/wt/ watch thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

>Required viewing for newbies:
youtu.be/508-rmdY4jQ

>Strap guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

massdrop.com/buy/seiko-presage-ssa30-automatic-watch?referer=GTPSLK
google.ca/amp/www.ablogtowatch.com/watchmaker-compares-omega-seamaster-timepieces-caliber-1120-2500-8500-movements/amp/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

first and last for cool clock

You should take it to the white house some time.

3rd for Railmaster

that looks nice!

Literally just wearing simple earthy tones or muted colors and the watch will work fine. You are overthinking the whole thing.

When I got mine I was very surprised with just how versatile it was. Especially strap wise. Even a black leather band works which I was not expecting.

Any opinion on Hamilton watches?

Good watches and are dependable.

Most of the field ones like your pic are kinda boring design wise though. Just my opinion though

>he doesn't even deskdive
>mfw

They have a couple alright models.
The brand nowadays is a bastardization of a once-good American brand by the Swatch group. They're trying to appeal to the american heritage and the swiss made meme at the same time, which doesn't quite sit right with me... But if you gave me a Khaki I'd happily wear it.

Swatch/10

I already have a lot of issues with Omega which is their best brand by fucking far, Hamilton isn't something I could recommend. Honestly in the "mid rangewETA shitter" field of watches I would save up a little and get an Oris Big Crown as my field watch.

So which of these two do you guys prefer?

>Omega which is their best brand by fucking far
You'd put Omega that far in front of Breguet, Jaquet Droz, Blancpain and Glasshute Original?

The only difference I see is the day. Is there anything else? Are the movements essentially the same?

Just the date looks cleaner.

>bond strap on an alpinist

Just no. Faggotry aside, he's really right: brown leather and steel, nothing else suits this watch.

I don't see the big deal. Works well with the colors.

I do mostly wear it on the bracelet though.

>tfw too intelligent to spend over $350 on a watch
>tfw too intelligent for diminishing returns
>tfw too intelligent to spend hundreds on temporary thrills when it could be saved and put towards investments instead
>tfw plebs would rather put thousands into a toy than in a CD
>tfw the night manager at denny's buys a fancy watch and bows down to a district supervisor who sports a seiko 5

>I already have a lot of issues with Omega
pls elaborate m8

>shameless delusion

brown leather or nothing, it has a green face you silly willy

To me, the Hamilton Khaki field is a thing of pure beauty. But its simplicity could bore some people, I understand.

After all, I hate the simplicity of Daniel Wellington minimalist fag watches

Yes because in it's price bracket it's a decent option IMO, at least the MOTFM and (sort of) the Seamaster.

Breguet competes in the same field as Patek and VC and honestly you would have to be a fucking idiot to choose a Breguet over a Vacheron Constantin or Patek of comparable price.

Blancpain watches are nice but good lord are they fucking boring. I would go with a JLC for a dress watch in that price range.

I don't pay any attention to Jaquet Literally Who or Glasshute Original so I don't have any opinion on them.

To note I'm not exactly a huge fan of Omega, it's just that out of the Swatch group I think they're one of their least terrible lineups. Even with Omega I would rather buy a Breitling of similar price.

Practice before theory. Live a little.

CDs are a joke with these low interest rates.

nobody listens to music on cds anymore gramps

Probably another color/pattern in the nato would look better with the alpinist.

Some are good, some are bad, depending on the model an price.

You what, bitch?
>pic related

Day/Date m8.

Just remember m8: it's all relative. Breguet has a few models that have virtually no comparition among the other top brands, or that have a particular detail that makes them more appealable. Also, the constantly better and more complex guilloches I've ever seen come from them.

Nice

meh
>1/0

avocado pls buy me this clock its the most genius thing ive seen in a long time

>sold for $150k in 2008
How is it genius?

it displays time, height of sun, month and day/night in such a simplistic way its amazing. and it was made in 1685.

I think people overestimate the "presence" of the green dial.

In the metal, that dial is pretty darn small, so even if there's a lot of light, the green is very manageable.

In darker locations, even more so.

I have this watch and it still impresses me after all these years.

It's a pretty small watch though, by modern standards.

to elaborate,
the hour hand is actually a rotating disk with a little sun on it that moves up and down twice over the course of a year. this sun also acts as a day/night indicator that keep the equation of time in mind. its simply amazing desu

pretty cool indeed

What's your wrist size?

Got a side shot of that watch on your wrist to show its height?

Opinions?

what's the deal with Omega?

i want to buy a Seamaster and i've seen a lot of comments on /wt/ about the quality of new Omega watches being less than desirable.
can anyone comment on this??

I think they source a shitload of their parts from China.

looks pretty good, but it must be quite big seeing where the subdials are
>40,5mm
eh not that bad

Very nice, clean watch.

Only thing I personally would prefer, is 22mm lug width instead of 20 mm.
But then I'm a pretty big guy.

so, do you think it would be better to purchase a pre-owned watch? something made prior to 1998?

>big guy
4u

>so, do you think it would be better to purchase a pre-owned watch? something made prior to 1998?

Yes, buying new is for suckers. What watch specifically do you want?

pre ownded is always better

We're still posting that thing?

>What watch specifically do you want?
i'm not exactly sure, but i like pic-related
i'm not sure if i really need the date on the watch though
any suggestions for good online retailers?

Are you an extremely sexy and cute 16yo girl?

I'm not sure about numbers, but I have thick arms. I can even wear a 50mm.
Next time I'll take a side pic.

Most people here are exagerating. Yes, their finishing or quality is not as detailed or precise like other brands, but neither their prices are that high.
Imho Omega is an all around quite good branc; worthy of your money.

shitload=/=some

Not bad.

There are always some exceptions.

