Why the fuck is 16:9 the standard aspect ratio for laptops...

Why the fuck is 16:9 the standard aspect ratio for laptops? 16:9 is only good for movies and watching movies is shit on a small-ass 13/15/17 inch screen. If you want to watch movies then buy a goddamn TV, you know, that thing that's actually made for watching movies on, and Chromecast. 16:10, 4:3 and 3:2 should be the standard for laptops, not some meme aspect ratio for movies and gaymen kiddies.

>16:10

triggered, should be 8:5

Movies are 21:9 you autist

>not 1:1

what a faggot

>not 4:3

kys

>16:10

triggered, should be 32:20

>not 12.8:8

>not 5.2:3.25

It makes of a better aspect ratio for the lower half of the laptop, old 4:3 laptops were cramped on the width of the keyboard and swamped with grey plastic above and below. They were also usless for side by side document editing.

>not 1.6:1

Jesus fucking christ how many times do people have to ask the same shit over and over and over and over again?

Keyboard width. It's why the 701c had the butterfly keyboard in the first place.

Cheaper.

>gaymen kiddies

16:10 is clearly superior for gaymen.

4:3 Master Race

>not 1600:1000

lmao this retard actually thinks movies are 16:9

Movies are 21:9, Wich is the best aspect ratio, also for gaming and productivity. 16:9 is for TV shows. Laptops should be either 16:9 or 16:10 because 21:9 is to big for them.

It's the standard because non-autists don't care that it's the standard.

>because 21:9 is to big for them.
are you dumb?

Aspect ratios have nothing to do with size. You can have a 21:9 screen that is smaller than a finger nail.

>21:9, Wich is the best aspect ratio

Get ass cancer.

16:9 is a shitty compromise resolution (geometric mean between 4:3 and 2.35:1, although the retard that chose it didn't know it was called geometric mean at the time).

It was not chosen because it was deemed "best" or most pleasing for anything. It's literally a "I can't decide, let's take the middle point". It's bad for every purpose, truly the plebbest of all the aspect ratios.

16:10 is closer to the golden ratio and more pleasant. And with 2.35:1 you can pretend you have 2 screens side by side. But 16:9 is worthless.

>not pi:3

Enjoy no vertical space and having to scroll down after each 3 lines when reading something

Actually it was a compromise between 1.85:1 and 1.66:1.

They can't take a TV around with them, dumbfuck.

>16:9 is only good for movies
opinion
>watching movies is shit on a small-ass 13/15/17 inch screen.
opinion
>16:10, 4:3 and 3:2 should be the standard for laptops
opinion
>meme aspect ratio for movies and gaymen kiddies.
opinion

>closer to the golden ratio
kill yourself

32:18 is the only true patrician aspect ratio. I had to stand outside a university a/v department for hours after I got a tip that they were throwing away an old (but working) 32:18 CRT flat screen display. It offers the perfect balance between productivity design space and film watching kinographic area.

16:9 drives me crazy on displays lower than 2560x1440 @ 27". Especially on your average 1366x768 shitbox laptops, by the time you factor in all the titlebars and toolbars and menubars and taskbars and navbars you've got like 3px worth of actual content. It's bullshit.

16:10 also gives ample width for the keyboard without going full dachshund on the screen.

It also for the same width makes the chassis deeper with no real tangable benifits.

You're right, 683:384 should be the standard.
>glorious 1366x768 resolution

Using 21:9

Pros:
>Gaming
>Movies
>work

Cons
>web surfing
>gaming

Gaming is a blast if 21:9 is supported, older games suck in this matter.
When I surf the web I find 21:9 anyoing, so I just create a 16:10 single window and do my webshit there

Movies can be any aspect ratio you dingus.

>Not √2:1

Wut?

>√2:1
Best aspect ratio is best. Hence paper.

I used to think 16:10 was god tier, but then I got a 16:10 30" monitor and I kinda wish it was 16:9 or even 21:9. You reach a point where it's too tall

For smaller displays though, especially laptops, 16:10 is the best.

2:1 is better

>21:9
Not 7:3

Nigr seriously why

No one cares about your meme aspects ratios. 16:9 is literally perfect