Seagate vs Western Digital

What do?

Other urls found in this thread:

techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Just don't buy 3 TB of anything with the word "Seagate" on it and you're fine with either.

Seagate bought Sandforce.

WD bought Sandisk.

You decide which is the better choice.

seagate: drives come from across the sea, from china, bad quality, cancerous chink bacteria etc.

western digital: good quality product from the western world, digital file format unlike analog seagate product, superior in every aspect

>what do?

Some god damn research

Read the fucking sticky

HGST - the youngest HGST drive that failed on me is 4 years. Meanwhile, my WD drives have failed within 2-3 years.

HGST > WD =~= Toshiba >> powergap >> Seagate

Neither.
HGST.

Had a WD that broke in a couple months. I haven't had my Seagate for very long but it's already performing better than WD

never Seagate

Why? I just bought a 3TB Seagate yesterday. Am i fucked?

I would buy HGST but I've always bought WD and have legit never have one fail, I still have a 320gb WD from before they gave them colors, still in my computer, still going strong.

Return it immediately.

It's green like the algae growing on all the dead Seagate hard drives in the dump. The swirl is to remind you of the money you just flushed down the toilet.

FRIENDS DONT LET FRIEND BUY SEAGATE

>Trusting backblaze
>Trusting a company who buys used and refurbished drives

>gray bars are through 2013. Colored bars are through 2014

2 year warranty dumbass.

What said, you made a horrible mistake if you bought the ST3000D(OO)M001 or anything else with Seagate on it with a 3 TB capacity. We're not fucking with you either.

The company sued seagate and won so you can suck a fat cock.

Seagate used to have that serial port on the drives, so you could talk directly to the drive firmware to run diagnostics, and try to recover from problems.

The down side, is they failed often enough that people needed to use that to recover data.

I say all drives suck; keep lots of backups, and run drives from different shipments and made on different days. Use raidz2 (or 3) and keep a hot spare in the pool.

wd also bought hgst

user JUST bought a 3TB hdd, do you mean he bought a 3yo hdd?
who is the retard between you and yourself?

Hitachi>HGST>Samsung>...>Seagate>...>WG

KEK

23 replies are in and nobody mentioned that only Toshiba is not a burger brand. Therefore only Toshiba can be NSA spyware free.

Based Japan.

Toshiba almost has it right with their SSDs. They produce their own NAND and now own LinkAMedia SSD controller tech. However, Toshiba doesn't produce DRAM, so there's a weak point.

How reliable are toshiba HDDs? I found one in my price range, but have no experience with them.

You buy the cheapest because your data availability relies on RAID and backups.

Get SSD
It's 2017

It's 2017
SSD still cannot be used as mass storage. (not a money issue, data retention is litterally non existant)

HGST

What? I don't understand.

Wouldn't an SSD be MUCH better at storage and all that than a HDD?

SSDs lose data over time when left unpowered, some in as little time as a week.

you mean don't buy anything "seagate" unless your poor

Seagate for portable. WD for internal. That's what I'm running.

3TB Toshiba HDDs decent? One of the cheapest $/GB options here in Australia.

I bought a 2TB one about 5 years ago and it still works fine

They got HGST's 3.5" plant so their drives are pretty good

OP if you really care about your data buy more than one drive, at different times, each from a different batch.

Hope you don't move around a lot of data.
techreport.com/review/27909/the-ssd-endurance-experiment-theyre-all-dead
That silent failure is quite a deal breaker compared to most HDDs except head crashes. And the additional money gets you backups.

Western Digitals are made in Thailand and Malaysia

>seagate for portable
NO

I've got a 7 year old 1TB external drive from WD and it still works.