Pretty crisp.

>blancpain
>boring
You're having a fookin giggle m8

Forgot pic
That fuckin date dial

i can see how that would appeal to some people and i think there are people who could wear it with confidence, but considering it's being posted here i have to say that it just screams FEDORA to me

what kind of moon runes bullshit is that get it away

Valentijn ?

J-ja?

>getting recognized on Sup Forums
oh boy

I'm the dude that sold you the watch. Hope you like it!

I was joking.

I am not really he.

I was just hoping to scare a fellow Dutch/Flemish speaker.

>2017
>buying overpriced mechanical watches

>not owning an atomic watch

Atomic doesn't really do much, as evidenced by his very image.

How do you feel about TV shaped dials? Considering picking up an ultronic just like this.

kind of kitsch

thoughts on this?
massdrop.com/buy/seiko-presage-ssa30-automatic-watch?referer=GTPSLK

Go for it.

really bad website - what are we looking at?

Been looking at speedsonics too. But the 43mm diameter deters me. In a perfect world I could get a tuning fork movement in the same case as the MOTM speedy.

It should be well made and the movement is pretty good.
The case is too big for my tastes given the style, and both the central PR and subdial date aren't what I would want.

The speedmaster does look better I think. The Longines' design is interesting and catches the attention, but it's not a classically beautiful watch. It's absolutely not awful though.

Also, I'm not sure it would work on a leather strap (if it can even accomodate it? no idea if it's an integrated bracelet or hidden lugs). So it's something to consider.

But I'm assuming you're mostly buying it for the movement, and a kind of kitsch style is actually a good fit for that cool, but ultimately outdated technology.

Yea, it has hidden lugs.

Are you a 16y/o girl
Yes. I am also incredible gullible hihi ;)

Honestly, I don't know how you CNA defend Omega outside of the MOTFM:

1) Omega's implementation of a co-axial escapement is a white elephant, meaningfully worse than a stock ETA 2892-A2.

2) The dial, hand, case and bracelet finishing is appalling for the price. Up close and personal a $4000 Aqua Terra has noticeably worse dial/hand/case/bracelet quality than a $600 Seiko Brightz (no, I'm not kidding or memeing here).

3) They spend a grotesque amount on marketing to normies instead of investing in increasing their manufacturing quality.

4) Far too much of their line-up retains an ugly mall watch aesthetic

5) There continue to be persistent rumors that they China source to the maximum legally allowable under Swiss law.

Thanks, buds. Such an easy construction. I'm going to do another with complete stitching.

> Omega's implementation of a co-axial escapement is a white elephant, meaningfully worse than a stock ETA 2892-A2.

delet this. co axials dont require lubrication and wont lose accuracy over time.

>co axials dont require lubrication
doesn't omega use lubrication in theirs? I remember reading that they use just a tiny amount of oil, and anything more will fuck it up (and anything less will fuck it up over time)

Co-Ax movements require surgical amounts of lube, the advantage of them being that they theoretically lose less time over a longer period of time due to the action. And built properly they do, but Omega tend to just convert their current movements to Co-Ax, which kinda defeats the object of them.

>CNA
what mean?

he meant to type can but his autism rage took over his body for a second

thank for clarify!

WASTED

Day/date looks best to me.

Here, feel free to read an informed non-Swatch marketing department opinion on the subject:

google.ca/amp/www.ablogtowatch.com/watchmaker-compares-omega-seamaster-timepieces-caliber-1120-2500-8500-movements/amp/

Omega's implementation of the co-axial escapement is a complete meme because it doesn't bring nearly enough tangible benefit in terms of accuracy over an ETA 2892-A2 (one of the most inherently accurate series produced movements of all time) to be worth the massive amount of additional labor and servicing risk introduced.

Much like everything else Omega does, its purpose is to pleb-catch the uninformed via marketing rather than to offer any real engineering benefit.

Keep making nice looking straps like that and I might start buying off you instead of Bulang or ColaReb.

What bracelet is that? Did you just modify the OEM SARB one?

which model is the rolex next to the psycho ?

Some zenith chronograph

hey are you the watchbro who made the ray skin band?

Why do you think the Bulova Moon Watch is worse than a Speedmaster?
>same quality
>same historical relevance
>american, not swiss
>Omega doesn't use the same movement either their speedys
>size is only 1.5mm bigger than original
>actually way better of an space watch since it only throws off by 10 seconds a year!
>and it measures 1/10 of a second, but could possibly up to 1/1000th if they wanted to
>technically more resistant design (better pushers) since it didn't break like the omega

Also:
>less than 500$

>quartz
and that's why it will always be worse

hey thanks for the link - i don't have time to read it while i'm at work today
i'm the watch pleb who wants to buy an Omega, so it looks relevant to my interests

Poor reason, it is technically a superior watch, please move along mechanical fag. Enjoy your magnets and paying out of the ass for worse performance.

>American made suddenly being a buying point
Mm Hm.

If they actually recreated the original movement of the moonwatch, I'd have picked one up already. That, the size, and the subdial arrangement puts me off it though.

i want a furry band

Opinions on smartwatches?
Thinking about getting a Moto 360 but I might update my phone soon and I might get an iPhone (and then later maybe an Apple Watch). What do you guys think?

Also no omega will ever sell for over 1 million dollars kek

They could have easily done it with the 7750, but there's no point. I like that this is an actual watch I would take to space if I went there since it is way more precise than a manual one and it's design is up to nasa spec and proven to work.

go ask some /fa/gs

it just doesn't look as nice.
but knock yourself out m8. buy whatever you like and why would you care what some random chantard thinks anyway?
who's the real sperglord here?

[spoiler]you[/spoiler]

I plan to buy some horween and make a couple nice ones.

I am, buddy.