ARM getting into desktop processor market when?

ARM getting into desktop processor market when?

Other urls found in this thread:

cavium.com/ThunderX_ARM_Processors.html
anandtech.com/show/10353/investigating-cavium-thunderx-48-arm-cores
b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5460#ov
b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5423#ov
imgur.com/a/rBP2W#0
kickstarter.com/projects/1771382379/firefly-rk3399-six-core-64-bit-high-performance-pl/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

when they get in to the server market

How will they do that with mobile processors?

>ARM getting into desktop processor market when?
Never

Its a shit architecture a fucking pain in the ass for developers, that shit sucks balls the onli reason it exists its because their low energy consumption and desktops dont have that problem.

Also if you think that my argument is shit, try to install a none Android Os into your phone, I save you the pain on trying, You cant

Arn was implemented into phones becasue they to scared that an free software comunity would ruin their monopoly. And dont tell me that Android its a free distro becasue its not, without drivers you will do shit.

Arm machines for micro services are the future

Uh-huh...
cavium.com/ThunderX_ARM_Processors.html

anandtech.com/show/10353/investigating-cavium-thunderx-48-arm-cores

b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5460#ov

b2b.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5423#ov

Probably not unless you are a workstation.

>Also if you think that my argument is shit, try to install a none Android Os into your phone, I save you the pain on trying, You cant

this has everything to do with SoC design and nothing to do with the instruction set itself

Scaleway C1 server
imgur.com/a/rBP2W#0

Probably in a decade at earliest and that is if better computer technology doesn't come out.

Problem is a new OS would likely have to be made from the grounds up to use the hardware to it's full potential and so far there are no open source operating systems which can readily support new hardware releases.

Also:
>another user already pointed out android is not as open sourced as claimed, Google keeps a lot of the code secret or if the code is visible then there are no developer notes to explain the function for a given piece of code.
>As another user pointed out there are socketed ARM CPUs, but are only for use for servers which would be proprietary technology for the most part as a standard desktop hardware standard hasn't been set for ARM yet.

Put simply while a decade is the earliest even this is very unlikely with known information in the present and the most obvious point is that the hardware is not compatible with long developed operating systems.

>desktop processor market

What is the point of smartphone-level power consumption on a desktop computer, a device that gets its power exclusively from the mains?

fuck ARM I want POWER

It's dead, Jim.

When they can make CISC processors with instructions like MMX or 3DNow!

I'm surprised that a large chip maker hasn't made hardware cross compatible between the two architectures already. Imagine buying any random AMD board and having the choice of high power X86_64 processor or some massive 32-64 core clusterfuck ARM processor.

When there's some form of hardware detection and a standardized ABI

there wont be any profitable desktop market my friend

It already has with Chromebooks. RISC-V is a far superior architecture anyways. We should be pushing for that, not ARM.

>Also if you think that my argument is shit, try to install a none Android Os into your phone
>You cant
Are you retarded or something? There are plenty of alternatives like Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Mobile, and even Sailfish OS (pic related). Don't open your little shit crusted mouth when you have no idea what you're talking about.

It wouldn't be useful, but desktop basically refers to anything that isn't a phone/tablet that runs a full OS. The desktop market includes laptops and a few tablets here and there. A laptop with an ARM chip is great because you get better battery life.

Now that it's been purchased by SoftBank, it probably will never happen.

Probably the end of 2017 desu. With all this excitement around Pine64, Raspberry Pi, Orange Pi, Odroid, Rockchip, Allwinner and a bunch of cheap Chinese ARM tablets and laptops it's only a matter of time for the mainstream poser nerds to catch on. Once that happens, desktop ARM will become a reality with pre-installed Ubuntu or Steam OS.

Question for the Linux pros here, will ARM be able to run Linux desktops? I really want to run a minimal KDE install on ARM laptop. Current HP is a piece of shit with fan screaming all the time when I run Linux.

kickstarter.com/projects/1771382379/firefly-rk3399-six-core-64-bit-high-performance-pl/

>Firefox OS, Ubuntu Touch, Plasma Mobile, and even Sailfish OS (pic related)

sure bro go install them on your phone o wait you cant they all dead products none of them survived

a simple mobile phone will be the new 'desktop rig' in the future. Hook up your phone wirelessly to your monitor and that's it. We will see guts and battlestation thread using phones.

ARM is getting there, I feel. It's just a very popular processor for smaller units right now more than anything. Give it time and we might see laptops running on ARM architecture.

Unless this already exists and I'm retarded.

>Simpler Assembly
>Easier to write malware
Easier to crack software too I guess.

They're called Chromebooks

Some are ARM, some are Intel. And even then the ARM models aren't exactly up-to-par with the often-used Intel models that would be in the same price range if I'm not mistaken.

I feel like when ARM becomes more powerful and competitive that'll certainly change, but that's going to take time. But for now, it's sort of there as an architecture that exists that people can use.

Arm has NOREAD sections, expect drm to be even more draconian.

CISC considered harmful

Linux is open-source, and ARM is one of the main targets after x86, so yeah, a lot of distros can run on ARM without too much difficulty. It's not guaranteed that ALL distros will have an ARM version, but the kernel is the hardest thing to port, once that's done it shouldn't be too hard to build the userland for ARM.

>Question for the Linux pros here, will ARM be able to run Linux desktops? I really want to run a minimal KDE install on ARM laptop. Current HP is a piece of shit with fan screaming all the time when I run Linux.
Yes, I have had ubuntu with xforce on arm as a desktop for 3 years.

The biggest problem with ARM is the SoC companies, there's no standard way to boot most of them so a custom kernel must be developed. They aren't really opposed to it they are just ultra conservative when it comes to product development. Their logic is basically "there's no ARM PCs now so we won't bother being the first".

As soon as rockchip or amlogic have any success the others will rapidly follow.

There's also a few chips that might be suitable that people are unaware of. Marvell have a modular SoC on an interposer with A72 cores, 4 core versions are out now, supposedly it will scale to 32 core. NXP have quad and octa core A72 chips with pcie and everything but they aren't shipping yet.

The marvell one is the most interesting, unfortunately their business model is exceptionally stupid, they will not sell to small companies so I can't use kickstarter to get it started and none of the companies they sell to have any interest in small ARM PCs.

wow. another crappy chinese on steroid board with an undocumented chinese soc, might as well stick to the rpi

Hopefully never. ARM is cancer that makes Intel ME and amd PSP look like a joke.

About 30 years ago.