/hpg/ headphone general

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PxoBybRCTATA1
deskgram.com/aazptvbby_lq
seeko.co.kr/zboard4/data/m_device/seeko_nw_zx2.png
en.rutracker.org/forum/index.php
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Where my HD800 boys at?

HD25 is the only headphone you need and anything else is retarded.

Well yeah basically

>buyers remorse

>tfw headphones are in the mail

ah. hi-fi. the meme that keeps on memeing, since the radio was invented.

placebo general?

Eiaosi x6 best budget earphones?

Yes.
Yes it is.

Continued from
Trying to get redpilled on practical FLAC uses and objective, provable improvements compared to V0 or 320. No meme buzzwords like soundstage, depth, width or whatever. I figured the best thing to do is take an ABX test.
Isn't the standard like 20+ tests before result?

i got the hd900 or whatever the brown and khaki ones were. at first I disliked them but after a few hours of burn in the sound stage and bass really came through

Who masterrace here? Sennshillfs BTFO.

hello nigger!

nigger detected

Just got VE MONKs. I am surprised AF. They probably sound better than most of the headphones I ever had.

Only niggers use those dude.

>actually audible bass instead of mud in a paper bucket (snapheiser's sound signature lmao)
>hurr nigger!

It's ok pal maybe one day you'll be able to afford a pain of Sennheisers, until then your nigger headphones will sound fine I guess.

Give them back jamal
Kendrick is looking for them

Mudheiser HD600 are cheaper than X2 here actually and HD650 cost the same.

Snapshills BTFO once again.

>headphones don't belong in the headphone thread

Stop shilling this piece of shit every damn thread. I got tricked into buying one and all I got was unmatched drivers because shit quality control issues, bloated non-punchy bass, vocals that sound like they're from a hallway, no highs, uncomfortable until you have to take them off because your head is hurting. If you're in that price range, buy the HD600 or 400i.

Just returned my pair yesterday, most disappointing purchase I've made in a long time. I will never buy a headphone from Phillips again.

You sure you didn't buy a dud or plug them into your own asshole or something? What you're describing is literaly the contrary of how mine behave.

if x2's bass is too weak for you, you need to strap subwoofers to your head or stop buying fakes

My pair was directly from Amazon themselves, it's a legit pair. They were uncomfortable as fuck because they're heavy even after stretching them out.

I didn't say the bass was weak, I'm saying it's uncontrolled, loose, and sloppy like a roastie vagina. There's no detail and texture in the highs, combined with the bloated bass made rock music unexciting. The only thing I'll give them credit for is the imaging, and maybe I would've been immersed if my ears weren't begging me for mercy after half an hour.

These are open headphones for basketball Americans, I'm sure you two love listening to BLACKED with your niggabass headphone, the wide soundstage must really feel like your getting cucked right there!

It really sounds like you plugged them into your own asshole, the bass is tight and punchy, you also mentioned channel unbalance so you got a fucked up pair, into the trash goes your opinion.
Also they're some of the most comfortable headphones out there after the Audio Technica's wing band memes. Are you really complaining about clamp force? Cause the HD600 you mentioned are fucking vice grips in comparison. Heavy? What are you, a starved asian teenager?

Maybe you got a defective X2/00 instead of the real deal, X2/27.

They're exactly the same, just different packaging for different regions.

its like saying scraps belong on a cooking forum. its garbage and has no place

Maybe I should've worded it more clearly.

Some X2/00 batches had defects.

Both of them had, they're all made in the same factories by the same people, the number only refers to the package itself.

I bought this and I was wondering if I should buy this as well
FiiO E10K USB DAC and Headphone Amplifier (Black) amazon.com/dp/B00LP3AMC2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_PxoBybRCTATA1

I mostly use it for YouTube music like Vaporwave or Touhou music, Eurobeat and or power metal. Is it true that YouTube compress the audio, I also downloaded Music bee since I am always constantly alt tabbing between games and YouTube playlist

And I replied
>Yes but this is sample, encoder and bitrate dependent.
You can create sounds where almost any lossy encoder fails audibly, regardless of settings, encoder or bitrate used. You can even find problem samples to download and listen from LAME's website the last time I checked.

In practical uses(music for example), the audible issues are very rare and it's quite safe to say that mp3 V0 with a modern encoder and with MOST audio samples you throw at it is transparent. To test this, you have to do an ABX test. Luckily, codec ABX testing is a piece of cake to set up and do with some nice handy software(such as Foobar2000 with the ABX comparator). Use 20 trials if you want some level of statistical relevancy.

