Let's contribute thread

How hard would it be to port notepad++ in Linux, considering the source of npp is open (Looks like it's written in C++ with the boost framework)

Also, which project should I pick?
strawpoll.me/11997064

Please note that all of those projects are somewhat big for a single dev.
If anyone who is proficient with C, C++, GTK+3, or PyPy please feel free to join me.

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>Sup Forumspoll

yeah, nah.

What do you mean?

Why would you want notepad++ when you can use vim? I don't understand.

Vim/Emacs has a learning curve. Many people do not want to waste time learning editor-only skills before programming. If you do, that's fine and I respect that.

Make sure you write it in Haskell

gedit already exists for those people.
Even then, I wouldn't be surprised if notepad++ has some reliance on Windows-specific APIs or whatever.

>fixed version

Why would you want notepad++ when you can use emacs? I don't understand.

>Windows-specific APIs
That's the challenge. I may have to come up with a decent API for that

port Notepad++ with it and make sure it fully supports wayland

1 all of that already exists. At least in thunar.
2 there are better alternatives. In fact even on windows there is no reason to use that shitware.
3 Sounds the most promising. But if it has to use systemd it belongs in the trash.

1 and 3 is wrong and I don't want to cause a flame war, user

are*

How is 1 wrong?
ctrl + s brings up a pattern search function. If thats not a enough it would take no more then an hour to write a plugin that excepts regular expressions. Thumbnails resize with ctrl + {scroll, +/-}. And open with is what you would expect. Lists your last used option for the filetype first and your other used programs next followed by "open with other application". I'm kinda doubting you have tried anything besides what shipped with whatever distro you used. Do you think that no one else has had these ideas before?

file picker
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/File_Picker_meme

Well, the thing about Notepad++ is that it's entirely written in the Win32 API. So you would need to rewrite the entire thing. Now, developing a text editor isn't the hardest task in the world, and developing it to look like an existing one shouldn't be too difficult either. But strictly speaking, the majority of the code in Notepad++ would be useless when porting to another system, as again, pretty much none of it will work outside of Windows.

Can you tell me something about Yuni framework?

It's shit.

I wasn't joking.

Justify

It's written in C++
It doesn't have a C API/ABI (Every library expecting to be taken seriously needs this, even if it's not written in C)
It's OOP
It has 3 contributors on github, so it's not widely used (not that this is a direct indicator of quality, but should be taken into consideration)
Its supposed goals are vague as fuck. After reading the README, I still don't know what it's actually supposed to do.

I saw a notepad++ dev talking about using Yuni for a cross platform version of npp 6

Use ed, other editors are bloated and inferior.

Take your shitty meme to

Linux has plenty of GUI editors.
If you're looking for something to do, try porting software to Wayland like i3.

>try porting software to Wayland like i3
sway has made it pretty far.

I'm sure sway is looking for contributors.

They are. They even have bounties on features implemented.

Well OP, be a hero.

Not interested in writing a WM, sorry.

What about the Rust language?

Boost isn't a framework

lol nope

>How hard would it be to port notepad++ in Linux, considering the source of npp is open
It's called Notepadqq. Only downside: Creator expects you to write extensions in JS.

>Notepadqq has no features
Then go add some.

why even port that retarded shit to Linkek? can you please stay away with your windows crap? thanks!

>autism

Port autohotkey to linux plz.

Pretty sure there are lots of alternatives already, e.g. Autokey.

And I'm pretty sure there are alternatives to notepad++ already

No, there aren't. It's either autism or web bloat, or something that is too native to the DEs look and feel. Notepadqq is literally the closest thing to Notepad++ there is.

Whereas with Autohotkey, a direct equivalent is impossible.

>Whereas with Autohotkey, a direct equivalent is impossible.
I-is it? How come?

Other hooks, different APIs by different DEs etc pp.

Then use Sublime text or VS Code.

>Other hooks, different APIs by different DEs etc pp.
Just make it work for ubuntu-based distros and you'll hit like 90% of desktop linux users

fuck off and please don't tarnish my linkek OS with your wintrash
THANKS!

no, then learn Vim and stop crying about a "high" learning curve. what you will be using sublime or vs for probably already has a learning curve which is a lot higher

here
$ vimtutor

Isn't there notepadqq? I've never used it but I thought that was basically the same thing as notepad++

>Well, the thing about Notepad++ is that it's entirely written in the Win32 API.
wait, I thought notepad++ was the evolution of SciTE, which uses scintilla, which is multiplatform... not sure where I got this idea.

why the fuck would anyone want to do that when based vim exists?