Does anyone else imagine having to explain elements of today's society to someone from (for example) 1995?

Does anyone else imagine having to explain elements of today's society to someone from (for example) 1995?

Things like podcasts, Uber and Amazon Go would absolutely blow their minds. The closest thing to a relevant piece of technology at the time would have been a shitty Casio PDA. The Internet existed but at the time it was pretty much just a collection of fansites. You would have to convince them that it eventually becomes a platform in which people (not just nerds) spend most of their lives shopping, socializing and being entertained

>You would have to convince them that it eventually becomes a platform in which people (not just nerds) spend most of their lives shopping, socializing and being entertained

You wouldn't because that was the general idea that was being sold to the masses. Before the dot com crash you had rudimentary versions of everything you have now, except social media. Nobody saw that one coming.

Maybe. But I'm talking about how ubiquitous it became so quickly to nearly everyone.

My mum doesn't know shit about technology but she can order whatever she wants through Amazon on her Kindle

>My mum doesn't know shit about electrical engineering but she can order whatever she wants through her phone

>My mum doesn't know shit about electrical engineering but she can watch whatever she wants on tv

>My mum doesn't know shit about aerospace engineering but she can travel to whatever she wants on a plane

>>My mum doesn't know shit about mechanical engineering but she can drive whatever she wants on her car

That's not new.

There literally is no difference between today and fifty years ago.

What is Amazon? It's just a Sears catalog for the 21st century, literally not any difference in concept, instead of issuing one huge catalog per season, you can change it at will. When talked with old people instead of saying I ordered Xyz from the internet I tell them I ordered Xyz from a catalog, and they instantly understand it.

Things like uber already existed, they're called taxi companies, because uber is no different than a taxi comapny, they just outsource all their costs to the driver because they don't actually own the cars, the main difference being if a driver works full time for uber he ends up actually making zero money due to taxes and maintenance because of the way he gets paid, while back then taxi companies actually owned the cars. Uber could have been done 20 or 30 years ago actually with a PBX and IVR machines hooked to a mainframe, it could all have been done by phone.

Podcasts may be the hardest to explain but then again not really, it's like a mail in cassete club, except it works through the internet which makes it near instant.

The really arrogant thing about silicon valley types is that they thing all this shit is new innovative and disruptive. It's just old concepts on steroids using computers and the internet. There was a reason physical stores became a thing, there was a reason urban sprawl was a thing, there was a reason as to why the world was the way it was and why it's going the way it's going. They like to make us thing all these things will help our lives be better to get us on these platforms, giving these companies access to our lives, letting their surveillance into our homes because they make our lives better, this will not end well we all fucking know it, but somehow we're still in the honey moon period. Just talk with a teenager, they can't use a computer to do shit. Old people came up with this shit, its the same thing in a different package

How is a podcast different from radio? I never used it.

>How is a podcast different from radio? I never used it.

Radio is a stream. Podcast is like a bottle of water from that stream, one that is packaged and distributed.

Podcast can be audio or video, and the content can either be amateurish, made by pros like a youtube video or it could simply be a recording of the radio/tv program.

Basically a decentralized Youtube, for mostly audio.

ty

It took me a while to actually understand this concept, maybe because it was so fucking obvious and I never quite got why it has the name it has (funnily enough, I'm sure most that actually listen to them today have no fucking clue as to the origin).

But surely this shit existed before the ipod?
Right?

That's why I didn't get it. I always assumed that there was more to it than pre-recorded talkshow ham radio.

Yep, this, it wouldn't be that hard, OP.

I read a story about this idea except it was for someone travelling back in time at two points:

-A 1950 traveler going back to 1900
-A 2000 traveler going back to 1950

Each traveler has to explain the technological, and cultural differences to the person in the past. The conclusion of the story was that a 1950 to 1900 traveler would be hard to explain technology and easy to explain culture changes, and the exact opposite for 2000 to 1950.

Try explaining SJWs, TITP, fat acceptance movement, MGTOW, et al to someone from 1995.

sure did exist in text format online, it was called a 'zine (magazine) and nobody gave a shit about those either. Nobody cared about zines just like nobody cared about podcasts.

