2017: year of the linux desktop

2017: year of the linux desktop

Dream on

Linux will never be king because there are way too many options for the mainstream market.

When you mention to someone the massive list of linux distros and the different DE, their eyes glaze over, and rightfully so.

Now that Windows has Linux, yes.

That's good

Why is he using windows 10 then in that picture? I can tell from the pixels

>rightfully so
what is this arbitrary number? where after say "7 options, i'm interested. 8 or more, i'm not interested" ?

Get more Muh Gayms and the people will come

I hate naggers

Digital Linear Tape why you are a cunt?

Soon.

>12/31/2017
>fag/g/ots here will be making threads about how 2018 will be the YOTLD after making no or negative progress towards that goal in 2017

I'm going to assume you're a masochist and enjoy crushing disappointment and repeated kicks to your balls.

more than two choices of anything makes it less likely people will buy something.

what gayme

MY MANJARO IS READY

Most games run on Linux these days thanks to the Unity engine being cross-platform

Only the biggest budget AAA games are still windows-only because microsoft is in bed with the publishers. Virtually all indie games run on linux

With ubuntu, you have LTS and testing.
You have LTS which means new install every 2 years and testing which means every 6 months.
If you don't like that, you can use something that is rolling, where you deal with small issues more often, rarely everything at once.

Nobody knows what pic related does.

the filename and the URL in the picture could give it away, but it is called 0ad.
apt install 0ad

Bout 46% of mine run natively on Linux

>I RATE ALL SOURCE GAMES 10/10

Don't pretty much all Source games run on Linux?

0AD is based.

Are you saying that this windows can run on a computer without linux underneath it, at all ? As in, without a boot disk, without any drivers, and without any services ?

That sounds preposterous to me.

If it were true (and I doubt it), then companies would be selling computers without a linux. This clearly is not happening, so there must be some error in your calculations. I hope you realise that computers are more than just windows ? Its a whole system that runs the computer from start to finish, and that is a very difficult thing to acheive. A lot of people dont realise this.

Linus Torvals just spent many years of his life to create Linux, so it does not sound reasonable that some new alternative could just snap into existence overnight like that. It would take billions of dollars and a massive effort to achieve. IBM tried, and spent a huge amount of money developing OS/2 but could never keep up with Linux. Apple tried to create their own system for years, but finally gave up recently and moved to Intel and RedHat.

Its just not possible that a paid OS like the windows could be extended to the point where it runs the entire computer fron start to finish, without using some of the more critical parts of linux. Not possible.

I think you need to re-examine your assumptions.

when i compare, all the hussles & tweaking in the 90-ties, needed to get some kernel 1.3 / 2.o.35 GNU/Linux up & running, on some Pentium1/24 MB ram or on classicAmiga_12oo 68o40/PowerPC_G2 hybridSymetricMultiprocessing; nowDays allmost every localised desktop distros (Mint, simplyMepis, AntiX, ubuntu,...) which i put in multiBoot, during gnuFeministic & cyberFeministic advocacy & activism, to new folk, who look for help inSide & outSide of a hackLab, i can say: -GNU/Linux is easier & less time consuming to install (halfAnHour per distro, compared to a day to patch, protect (fireWall), driverSolve & userLand (apps) equip any winblou$) -GNU/Linux is easier to use -- all the techical details are hidden from common desktop user, & left to root/admin realm...to the point that some desktop distros have their terminal/shell dissabled.. :) (control panels & centers reigns... :) ) -GNU/Linux saves time in general -- my estimate is 80 % after full switch (support) -you are on the legal side -- no cracking -one can recycle way old hw -- Pent2 / 64-256 MB ram with AntiX (exception to above is maybe hw egsotics like Debian GNU/Linux on new dual or Quad c0re Power6 AmigaOne x1ooo or x5ooo/4o 2.4 GHz :) & other non x86 hw like ARM/rasperyPi or the like. ) ...recently, we had an interesting phenomenon with g33ks in hackLab: experienced Slackware, Debian, Gentoo, arch,... powerUsers figured that, staying on a bleedeng rollingRelease tweakingTheLast edge "as-per-se" has no point any more, & that leaving developers, betaTesters, maintainers & packagers job is better to outSource to the people that do that things the best, so they switching to versionin "newbie" distros... :) ...actualy now than ever, it is more a question of psichologycal, sociologycal...maybe culture acceptance; than technical excelence.