What keeps people from just printing their own money on a high quality printer to use on these machines that accept...

What keeps people from just printing their own money on a high quality printer to use on these machines that accept paper money for paying?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=4RoZrtBijRY
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0198HHXA0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483130790&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=check printer&dpPl=1&dpID=41JWTiW6yxL&ref=plSrch
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

A high quality printer and ink. Enjoy buying 5000 candy bars and trying to fence them to pay for the printer.

Water marks

those things barely take real money as shown in your gif

Every consumer printer has some recognizable trace it leaves in prints just for this reason that will lead to your printer.
Also a fuck ton of other security features are prevalent in paper money. Watermarks. Layered printing. Special inks. I'm sure a lot more.

Is this really what Sup Forums has become? I've rarely been able to bring myself to lurk this board over the past couple years anymore. I used to shitpost here daily for years, but jesus the posters have gotten seemingly exponentially more retarded with time.

Not much stopping you, I believe they use some special ink though.

>print 5s
>insert fake 5 in machine.
>buy $1 drink
>get returned $4 in coins
>Repeat?

>the carding guy gave up on carding
Looks like we will have this thread every day for a few weeks.

I dunno if this was his shtick or not, but what's to stop someone from just trying all credit card numbers and PINs until one works?

I saw a news story a few months ago about how counterfeiters are printing 20s instead of 100s now. Everybody who gets handed a c-note looks at it carefully, holds it up to the light to look for the watermark, etc. No retail clerk does that for a 20. Everyone uses 20s since ATMs spit them out. They aren't suspicious at all. If the counterfeiters are worried about being detected they buy some electronics with the 20s and then return them. By the time the money is detected as counterfeit (usually when it's deposited at the bank) there's no way to tie it to any particular transaction.

honestly with the amount of times that faggot made the card thread, i honestly believe now that it was to try and bait the actual criminals here (if there even are any, but i imagine they would be on Sup Forums)

i can't see any other reason why the fucker would have been that persistent, even neet larpers move on to go do something else at some point like jack off

W E W
E
W

the jews are trying to phase out cash anyway

Any modern printer can print out really high quality images now with a higher DPI

rfids

Paper money generally has all sorts of legitimacy checkers and copy protections in place. In layers so deep no one knows all of them.
If you place a note in a scanner, you're very likely going to get told that printing money is illegal.
In addition, most printed media can be traced back to the printer and therefore it's original owner.

Any modern printer will also refuse to print currency. Also, say you did get your printer to print the money, everything it prints has a unique serial printed on it

>he doesn't buy a new printer and dismantle the old one every time he prints a page of dollar bills

not all of them

>Photoshop recognizes currency images and refuses to let you edit them
>GIMP doesn't know or care, it's like any other image
>even if it did anyone could patch it out of the source code

Forensic marks, which includes the yellow dots. Also specilized ink that is used in printing money. Also watermarks and a lot of printers scan (if not all) for the diagram which is in most of today's scanners.

>most printed media can be traced back to the printer and therefore it's original owner.

you can single out the printer but if you don't have a suspect you're shit out of luck

You could just buy something off Craigslist using tor deep web. Only make contact through email, pick up printer and pay in cash. Buy it in another county and it'll be extremely hard to find you once that guy is busted since the serial traces back to him.

Nothing's technically stopping you from trying it, but don't try and pretend like everyone else is incompetent and you won't trigger any safeguards / automated surveillance doing something like that.

And that's even before you consider the amount of computational power you're going to need to bruteforce shit.

What would work is getting access to (or recreating) some sort of authentication server or database (I'm not sure how CC authentication is done so this is probably actually impossible), and then verifying bruteforced cards against it in private, and then going out and using those card numbers + pins.

I would consider that method to be effectively impossible to track.

Buy your own acceptor and practice

>What keeps people from just printing their own money on a high quality printer
In the US:
The fact that it is illegal
In the rest of the world:
Money is really, really, really hard to "print". Criminals who do so, need much more equipment and knowlegde than a home printer and gimp.

Why would you ask such a question about a federal crime on a website followed by the Feds? Guys at Langley literally shit post here..

You don't think the governments of the world thought of this and put appropriate security measures in place? Jesus Christ kid.

>everyone talking about printing money on their $30 home printer and using gimp
I guess Sup Forums forgot that US dollars and the majority of currencies aren't actually made from paper. They're made from woven cotton and linen or plastic.

maybe because counterfeiting is illegal, i would rather use real precious metals for currency like silver, if stores ever start taking silver i would start exchanging money for .25 .50 & 1 once silver coin

What keeps people from just hacking the money slot so it goes in reverse and spits out money?

It's a fact that the CIA runs their own money printers inside the US

And guess what they used them for?
Tracking down rival drug lords so that only the CIA controlled black market drugs in the US.

How does this actually help a trace directly back to the printer though?