>podcasts
what, is it 2005 again?

The podcast term appeared before the ipod, but so close at the same time that I don't know if the origin of the term has been clarified yet. Jobs had a role in popularizing it with itunes, because up until itunes there was no easy way to find podcasts, there was no central location where normies could go find it and until normies popularize something it may as well not exist.

Jobs was really into podcasting and even at that video there is of him introducing podcasts on itunes he used the words RSS feeds. I did hear on a podcast actually, that a NY times writer coined the term in a article where he explains what audio rss feeds are and called it podcast. So that is one theory going around.

>he haven't heard about the podcast resurgence

you're missing a lot of good content user. podcasts are in a lot of ways superior to youtube videos and actually informative.

podcasts are write-only content as in you say things and agree with yourself or have 1-2 other people agree with you and then "publish" it. they're basically vocal circlejerks. Won't exist on youtube because they can't because other people can respond to the video to say why they're wrong. This is the only reason why you'd ever see a podcast made in this format after 2007.

>Maybe. But I'm talking about how ubiquitous it became so quickly to nearly everyone.

Honestly, plenty of (smart) people saw this coming from a mile away. I feel like you would have to be a little stupid not to see how massive of an influence the internet was going to have on everyone/everything.

There were just too many things that it made too convenient for people NOT to adopt it. Understand that by the mid 90s, most big corporations had already adopted the usage of the internet in one way or another. Even as far back as the 70s people were talking about how networking was going to revolutionize the world.

It's funny though, as basically points out, nothing has really changed that much. The internet has just made the shit we already did faster and easier. But it hasn't brought a whole lot of new stuff to the world. For the most part it's just improved on ideas we already have.

The biggest difference now, is arguably the fact that every Joe-Blow now has the technology available to him, that he can record and publish video/audio/music/magazines etc etc etc.

>in you say things and agree with yourself or have 1-2 other people agree with you and then "publish" it

You could say that for any medium I guess it truly depends on what you're listening to, I subscribe to a lot of radio feeds that will throw a little bit of everything into their feed like BBC audio documentaries, some are unbearable in terms of SJW but I listen to them because I feel that maybe if I hear the reasons and the whys to why they are the way they are I'd understand, it's not working but I listen anyway.

I find what you talk about more in certain "types" of podcasts there are some that preach to their own choir, joe rogen people are like that and so are Bill Burr people, I just couldn't listen to them rambling about nothing anymore. It's all in what you pick, there are really nice podcasts that are made to appeal to the masses without pushing certain points of view and there are some that can't help but exhibit their biases.

But see user I see the world in a way where you and me are the same, we are equal, I take for granted that you have eyes and ears and a brain and you can think for yourself and you can decide that they're full of shit or they're good to listen to. Maybe you need to look into podcasts again there is some really good content out there, look for things that are published on mainstream media, in general they're made to appeal to a large swath of the populous who actually cares and thinks. I get a lot of my documentaries from podcasts.

>would absolutely blow their minds
kek. no, people wasn't retarded neither in 1995 nor in 1955.

if anything, they would be disappointed with all the empty promises MSM gave them about 2017

I was checking out Sega Saturn games on Sega's website and buying computer shit at Cyberian Outpost in 95. I forget when NextGerneration website came out, but I spent a lot of time on there too. Broadband and p2p had the biggest impact on the Internet. Podcasts, Uber, and Amazon Go are flash in the pan.

Would it really be that mind-blowing?

>computer's are cheaper
>phones are smaller
>phones work like computers
>internet forums fused with chats and blogs and became a mainstream way of socializing
>muh internet catalog for buying anime figures

mgtow would be easy to explain, guys have been getting fucked hard in divorces for a VERY long time, you explain to them the way that feminism shifted from equality to kill all men and you have you answer.

hell, a drunken one night stand can now claim rape and be taken seriously. in this way mgtow is almost a logical conclusion. cut what you don't need out of your life and move on.

not hard to explain a podcast, its a radio show in a new format that requires far less hardware to do then it use to.

