New year netbook thread? New year netbook thread

Who /comfy/ netbook here?

pic related my inspiron mini 9, or one like it. Very comfy browsing machine

post netbooks, discuss netbooks, mininotebooks and other things similar to laptops welcome

Other urls found in this thread:

asus.com/ca-en/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-Transformer-Mini-T102HA/
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211984&cm_re=adata_ssd-_-20-211-984-_-Product
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211983&cm_re=adata_ssd-_-20-211-983-_-Product
amazon.com/Bplus-7260-HMWG-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-HMCPartner/dp/B00HJCBV64
amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E6430-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01LX4N9C3/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483265956&sr=1-1&keywords=dell e6430 screen 1600x900
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

At what point does a small notebook become a netbook?

under 11 inches is the general scale from what ive seen

But what size is needed for one with a fullsize keyboard meant for normal sized hands?

I don't know friend the point is protability which will obviously end up cutting down the keyboard. there are decent dell latitude 2100s with nice keyboards but full size wont work.

I just got a memepad x220, does that count?
>so much lighter than my old one that my bag felt empty

Yes friend all qt sized computers are welcome. You're a big boy here!

c720 running loonix. feelsgoodman.png

>tfw you will never EVER be this comfy

you mean those net books that were a fire hazard.

they were toasty!

Those Vaio P machines are pretty cool looking.

My friend and I just went halfers on a huge web package. So we decided we should get some lightweight, versatile long battery life systems.

Unless you wanna' go for a 1000-2000+ dollar surface.. Which I don't because fuck worrying about that in the crazy life I live! This is your fucking option right here. Last year or not. It's unique and there will be nothing like it in it's price-point, somehow.. Sadly for some time.

Peace!

LOL, I'm really stoned.
asus.com/ca-en/2-in-1-PCs/ASUS-Transformer-Mini-T102HA/

neat how chroembooks have kind of replaced netbooks

Kill yourself, you worthless piece of shit.

what's a good ssd to put in this

adata is a decent brand that comes pretty cheap

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211984&cm_re=adata_ssd-_-20-211-984-_-Product

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211983&cm_re=adata_ssd-_-20-211-983-_-Product

If you do linux, you could put a qt nano usb stick in there and have space for other stuff, like internet sticks or air, which makes it also slightly lighter.

You fucker up. I bought a refurbished surface pro 3 with an i5 processor, 8 gigs RAM, and 256 storage for around $460.

You can buy a 4gb i5 128gb model refurbished for $379.99 on newegg.

Mine is a SNES mini with 2 iBuffalo pads. Trying to install RetroPie but the sound is not working, it's fine with SNES.

It has VGA out to hook a CRT monitor

>tfw I am this comfy

>pic related my inspiron mini 9, or one like it. Very comfy browsing machine
i have the same one, thinking about putting lubuntu on it. wich browser do you use for comfy browsing? firefox is slow as fuck, chromium is not really better.

>windows
you have been disqualified from comfy club
pls take your battlestation and go
the cat can stay

i use midori

ubuntu runs like shit on these things though

And to be fair, I installed windows 7 after the pic because windows 10 ran like shit too.

tried that one a few weeks ago, couldn't post on 4chink with it.

of course ubuntu runs like shit its an atom processor and probably 2gb of ram.

Try a lightweight distribution like xubuntu or lubuntu

how much ram does your have, one or two gigabytes?

two.

I did try xubuntu. I just figured I didn't need to specify.

Try QupZilla or Ubuntu web browser

Try lubntu then

Mine has one

The 9 model can be upgraded

Ok. I'll consider it in the future. Windows 7 runs great as long as aero is off.

I have two of them so I can just reformat the other one.

lubuntu or lxle (lubuntu-fork) are great distros for netbooks.

I found that xubuntu pegged the processor at 100% until it started thermal throttling constantly. It was unusable. Is lubuntu going to be any different? This is a passively cooled (as in thermal pad to the magnesium frame) Z520.

lubuntu is a lot lighter, and if not try lxle as said

lubuntu/lxle supports pentium 4 and a minimum of 512mb ram for basic tasks and the window manager needs way less ressources than xfce. it runs just fine on 2008/9-era netbooks.

Is it worth? 1 GB ram 8 GB SSD, lubuntu 3.04 LTS is fine for emulation and light travel PC (it has Ethernet and VGA out without adapters)

Ehh I just figured it was something with ubuntu in general since xubuntu ran fine on two UMPCs in my picture (ux180p, Q1U) and my vaio p should blow them both away spec wise.

see if puppy linux runs just for the hell of it.

I use an inspiron 11z for coffee shop mitm attacks or on the fly snooping or cracking,only ram updated everything else is stock..cant fault it.

I wanted one of these to see how they run.. Any good?

Interestingly, that's what's on the SD card in the image. It runs great on the Q1U. I don't really like it though, I'd prefer to stick with a mainstream distro.

