codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

elephpant.com/
youtube.com/watch?v=9hDKfBKuXjI
getcomposer.org/
web.archive.org/web/20160413155446/https://getcomposer.org/
computerhope.com/unix/udiff.htm
quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2010/04/a_pixel_is_not.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Is QA a web development?

what is an easy way to learn how to design a postgresql database? I don't care about the sql, I can always find that out, but what should be included?

>tfw somehow don't have a hangover.

It's a christmas miracle or whatever.

How the fuck do I freelance?

No one wants to hire me because no BS so I'll freelance.

Just make a website for yourself. And then start your marketing campaign, both offline and online. That's how any entrepreneur starts.

Simplest and most lightweight way to create online ordering for restaurants? I have no experience in webdev but strong academic background

Reply to the guy from the last thread saying there is not point using WP if you don't want to use shitty plugins:

How so? It's a whole CMS. I'm using it because I don't want to go through a whole process of setting up a blog/news site/whatever. I just add some custom functions to it, but it still saves me tons of work.

Looking back at how much time it took me just to get a frontend going and coding a few hundred lines of custom functionalities, I can't imagine how long it would take me to build all the backend by myself, at least not on that level, both in terms of security and functionalites.

Of course, without it all would fall to pieces, or worse continue into corruption until nothing can be made to salvage the wreck that is no supervision of code.

I'm bundling code with webpack. For various reasons I can't load my images in my Sass files, so I have to require them into a .js file. Right now, I've required the images within a file that holds a function does work based around these images.

Is there a better or more logical place to write these image require statements than the function file I've placed them in currently? Is it convention to place them in say, index/app.js instead?

Now that angular is kill should I use react or vue.js in my app?

Is Angular 2 dead? Please tell me it is.

Are Composer packages a substitute for an entire framework?

Google adsense doesn't pay out until you make $100. Are there any other good advertising platforms?

That should motivate you to get 100 dollars.

Adsense denied me because my site doesn't have enough text. It's a webapp so it doesn't need much text, so I'm looking at other advertisers now

media.net is the Microsoft / Yahoo alternative.

Then you get unicef ads of crying Africans.

Do they pay per click or what? I tried Amazon but they only pay out if people actually buy the products using your affiliate code. Maybe I'll just charge a one time signup fee

Is PHP 7 good?

It's pretty much the same as adsense, so yeah, pay per click.

It gives a great speed boost. So yes.

>mfw i realised typescript only check types at compile time
i thought i hit some sort of JS secret knowledge, now it justs seem cumbersome

Is it a good entry point for a job in this career field?

Separate question:

Should I go php/MySQL or node.js/Mongo?? I know that the meme goes that php is garbage but the fact that WordPress is all php makes it a pretty useful skill when starting off right?

So what's up with that useless fucking link in the sticky under >how to get started

?

So what's after web dev?

I've maxed out salary and responsibility over the last 2 years, what comes next? im fuckin bored

I can do back end, front end, devops, sys admin, management, etc. guess ill just find me a higher paying job every couple of years for the rest of my life

life is underwhelming

what's the problem with this? It's exactly at compile types that you need to check your types. Are you specifically looking for reflection or something?

Keep in mind that compile time type checking does not exclude the presence of generics and inheritance and stuff (although not sure if typescript has this)

>I've maxed out salary and responsibility over the last 2 years, what comes next? im fuckin bored

>I can do back end, front end, devops, sys admin, management, etc. guess ill just find me a higher paying job every couple of years for the rest of my life

>life is underwhelming

same here senpai. what comes next? Maybe time to go to management?

> ill just find me a higher paying job

some good advice I've heard is that now is the time to stop worrying about a higher paying job. take a pay cut to go and work on an insanely interesting / important but insanely hard problem.

what do you consider maxed out salary wise?

In today's world you can't go wrong doing javascript, seriously. There is so much shitty software that's being written in javascript that you can do some serious impact building automated QA systems around this.

Both server side and client side.

Databases are generally easy, if you have time I'd say learn mongo and mysql. mongo is just easier to get into considering that the hard part to learn is actually the programming language and not the database really

But also "php is garbage" meme is floated around only by people who don't have much experience writing software in general (or by people who have way too much experience in PHP).

PHP is still quite popular, if you've already chosen that don't doubt yourself.

PHP or node.js... pick one. PHP is more sought after in Europe, though.

MySQL or Mongo? GTFO. ACID databases, of course. NOSQL is a meme, and it's dead. Use MariaDB, though, or Postgres.

