Better than dual boot, no one told me this

1. physically disconnect 2nd ssd
2. install linux + gnu on 1st ssd
3. reconnect 2nd ssd
4. install windows on 2nd ssd
5. at boot press F12 to switch between linux + gnu and windows

You can now encrypt your OSes easily. If you fuck up you don't have to reinstall both OSes. Thank me later.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/VGxzHkI8rXo
ghacks.net/2013/01/10/windows-8s-fast-startup-does-not-play-well-with-dual-boot-systems/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

welcome to 1986

Why isn't this suggest when you look for dual boot. Wasted years fucking around with retarded dual boot and grub.

1. Buy 2 SSDs and 2 swap frames for 5.25" slots
2. Only connect 1st SSD for Loonix if you work
3. Only connect 2nd SSD for Wincuck if you play

So they don't even know that there's someone else existing

what if they (the reptilians) open the case?

Well, I hope you still encrypted your data.

I know right?

It's not fucking 1999 anymore, having multiple hard drives laying around is normal even for the technologically illiterate.

Although, searching for dual boot will necessarily bring up articles about answering the question of dual booting-- and not other solutions to a given problem (using two OSes on one machine).

A good KVM switch is even better, though it requires two separate systems.

youtu.be/VGxzHkI8rXo

>Why isn't this suggest when you look for dual boot.
It is, unless you take PC advice from retards.

Another protip: don't use "fast startup" or hibernation when dual booting unless you want to fuck up your files.

You can buy a power switch for sata drives.
I wish motherboards would let you disable specific ports, though.

But user I tell every dissatisfied winfag i see to throw mint on another HDD

Lol maybe because it's obvious? The standard dual boot guide will tell you to partition your drive, but a partition is basically a separate virtual drive so if you have another (real) phisical drive using it together with the windows installation drive should be the first thing you think of, becase its cleaner

How is this not called dual booting?

Because this is fucking elementary when it comes to tech. Like seriously, what the fuck? Should you be handling a computer, pet alone hard drives at all?

What isn't elementary and much much more common however is dual booting on a single hard drive (e.g. laptops, old computers) since both systems need to be on the same bootloader - Hence why guides mention it.

That's cool and all, but you need two drives. That might be a little bit of a problem

Dual booting is far too annoying
>close all your programs just to run one specific program
>maintain configuration for 2 systems instead of 1 (like e-mail client, browser, messenger)
>update 2 operating systems instead of 1
>backing up 2 systems instead of 1
Just stop playing video games instead

>Dual booting is far too annoying
>>close all your programs just to run one specific program
Ever heard of hibernation?

Can't use that when dual booting, unless you unplug the drive.

I have a dual boot setup where I also use Parallels to manage Windows. So I can open anything quickly without restarting, except for that rare occasion in which I would need to run Windows on bare metal.

They're still effectively closed, not available, while you run the other system.
>expect an e-mail
>let me hibernate and reboot real quick

I wish idiots like you would stop posting on Sup Forums

Wut?

You can from Linux. Not sure about windows, but it should be okay.

I wish I had more money.

tl;dr - It corrupts the file system
ghacks.net/2013/01/10/windows-8s-fast-startup-does-not-play-well-with-dual-boot-systems/

He's actually right.

Dual booting from 1 drive is doing it the hard way. That's why all articles focus on this.

Dual booting from two drives is fool proof and deserves no extra explanation at all.

>ghacks.net/2013/01/10/windows-8s-fast-startup-does-not-play-well-with-dual-boot-systems/

So you just shouldn't EVER mount that windows partition R/W to fuck shit up. Duh.

As it says at the end, some new Linux distros can detect a hibernated Windows and disable write access automatically.
But I doubt Windows can detect that Linux is hibernated.

That's all unnesecarry. Just don't add your win partition to fstab and windows can't read (and thus write) any filesystem other than fat or ntfs.

BTW, dual booting between 7 and 8/10 is also problematic. But 8 and 10 supposedly can detect hibernation among themselves.

What's with all these operating systems fucking up each others partitions?