/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Remember: Try not to be rude to people who just want some assistance, but don't tolerate people who won't accept any help.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/841a4d221b9ad1b0e7ac7483ae3e155e488ca5504afba70cdaf
pcpartpicker.com/list/N63CCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/jQKQwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/p73nXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/sGCVf8
phanteks.com/PH-TC12DX.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/Q9rBFd
m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/9b2122221a5c9895ea807a80eda148545f0dfb1665525a8d939
pcpartpicker.com/list/2pQ2jc
pcpartpicker.com/list/wCDdM
pcpartpicker.com/list/HT9ZWX
pcpartpicker.com/list/khrBFd
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

nice video game consoles

Im about to build my first ever gaming pc for the price of 600$ in about a month. Because this is going to my first built I would like someone to rate my pc parts. Do I need anything more except Windows? Is there any better new parts for that price that I should use? Going to play Csgo and a few other single games like Dark Souls on it. (from germany/german website)
m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/841a4d221b9ad1b0e7ac7483ae3e155e488ca5504afba70cdaf

I recently threw out my pc because I wanted to quit games

Right now I am craving games and considering building a whole new one.

I wish I'd never played video games growing up

what is the best brand for a 480 8gb version

Sapphire or MSI.

pcpartpicker.com/list/N63CCy
I'm pretty poor, and I'd like to see if you guys could recommend a better CPU, for roughly the same price

Don't worry boys I whipped up a little script in visual basic and decoded my product key from the registry.

Get a SSD, different RX480 preferred Asus, Sapphire or XFX and either i3-6100 or i5-6500, the 6400 is a bad CPU.
Your case doesn't have any case fans, so add 2x120mm for about 15 bucks to it.

Best PCB: Asus
Best cooling: MSI
Best price/performance: Sapphire and XFX
To avoid: Gigabyte and PowerColor

If this is meant as a gaymen build, the i3-6100 is the way to go.
Also, get a SSD Windows 7 or 10, 8/8.1 is pure cancer.

Is it worth upgrading the motherboard and CPU if I'm running an i5-4670K? The only complaint I really have right now is the heat and subsequent noise it puts out (even with aftermarket big air cooler), but I've been out of the game for nearly two years.

Best PCB is without a doubt evga classified

>EVGA
>RX480

I was going to upgrade to win 10, since it's free.

Looking to build a 1080p gaming pc for ~1000€. This is what I got so far, but I feel like I can get cheaper options. Any recs?

I dont live in the US so some parts might be hard to get/find.

This is will be my first build ever. I just want to be able to run Overwatch at decent settings with constant 60fps

pcpartpicker.com/list/jQKQwV

>The only complaint I really have right now is the heat and subsequent noise it puts out
Nah. Don't upgrade, wait for Zen, if it's shit, wait for Intel Coffee Lake in 2018 or whenever they release it, CPU market is stagnant.
If heat/noise is an issue then get better HSF and case fans. What's your current setup?

Just restrict yourself to Linux games.
I'm tired of Civilization 5 after 1000 hours or so, and there's nothing left that I enjoy and works on Linux

>I wish I'd never played video games growing up

Could have been drugs. It's not like you'd automatically gravitate towards nuclear physics because you never got into games.

What's your monitor? The 1060 is a very powerful card and it's almost wasted on 1080p.

Disgusting setup, research more, see logicalincrements and then come back with something that isn't as retarded.

Not going to happen m8, that build won't run shit at 60fps, well.. maybe Minesweeper.
See logicalincrements for minimum builds.

>Replace i5 6600K with i5 6500
>Use stock cooler
>Remove the rotating HDD
>Get a smaller size PSU

Can i use a cheap sound card to add a SPDIF output port into my pc? My old man handed me down some pretty neat speakers along with an digital audio processor to make them work properly, but this thing can pretty much only get the audio signal via optical (SPDIF) only. Also suggestion for said cheap sound card are appreciated.

Do you guys build computers for anything other than gaming?

Running poorly coded scripts.