115k a year plus 5% to 401k plus 20% total annual bonus in a flyover state where homes cost 120k

Stop doing programming and start doing extreme sports.

Make a side job. Run a website. Start a service.

Postgres is the way to go. MariaDB hasn't figured out JSON column types yet which is upsetting because JSON is a gift from the gods. Also IP column types are pretty neat since I barely understand ipv4 and don't forsee myself wrapping my head around ipv6 well enough to check if an address is within a range or not. Postgres will do it all for me

Is web development well paid? Seems like the less stressful/autistic job a computer science (or the like) graduate could have. What's the catch?

Make your own company.

this is likely out of scope for the thread but i'm going to ask anyway.

Anyone here moving into a more senior role at a more enterprise-like job?

I'm looking for more resources for this transition (promotion coming next month).

Some of the problems i'm facing/going to be facing:

* Being in a position of authority, including dictating work and having interns
* Less coding, more managing
* Maintaining and moving away from old code and stack (total rewrite would be best case scenario but not holding my breath)
* Dealing with other seniors
* OFFICE POLITICS

Current stack is a totally fucked up ASP.NET + JQUERY + shoe horned Angular 1 originally made by C++ devs in '09/10. I can't overstate how fucked it is.

where2cop that elephant? its cute

>ASP.NET + JQUERY + shoe horned Angular 1 originally made by C++ devs in '09/1
My sympathies, but you're on your own. Fuck that shit.

elephpant.com/

The NG1 was shoved in there by a junior dev who was forced to take it over. The digest cycle doesnt even run, so you have to wrap anything changing in timeout. It is absolutely bizarre.

Also all HTML is constructed by manipulating the DOM within JQuery + html in strings.

I can't make this up.

>The digest cycle doesnt even run, so you have to wrap anything changing in timeout

thats incredibly fucked

>Also all HTML is constructed by manipulating the DOM within JQuery + html in strings

Oh there is more - there is a js/jquery "framework" that was made internally years ago to make things "easier" so in order for me to make a button that even looks like it belongs on the page i have to make everything a with an id, then i call it in the javascript and "convert" it to a button, the "framework" does all the heavy lifting.

Everyone that wrote that framework was fired years ago, no one maintains it, there isn't even anyone to report bugs to.

If you don't use the framework, nothing works right. I'm vendor locked into an internal framework - its so fucked up.

I don't want to use Angular I don't want to use Angular I don't want to use Angular REEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Seriously any thoughts on it?

NG1 or NG2? Any particular reason why you don't want to use it?

I've used NG1 with success, it does quite a bit of work for you.

I'm trying to iframe another document in my page (it's in the same domain) but for some reason instead of going to README/index.html it goes to README.html. It's in github pages, if that helps.
>inb4 iframes are bad
HTML Imports don't work on firefox and I'm not about to use JQuery.

How do I into web development ?

that sounds horrible. i hope the compensation is good. whats stopping yall from beginning to rewrite?

I'm creating a relational model in Django, and how would I go about allowing users who's user IDs match the field for entries edit those entries, with varying permission levels?

from django.db import models
from django.contrib.auth.models import User

class Groups(models.Model):
id = models.IntegerField(primary_key=True, unique=True)
name = models.CharField(max_length=64)
website = models.CharField(max_length=256)

# officers that can manage the group
president = models.ForeignKey(User)
treasurer = models.ForeignKey(User)
icc_rep = models.ForeignKey(User)

best CMS?

op here, 4chanx replaces youtube links with their titles so while copy pasting it didn't copy the link to the >2017 section. it should be this link
youtube.com/watch?v=9hDKfBKuXjI

dream situation right there

Does anyone know a good guide for making a simple browser based javascript app. Its partly for me to learn and to make something to put on a portfolio.

what do you mean by guide
just find something to make and whatever question may arise you can just google it

Sure, thats how I normally do shit, but I am looking at a blank page and not even sure where to start other than creating the interface.

If you look at pic related, what I want is for there to be 6 dots, and when you slide across using the arrows, the active dot (red) changes, is there a better way to do this other than have a new image each time (i.e somehow align 6 dot glyph icons like that).

you can do that easily with css.

Thats what I thought, but I am struggling, is it just having 6 icons in a span and using absolute positioning?

Got it, nevermind, cheers.

Well paid is relative. The cap theorem of web development is basically

> great salary
> good worklife balance
> interesting problem

pick two (at most)

>tfw 60 hour / week and occasionally weekends, CRUD all day long and boring shit but 110k / year

It's "pick one", my friend

What's the best way of keeping track of changes to a wiki entry?