320 is worse than V0, despite the lower average bitrate. If you want to effectively do lossy compression, variable bitrate is the only way to go. The complexity of the content encoded changes with time and so should the bitrate to accomodate for this. A good lossy encode is transparent and saves space. That's the purpose of these high quality modern codecs, save space without sacrificing perceived quality.

>FiiO E10K
Yeah, it has an impedance output of

first pair of headphones
hd 559, ath m50x or ath m40x
is spending more for the first 2 worth it compared to the m40x?
mostly movies some music(anime,mainstream shit) maybe gaming if theyre comfortable enough
choose between them dont suggest others

DT770

>choose between them dont suggest others
you're an idiot

Fuck off Lithu

Nice underage pic

Reported

deskgram.com/aazptvbby_lq

im an idiot for being born in albania? gee boss I said that so i didnt waste time explaining but since you and this guy are dense guess ill explain
i pay shipping + 23% tax if i buy online
i found those 3 on a physical store on sale which is the same price as on the internet
either choose or shut your whore of a mouth

Ah sweet! And do you know any website to rip audio from YouTube? People say FlAC is better than mp3 so I figured oh if I download Music Bee or whatever music player is better, I would hear more better, although I'm no audiophile, I just like crystal and loud detailed music.

>Ah sweet! And do you know any website to rip audio from YouTube?
Don't do that, just torrent the shit, weeb music is easy enough to find and autists usually rip it themselves so it comes in FLAC.

are you still the same guy from albania?

no u :^)

>im an idiot for being born in albania?
yes

Is Bitlord a good site for torrent? I have it installed on my desktop, I'll do thst, usually my music I listen to are Vaporwave mix so surely it'll be there. Yeah mostly like Eurobeat Touhou, Touhou metal, I'm trying to expand my taste in weeb metal music, any suggestions?

I bought the Sennheiser HD598CS during black friday and I really like the sound, it's very balanced with detailed and crisp treble and punchy bass, just how I like it. Unfortunately I have some problems with them, not sure why but when I use them for more than like 15 minutes I get major ear fatigue and my ears stay clogged for a very long time, I have to swallow to unclog them. If I keep it up and use them an entire day, after a while I just don't hear properly anymore and then I have the issue of clogged ears for DAYS on end as a result.

What the fuck am I doing wrong? At first I thought it was that I kept the volume too high, so now I listen to very low volume, unenjoyably low even, and it still happens. On the other hand if I use my usual chinese earbuds like the VE Monk or the expensive Shozy Cygnus I don't have the issue, I can keep the earbuds even 10 hours straight at moderately high volumes and no issues whatsoever.

>Africa so dumb they get grey
noice

Is it worth getting a "better" DAC for the HD600 than my e10k? Or will it not really be much of a difference? I was just going to get an HD600 and Magni 2 and just use the e10k as a DAC, hoping I wouldn't have to spend anything extra than that.

I don't know if people on reddit and head-fi are just selling snake oil and trying to justify their expensive purchases, or if there actually is a big difference. Because they claim to hear a difference in everything down to headphone cables, like how the HD600 is a bad "pairing" with the O2/ODAC, whatever that means.

no

>tfw headphones arrive
>tfw you listen to them for the first time
>tfw you aren't really sure if you like them or not
>Everything sounds wrong

This is a mixed kind of feel

Do you guys also get a feeling that you made a bad purchase at first? It has happened to me every time I buy a pair of headphones that doesn't have a super bassy signature to hide the flaws, but then I get used to it and find that they are actually kinda good.

what headphones did you get?

This is why you don't hire drawfags (architects) to do your house.

Hi Sup Forumsurus, remind me, why bad headphones can't be fixed with equalizer settings? It is all about frequency response isn't it?

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7

The sound is very clear and crisp, maybe even too so. I'll find out more after further testing.

Buy expensive headphones in person at a reputable professional audio equipment store (where performers and techs go get their stuff).

Regardless if the brand has great reputation and the reviews are outstanding, try them out and try a few others in the same go to get a better hands on idea about whats going on with the sound.

bump

because you don't know how to use a PEQ

what do you want to test?

This always happens. You need to use those for a few days and nothing else. If after a week or so you go back to your older headphones and still like them better, return the new pair. If your older headphones sound like shit in comparison, keep them.

>why bad headphones can't be fixed with equalizer settings?
Many can, many can't. That graphic equalizer isn't the tool for it, that's for sure.