>mgtow would be easy to explain

No it wouldn't you have to have some context of what marriage has been until VERY recently. Until VERY recently, somewhere in the 80s there was still valid laws on the books that men had nearly ownership status over their wives in places like Utah and there was a supreme court case about it. What you'd have to explain to any men 100 years ago or even 50 years ago, is how women convinced the state to give them on top of equality under the law, mandatory obligation of economic support by the male without the contract of marriage, you'd have to first explain what the fuck divorce even means.

uber, or at least the concept of uber is not.

everyone needs a taxi at some point, be it a big city or you don't have a designated driver, only difference is you don't flag one down or call, you use the internet.

lol shut up pol

if we are talking about 1950, sure, but not 1995.
even then, you just explain the progression of feminism, how they get rights, they get opportunity but are never treated as equal to men.

lets use a simple example, a date.

the man goes on the date, and now has to pay for everything. This is expected

The future where everything is equal

The man has to go on a date, pay for everything, and if he wants to split it he is seen as the cheap piece of shit.

They want their cake with no downside, and currently they never gave up any of their special princess privileges yet.

It has become so socially prevalent that people just give up finding their other because its not worth the effort. Its far from difficult to explain, especially after high profile divorces and divorces in the families get more and more common.

I'm curious how the guerrilla tactic of doxxing and trying to get someone fired would work in terms of periods of 10 more years ago. As in, the idea of anonymous complaints from someone totally outside the company that has nothing to do with them. I think the hardest part would be explaining overzealous PC where people are fired over it because they think it will be bad PR. Because you can get online and bitch and bitch and bitch and it will appear in search engine results.

>1995?
>omg user raped me! (he said hi in an elevator)
>Sounds great but who are you again?
>Nevermind that!
>Um fuck off sorry

>phones work like computers
Yes, it really would be.

it wouldn't be that hard to explain to myself. I was online in 1995. I would say, "hey the internet gets really fast and becomes the new TV. jocks, niggers and girls use it"

podcasts are radio on demand

I do. Sometimes from 1995, sometimes from 1965, and sometimes from the year 5.

Daydreamin' my life away.

I was online in 1995 too. My mind would have been blown just with:
>you're always online, there's no dialing and paying per minute

Then you have all that other jazz:
>you'll have a pocket computer with fast internet and 3d games way better than your current PC
>buying things online is easier than buying it in a store with money, and it shows up on your doorstep two days later
>you can watch video instantly instead of waiting 4 hours to download a 30MB realmedia file
>you never have to be queued on xdcc bots
>you never have to buy or store CDs to play games, they're just always available online

I hadn't seen the 1995 part. I was referring to 1950.

As far as the man goes on a date and has to pay, that is just how it always was, has been and always will be, women want both the cake and have it to, the difference now is that under the law they have total equal rights in a marriage plus they have the grace of society which still expects the men to support the woman at every step of her life, its not that they have more rights than men under the law, society and those who enforce the laws favor women as a general rule.

No different than today, you can make an accusation any accusation, including a criminal one, and generally if you're a woman, the police or the employer are more likely to side in your favor than not, because they're afraid of getting sued for discrimination. I think oif anything now, there is an expectation that you will have proof to back up your claim because social media and smartphone usage is ubiquitous. As maybe 10 years ago it would always be a he said she said no one ever really knew.

>There literally is no difference between today and fifty years ago.

Retard. Only someone who has no concept of history or the industrial revolution would say something like this.

Kill yourself.

>you can watch video instantly instead of waiting 4 hours to download a 30MB realmedia file
>you never have to be queued on xdcc bots
>you never have to buy or store CDs to play games, they're just always available online

Those would be simply logical assumptions when you assume high speed broadband over the speed of 1mbps or even 2mbps and everyone always knew that fiber would be the ultimate goal and eventually something better than that would come along.

>you'll have a pocket computer with fast internet and 3d games way better than your current PC

I think that was everyones expecation but people kept waiting for it, Nokia had the dominance of the cell phone market and wouldn't evolve past of where it was, even though their phones were more capable than a an iphone when it was launched, they were to complicated for normies.

