/hpg/ - Headphone General

~~ PLEASE USE THIS FORM TO GET PURCHASE ADVICE ~~

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Last thread:

I need a cheap (

Buy the amp now (magni 2/uber) with a cheap RCA to 3.5 cable for your PC line out then wait on the DAC til your autismbux come in next month.

>tfw you have new headphones coming in

RHA MA750i vs 1more Triple Driver? Not sure if I can justify paying twice the price for the 750s.

>but it can only drive 40mW RMS per channel @ 300ohm which is bullshit
why what's wrong with that?

>why what's wrong with that?
40mW is way too low to drive 300Ω cans. you wanna be in >200mW range.

the voltage sensitivity of the headphones is what matters

you do realize 40mW would get the HD650 to over 110dB SPL

I'm planning to get the ATH-AD700x, anybody used it/have experience with it? Looking at it in particular because I need light headphones that I would be able to wear for a while, since I get compression headaches from my current ones.

Using g430s atm (gaming headset, don't care what you guys say about them) so pretty much anything is a bump up in quality for me. Don't really give much of a fuck about differences in sound quality between high end headphones since everything will sound good to me.

Any other super comfy/light headphones to look at besides the ad700x? ~$100, open ear, over ear. Will be a clip on mic as well (anybody have recommendations for one?).

What would compliment X2's better, DT880's or 6XX when they drop again?

is Razer Surround a meme?

>Razer anything
Yes. There are other virtual surround programs that are probably more lightweight and stable than anything razer provides.

All virtual surround sofware have the same problem: The effect only works in third or first person games where you spend your time in large, open areas. Corridors and other tight spaces sound like echo chambers and music is absolute dogshit.

Is the Ath m50x still good? I'm thinking of getting new headphones because I recently lost my sennheiser ie8. I don't want iems anymore and I want something with a detachable 3.5mm cable because I keep breaking that shit

it was never good

I have the discontinued 700 model, they're super comfy and feather light.

Most would tell you to go with the M40x over the M50x unless you REALLY value midbass pver everything else. Save your bux and EQ if you need more bass.

I am planning on getting a pair of hifiman HE400i headphones as my neighbors have been complaining about noise at night from my stereo.

Would I need an amp for the headphones or is the built in headphone amp on my Peachtree Nova 150 sufficient for it?

what do you mean "compliment"

Alright Sup Forums I am very much just done with my current headset, I've had to resort to tape to keep the mic boom into place for the past year and I'm over it.

I've heard all of it about gaming headsets and how they are shit.
So I bought a SM-48, and a Focusrite Scarlett to drive it.
I'll play with isolators after trying that out, but I am confident that was the right way to go for my difficult use cases.

Now onto the headphones.
What the fuck do I do? The old Sup Forums meme ath-m50s don't seem like the King anymore. So what's the new one?
M40x?
I have a budget of around 150 US...
I can not have sound bleed. That is a absolute must. Under no means can it bleed into my microphone. But I don't want noise cancelation, I need to be able to hear myself and what's going on around me.
They will only be used on my pc, mostly for games and YouTube/movies. So I'm not looking for some high end kit, but not something that looks like a piece of shit.

Please send help /hpg/

what are /hpg/'s thoughts on the beoplay h6 mkIIs?
I'm looking to get some headphones that are decently sturdy, portable, and don't make me look like a total autist on top of actually being good, and from what I've been reading these seem to fit that.

If you're already going full retard, go for the newly released H9.

are the h6's bad? I'm not memeing here, I genuinely have no clue other than seeing positive reactions elsewhere and figuring I may as well ask here.

>budget
$20-50
>location
USA
>source
MP3 players
>type
over-ear
>open/closed
no preference
>comfort level
at least 5/10
>sound signature
neutral
>past headphones
Sennheiser HD 202, Sony MDR-XB950BT

Just wanted to ask if there are any headphones better than the Senny HD 202 around the same price. Didn't want to half-ass it and not fill in the whole form. Need a cheap but good pair for outdoor use. I said over-ear but maybe IEMs would be better? Also, no cord/short cord is preferable.

Thanks in advance.

Is it safe to leave the headphones plugged when you turn off the DAC/AMP, if you hear a "thump" noise?