No

Don't bother.
Using win 7 here, 10 is cancer IMO.

and i f you have 736 bucks to spare, that's not poor.

Poor is 500 and under.

This is how you do it.
pcpartpicker.com/list/p73nXH
NOTE-This is meant to be an upgradeable build.

The cooler master 212 in it is IF you want to overclock later, you can take it out.

Damn. I was looking for advice on a machine for farming crypto currencies.

Asus VS248H-P

Yes. I've built many kinds for many purposes.
I made one just to browse a few websites for a guy

>pcpartpicker.com/list/p73nXH
That build just hurts my eyes....

which aftermarket 480 should i get

I thought I was restricting myself to Linux games

Why AMD?

See >Best PCB: Asus
>Best cooling: MSI
>Best price/performance: Sapphire and XFX
>To avoid: Gigabyte and PowerColor

I run a minecraft server and it's getting pretty serious. Do you think I could run a RAID config with a bunch of usb storage devices?

Waiting to build a HTPC and light gaming minirig for living room, basically a console but with far more options.

I want:
mITX mobo with USB-C
Some APU, I think I'll stick to 65W or less
m.2 SSD for software other content already on NAS

No cables apart from PSU, probably only 1 fan depending on case, hook up some gamepads and chill on couch.

Will have to wait for new APUs though, current ones have shitty TDPs so I guess 2H 2017 is possible.

R8, don't h8

pcpartpicker.com/list/sGCVf8

will two rx460's be able to run 4k graphics?

Thanks, I figured I didn't need to. The issue is I have an aftermarket r9 290, which also runs disgustingly hot, so I don't know that swapping out more fans will make the difference, though I'd be up to try.

I'm currently using this HSF - phanteks.com/PH-TC12DX.html

I'd considered upgrading the 290 to a 1080/1070, though I have yet to look into much into it/which version is best/if I even need it.

>having a cd/dvd writer in 2016
kek

Man, it's twenty bucks. On the off-chance that I need to do something with a physical disc, why not?

Hey guys I need advice on a case.

Looking to do full customer water loop with 2 graphics cards.
Preferably a small case.
High-end prices is fine.

A Fractal R5...
>small case
Fuck.

At that point, if it ever arises, you could walk on down to Walmart and get an external USB one

>not using the cheapest backup solution there is

I have a z170 board on the way, besides the GPU how's my build?

I think the R5 is a nice size but I've had that kind of case for a long time.
I'd prefer something a little more maymay.

HSF is not the best but shouldn't be the problem either, R9 290 is a thermal reactor, that's probably your problem.
Wait until after 1080ti release, other prices should drop. 1070 should be the most you'll need for 90% of the time.

yo Sup Forums bit the bullet and going for my first bulid,not in to pee cee gaymen so more for multi processing than anything,asrock h97 pro 4 with corsair 45 in a faggoty cit f3 case with a cx500 non modular psu,whats the best 1150 cpu for my dollar to get a speedy build (sorry for any mistakes,currently stoned and coming up on acid)

While I have you here, how relevant is a 1440p display? I've been using the same 1080p monitor for the better part of 7 years, and I've never even seen a higher res one in person. Is it worth upgrading to?

I ask mostly because I was told the 290 was overkill for 1080p, but it didn't necessarily run every game at very high settings [sometimes not high, but I think that was optimization (looking at you, Arkham City]).

I imagine the 1070 is the same amount of overkill, and I'm certain the 1080 is, but I don't know. Thanks for answering plebby questions.

>Is it worth upgrading to?
Idk, i'm on 3x1080p and i don't plan on upgrading.

>I imagine the 1070 is the same amount of overkill, and I'm certain the 1080 is, but I don't know.
For 1080p the 1080 is absolute overkill. The 1070 is overkill, too, but it has good price/performance so it's a reasonable investment for the next few years.
If you don't mind upgrading your GPU in the next few years or when you upgrade to 1440p144Hz you can stick with a 1060 or RX480 for now.
Personally i'd get the 1070 is you have the money.

Intel i3-6100 or intel i5-6500?

