/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vbafGD4TcVo
sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html
virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-storageattach
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Hoping someone can help with this.

I need to recover files from an SD card, but unfortunately I don't have an SD card reader. They're on a camera so it's MTP, which, as I just learned, means that software like recuva or photorec can't read the memory card.

Is there any way I can recover these files?

I was thinking I could make an image of the drive and then run recovery software on that, but I'm not really sure if that's possible, again due to MTP.

Please help.

MTP is limited as fuck. If you care about getting your shit back, you're buying a reader or borrowing from a friend. They're like 3 bucks on ebay. The readers too

check'd

Is there anything wrong with Daemon Tools, or should I be using something else to mount my isos?

I'll repost my question.

Below is a video showing how the camera tracking on a smartphone can follow a piece of paper. Could someone give me the quick run down on what it would take to make something like this? I want to make my own but using different objects.Thanks

youtube.com/watch?v=vbafGD4TcVo

WinCDEmu is best mounting

That's not how you finger a butthole

WinCDEmu, most unobtrusive

Could I beat Rousey in a fight?

>use trackpoint for a decade
>ThinkPad dies
>got gifted a non ThinkPad laptop
Shit, now what?

Alternative for traditional mouse that's similar to trackpoint?

Hibernate or sleep?

None of them. Either 24/7 or total shutdown.

Thanks

Normally I like figuring this shit out for my self but I'll ask Sup Forums cause I have no idea what the fuck the problem is.

I've been OCing my i7 6700k but Ive been getting insane temps and some thermal throttling in games (skipping and so on). I decided to try to figure out what the issue was. I cleaned everything re-applied thermal paste brand new then I went and set everything back to stock Well I am playing csgo the only game I usually play and my temps are still hitting 90+. I even made sure all fan headers are running at max speed. I have no fucking idea why. Is my all in one watercooler going bad or something? Could it be that I applied the thermal paste wrong? It was hitting these same temps before i even changed the thermal paste? I'm going to try

I had to take the side panel off to get it to hit 80C and at times it still hit fucking 88-90c.

vsync on or off?

off

Hibernate

why?

Off unless you're getting tearing.

Hibernate
I like to shut down though desu

No

(You)

What causes more space to be taken up in my C:\ drive? I turned off my computer to plug in a new power strip today, booted up and my C:\ drive's used capacity went from 40GB before turning off to 46GB. What gives?

>inb4 windows
I have 10 but I've disabled auto-updates. Unless that's a placebo?

Also are AIO watercoolers prone to getting clogged or anything like that? I've had it for over a year

Lots of different temp files. You can use CCleaner to keep that stuff under control.

It's an optional thing that negatively impacts your performance. If you don't feel like you need it, don't use it

hibernation. You can turn that off if you don't it removes something like 5-20gb

sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enable-disable.html

What's the high quality bitrate ofr Opus? Like, if I want to listen to high quality MP3 audio, I just look for 320 kb/s. If I want high quality opus, what bit rate am I encoding to?

192kbit/s

This, plus your page file.

I have a similar issue but it's on an ssd. Will deleting files from an ssd fuck it up or does trim prevent that issue? Anons here keep saying never to move/delete files from an ssd but I can't tell if they're joking or not.

You forgot to circle "set". It's easy to miss.

Any answer on my actual questions?

Thank you, anons. I appreciate this.

Adds have limited writes in their lifetime, but it's usually a lot.
If you use it like a regular hard drive it'll be fine.

I am 99% sure my wife is cheating on me, I know she's been deleting texts and doing suspicious things like telling me shes at work when shes out with her coworkers. I honestly didnt even suspect a thing until a few of my friends and family came to me. Bottom line I guess is I need to know if any of you had a similar experience and if anyone knows of a way to log her texts/calls (sms backup wont work because she deletes them before the app can back them up) or maybe a way to recover deleted texts (she has a galaxy a5), thanks for any and all input

No, you don't have to worry about deleting things. Technically an SSD has a limited number of writes for any given area, but the rest of your computer will probably be dead and gone long before you ever reach that limit. It helps both your longevity, but more importantly your speed to have free space on the drive, although a lot of SSDs come with unacessable free space to handle that automatically.

Would it be dumb to use a blow dryer on a heatless setting to clean out the dust in my computer?

Thank (You)

I just dropped my laptop a small distance onto a soft surface. Everything seemed fine, but I stepped away for a moment and found my laptop had completely shut down. I turned it back on and everything's fine, but I'm worried whether I fucked something up.

Have you checked if the battery didnt fall slighty out?

WebWatcher and mSpy, but what you're talking about is illegal in most U.S. jurisdictions. Just confront her.

That's kind of what trim is for.

When you write data to an SSD, if the cells being written to already contain data, they first need to be erased (i.e. 0100010010100100 -> 0000000000000000), before they can be written to.

When you delete or modify a file, the remnants are left behind in the disk. Trim is a feature where the OS will tell the SSD to mark the deleted sectors for erasing, and the SSD will go along after all its jobs are finished, wiping those sectors so they are ready to write again.
If this doesn't occur, every time you write to a sector that hasn't been cleared, the SSD will erase it, then write to it, which takes a LOT longer than just writing to it.

If you don't have TRIM support, your SSD write speed will slow down dramatically over time.