>Company X makes printer Y have set pattern
>Someone noticed money is fake
>Money gets scanned
>Printer Y gets flagged
>owner of printer Y must have printed it

It all comes back to records that you bought it

>I guess Sup Forums forgot that US dollars and the majority of currencies aren't actually made from paper. They're made from woven cotton and linen or plastic.
But you gotta admit that the US has the shittiest "paper" of them all. Every single dollar note that is not directly factory fresh looks and feels like a piece of paper that has been through the washing machine at least once.
with Canadian tire money or euros (or even fuckin asian shit like malay ringit) you immidiately see and feel that this "paper" is different from normal paper. With USD not so much.
Also, they dont have any holograms or other somewhat hard to fake and immidiately visible stuff.

Just follow the crumbs. Inventory control. Where was it shipped to? Where was it sold? Are there cameras showing who bought it? Who did that lady sell it to at her yard sale?

>Who did that lady sell it to at her yard sale?
Good thing people take scans of photo ID when they sell shit at yard sales.

I actually agree

do you know if banks will trade in notes or something? I always like to keep a small physical stash and I don't want to have it for so long that it becomes faded/old to the point it would be rejected

>buy printer from garage sale in another town
>print money
>poor sap you bought printer from goes to prison

what keeps people from just opening the vending machine with a screwdriver or hammer and taking the precious coca colas and candies inside?

It's detective work, jackass.
>Ma'am, did you recognize the person who bought it? Can you describe them or their vehicle?
It doesn't always pan out of course.

That's what I'm getting at. Each printer has a unique ID, right? Isn't the chain broken at point of sale from the store? The original equipment manufacturer would know which IDs were in which batches, but the place each end customer buys it from has no way of actually extracting that ID and storing that in the sales record. It seems too specific for some generic POS software.

Money is not printed on paper, but a mix of cotton and linen, and probably some other secret ingredient. Other than that you have watermarks, special identifying marks, singular red/blue threads, serial numbers, and a number of things that nobody knows about.

Not to mention you need to flatten the cotton/linen in a special process that among other things includes a hundred something ton press that isn't produced anywhere.

To actually pull through making "real money" requires a shitload of effort and investment.

>no access to the unique, special paper
>no holograms
>no etched serial number
>no security stripe within the paper
if it was so easy, we would not have any paper money since the 1980's.

Easily bypassed by bleaching real $1 bills

youtube.com/watch?v=4RoZrtBijRY

often there are cameras watching vending machines

and consumer and business printers not only remember what it is they've printed, but they leave a permanent identifying mark on the printout that supposedly is unique to the printer it came out of.

at least thats what I've always heard. Anybody know anything about the ID watermark on printouts? I've heard of electronics recycling places being victim to hacking, because they were recycling business printers that had all their print history stored on board, and that data is still valuable to the right person with the right interests

>Easily
Keep believing that. Bleaching is the best option, but it also destroys central identifying marks. What do you think happens to the red/blue fibers btw?

Don't let the door hit you on the way out, retard

Bills are printed with special ink that gives them a certain UV/IR/magnetic pattern. These patterns are what bill acceptors look for. If you use a regular home printer, it won't have the pattern.

Theoretically you could print your own money that looked like real money to the bill acceptor sensors, but if you have the time/money to do such a thing, you are really better off just paying actual money.

I doubt you'd have to get the paper material 100% to fool a vending machine

probably shouldn't post this online but when I was a kid i photocopied a $5 bill onto reg printer paper, front and back so it looked legit from a distance, didn't feel real at all. actually didn't even look that real, very washed out looking.

I used it in a token vending machine at a driving range, tokens were for a golf ball vending machine. it worked.

I had more luck with the diy fake manufacturers coupons found on Sup Forums

Paper Weight, magnetic ink, foil strip, UV print. All things required to use in a machine - dumbfuck.

You could make your own ink which mimics the look under UV/IR/magnetic patter.

I used to manage a business and in the four years doing that job I had employees accept fake bills twice. Once it was a $10 and another time is was a $20 bill. The easy way to tell is that there's no line inside the bill if you hold it to the light, and also no "glitter" on the bottom right. You can also tell they are fake from how they feel. It looks like they are tumbled to look worn which is the only thing that really makes them pass for a busy cashier.

Also whenever I found the bills I had to take them to the bank and then the bank would send them to the FBI with where they came from. They track counterfeits as they come and are probably looking for those printer marks and other things mentioned earlier in the thread.

My parents got convicted for doing this over a decade ago. They used some kind of cotton paper and a dual sided xerox machine.

What about coins? Is the value of the metal used too high?

US currency is made up of 75% cotton and 25% linen. It's not fucking paper. Everyone who is commenting in this thread is fucking retarded.

Nothing. Counterfeiting is a huge industry, especially in poor third world nations and governments that need cash in order to function (north korea, iran).

>>Photoshop recognizes currency images and refuses to let you edit them

Why do I keep hearing this? I've tried messing with every currency worth counterfeiting several times over the years and photoshop gladly edits all of them.

>Everyone who is commenting in this thread is fucking retarded.
Would that include:
>Money is not printed on paper, but a mix of cotton and linen

Probably easier than bills but the problem is volume. How much money can you get out of coins without it being susicious as hell?

