Email providers - The Final Showdown

Can we finally settle this forever, lads?

>email provider of choice
>reasons
>do you think paying for email is worthy?

Other urls found in this thread:

e.mail.ru/signup?from=main_noc
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

despite the hacks, yahoo hasn't let me down in over 15 years. it just werks.

>tired of gmail
>paid for protonmail premium
>aliases accounts are permanent
>got a refund

now testing fastmail, and i have to say it is the best interface and features i have seen in a while

>All the free ones are out if you don't want your data sold.
>All of the privacy related mail hosts have at least one downside each so far. (e.g. no custom domain, no DKIM/SPF/DMARC/etc, no IMAP/POP/SMTP, etc)

Currently with Fastmail until one of the privacy oriented ones get their shit together. According to the privacy agreement they shouldn't sell my data to advertisers.
Pro: web interface is better than Gmail, mail calendar and contact syncing works great with Android.
Con: it's hosted in the US.

Protonmail might be an option as soon as they support IMAP. They're working on it, but their support is very vague about the progress.
Cons: they paid ransom (under pressure of their investors), a lot of the JS encryption stuff is probably snakeoil.

Posteo seems like the most serious about their cause, but don't allow custom domains. (would require them to log more customer data due to laws)

Tutanota is like Protonmail, but only have a M$ Outlook extension, nothing for Thunderbird or any other open source client.

Kolab seems promising, but they lack reviews.

mail.com still exists? I remember I made something like 12 alt accounts with it back in 2001. I wonder if any of them are still active.

I have my main faux account there

>Currently with Fastmail
hey man, does the aliases work decently? i mean, can i have a bunch of them and create/delete aliases?

protonmail gives you 5 unique aliases, and you can't delete them, only disable, so you basically have 5 'accounts'

>email provider of choice
mail.ru

>reasons
excellent email and it's not hosted in US and its puppet nations.

>do you think paying for email is worthy?
no. when free options are plentiful, there's no point.

>i click on the link
>let's check what user is about

it's like russian Yahoo. it's a huge company. signup is on the top left.

e.mail.ru/signup?from=main_noc

set it up and then either use web or Thunderbird as a client.

>Yandex Mail
>Free (No Ad)
>Unlimited storage
>24 month expiry
>all other shit is green
Why does Yandex Mail look like the most attractive option? What is the catch to this service?

ty user

>when free options are plentifu
i am about to pay for an email service because i am tired of agreement changes, UI fuck ups, or plain product shoving (basically nu-Google)

i am in awe about how good the fastmail UI is
and the password per device feature is pretty neat

it is a rusky service

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yandex

let me provide a source for OPs image
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_webmail_providers

Show me free email provider that does not require mobile number on signup.

>What is the catch to this service?
there is no catch. yandex and mail.ru are god-tier. and beyond fbi/nsa/wtf's reach.

Also no russian ones.

peep

fastmail asked for phone number on first imap access

Same shit

i know, just wanted to point that out
you only get this type of info once you are in

the same as the aliases policy on protonmail: IT IS ASS

>INTERJECTION

That sigaint thing looks nice. Why not use it?

Why wouldn't you rent your own server and run a mail server on it if you're so concerned about privacy and usability ? It's better than using any foreign service.

This thread is pointless because it leaves out the most important column - "muh privacy". Unfortunately the biggest and most important column also doesn't exist because it's all shitty psuedo-culture all made up and based on memes from journalist clickbait circa 10 years ago.

You hear this about gmail but as soon as gmail is done being talked about you'll see it for every other provider. Handling this is 100% impossible because muhprivacy shits are just like SJWs: if you don't say it's privacy oriented, then they'll claim it's tracking. If you do say it's privacy oriented, well then guys why would they say that if they weren't trying to fool you? They're obviously lying if they have to say it outright! It's quantum bullshit.

gets worse because you can't buy a host or vps either, because the host could be spying on you etc.

Good news is that most privacy shits can't function in everyday normal life because they are also the type that just says you have to throw everything out made after the 80s and they end up hosting it themselves at home and get banned on every anti-spam network forever within days. They therefore effectively eliminate themselves from the communication pool.

This thread is pointless because it will follow this cycle:
>Use (popular service?)
>muh botnet, muh privacy, based off shit journalist memes
>So what do you use then?
>Oh I use some piece of shit
>but it won't make it to anyone's inbox if I use that
>So go use (popular service)

>it is a rusky service

Compared to America's tracking of NSA and Google botnet, what am I losing with the Ruskies?

protonmail encrypts the inbox

that is a good question

>pic

>unique features

wait does gmail account really expire?

What's wrong with the pic? Isn't this thing supposed to be able to exchange mail with the outer internet?

cock.li

/thread

most don't, actually.
only shitty ones like gmail/yahoo/microsoft that you shouldn't be using anyway.

Yeah. But gmail does not recycle addresses, unlike Yahoo and Outlook.

>go to yandex to create an account
>never in my life have i ever encountered someone using my name on an account
>yandex tells me the account is already in use

a fucking rusky service
this guys are wizards

My DNS provider offers their own paid mail service under the domain I bought and I use that.

>run a mail server
>usability

Running your own mail server is one of most painful common system administration tasks and a total waste of time for a single user.

Fuck off, FSB

yahoo or gmail

>yahoo
literally scans every single email for NSA.

> gmail
One word: PRISM.

Im doubting between firstname.one and anonymous.com

Im not sure what the future of new domain extensions like .one will be. Maybe it will disappear again in 10 years.
And not having your domain named after you adds a layer of privacy, so you can also use it for accounts that arent tied to your name.
But firstname.one is so tempting.

There isn't, unless you consider it being Russian a bad thing. Yandex is Russia's answer to google and it's pretty good.

The email service is great. The web client is quick and good looking (unlike fucking slow gmail), and the phone client is honestly the best mobile email client I've ever used.

>provider
Gmail
>reasons
Works, isn't Microsoft, and I see no reason to make a new email now
>paying
No. I only use email to register to websites and never visit it other than to confirm registrations. So I don't even mind ads as long as I can check my mail once a month without too much hassle and without paying. Also adblocking is a thing.

Do you guys prefer Tutanota or Protonmail?

Gmail doesn't require a phone number, it's optional. In fact, I'm sure most provides don't require it.

no, I recently logged in two accounts (because I was trying to disable a YT account from 2004) that I hadn't logged in to since 2003 and they worked, still had the invite mails inside and shit

Gmail launched in 2004.

yeah I checked and it's 2005, whatever, that's still more than ten years without being ditched

Thats interesting because they explicitly state they shut down inactive accounts. Maybe it only goes for new accounts. Or they just wish to reserve the right.

>yahoo
>those guys that keep getting hacked over and over again but don't tell anyone

Wew