I would be worried about the amount of static it produces. Just use chemical air cans unless you're a junkie that can't be trusted with that shit

what is Restyled reply tracking?

No, but it was plugged in so would that have mattered?

Confronting her will do nothing unfortunately, she's lied to me before and we're at a very volatile state in the relationship right now.

(You)

How about an air mattress pump, or same issue?

Sorry, didnt know that. Sorry

pls no kill, sorry

sorry again

No more (You)s

just lock it

user please I didn't mean it like that sorry user

Again,

Sweet. Thanks guys.

What? I'm getting (You)s in replies to me.

That should be fine.
Hair dryers are designed to produce static. It makes your hair "poofy", and is a marketable feature.

A pump should be OK, but don't be afraid to just take your computer apart and use a microfiber cloth to wipe down the PCB's

you need to get an SD card reader
recovery programs need direct block access to the card, any kind of abstraction like MTP will not provide block-level access to the card

I think it might have been reverted based on hugely negative preliminary polls.

wait so
you want to recover deleted texts or spy on her

Either way, both are illegal without consent, and are against the rules of this website.
Also,

if it's a desktop;
- need to unplug it (moving it?), hibernate, otherwise sleep or hybrid sleep

if it's a laptop;
- if it's a short period, sleep, otherwise hibernate as it saves power over longer periods and can survive through the battery going flat

do you just hang out here to spoil the interesting questions

if it's something where a smooth picture is more important than responsiveness (RPG, RTS, video playback, etc), then enable vsync, except in the case that you can't consistently run the program at your monitors' refresh rate, then leaving vsync off may be faster

No, it's not an interesting question if it has other people involved.

My wife has consented to installation of a text tracker (hence the SMS backup), I guess because she knew how to beat it. I was just asking for advice on the situation and I would settle for something along the lines of deleted text recovery to at least put my mind to rest

Chromium or Firefox for muh privacy? And yeah I'm aware TAILS is ideal but I'm just a fag with a VPN and ublock origin.

>My wife has consented to installation of a text tracker

Bullshit. GTFO

>Is my all in one watercooler going bad or something?
Yes. Get a Noctua or a bequiet! cooler. It's all air in the end anyway.

this, the only times my system starts getting fucky is when I used to put it to sleep.

Firefox.

>the only times my system starts getting fucky is when I used to put it to sleep.
I don't have that problem on a Mac or on a Linux OS, it's always fucking Windows that fucks up sleep or hibernate.

you should ask /ck/, there is a cooking board you know

Coming from Linux to windows for the first time in 5 years. What are my options for internet browsers besides chrome and Firefox. Or are those literally it

vivaldi
brave

Those are effectively it. Everything else is down hill from there

>brave
When nothing but a "privacy" browser that bases it's business model around uploading your history for targeted ads will do

Edge is not too bad of a browser. It's only flaws are some design choises and very poor support for extensions.

what's a 20 dollar cousin I could sit on in my car to relieve ass pain for sitting all day

>what's a 20 dollar cousin
I really don't know.

Edge is fine if you're into that whole "not installing things" thing. But ideally when one mentions choices beyond chrome and firefox they're looking for BETTER ones.

You should not use a cousin to relieve your ass pain

Best software for simulating sex stuff? I want to rehearse before my bf's day off.

honey select

Should I take the stash of money I have and buy a 1080ti and save more to buy a better monitor later, or buy the upcoming top of the line AMD card, a new monitor, and pay off my mortgage all at the same time?

Updated Kaspersky (I fucking know) on a pc and it gave a x000000d1 BSoD trying to access MyKaspersky.

Tested a few applications and general shit real quick to make sure it wasn't a graphics driver problem. Thought it was a problem with internet access since they just added Kapsersky Secure Connection with any applications still active in 2017, but I don't think anything changed.

Is x000000d1 just a dump file or bugcheck error or is it a driver bug?

Got a Sony Xperia XA ultra
are there any good custom ROMs for this thing or am I eternally fucked with Cyanogenmod dying

I shouldn't just use gmod?

use whatever works for you. HS is just more recent and has an easy thread on /h/ to steal from.

cushion

>Have shit server.
>Have powerful ThinkPad.
>Want to turn shit server into VM on ThinkPad.
>Want to multiple HDDs to be accessed by VM in ThinkPad, but don't want host system to be able to see data.

How can I redirect drives to VM in virtualbox without the host seeing?

You could always just pass it the device handle, but the host kernel still does the I/O.

Can you elaborate? And yes I'll be running Windows on the host, and guest.

You could just encrypt the drives and only store the key in the VM.

Ah, no.
I was assuming Linux.

Nah, Windows won't let you do that without overheads.

What are the advantages & disadvantages of using bars of soap vs using liquid soap in the shower?

Attach the drive directly to the VM as a block device and do

How do I do this with Virtualbox on Windows?

You don't. Windows is shit.

In addition to this, what is the best antivirus and anti-adware extension setup these days?

Preferably something that doesn't literally spy on your internet connection.

Bars of soap are cheaper and last longer, but you have to lather it up to get it applied everywhere.

Liquid soap is easy, but more expensive. You can also soap up without really washing yourself, at least with bar soap you have to rub it on.

I got a pack of dove men's bar soap and its lasted me the better part of a year.

virtualbox.org/manual/ch08.html#vboxmanage-storageattach

rtfm