Hot and slow. Shit battery life. They're not bad for what they are but you have to remember that they were slow back in 2009 too.

Great screen and nice keyboard though.

When you tried xubuntu were you running it off the sd card?

Two different machines. No. I installed it to the internal SSD (mSATA SSD on ZIF PATA adapter)

I have a netbook coming in the mail, I've been looking at what distro to install its a toss up between bunsenlabs and xubuntu-core^

I have a Dell Latitude E6430 that I've been very happy with, excluding the battery; I've been through two of them and they died after a few months each. The keyboard, especially, really stands out.

Anyways, I am looking to upgrade and care for it a bit. I'm currently considering buying a Wireless AC card:
amazon.com/Bplus-7260-HMWG-Wireless-AC-Bluetooth-HMCPartner/dp/B00HJCBV64
I'm also considering replacing the HDD with an SSD, but this isn't necessary.
Is there anyone I can take the laptop to to clean it? The screen is messy, and I think (somehow) some stuff has ended up behind the screen and it is really annoying.
If I could get a backlit keyboard and a replace part for the bottom (since the little rubber stops have fallen off), that'd be nice, but I don't think they sell those.

Finally, does anyone else here run kind of hot with Linux? It really wastes no time heating up if it's on the bed or any soft surface. Are there any ways to cool it down a bit?

Oh and I just came across this:
amazon.com/Dell-Latitude-E6430-Professional-Refurbished/dp/B01LX4N9C3/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483265956&sr=1-1&keywords=dell e6430 screen 1600x900
If you have a bit of extra money to spend, I highly recommend you anons try out this laptop!

>14.1 inches

HERESY

If you've gone through two batteries in only a few months, you need to stop buying used or offbrand batteries. If you're buying OEM, then you need to replace your power supply.

AC card is useless without an AC router. 7260 is a pretty standard AC card.

SSD is literally the biggest upgrade you can get on a relatively modern laptop. The fact that you don't already have one and consider it unnecessary is just foreign to me.

Clean it yourself. It should be super easy to take apart and I guarantee that the documentation is out there both on youtube and dell.com.

If your model came with a backlight option then a swap should be pretty easy.

It's a latitude, all parts are sold.

And finally, of course it's going to run hot on a bed. A bed is going to insulate your PC.

I have an AC router - I only discovered it a few months ago. Turns out my ISP was giving me 300KB/s on the 2.4GHz network and >5MB/s on the 5GHZ one.
For the SSD, I saw that Adata was recommended ITT, so I'll be looking into that.
Thanks for the help!

Tfw no modern netbook with the customizability of a late 2000s computer

Given it's bezel less nature, would the Xaiomi 12.5 Mi Air count?

It's actually smaller, in almost every dimension than many of the 11.6" notebooks you cite.

Acer ES1-111 /netbooker/ here

I upgraded the HDD to a 128 GB SSD, upgraded the 2 GiB RAM to 4 GiB. It's pretty great. I use it as my only portable machine, with my workhorse being my desktop. Despite its clear performance limitations, I always seem to do everything I need to just fine. If it doesn't work well on my netbook I usually just work around it. Except gaming of course. I only play nethack, stardew valley, some other steam games, and some old Nintendo games using retroarch.

I took it apart as much as I could, but the Koreans sure have the LCD screen shut up tight along with "DO NOT TOUCH!" in several languages. I guess I won't be able to clean that area between the screen and the screen cover, where the pixels are and what not.

wtf is wrong with your lcd?

>tfw 2GB max RAM on my netbook.

sometimes dirt gets on your screen and you wipe it off
other times, a bug or hair gets behind that area between the screen and the surface of pixels - i wanted to try to get to that but i couldn't

Running Ubuntu MATE on one of these and it runs fine.

>Aspire one d250
>Cant get it to write any flavor of Linux, debian, windows 7, etc even when imaged on another machine then booted
>give up and throw w10 on it and am happy to see the 10.1 book running
Its nice to have something that is literally book size. All I'm doing is chopping up some code on a couch and browsing, but FK phones for either of those.

iktf ;-; i had the original netbook asus eee pc 701b and it was limited to 1 GiB iirc.

I used to have an eeepc but the fucker kept breaking after the guarantee was over.

I kept buying spare parts on ebay and wasting hours fixing it (the worse was when the power input broke in on the mother board)

After a while, I had a connection problem between the motherboard and the monitor.

I then felt for the Sup Forums meme and bough a second hand thinkpad.

>I miss the "I don't give a fuck about this computer" : I wouldnt have been mad for too long someone stole it. It was nice not to feel bad when I was abusing it.

>The thinkpad is nice but I grown much more attached to it.

It was nice to live the steampunk wet dream having everything encrypted and backed up on a device I was prepared to lose at every moment.

> tfw when I was assuming it would be the CIA building a case on me that would steal my hardware.

maybe I'll buy one more soon. But the netbook have been replaced by tablets except for chromebooks if I get my consumer electronic uptdated.