>It is all about frequency response isn't it?
Almost and if you don't get that part right, you might as well not bother with the rest. There are cases where distortion can be audible, cases where headphone response isn't consistent even on one individual(think of AKG K550), cases where headphones have a limited bandwidth(earbuds) and so on. These are problems which can't be equalized out. There are also situations where you do not have a high quality equalizer at hand or you might not have a clue on how to use it effectively to fix the issues with the headphone at hand. Headphone quality can mean more things than the audio too such as comfort or build quality.

>ZX2
seeko.co.kr/zboard4/data/m_device/seeko_nw_zx2.png

My phone is better.

Very common if you are used to a headphone with very different sound prior to that. Use them for a while and then get yourself comfortable with an equalizer if there are problems with the response.

>is it worth it
Stop.
>Or will it not really be much of a difference?
Certainly not. I'm taking a guess and saying that unless one of these devices is broken, your FiiO or the one you "upgrade" to, there should not be any difference in sound. You don't pair these equipment.

r/headphones and especially Head-Fi has a hate boner for the O2.

Keep masters of everything in FLAC so you can encode to other smaller formats without extra loss

The Fidelio X2 are currently 110usd over here.

I have a pair or broken Denon AH D-2000.

The things I hear about the X2 seems so weird for being form philips and being so cheap.

I am in need of new headphones. But I don't want to take a step back from the D2000.

Should I bite the bullet?

Because they break in half after a few months.

I'm no expert but I'll make a few educated guesses based on my EE knowledge:
A peak at a frequency can be caused by a harmonic of a lower frequency due to poor design and adjusting the problematic frequency will further ruin the performance.
Also something might resonate at certain frequency due to poor design, adjusting will improve nothing or further ruin the performance.
It is very unlikely the channel resolution and channel position of the eq will match the bad spots well enough and adjusting anything will make everything super wonky.

swede?
I looked into the store and it seems pretty shit, heard reports of them being a horror if you have to deal with warranty or some shit

I'd buy a few pairs, sell them on ebay or whatever for 50$ more, since even second hand they sell for 180-200

and then buy a decent pair for a better store

Whats broken, want to sell?

bad headphones < bad headphones equalized to be more like god headphones < good headphones

EQ isn't something you shouldn't do, but it's something you shouldn't plan on doing.

Yeah, elgiganten.

The reviews I've read have them priced around 300usd.
So I'm not sure what to think of it.

Nah I'll keep them for building some weird custom strap for my Vive.

>explain
Sounds are better heard through bones or other solid entities.

I'm testing through music and trying to see if I notice anything lacking. So far all I seem to notice is that
Spotify playback is horrible to listen to
FLAC/Good quality audio files are very pleasant, if maybe a bit too crisp
Explosions in video games are pathetic with 0 bass

Yeah, I remember this happening with pretty much every pair of headphones I've bought in some capacity.
I need to either do my own EQ setup or try and find a nicely balanced one from somewhere to fix the issue with the bass.

Basically the biggest problem (which is something I noticed reviewers having issues with as well) is that the sound is too clear, which highlights faults in recordings and bad quality audio files. There isn't a whole lot of bass, but there is enough as long as the source is good.

Headphone purchase advice
Budget: around 100$
Source: Laptop
Type: Closed
Comfort level: w/e
Past headphones: None

Well, getting the x2 for 110 is an amazing deal, lets start by saying that straight out
if you want a bassy pair of headphones, X2 are a great option

but like I said, it seems too good to be true, so either a) they're second hand, and badly so, b) they have manufacturing defects, aka defects. If so, most likely pretty bad ones. c) they're fake, but I doubt this since it's a pretty big store. Though I think I saw some reports of them selling fake beats, but it's hard to tell because they seem to be deleted archives

if you can, check and test them out in the store, if it seems good, definitely get some.
if you can't, it's pretty risky because they shouldn't be selling these so cheap for no reason, as I imagine if everything is in order with them they're selling them at a large loss, not just a loss of profit, but a netto loss in total

preferred music or will it be mainly for gaming/movies?

7/10 music 3/10 gaming

It's a well known store here in Sweden, so they shouldn't be fucking the customers over.

The thing is that I've been looking at much higher budget headphones, around the 800usd range.

But I don't mind a good deal either until I get something higher end, giving these to a family member.

preferred music?

They alreayd have a bad reputation score in those review sites and people have stated their problems returning broken items still under warranty and such, which is why I would be cautious.

