Un-googling

Un-googling
What services have you un-googled yourself from in 2016?

>me
chrome (and bookmarks, password manager - switched to firefox)
drive (switched to dropbox)
photos (manual backup every so often)
keep (switched to evernote. not as simple but it's ok)
youtube (set up separate burner account)
search (use DDG, Bing and StartPage if necessary)

>still to do
android (once this phone dies, maybe switch to windows if its still around, maybe iphone, or maybe just forget about smartphones)

I'll probably keep my current Gmail as my main personal email, it's been too many years. But just as a standalone email service. No other services tied-in. It's too dnagerous to have all your eggs in one basket.

>drive (switched to dropbox)
is that the only alternative to drive there is? i know there's mega, but the reason i like drive is that it allows people to view photos and videos without first downloading them using that drive share link. is there any other service that does this?

box.com
Supports webdavfs so you can just mount it.

>dropbox
Still a botnet, though. I've seen OwnCloud mentioned here many times, so maybe look into that. Otherwise you are just sending your files to someone else's computer.

>GMail
It took me a good 2-3 weeks to fully move my account away from GMail to a non-U.S. based provider. No regrets, even though it did require a considerable amount of effort, GMail being my main account and all.

>youtube (set up separate burner account)
you think it is now hard to catch you up, goy?

>evernote
You realise microsoft sells your data too right

>set up separate burner account
Why even have a YT account to begin with?

True, but my main concern isn't hiding from da gubbament. It's diversifying my services so there's no single point of failure. Also dividng them prevents advertiser profiles from being accurate.

no, but if my comments with my pepe avatar provoke someone's ire too much and they ban not juts my channel but the whole google account associated with it, at least my proper account is insulated.

comments, playlists, subscriptions, 18+ videos

This. Just bookmark your favourite channels also check SkyTube for Android out as well.

Also why go over to a Windows Phone? Just use an Android ROM.

Google fanboy here. I'm pretty much exclusively using Google services where I can help it. Where is my online data safer? With Dropbox? Microsoft? Facebook, even? No thanks.

That said, use a privacy shield, embrace HTTPS, use a VPN where possible, and stick to a UNIX based OS for your daily needs. Stay safe out there.

>pretty much exclusively using Google services >stay safe out there

I actually did the total opposite of what you've been doing. This year I finally accepted the fact that I can't hide completely from the botnet without causing myself real trouble when it comes to doing just basic shit that everyone else does. So I went balls deep. Switched from Firefox to Chrome because it's been so sluggish the past year or so, started using Google Now on my phone which syncs up with Chrome and recommends me news articles based on my browsing history, stopping using other cloud services and switched exclusively to Google Drive, and I was never going to use anything other than google.

All in all, it creeps me out the shit google knows about me, but it's been convenient and as a meaningless NEET who will never amount to anything and should probably go ahead and kill himself right now so that he isn't wasting more people's time in the new year, it doesn't matter if Google knows everything I do because I don't matter.

You're a weakling, that's all. It's not your fault. If you don't kill yourself, then maybe you will grow strong one day. Maybe.

>switched to evernote
Lmao

The post of a defeated man.
Dont worry kid, not everyone is cut out for this.

I manually installed the Google search engine on my ungoogled-chromium

>recommends me news articles based
uh dude, that's one of the biggest problems

I mean, I guess normally? But I read literally everything so, I get articles from Huffington Post, BBC, and Breitbart in pretty much the same breath.

>being this paranoid
>all of this teenage anxiety
>spending so much time to just relive the 90s
Oh you poor, poor children.

Who could be behind this post?

firefox (never used chrome)
syncthing/sftp (never used drive)
""
don't know what keep is
isn't an alternative to youtube, but it doesn't require an account, nor do you need the site for much at all, even with javascript off it's usable
ddg/bing (bing's not bad, actually, access it over tor since MS isn't any better than google for privacy)

i had a gmail account at one point years ago, but switched to lavabit, then lavabit died so i got a vps and hosted my mail from there

>Where is my online data safer? With Dropbox? Microsoft? Facebook, even? No thanks.

>going to a public toilet to pick up your groceries

Amazon Drive

I'm actually trying to unify all my services, so the more that Google comes out with the Better.
My goal is to have all my tech services be through Google and Apple.

out of the drying pan and into the fire

I left dropbox for owncloud

>keep (switched to evernote)
So now you give your information to two botnets instead of one?

I left owncloud for google drive.

so, uh, what did you do to defeat the botnet in 2016?
Selected entries:
>(almost) deleted my name from google search results- still indexes dead links
>deleted 20+ accounts on various websites and scrambled infos
>deleted one google account
>reclaimed three old yahoo accounts (don't ask)
>ditched using webmail
>still using google search, considering Yandex and YaCy.
>ditched firefox for icecat
>setup strict umatrix rules
>blocked news websites in favor of rss
>permanently killed windows updates and all telemetry
>started using locally stored secure passwords
>secured my bios
>self hosted cloud server
>killed capatcha with Sup Forums pass

for next year:
>dull disk encryption
>(eventually) delete my extra email accounts
>run own email server
>use offline maps and OSM
>linux
>ditch all google products/services besides android

might as well move to bumfuck nowhere and live in the woods

Good thread OP.

Chrome: ditched on phone and PC.
Now I use Lightning, Firefox and K-Meleon.

My default search provider is now Duckduckgo on both phone amd PC.

I now actively search F-droid every day to ungoogle the most apps I can on my smartphone.

To ditch in 2017:
Google's location services on Android. Google Drive and Gmail. (after I finish the university, it'll be no problem switching to Dropbox and Hotmail.)

I will continue my path to ungoogling in 2017.

>defeat the botnet
>permanently killed windows updates

>YouTube
>set up a burner account
I hope you know this is placebo.

i left google drive for your mum, she has more storage space

One day google will share all your liked or saved videos with every business contact on your gmail.

>chrome
used it just to test it,15min
>drive
used it just test preview files, apparently it's shit anyway,10min
>photos
used it just to test it, others are better
Use:youtube, search,mail,android