Need to replace my z77 extreme 4 mobo. What are ~$100 mobos that still support DDR3 ram?

ASRock H97M

That's a stupid question, you're comparing a budget i3 to a midrange i5.

What if the game uses only 1 core?

Asking again would a skylake i5 be worth it over a phenom ii 965 for gayming?
Like will I see any perfomance gains?

i3 since it's higher clocked and won't profit from a quad core. Still a stupid question, m8.

Wait for Ryzen. Ur almost there buddy you can wait a bit.

Thanks mate.

Looking for an ATX mobo

My first build mostly for gaming, my budget is 580$. Should I change something? pcpartpicker.com/list/Q9rBFd

I should have gone for the i3 6100 and taken a rx 480 but I already bought those parts.

why 6400 is bad,serious question?
Source or something?

Bad value for money and bad gaming performance.
i3-6100 is much higher clocked and cheaper, i5-6500 is not much more expensive but higher clocked as well.
The 6400 is only viable if you want an Intel quad core for cheap money.

How long do you keep boxes/packaging?

I keep mine till the warranty is over.

>intel Core ie 4160
>DDR3
>Graphics Intel HD 4400
>Mfw

>Want to get a knew Card
>But don't know what to get
Fuck it, 1070?

m.mindfactory.de/shopping_cart.php/basket_action/load_basket_extern/id/9b2122221a5c9895ea807a80eda148545f0dfb1665525a8d939

Is everything in this build compatible and will the powercolor rx480 8gb red devil fit into the sharkoon t3-v case?

How much maintenance does water cooling take? I know it would be much more than air cooling, but assuming I get the parts and don't change anything in them, how much effort is it to keep it going aside from changing the water every 5 to 6 months? This is for CPU and GPU cooling.

dx 12

Im building a pc for the first time
pcpartpicker.com/list/2pQ2jc
Is this good?

I love in Poland.
Brand new Zotac 1060 costs 1300PLN
Is here a Gpu with 50% price and performance of 1060?
I was thinking r9 285 or 760 gtx or maybe even 780gtx for 750PLN. I'm buying second hand.
All help appreciated.

if i favour multitasking more than single tasks, would it still be better to get intel instead of amd?

I have multi monitors and never close any program unless I really need it to and all monitors are all full with programs open

im experiencing lags when I play overwatch and nox and alt tab to chrome for some web browsing

I'm thinking about switching to intel cause it's more worth it compared to upgrading to a 8350?

I'm don't want to swap my RAM to DDR4 cause I got these 16gb and it's working fine for me but do I really have to if I want to switch to intel?

Looking to build a PC over a couple months, my current one is 11 years old now and the only things I haven't replaced in it are the motherboard/processor, RAM is old DDR2 so no longer usable. I'm hoping to salvage the graphics card, power supply, HDD's and DVD drive. I only use this PC to watch videos in my living room and over the past 1-2 years its been struggling to stream 1080P videos.
Power supply-600W
GPU-Radeon 6450
HDD's- 1 TB and 320 GB
Case will not be re-usable since its a left side mount (when looking at front).

The HDD nest in my tower is pretty compact, there's not a lot of room for airflow and as a result the HDDS often climb up to 70C. Is there anything I can do other than buying adjustment brackets to put them in the expansion slots?

hey guys, i have an i5 4570t, and recently i've noticed that is way slower than a year ago... should I go for the sixth gen or buy a cooler and overclock it?
i use my pc for gaming, editing video and photography, programming, daily tasks such as browsing in the web, listening music, etc.

Thinking of purchasing a new build for gaming, I suppose it's going to be a bit budgeted (around £1000-£1100) but compared to my existing it's going to be a fair upgrade.

I'm not too clued up on all the latest motherboards and what CPU's should be used with them etc. but I think one thing I've at least learned is that you should only really use the Z1Z0 motherboards with a 'K' processor if you plan to overclock as these two components are the only ones that will allow a CPU overclock? (Judging by product comparison between Z1Z0, H170 and H110 motherboards and googling the meaning of 'K' processors).