Happy new year, /hpg/. What does your shopping list/wishlist look like for early 2017?

All I'm getting is a new smartphone, probably Galaxy S7, and I'll be directly using the 3.5mm jack without an amp or anything. As always I'll be happy to listen if you have any recommendations.

No. However, most amps from Schiit have relays installed to protect your cans during the on/off cycle.

DIY O2 and a Dragonfly Black in Line out mode.

The ADx series is stupidly light. They'd work pretty well for you it seems.

For a clip on mic, get the Sony ECM-CS3. $17 bucks and sounds breddy gud.

A zalman could work too.

What's it called when you amp the music up so the bass overlaps other frequencies?
Like when the kick drum silences all other sounds briefly?

>tfw fell for dt 770 meme

Need a cheap 3.5mm male to male cable around 9' off of Amazon. Don't need snakeoil, just something durable and not complete trash.

Need some help, got some Iems, looking for an extension cable and good tips.

The extension cable I have shorts the speaker and mic part of the wire so I had to mod the damn thing to constantly depress the mic switch to not have horribly fucked audio

And the rubber/silicone tips it came with, while really good for isolation, were uncomfortable as hell to use because no way I know to bleed the air pushed into my ear out. Little brother gave me some of his small foam tips, these are great but I'm looking for a good pack of tips to try out, possibly bigger ones, possibly ones made for comfort or isolation.

anyone have any experiance with either of these and can point me where I need to look?

for the tips, look into comply foam tips, they make different shapes/styles/sizes and make it simple to pick out the ones that fit your IEMs. These are really good tips, I love mine, but they will wear out over time.

for the extension cable, I'm not quite sure what you are looking for, but you'd probably just want a normal 3.5mm extension, should be pretty cheap on amazon...

Sony MDR-100AAP for 120e? I like the look, sound is supposedly pretty balanced, folds up a bit which is nice f or me. Will be using mostly on train/car and also at home, mostly for music. At home those will be plugged to some cheap amp, on the go to a phone. Closed because some isolation is nice, which these should have. Live in Finland. Y/N?

For the extension cable, I want one I know won't fuck with the mic and force it to be depressed all the time, these were cheap crappy iems just to see if I liked this style, so i'm not expecting miracles in terms of quality boosts, but I know if that mic isn't depressed the audio is 100% fucked, and just pressing it down cant possibly make it that much better.

thanks for the tips through, looking into them now.

also these dont look too autistic which is nice.

Which VE Monk+ color is the best Red, Blue, Grey?

you'd probably want an extension cable that has a pole for the mic too.

or buy a better IEM without the mic built in, that's probably the best idea.

Been warning everyone I can, bro. They're an early 70s design that even sounded bad then.

I'm getting a shure se215 from an EU reseller instead of some chinese fake.

Probably a 500 euro ips monitor too. All the rest are servers and routers and shit.

I read that this is not a problem if the "thump" sound is not too loud,

meme

Wanna hear what "thump" sounds like. Try plugging anything into these at your discretion.

Someone combine OP's pic and pic related

I bought these. The downside is the mics for the noise cancelling are positioned in such a way that if it's a windy day, you might have a rough time.

Otherwise, they sound great and last 20+ hours on Bluetooth, plus you don't look 12 yrs old when you wear them commuting.

I don't regret the purchase at all.

those are the wired version so no mics or bluetooth, but from what I gather for 120€ those are a bretty good buy. Thanks senpai, will prob order soon

whatever tingles ur aesthetic pringle

red: warm sound
blue: cool sound
grey: flat

Is this still an image board?

Please no bully because of:
>three Philips brand headphones.
They all were marked down really cheap when I bought them.

I take it back, ws99 are far more better sounding headphones than WS1100is. They have far more clarity and neutrality. WS1100is are still kinda trashy and ain't deserve a buy. Also ws99 can produce far greater bass when it's enabled.

I know it's a meme, but I was trying out Bose QC 25 and they were nice. I really like the noise cancellation they hav.

What are some good, very cheap (Sub-headphones I can get?
My PC headphones broke and I need something to replace them with.
Only preference I have is that they should be closed.