There most likely is something wrong with it somewhere, but if there isn't, it's an absolutely amazing deal

Get some of the beyers for punchy bass and good highs if you don't mind recessed mids.

When I put on black lotus I instantly understood that X2 are not for me. Also , it's not that hard to torrent it here en.rutracker.org/forum/index.php

i listen to alot of different stuff so i guess balanced headphones? but if i had to choose i'd say i listen to different types of rock
i'm thinking about the AD700X

>Full open-air type headphones

I don't know of any good neutral closed headphones in that budget tho, rippo

maybe /csg/ knows some?

>Spotify playback is horrible to listen to
Has nothing to do with the audio quality. 320kbps average bitrate on Vorbis is amazing and quite easily transparent on any musical content I could think of. Your mind playing trickery or the version on Spotify is not the same as the one you have on whatever other codec on your PC.

Can anyone experienced give me any opinion on my claims, I'm rather curious.

The reviews I'm seeing only praise them.

I'll give them a listen in few days when I can.

Trying to find scandinavian sellers of the hifiman he-500.

I had some kind of issue with all new headpones. The only headphones that WOW-ed me at first listen were the Sony MDR 1A, and the VE Monk.

The Sony just has a very musical, deep and warm sound that is just adorable to me, while the VE Monk mostly amazed me because they cost just 5 bucks.

Some headphones just always sounded like shit to me, such as the open HD598 or the ATH M50.

am i going to need amplifiers if i ever get some 100$ headphones? i've read about amplifiers but i still don't get when they're necessary

They're necessary when you don't get enough volume from your source. If you connect your headphones and max out the volume and it's still low, then you need an amplifier.

Any thoughts on the AD700X ?

Oppo HA 2 + Hifiman HE-400i?

I'm hovering around the HE-400/500 line.

Well, the thing that Spotify doesn't tell you is that the source files may be absolute dogshit, so even if it is technically streaming in 320kbps, the source file might only be 128kbps or something along those lines. I was listening to some moderately obscure stuff so that might have been why.

Yeah, after listening to other songs the bass response is a lot better, and the sound overall is very high quality, but the game I played an hour ago or so was Rainbow Six : Siege, and the explosions in that were just terrible. I'll have to try some other games and see if it's just an issue with that particular game.

Let me sum it up for you nicely.

Most hifi components with a dedicated headphone out usually do the job.
Want to plug your fat-ass cans into a mp3 player/phone? Tough luck, get amp.
Try it out without first tho.

Golden ear faggot?
Always get amp. Because reasons.

"it depends"
most ~100$ headphones don't need an amp
Some people swear that their HD558/598 sounds better with an amp and that it's garbage without one.
K612 also needs an amp

it's not a bad purchase, especially since it'll most likely last you a lifetime

>300$ for an amp, portable one at that
get a mont blanc e12 unless if you're getting it for the fashion

why are you getting a portable amp for he400i anyway

I need to be portable for listening where I want in the house without plugging things into the wall.

The Ha 2 is fashion shit though?

I'd love a portable dac/amp suggestion if you got one for the 400i.

M40X

see hell, apparently you could get a DAP with a built in amp like the Alpen E17. Not sure how good it is but audiobot seems to say it'd do fine for the amp at least.
Since I imagine you'll be plugging it into a DAP anyway if you're planning to walk around the house with your headphones on, unless of course you're planning to use your phone

It'd be my phone and tablet for the portable use.

I know most headphones doesn't really need an amp. But my budget for a portable dac/amp is 200usd so if I can, why not? It'd be another amp I got to compare things with.

>But my budget for a portable dac/amp is 200usd
but the places I checked them they were 300 or more

also, why waste money, keep it for a rainy day, treat someone you like, spend it on something else or something

Hello everyone, I am looking at purchasing a new set of headphones but I don't know much about them.

>Budget
Around $100 but the cheaper the better
>Location
USA
>Source
Desktop computer for general use
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Doesn't matter
>Comfort level
High comfot, much more important to me than sound quality. I have a large head so this can be a bit of a hurdle

I'm currently looking at audio Technica ath-m30x, thoughts?

shit

what's your preferred type of music
Or will it mainly be used for gaming/movies

Mainly gaming, movies. I'm not an audiophile or anything so I don't need the highest imaginable sound quality

Cont: mainly what I want is a sturdy, comfortable, decent sounding pair of headphones

have a look around for HI2050 or clones thereof, such as ISK HF2010 or Omnitronic SHP-600

alternatively, save up a bit more and get DT770 80 ohms
They're very comfortable, very well built and have a good V shaped sound