Help me choose a Linux distro to replace my current install

Help me choose a Linux distro to replace my current install.

I just want to start using Linux more often, at least on the laptop I use for uni.

I've been using Manjaro GNOME til now, but it feels really bland honestly. Used Ubuntu too, didn't really like it, but that was on 10.10, would be willing to try it again.

What I'd want you to recommend me is a distro that could work on a mid/low-end laptop that'd have good battery life and feels comfy to work with.
Or just tell me what distro you use and why should I try it.

I don't really care about possible difficulties, I'm willing to learn.

So thanks, I suppose.

Other urls found in this thread:

i3wm.org/docs/refcard.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

You can have a good battery life by installing TLP program and an SSD.

I think the DE affects performance more than distro choise, so maybe try something other than Gnome.

Thanks for the response.

I already have installed an SSD on my laptop. I get the answer, and thanks, but my question was more about being in the search of a different distro because I've done so much shit in the actual one, fucked up several times, etc , that I felt it was time for a change.

Maybe I worded it incorrectly. I put the battery life matter there because I remember a friend complaining that when he installed a Linux distro his battery life went to shit. I thought that was mainly a kernel problem, but as I know jack shit about Linux I put it there in case it really is the distro you use, not the kernel what fucks up battery life.

And the second most important for battery life, on multi-gpu laptops at least, is the driver in use and the power state of the other GPU than iGPU. Often the other GPU needs to be turned off even if there aren't drivers for it in use. Just mentioning, if you happen to have an NVidia Optimus or such laptop like I do.

I will still certainly follow these comments, thanks, I'll check up on them.

>getting bored of your distro

If you're looking for a distro that'll be your personal timesink, install Arch but I think you'd be better off learning how to code instead.

No is almost never the kernel being badly written, it's just that as a Linux user, you need to care about every detail that might be using up the battery, as opposed to OSX where every last detail of what goes into saving that battery energy has been thought out for you already.

>I've been using Manjaro GNOME til now, but it feels really bland honestly.

Changing the distro won't change much.

Want something fun? Try the Manjaro with i3wm. You won't find much extra in other distros that you won't find in manjaro desu. You get a different package manager, but if you want something exciting then try a wm like i3.. Very nice to rice it to perfection. It is fun to have everything follow the same theme. And you can run the whole thing with your keyboard (except internet browsing is still something you would do with a mouse) but it is a substantial different experience.

It will also do wonders for battery life because it is very economic with memory and that sort of thing. You can also install some power manager from the AUR.

The stock Linux kernel is geared towards use on servers, getting a kernel geared towards laptop use is better for battery life.

This.

i'll try a live usb then

get a "cheat sheet" for it i3wm.org/docs/refcard.html

looks a bit daunting, you'll learn it in a couple of minutes.

I don't know how different Manjaro is from Arch Linux (since it's based on Arch) but you could give just Arch a try. I've been using it for several years on my desktop and a laptop I use for uni with no problems.

It's really not that hard to install and maintain because it's all explained in detail on the Wiki. Arch probably has the best wiki of any distro out there, which is great if you're willing to learn.

>low-end laptop
Lubuntu, but you want pretty so maybe try Ubuntu MATE, or Xubuntu which is midway between the two.

Apartheid Linux. The last OS you'll ever need

Just use Arch. It's easy to install (there are good YouTube tutorials). Occasionally, you'll have issues in the beginning but after you learn a little, there's very little maintenance needed. You'll hear bullshit about breakage on/g/, but it's just simply untrue

>I don't know how different Manjaro is from Arch Linux

It's basically Arch for non-autists. Just with drivers and some software pre-installed and looks prettier out of the box.

more like womanjaro

Christ dudes if you can't handle the install of vanilla arch just use architect. Does all the hard work for you and no security issues. Do your research. Just say no to Manjaro. Plus they have no ethical issues with stealing their logo.

>Christ dudes if you can't handle the install of vanilla arch just use architect.

>needs internet to install
>wifi don't work
>ethernet don't work

arch installers is a meme. At least Manjaro comes with batteries included.

A R C H
R
C
H

It hooks it up for you! For fuck sake don't be obstinate for the sake of being obstinate

Mint