Have any of you anons bought a chromebook pixel? How is it now? Do you regret your purchase?

Have any of you anons bought a chromebook pixel? How is it now? Do you regret your purchase?

It's beautiful and well made but at the end of the day it's specs are average, which makes it the single most retarded purchase, even above buying Apple shit.

Posting from my 2015 base model and it's pretty awesome... I have a 2015 13" MBP too that goes mostly unused now that I have the Chromebook.

> muh specs
ChromeOS runs well even on shitty specs and the Pixel is overkill.

All true. But then you factor in the price, and that's what makes it a retarded purchase.

So you prefer the chromebook? What do you prefer compared to your macbook?

It's the little things: general ease of use/simplicity, overall speed, glorious 3:2 screen, battery life, USB type-C on both sides (can charge from either side and can share charger with phone). Everything I do on my personal machine is on the web too so I don't really hit any limitations with the OS. MacOS and Windows start to feel pretty clunky and outdated after using ChromeOS for a while.

Which version do you have? Your CPU/Ram? And how much did you pay for it?

I just don't see the point of shelling out that much for an OS intended to be for web browsing and document typing.

Nooooo it does not
Old chromeos could run on a pentium ii

Modern chromeos struggles on my CR-48, because the atom n455 is trash

2015 i5 w/ 8GB RAM. Got a good deal on eBay for $500 but would gladly pay the $1k MSRP if I hadn't gotten the MBP as a gift.
I'd seriously consider getting one of the upcoming Chromebooks (Asus C302CA, Samsung Chromebook Pro) if I didn't already have too many machines at home. Also Bison/Pixel 3 might be worth waiting for.

>would gladly pay the $1k MSRP

For a Chromebook, really?

>if it's able to run the OS it ships with it's good
That's what people expect of a product now, huh.

2016 macbooks and their 3 hour battery life would disagree with you

Yes. I definitely used to care more about specs and expandability and extra functionality--I got a Thinkpad a couple years back, upgraded the RAM and SSD, planned to build an eGPU setup, etc. but Windows had terrible battery management, Linux took a lot of work to get a good setup, the thing was heavy and ran hot all the time, and fucking Windows forcing updates and other random shit. The Macbook is a little better but still has too much going on that I don't actually care about--nagging to restart to update some pre-installed app I never use, getting hot for reason, lagging when logging back in or restarting, etc.

At the end of the day, 99% of the time I'm on my personal machine is on Chrome and none of those that I've seen or used has matched the Chromebook Pixel in speed and experience. Though there are definitely downsides to a Chromebook, it's pretty much ideal for my use-case. 10 times out of 10, I reach for the Chromebook over my Macbook or tablet--that to me makes it worth the asking price.

>using a meme OS

Wew

This isn't a Linux thread.

it's great
just
SOLDERED STORAGE

Yeah I read about that, that's the one thing that bothers me about it, I honestly think the design is great and it seems like a cool machine otherwise. I guess you have a SD slot, at least

It kinda is. Chrome OS is Linux based.

Biggest waste of time and money. The most expensive brick I've purchased. It's now left in my barely used office at work where I sometimes do spreadsheets and play poker online

All I do is shitpost and watch youtube, mail it to me.

You should sell it for cheap on ebay, I want one

Sorry boys, I made the company pay for it, now it's my 'make it look like im working when im in the office' machine

Aw, well alright, good job making your company pay for that though

That's the thing, people are so quick to judge other people's purchases and tech decisions but they never stop to think about that individuals use case. A few years ago I could have gotten by with a chrome book because I used Google for everything. Now I am balls deep in Apple's services so I use all of their shit.

I don't know much about ChromeOS. I wouldn't consider it unless:

* It's usable without doing a Google login. Only a local login is acceptable.
* It's usable if it's on a network segment that doesn't have a gateway to the internet.
* I can ssh into it and get a full bash.
* I can open a terminal window on its desktop and get a full bash, with sudo.
* The browser must support file:// URLs.
* There must be support for USB flash drives. I don't care about SATA or optical media.
* I can wipe it and reinstall the OS from either a DVD or a USB flash drive.
* I can install packages from a repository using the command-line.
* The repository is freely accessible and requires no signup or login or anything.
* It has a reasonable collection of packages. It doesn't have be the size of Canonical, but it should at least have a few thousand of the most popular packages.
* You can access 3rd-party repositories (like a PPA-type of thing).

