Backup

What's the best backup program Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/systemback
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Gommon Senze 2019 XDDDD

Copy-paste

dunno, I use Cobian Backup for occasional backup refresh to external HDD

I was thinking of backing up my stuff and then downgrading to windows 7 but the backup stalled at 97%

Some people recommend rsync, so I'm digging it now.

git

bacula.

rsync i guess.

i don't know. stop being a faggot and figure it out yourself.

Install Gentoo

I use FreeFileSync

might not be a highly configurable pro solution but lets me sleep well and that's all I care for

crontab -e
0 0 * * * rsync -azv /PointA/ /PointB

This.

have 3 rolling backup devices. format one, copy and paste to it overnight.

clone it to the other 1 device, keep the 3rd with older data just incase.

robocopy if you arent autistic

rsync or git depending on whether you want just one backup or multiple versions

Does this work properly? Like lets say if I format and I want to go back to a previous state? Doesn't seem like it to me.

I would like to backup my main drive.

Have any of you been using Déjà Dup? Is it reliable? I was thinking of using that on Ubuntu when I make it my main OS.

cront + rsync and tar

If you want something simple try Unison.

thats why you keep 3 backups going. 2 new, and 1 old

Borg because the rest is shit.

I just realize you want to do a full system backup. You might want to look at Systemback then, the installation instructions are here launchpad.net/systemback

Aoemei backupper is the literal only choice. Free version let's you make/schedule/ search through and make a usb recovery disk

If you want to do a simple backup DejaDup is more than enough, is also newbie friendly.

Systemback is for powerusers though.

Windows has filehistory feature, which is easier to use. Of course you have to keep in mind that Windows is a proprietary malware.

No you were right — it's just a "set and forget" way of backing up /home. I was just going to use "Backups" in Ubuntu, which uses Déjà Dup, I'll have a look at Unison as well.

No you were right — I was looking for a "set it and forget it" way of backing up /home. I was just going to use "Backups" in Ubuntu, which uses Déjà Dup. I'll have a look at Unison as well.

np

fsarchiver for a partition backup. rsync to an external hd for a directory backup.

Oh, did you mean windows? I dunno.

Best backup is no backup. All my important documents are kept on an external flash drive. The rest (music, videos, etc) I have no attachment to and if I lose them I know where to download them again. I annually wipe, format, and reinstall OSes on all my computers and devices anyway so I've grown to not need to carry over data from wipe to wipe. It makes life easier not having the fear of losing data. If I lose that flash drive I have all school related and job related docs on the school drive and my work drive so still no loss.

All of Linux / Windows and Android:
Syncthing or perhaps BT Sync.

Linux:
Bacula.
DejaDup / Duplicity.
Rsync in your cron / at or systemd's scheduler.

Or very filesystem specific quick methods, such as btrfs send / receive or xfsdump.

Windows:
Duplicati.
Cobian.

Or for irregular one-direction single version "backups", fastcopy.

>fsarchiver
I just look into it and seems pretty interesting. There is even a QT GUI frontend.

>Bacula
That looks like another level of backup, like enterprise level.

zfs snapshot + zfs send cronjob

a flash drive

It's intended to be enterprise level and conceptually actually strongly respecting tape drives

But it's also not a *huge* effort to set it up for your own backups either.

Takes maybe 20-30 minutes to change those 40 lines of configuration in the example configuration to the behaviour you want (which folders you want backed up where, how long you want your backups retained, how often you want them verified, ...).

And it will retain a pretty good log of what happened when, and provide you with relatively fast search indices even if the whole thing is ultimately sitting on a slow as fuck HDD on an 8MB/s connection that would take a long time to run a search on, or that is even offline right now.

That said, feel free to use the simpler solutions.

Thanks for the break down man.

No problem. That said, hey, you might not need that big tool.

Duplicity might do all you need in an one-liner. Or DejaDup in a simple GUI.

And Syncthing (maybe BT Sync) is the thing that would make it simple to pretend you have a cloud with versioning. You can just share folders between devices including retaining versions of them.
It'll figure out how to connect to the other devices and how to sync if it's possible to do it at all & if not, you get warnings.

If do not think you need anything fancy, perhaps start with these.

Yeah, I'll stick to rsync and going to try fsarchiver. But is good to know a tool like bacula anyway, is one of those things that might come in handy when you need serious stuff to be done.

a raid array

Sure.

That said, I prefer duplicity. I generally want networked backups and it has the required support to do all the basics with regards to that even in an one-liner.

I'm pretty sure when I tried it, fsarchiver wouldn't even actually let you manage your archives very well. That is, what do you do if you want your old backups deleted but basically NO chance to make a mistake and delete too many or an archive where you once added that one thing you don't have another copy of? And stuff like that.

cp

Incredibly prone to errors that you can't undo or won't even see.

Or creating way too many copies of every file if you always to a full copy to a dated folder or such.

>For files and data
Rsync
>for whole systems
Dd and gzip

dd
'Nuff said

Get sync