Currently I'm storing every version of the page in the database and then I work out the diff whenever somebody requests it, but it feels a bit clunky, especially for minor edits.

what wiki? does it have a "last edited at" somewhere?

I'm writing one with Java and Spring MVC.

Web development in 2017?
ASP.Net Core! What else seriously?

getcomposer.org/

has he always been a nigger?

no he wasn't. Fucking PHP cucks
web.archive.org/web/20160413155446/https://getcomposer.org/

F5 dude

Use diffs, then just render them upon requests.
computerhope.com/unix/udiff.htm

You're doing this all wrong, (can you even set the foreign key as the user import?).

Heres some ideas.
A)
1)
Set the different officers to standard django groups
Set the different officers to the user ID
2)
Set groups as a foreign key on your other tables and then just join all relevant groups. Then you can loops through the groups to see if user X is in one of the positions.
B) Use raw SQL:

SELECT * from groups
WHERE website = "niggers_r.us"
AND (president = [userID]
OR treasurer = [userID]
OR ICC_rep = [userID])
LIMIT 1;

He didn't change each time you refresh before. He was white with brown hair.
Fucking cucks, pushing their "diversity" bullshit.

Start a family

Store a diff like git or svn does

But you should be using a MediaWiki install, not rolling your own ststem.

Work to live. Don't live to work. Start cutting work hours and gaining hobbies, friends, wife, kids, etc.

I didn't even understand the question.

how do I make it so when I type something and hit enter it opens in a new tab?

target="_blank" on your form.

now I feel fucking dumb because I've used that for a href before and thought about trying to put it in the form but then figured it wouldn't work, thanks mate

@media screen and (max-width: 780px) {
.flexbox {
display: inline;
}

.logo {
display: none;
}
}

This works when I resize the web browser or use the mobile viewport emulator in Firefox and Chrome, but on real mobile devices, it does absolutely shit nothing (those styles are not applied).

I also have this meta tag:

What am I doing wrong?

what's your devices resolution?

Ask a JavaScript/HTML/CSS hacker anything.

1080x1920 (Nexus 5)

I know it is above the threshold, and this is what I do not understand. Many mobile devices have high resolutions, but I see websites using 480px, etc. as their breakpoints.

so your style says only apply for devices under 780pixels, your device exceeds this.
That's why it doesn't apply it.

Generally you want to turn it around though.
You style something for mobile and then apply your desktop style using min-width.

>Nvm found it :)

how'd you do it? just curious.

>Generally you want to turn it around though.
You style something for mobile and then apply your desktop style using min-width.

Yes, thank you for the suggestion. This is my first responsive site, so I am just throwing things together as I learn.

I actually got it to work by removing screen and so that it just reads

@media (max-width: 780px) {
}

Now the styles are applied to my real mobile device and in mobile emulators on the desktop.

It turns out that CSS "pixels" do not necessarily translate to screen pixels.

>These pixels have nothing to do with the actual pixel density of the device, or even with the rumoured upcoming intermediate layer. They’re essentially an abstract construct created specifically for us web developers.

quirksmode.org/blog/archives/2010/04/a_pixel_is_not.html

I...just landed my first interview after half a year of trying

Web Development is not a real job.

More real than my current.

I just want it to overpay the bills while I launch my own projects.

If like to learn how to create a website, only the front end, so which programming language should I learn, and in what order (html>css>javascript>...?) ?

Also what are the best websites to learn them?
Thanks

damn, if there was just a general thread with helpful links in its OP to answer all your questions.
Shame.

I'd like to learn how to create a website, only the front end, so which programming language should I learn, and in what order (html>css>javascript>...?) ?
Also what are the best websites to learn them?
Thanks

Yeah I saw the links and I'd like to know which of all the websites is the easiest/best to use.
But maybe that's too much to ask to someone so important as yourself.

Just pick one and learn. They wouldnt be in business if they were bad.

r e w r i t e i t a l r e a d y

use react while you're at it too lol

Well, there's another project that I'll never touch again.

k guys, i am trying to make a web extension that replaces baka desu senpai with the original words. Here is what I have in the content script so far, and it doesn't work:
document.body.innerHTML = document.body.innerHTML.replace(/baka/g, 'baka');
document.body.innerHTML = document.body.innerHTML.replace(/desu/g, 'desu');
document.body.innerHTML = document.body.innerHTML.replace(/senpai/g, 'senpai');

I was wondering if I could get some help. Sorry, I forgot to ask for help in my original post. Also, the code has the original words in it, this website just replaces them.

when are you running this?

In manifest.json at "content_scripts"