Is someone able to confirm this to a newbie please? I suppose it comes down to cost, whether or not you get the value for your money from the additional base clock speeds?

So if I was looking to play mainly at 1080p 60fps, I'm thinking of getting a 1060 paired with a i5 6600k with the idea of maybe overclocking in the future, but if I wasn't going to overclock at all, it might be worth going for the i5 6500 instead?

I also see some people referring to the i3 6100 instead of the i5 6500 due to it's base clock speed being higher over the i5 6500. I'm assuming for gaming purposes this would be because most video games don't use all 4 cores and the i3 is considerably cheaper?

Thanks in advance for helping a newbie!

Switch the NEX for a 500B or G2 550 and get a H110 or B150 mobo.

You need alot more info then that broseph. Can download speccy and give us the screenshot of whats in your computer if it can even take any upgrades.

Also if you got money to buy a 1070, chances are you can skimp down to a 1060 or 480 and build a whole new computer instead.

That's the conclusion I came to.

If you buy second hand i'd say GTX780.

>if i favour multitasking more than single tasks, would it still be better to get intel instead of amd?
Only if you get something like a 6700K or 6800K, otherwise stick with your 8350. You are also a perfect candidate for a Zen upgrade, so i recommend you to wait.

>I play overwatch
If it's for gaming why do you care about more cores/threads than core speed? A 6500 will probably run circles around your 8350 for most games.

>do I really have to if I want to switch to intel?
There are DDR3 compatible mobos, on standard DDR4 mobos you can't, those only take DDR4 and DDR3L, standard DDR3 will blow the memory controller.

You realize a PC to only watch 1080p can be built for like 400 bucks or so? You build is just retarded.

Want OC? Get Z170 + K CPU + 3000 RAM.
Don't want OC? Get standard i3 or i5 and H110 or B150 mobo, get H170 only if you need SLI/XCF.
For 1080p60fps a GTX1060 or RX480 is more than enough. If you plan to OC, get Z170 + 6600K, otherwise 6500 + see above is fine as well.
Don't get the i3-6100 if you can afford the i5-6500, many games already utilize quad core CPUs.

Thanks mate appreciate the clarification.

You've basically summarised what I was hoping to conclude, either get a 1060 and a Z1Z70 + 6600K for potential overclocking or an RX480 and a H110 + 6500 if no overclocking, which is going to be much better for the budget if I'm just looking at 1080p gaming.

Thanks also for the additional info such as staying away from H170 unless SLI plus the i3 if the i5 is affordable, very helpful stuff!

Why is it retarded? I'm trying to set myself up for a reasonable number of years to serve me ie. future 4K use.

>for a reasonable number of years to serve me
>already dead AM3 platform
>mobo more expensive than CPU
>case more expensive than CPU
>Radeon 6450
>600W PSU
>fucking Corsair fan for almost 20 bucks
The whole build is retarded.

>future 4K use.
LOL.

It's a good build, it's just a bit over the top.

Sorry I fix liebert equipment for a living not computers. What would you recommend then?

What should be changed then?

An i3-6100 system without a GPU, that's enough for watching vids in 1080p and shitposting, the iGPU can also handle 4K resolution, if it can handle your usage you'll see.
The Radeon won't do shit at 4K for sure.

what're the best specs for a dual monitor setup?

already have the monitors picked, trying to decide on the graphics card now

halp

I have an old toaster Z68/i3 2100/HD68501g/4g1333

my buddy will sell me his old i5 3470 for $50

Should I get 8gb of ram and a 460, try and resell when I build my new pc or just suffer until summer?

You're just shitposting, I went to logicalincrements to find out my build is pretty much a "modest" build, according to their guide, it should be able to run modern games at high settings on 30fps.

I'm pretty sure the build can handle Overwatch on 60fps without trouble, even if I have to turn settings to medium or low, all I want is constant framerate!