>buying things online is easier than buying it in a store with money, and it shows up on your doorstep two days later

Since when is buying things online easier than buying in a store with money? It isn't today and it never was and your grandparents will tell you they did things like that before with a sears catalog.

>haha the world is no different to the past because things today stem from the past

I guess Ancient Greece is just like 1950s New York then :^)

So where are your arguments against that post?

Can i bring my ipad to the past? ill just show them some screenshots from various web pages.

Trump is President, Bruce Jenner is a man, cars drive themselves, Muslims are blowing themselves up and Sweden is a Caliphate. Buckle up.

There is no response.

Only a dimwitted moron with no concept of history or anthropology would make such a post.

Fuck, I remember looking up books on that design of Amazon.

>Podcasts may be the hardest to explain but then again not really, it's like a mail in cassete club, except it works through the internet which makes it near instant.
Just say it's a radio play. People will immediately understand that.

>be me last night
>looking for teen nostaligia music to dl
>first album has more reviews than usual
>all from 2001
>forget about the music and feel weird
> think about where those people are now and if they are still alive

Thanks for reading my feels blog.

>people think Amazon Uber are actually something new
That mentality is what caused the dot com bust in 2000, it wasn't until a few years ago that Amazon made actual profit, Twitter still does not make money.

The only thing the internet brought to us was for all purposes instant transfers of communications at a massive scale. The information exchange was instant. That is the power of the internet. Amazon itself is just a catalog of products just like any other mother fucking catalog out there in real paper, exactly the same concept, the difference is cost of production, cost of maintenance and the ability to change the information and prices at any time.

To say that those differences are somehow magical because muh internet is not understanding how every other medium out there came into maturity, not understanding economy, and not understanding political change. Do you truly think that the internet will stay as it is now? Do you really think that countries will start regulating the internet the same way they regulate everything else, basically putting up borders to the internet making one network per country instead of a single network world wide?

yea, explaining to the 1950's technology would be far easier than the 1900 person, but that massive culture shift... That culture shift would be a motherfucker to try and explain.

I could possibly explain a computer and the internet to someone from 1900 through,

I mean they have a telegraph, so telling them that every dot is a 1 and line is a 0 would be easy, then telling them that we made a machine that could read the ones and zeros very fast would also be easy, and telling him that if you set it up in a way that you saw a light bulb it would go on and off fast enough that you would see it as a shade from black to white would be easy, just got him to black and white tv, or at least the concept of one though pulse width modulation. then telling him that they got even faster at reading it and added filters of red green and blue brings him up to color tv.

show him a big grandfather clock, and a pocket watch, and explain that we learn to make machines on a level so small we cant see it without a microscope, and we get him to understand that the technology gets really REALLY small, and over time what use to take up entire buildings now takes up no space at all, explain to him the progress of cars and how efficency got better and draw a a parallel, and now we have those building size things in our homes, using next to no power comparatively and can send and receive signals where we only use to be able to receive.

granted, everything would not be correct, but it would give him a VERY good idea of what I'm talking about, and then explain to him the benefits of having all of the knowledge humans ever had at your disposal benefits everyone and he should be able to have an idea.

but explaining the social aspect without going into borderline conspiracy theories would be hard.

buying anything besides clothing and perishables in a store is almost pointless, and that sears catalogue, not sure the last time you looked at these things was, but it was a good 6-12 weeks for delivery pre computers. As I see it, the most remarkable thing about online shopping is you can buy everything online, at cheaper prices than a store has, with VERY minimal wait times, some things are able to be bought pretty much from manufacturers with 0-1 middle man so the prices are sometimes half what you would get online and 1/4th what you would pay in store.

The only real major difference is convenience and time savings which are both remarkable and in the way we did it, potentially unbelieveable things.

God, things like this are weird.
watching some old tv, realize that even at the time of recording there is a good chance all the people who made the laugh track are dead, even back then, and are surely dead now.