Does it have all that? If so, I might look at it. If it's missing any of those things out of the box then I won't bother.

what OS are you running? also how do you cope with the short internal storage?

You can install Linux or even WIndows though, if you want!

Got a 2013 Pixel for $230 on ebay a few weeks ago
Love it, really good looking, keyboard is solid for a laptop and the Hidpi youch screen is great looking
Got the LTE version too so I have verizon connectivity with it
And if you open it up and remove the write screw, you can fully remove any piece of chromeos. That way it just boots into SeaBIOS and then to whatever distro you're running
Only downsides is that it can get hot as fuck, battery life maxes out at 5 hours and slight image retention on the IPS display that fades after a few minutes

>You can install Linux or even WIndows though, if you want!

Glad to hear the ChromeBook supports other OSes.

But it's the ChromeOS I was really wondering about. Is it a real tool that's designed for the user's benefit? Or is it just Google marketing department's way to try to force people to sign onto their Google account, use the Google store, get them all hooked up to the botnet, and so forth -- so that Google can sell their eyeballs and their identity to the highest bidder?

To put my question another way: Does ChromeOS have at least as much functionality as Raspbian running on a $35 Raspberry Pi with all its GPIO pins cut off?

You can use chrome apps, and webapps, which are beginning to be pretty important (Even Skype has a webapp now) so I'd say you can use it for a lot of stuff (And like I and that user said, you can remove the write-protect screw and just install windows or full linux if you want)

I don't have a pixel, but I have a shitty cheap one that wiped and installed ubuntu on and I love it

The Pixel is a showcase device to show off what a Chromebook CAN be, but the price is straight up retarded.

Yeah, we all mostly use the web, but I write software and build website for real clients on the side, so a Chromebook is useless to me without the ability to write software. I can SSH into my AWS Lightsail instances using one but they'll always just be a secondary device to me. Which is fine, but I need to get real work done, so I could never use one full time. But YMMV.

can't decide on 2013 vs 2015
LTE is cool
upgradeable storage? is cool

but the faster processor and more RAM is also nice

ChromeOS
Don't really need to save anything local to browse Sup Forums and shitpost

>Is it a real tool that's designed for the user's benefit? Or is it just Google marketing department's way to try to force people to sign onto their Google account, use the Google store, get them all hooked up to the botnet, and so forth -- so that Google can sell their eyeballs and their identity to the highest bidder?

Part of it is for Google to be less reliant on other companies internally (currently mostly macOS internally, the company gives out ChromeOS devices whenever possible).

Anyone here uses the pixel as a linux dev machine? Compatibility with newer hardware is a bit shit and I would rather have something that just werks.

How well does HIDPI work on the major DEs nowadays?

2013 has miserable battery life and 2015 has USB type-C charging (future-proof)

2015 is also a thousand bucks on eBay when it shows up once in a blue moon

Ex Googlefag here. I used to use a Pixel at work. I switched from a MacBook Pro and it was as comfy as fuck.

At Google you're not allowed to have source code checked out onto laptops (desktop machines only), so the Chromebook actually worked pretty well for me. I could use it to access all the shit I needed, including my desktop box remotely.

So could you keep the Pixel after you left Google? Did you enjoy ChromeOS and the build quality and such?

>so I'd say you can use it for a lot of stuff

I'm sure you can. But what interests me much more is what you CAN'T use ChromeOS for. Knowing Google, I can definitely imagine them deliberately crippling ChromeOS in certain strategic ways.

For example, I read about "crosh" -- the ChromeOS shell that has only minimum functionality, instead of a full bash. That's exactly the kind of thing that makes me realize that ChromeOS is not designed for my benefit -- it's designed for Google's benefit.

>have you got your botnetbook yet?
no thanks senpai