>black pota pros
mein neiger
fucking amazing looking headphones

Sub-$50 headphones, my bad
also, what a waste of a get

Fill out the form. There are a few that fit under 50. Form will get you more answers

Can you just post all of them? But alright, I'll fill out what I haven't answered so far.
>Location
United States of Americunts
>Type
Full
>Comfort Level
Not concerned, as long as it isn't painful
>Sound Signature
Doesn't matter

So yeah /hpg/, I am dissapointed as fuck with my purchase of Etymotic HF5. They literally sound worse than 5£ VE Monks. Need new IEMs with good isolation

>Budget
250£ max
>Location
UK
>Source
Nexus 5X
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Open or closed
ditto
>Comfort level
7/10
>Sound signature
bright
>Past headphones
Etymotic HF5, Koss Porta pro/KSC75 (ksc so far are the best pair I had), PX100, superlux hd601, sr75

Needs some ugly ass over-ear closed headphones for $200-400 that are at least somewhat unlikely to be snatched off my head by basketball americans in NYC, uglier the better. Not too picky on comfort but I'd rather they aren't agonizingly painful after a one hour commute.

No X2, why?

Richfag here. Where can I get a set of these for gaming?

Hello, I've been using headsets for a while now, and while the experience hasn't been wholly bad, there is a lot I'm missing in terms of audio quality, so therefore I've decided to get a proper set of headphones.

>Budget

200-250€-ish, preferrably below that, but I'm not short on money

>Location

Europe

>Source

Steinberg UR-12 that uses a USB connection to my computer

>Type of headphone

Over-ear

>Open or closed

Preferrably open since I get this weird pressure on my eardrums when I use closed back headphones, but either works I guess.

>Comfort level

I use these headphones practically every day at home while in front of my computer, so comfort is a must, although I can deal with a lot.

>Sound signature

I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not entirely sure how I should describe this, but a wide soundstage would be nice, so that I don't miss any instruments in a song, or any footsteps within a video game.
In terms of music I listen to a lot of "orchestral" music (read: movie and video game music), but also rock and neo 80s inspired stuff. So the headphones will have a lot of different music styles running through them.

>Past headphones

Koss Porta-Pros
Razer Tiamat (Forgive me, they had nice bass but they were pretty shit overall)
Sennheiser 363d (current headphones, needed a microphone at the time, so I compromised, which was not my best choice)
Sennheiser CX 3.00 (In-ears, current, use them for travel and commuting, I think they are pretty fantastic, especially when it comes to bass)

So yeah, I'm guessing a pair of Sennheisers would be a good choice, but I hear Audio-Technica is pretty good as well. I reckon my price range should fetch me a good pair of headphones, but that's a highly subjective thing anyway.

Thanks in advance

X2 sells for $250 which is what I paid for my entire collection.

>saleprice.jpg

Can anyone help me?

>budget
Around 50 €.
>location
Germany
>source
Iphone, sometimes my laptop.
>type
in ear
>open/closed
closed
>comfort level
About as important as the sound quality.

>m50
>grados
ew

Based on that guide, what exactly are the differences between the Beyerdynamic DT770s and the DT880s apart from the difference in closed and open-back style?

I got ATH-M30 and I can recommend them. Sound is good but I can't wear them for more than an hour at a time because they hurt. Really.

that guide is old and needs updating.

The sub $100 area should include SHP9500, the $100-$200 should include HD598s.

The $200-$500 should include K7XX's, HE-400i's, fidelio X2's.

Also the LCD-2's have plenty of bass impact assuming you have a good amp.

Holy fuck, how old is that image? It couldn't be more incomplete.

I remember seeing that when I first started browsing Sup Forums around 2010 or 2011. It's way outdated.

I've had the H6 since they first arrived on the scene. Thoroughly enjoy them, use them every single day. Fantastic build quality that has taken a beating. Very comfy - event for long long periods of time.

Sound quality is good and balanced but couldn't tell you more about that aspect as I'm not an audiophile.

Obviously you could go for H9 but they are quite a bit more expensive.

Yo guys, I made a group version of chatroulette. So if you want to talk about some subjects in a random group of people.

Technology and Anime are actually the first active subjects!

Go ahead! Go to groupchatroulette.com

This is one of the first promotions so be patient for messages. Say test or something else so people know you're in! Have fun.