There are $2 coins in Canada, 2 Euros, not sure of any bigger denominations. You'd have a hard time getting rich counterfeiting coins without drawing a lot of attention to the guy who moves 2 tons in metal every month and pays for everything in $2 coins.

>Theoretically you could print your own money that looked like real money to the bill acceptor sensors, but if you have the time/money to do such a thing, you are really better off just paying actual money.

It wouldn't be easy or cheap.

>Americans still use "paper" money
>Americans still use pennies

Can't get any dumber than this.

Well for one thing, if you try that on a xerox machine it will lock down and cant be unlocked without very high level support from the company. Not to mention the series of dots on the print can be traced back to a serial number for a machine.

why are you holding onto fake currency?

Imagine some kid photocopying a dollar bill in every photocopier in your building and bricking every single one.

can you please give The Queen a moustache and post the result here?

Asking for a friend.

kek

Goddammit.

Some of them have no mechanism for returning money once it has been stored.

>without very high level support from the company
You mean the famous Xerox-NASA-CERN special forces group directly under command from the President of the United States? It cannot be!

Dont joke, I have been witness to having to fucking fix some idiot doing that and having to spend a day with the cops.

If you think this thread was serious, you are mistaken. All of this is rampant shitposting because some people think it is funny.

It is not.

The firmware isnt exactly open source, they can lock a machine on the hardware level pretty easily like any other manufacturer of tech. If a repair guy goes in and finds someone tried copying money there is going to be serious questions.

>coupons
Oh god that was old time Sup Forums. that shit still pops up occasionally but gets pruned as fast as if it were pizza. Never had the balls to try it but it did look sound in theory

Buy printer from thrift store. Or buy brand new printer with cash, hoping the store hasn't yet implemented their facial recognition security camera system yet, then never register the printer or use it on a machine connected to the internet.

And run the machine in a Faraday cage in a completely internal room of the building because you never know.

That's me.

don't forget the sneaky yellow printer dots recording your serials 'n stuffs.

No, it's not. I would know, since that was me. Nice try though.

I'm a manager and where I work, all 20s get a quick swipe on the magnetic ink detector at least. I've only ever seen one counterfeit 20 that had magnetic ink, and at that point it's pretty much unidentifiable until you expose it to water and it melts.

I didn't similar let me know if u want green text.

You can do it if you understand how the machine senses the real one.

If you can make a machine take a fake bill and prove it I'll eat my hat

kinda like when kids used to make putty molds from coins and fill them with water, put them in the freezer and rush the fuck out to play Pac-Man

>Is this really what Sup Forums has become?
yes, see c*rding and v*pe threads
not this guy but kill yourself

ty senpai

GUYS HOLD ON
JUST FUCKING STOP AND LISTEN

The identification dots used on printers is across the whole sheet, and bills are like 1/6th of the sheet.
That alone is separation of the data.

But this goes deeper down.

On the laser printers, the big ones anyway, the markings are on the back. Of the print.
So you could just open the printer and physically disable the system. Or just add a backing sheet when you print.
It isn't fucking rocket science.

Right, because MICR is hard to get.

Oh fuck wait....
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0198HHXA0/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483130790&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=check printer&dpPl=1&dpID=41JWTiW6yxL&ref=plSrch

Because the cheap ass acceptors all across America will be able to tell paper from paper made from cotton on the fly?
The intent was to trick them by fulfilling their requirements to accept. I don't think it even has to fully resemble a bill, just literally the checked spots must have the correct marks.

you didn't

so why would we want a green text?

>I don't think it even has to fully resemble a bill, just literally the checked spots must have the correct marks.
ATMs use very simple methods of verifying documents (currency). The simplest is known as MDD. A light is shone through the document as it passes out of the cartridge or in through the acceptor. A detector output is compared with the signatures of known currency and a pass/fail signal is generated.

>Watermarks
>Layered printing
>Special inks

so basically paper money is security through obscurity?

someone get Applebaum to report on this

I heard this before but it's ridiculous since you can buy a printer with cash at any store without giving any info.
so even if the printer is traced there is no way to connect it to the owner.

Dude...

Most modern printers can recognize they are printing money and will refuse to print it.

but they can prove u printed it if they get ur printer and have some other way of knowing your a faker

I miss those notes.

Nobody even knows all the security features.

The $ scanners are black boxes, nobody even knows what they are looking for in a dollar bill.

You can't even use regular paper, you have to use cotton, special ink, layered printing, watermarks, textures, hidden markings, etc.

Some even say that the serial number itself tells the scanner to look for certain purposeful imperfections implemented on that specific note based on the number. Without knowing what to look for, the notes are impossible to replicate, since you can't even figure out how to make a reference bill.

Even if they could be beaten, you will get arrested very, very quickly. Counterfeit cases have a special priority where your rights don't matter, and the FBI has carte blanche to do whatever it takes to find and stop you.

Are you drunk? You sound drunk.
Of course if they find you they're going to find your printer but what I'm saying is that they can't trace you by the printer. What the hell man

Nobody? Not even companies that make these sensors? Are they guessing?