Here's a revised version of the same build:
pcpartpicker.com/list/wCDdM

I am still not decided between Athlon 4x 845 and 860k

I am inclining on the 845 because of the lower voltage, better cooling and because according to game-debate, it performs about 10% better than 860k even though it has slightly slower clockspeed

so this case fits a fucking amazing amount of hardware for only being 11 and a half liters

3.5" HDD, ATX PSU up to 15cm, dual slot GPU up to 10.5" including axial coolers, and 120mm AIO

any owners here?

pcpartpicker.com/list/HT9ZWX

How did I do?

ok, listen to this.
It will be maybe a little unortodox for "know-alls" here but truth is "futureproofing" is an flawed concept
as things are in last ~6-7 years.
I had an great run with i5 2500k(would still suggest it), but things are diff now.
First choose fps and resolution you would like to play your games,then inform yourself about your "mustplay" games(cpu/gpu demands).That will give you clear pic if you need i3,i5,i7 /rx470,rx480,gtx1060,gtx1070(4 or 8 gb ddr5)etc,take into acc that nvidia gpu does not depend on cpu as amd gpu, that amd cpu/gpu has higher tdp and are warmer(but also take into acc that intvidia charge dearly for that (cooler and lower tdp while "faster")privilege).
Take into acc that 4 solid(with nice clocks) cores are better than 8ht(to the point,its better to turn off ht in some cases).
Also take into acc that all this could(or not) change overnight when ryzen/ps4pro/xboscorp became relevant(devs will always take priority with consoles).
So.where does that leave you, buy 80+ psu(better one, it could last you couple of builds), mobo check upgrade path( you can easily buy i3 6100 and replace it with 6600k if need arises), buy decent air cooler(people praise evo212 but i found some much cheaper coolers to do better job). Main thing is
>never be an early adopter nor buy pc on crossroads of gens(real generations,totally different arhitectures,not some small upgrade)
>never buy flagship anything,never fall in love in your hw(sell cpu/gpu, buy another,buy used,dont cry if you lose 20% value,maybe next big thing will drop value of your xpnsive hw up to 90%,ask titan owners ;))
Welcome to endless world of pcgayming(youll like it,all of it, no matter what peasants say)

For movies, shitposting, etc.: none.
For gaymen: pick whatever doesn't brake your bank
Note that AMD GPUs already draw more power than Nvidia and with a multi monitor setup the power draw will be increased.

Suffer until summer.

>You're just shitposting,
No, you are just illiterate. If you've already been on logicalincrements you should notice your mistakes.
If you can't spot them i suggest you get a prebuilt like all other tech illiterates.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/wCDdM
>404

>I am still not decided between Athlon 4x 845 and 860k
Why the fuck would you want this ancient CPU? Are you that broken and can't afford a i3-6100?

Absolute shit.
>overpriced, loud AIO
>no 3000 RAM
>overpriced 1080 fucking (((Founders Edition™)))
>overpriced Corsair PSU
>paying for Wangblows 10

>that broke
yeah, I guess that's it huh

Oh thank God I found this general, I've had my head buried in Youtube vids and the stick for the past week thinking this wasn't allowed.

Just a gaming, school, and Sup Forums machine
PCPartPicker part list: pcpartpicker.com/list/khrBFd
>CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($189.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($76.98 @ >Newegg)
>Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($93.99 @ Jet)
>Storage: PNY CS1311 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($64.99 @ Jet) & Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($48.60 @ OutletPC)
>Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB WINDFORCE OC 6G Video Card ($249.99 @ Jet)
>Case: Deepcool TESSERACT SW ATX Mid Tower Case ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz)
>Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($43.89 @ OutletPC)
>Wireless Network Adapter: Gigabyte GC-WB867D-I PCI-Express x1 802.11a/b/g/n/ac >Wi-Fi Adapter ($29.99 @ Newegg Marketplace)
>Monitor: Asus VS238H-P 23.0" 1920x1080 Monitor ($128.99 @ B&H)
>Keyboard: Corsair STRAFE RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard ($119.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1086.39
Any recomended changes for my money? I do have some room on my budget.
Also, can I trust Paul's Hardware and Kinguin's ~$30 dollar windows 10?