I bought a really nice headphone setup largely as an experiment to see if I would be more interested in music and branch out my tastes

It failed and I am still listening to basically the same shit and I still don't like any of the new shit I try to listen to

Opinions on the Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7s?

Are they better than the ATH-M50? similar?

Should I not be looking at them at all?

also pls respond

Are you at least enjoying your same shit more?

What's wrong with your PortaPros? Your budget is pretty high... You do not have to spend very much much to get what you're looking for.

Old, uncomfortable and an ungodly amount of sound leakage. My current headphones are open-back and they haven't even got 10% of the sound leakage.

I doubt the porta pros can compare to more expensive headphones either way. They were fine when I was younger and using them for my mp3 player, but they aren't something I would want to use on my computer.

Is it worth getting an external DAC for Sennheiser 598s? If so, any recommendations? I'm currently using my motherboards onboard audio and it's pretty decent.

I tried on a pair of the Sennheiser 598s, open. I really like it, however I'm poor. I enjoyed how comfortable it was.

Will the Superlux 681 do well as a substitute?

you dont need one, unless you are hearing "hiss" when there should not be any sound, if so, look for the budget ones Fulla2, e10k or micca origen+

buy the HD558 or the SPH9500

they're so much better you're basically insulting them by comparing them to m50

if you like strong treble, K7XX
if you don't, HD650/6XX
they have a slight bass boost because I assume you want a bit of it, but it's not like they focus on bass
if you want something that focusses on bass, get the DT990 or X2
you know when you need a dac, so no you don't

No hiss, thanks.

see 558 is similar to 598 and the same if you do the foam mod (google)
shp is bright
681 is also bright

The mic is built into the cable, the cable is detachable, I am looking into a different cable without the mic, but honestly that's probably going to cost more then the iems themselves.

On a side note, are there extension cables with the mic pole? Not to make you do the leg work but a quick search only brings up 3.5mm mic extension cables (normal cables) or xlr mic cables.

If I like iems, I will be looking into better ones, I really only got theses because I want to lay down on a pillow on my side and watch videos on my computer, normally I either have full cans or only use one ear, my shitty one at that.

The AKG K7XX seems to be some kind of limited edition that briefly went for 200€ but is now closer to 400€? I'm not willing to go that high.

Regarding the HD650/6XX, again, a tad too expensive, but I'll take a look at them.

How do they compared against the Audio-Technicas? The MSR7s? I'm assuming that the Sennheisers are better, but are they worth a price hike of 100€?

Now I realize that the MSR7s are closed (I think? The design makes it seem like they are), but if the audio quality is good then I'll consider them.

Anyone use a receiver for headphones? I found it to be a better "dac" since my motherboard has optical audio out. It's a big ass thing, but it looks pretty cool.

yeah, for the K7XX/HD6XX you'd have to wait until they get a drop on massdrop again, you just missed the K7XX one
the 6XX is also 200 during the drop, same as k7xx, which is an absolute steal.
due to the nature of these drops being expensive headphones at an affordable pricepoint, it's really nice.

If you can't wait and find the 7xx appealing, have a look at K612, it's similar but has no detachable cable & is cheaper

It's hard to compare closed & open. MSR7 is rather balanced, a slight bass & treble boost, though the bass is more pronounced due to being closed.

>10% of the sound leakage
I'm not familiar with the gaming headset you have, but from what you describe, they don't sound much like an open back design. Open phones have almost zero sound isolation.

Thanks, I'll look into it. I'm leaning towards the shp9500s since the 558 is similarly priced to the 598, away from my budget range.

558 should be like 20 cheaper
guess you unlucky

>Budget: up to 120 dollars
>United States
>3.5mm jack
>Full sized
>Open
>Comfort Level: at least 7/10, maybe 6 if cheap or high quality
>Neutral Sound Signature
>Past Headphones: Logitech G930 Wireless (Yes, I am retarded)
thank you and have a good day!

I also would prefer if it had a microphone. If not then could you recommend a cheap one?

SHP9500 with Boompro.

shp9500 with a v-moda boom mic cable

Thank you!

what is the best sound signature for vocals?

bright, aka 7506

Yes.
>not using dolby headphone