codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
[Gist] backendDevelopmentBookmarks.md

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/
the-kinematograph.rhcloud.com/
om-verysimplyms.rhcloud.com/
github.com/verysimplyms/om
codepen.io/webdevhehehe/pen/ZLYbYP
stackoverflow.com/a/38002853
help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingUseOfApacheHtaccessFiles
stackoverflow.com/questions/37808180/disable-viewport-zooming-ios-10-safari
stsci.edu/~idash/pub/dashevsky0607rcsgso.pdf
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

JavaScript is a meme lol great pic OP

I have a phone call about a position soon.

I don't even know how to prepare.

A phone call interview will probably be pretty simple.

You should start preparing for the whiteboard interview, though.

>whiteboard interview for web dev

do they really do this? thought that was only for software engineer positions.

I'm very ready for a whiteboard.

This company has 11 employees though. If they whiteboard me I will be disappointed.

They do. I hear they don't even let you use stackoverflow for help.

>do they really do this?

css-tricks.com/tales-of-a-non-unicorn-a-story-about-the-trouble-with-job-titles-and-descriptions/

"Tell me a little about yourself?"

Oh god. I forgot about this question.

its the easiest one you idiot

Literally "Brag about all your accomplishments"

Well, the call is in 8 minutes.

I think I have supplied my pockets with an adequate amount of spaghetti.

Since this is pretty much the best place for this, without much shitposting, I'd just like to ask for a quick feedback of this layout (and a design in general). It's almost impossible to get any.

>the-kinematograph.rhcloud.com/

I can't tell if the header should have more info or not. Ignore a few bugs.

P.S. - I bet some anons have already seen this, since I posted it before. Just want to mention that people don't use the sidebar at all if it is hidden on default. I'll just put a hide button on top and make it work like YouTube's, I guess. Otherwise, it's more or less finished.

>the-kinematograph.rhcloud.com/
Comments section in a side-bar is kinda dumb. Not wide enough to have lots of information in it. Otherwise I think it's pretty well-made site.

Since we're shilling sites: om-verysimplyms.rhcloud.com/

Only works in latest versions of chrome and firefox

Oh, it just lists latest comments there, like, their excerpts. I could change the length of an excerpt and add more info, though. Thanks!

From what I can see from yours, it looks pretty nice, colors are sweet. Don't have a webcam or mic so I guess I can't test a functionality, though.

The site should, ideally, work fine without mic + webcam. You can deny it and it should work without issue, similar to omegle's text-only chat.

Nobody is ever on my site though, so you probably still wouldn't be able to test functionality :^)

vue 1 or vue 2?

they ask you to write the names of some frameworks on the board lol

How do you do the webcam stuff?

I know how to use HTML5 to get video, but not send it to others. Flash server?

>Welcome to om, A flash-free, peer-to-peer, encrypted (both with SSL as well as PGP), FLOSS alternative to Omegle/Chatroulette/etc.

>Flash-free

Flash is deprecated.

Source code: github.com/verysimplyms/om

Phone call is 16 minutes late.

:(

You're fucked. They're incompetent.

Good. I am too. We should get along fine.

>tfw no call

Maybe they found someone already.

Only 3 people had applied when I applied and now 22 have.

I wonder how many of them are from India. I DO GOOD PRICE 3 DOLLAR HOUR TO ME THANK YOU COME AGAIN.

Anyone have a good guide to building a site or blog specifically to monetize through advertising.

Call them instead. If they're as incompetent as I think they are, they probably literally forgot.

No listed phone number.

I will just email about a reschedule.

Any company that does that is pretty shit.

I've a crap memory and can't remember syntax for shit. You ask them generic coding principle questions or give them programming exercises to do at home. No one works without being able to look shit up, especially in web development where You're working with 6+ languages together (plus god knows how many frameworks).

That said I tanked an interview once and I had no idea why. Was a fairly generic drupal job, interview was over and done with in under 10 minutes so I knew I'd done badly. Got a call from the agency, apparently the guy was really angry, said I'd wasted their time and knew nothing.

I couldn't remember them asking me a single technical question, they had no fucking idea what my ability level was. Only thing I could think of was that I must have mispronounced a framework or just mixed up a word at some point. Didn't care too much though, ultra shitty commute to the middle of nowhere, everyone seemed up themselves and half their building was currently flooded.

You're going to be asked standard HR shit. They're going to ask you your pay rate. You might be asked some technical stuff the HR person won't know about but she'll write down your response to give the actual department. So brushing up on terminology won't hurt.

Good luck.

Should I use w3school or codeacademy to learn html? I have been using w3school for the past while and just found out it might not be a good site but I haven't had any problems with it

Does anyone know which tutorial site is the best for web dev? I'd like to get a subscription to one as a supplement for learning some of this stuff. I'm at a pretty basic level skillwise. I had access to a Lynda account when I was in school, it seemed OK but I just want to know if there's anything better out there.

Pic unrelated

Since I'm really bad at linq this is my solution to parse an html document and return the content in the div block.
[
string textSnippet = String.Concat(String.Concat(reviewBlock.Split(new string[] { "" }, StringSplitOptions.None).Skip(1).ToArray()).Split(new string[] { "" }, StringSplitOptions.None).Take(1));
]

Please tell me there's a more succint approach to solve this problem.

When giving an inline-block div a padding it goes over the next div.

How do I avoid this?

Change the width and height of it to compensate for padding lad, margin,border,and padding all add to the length and width of a div. You may think padding wouldn't because it happens inside the div, but it does m80

I don't know C# but I do know there will be a better way of doing that.

There will be some DOM loader type function that'll load html as an object and let you more safely extract a particular element.

Never use text find type functions to traverse HTML, the edge cases are a nightmare, you're coding a HTML parser.

Use Regex.
Or Linq.

Give me the original text sample and what you want from it because I have a headache. I'll write you a school lesson.

I have multiple with one of these in each one of them:

Satisfied with it, pretty good.

It's the reviewBody content I want.
Tnx!

Why is the animation eating the other div? I can't z-index it out.

codepen.io/webdevhehehe/pen/ZLYbYP

Simultaneously fixed and broke it;

Kinda confused.

What's supposed to happen and what's actually happening?

What do you mean with eating the other div?
Can you provide a screenshot what it's doing and what it should be doing?
it looks fine on firefox.

You have two options. Navigate the DOM cleanly using .NET and LINQ, or just regex it out.
Looking at your earlier attempt, it seems like you don't particularly care for the DOM order of the elements, so it'll be a lot easier.

Sup Forums thinks my help-links are spam so for REAL google
"msdn csharp regex"
and
"regexr"

string pattern = @"(?:).*(?:)";
string textsnippet; //= ...

foreach( var match in Regex.Matches(input, pattern, RegexOptions.IgnoreCase) )
{
//...
}

Regex is a collection of escape characters and shortcuts for finding something in text.
Simply specifying " " will find that item in the text.
" (?: ) " will look for that, but not return it.
" .* " will match any number of any non-newline character.
" (?: ) " means that again, we're searching for this but don't return it.
I suggest you look into some readings next for Regex.
Keep in mind though, that Regex is not the PROPER solution to your problem here.
You may later want to only fetch instances of this that are inside another specific element or with more complex logic. Then you'll be looking at using C# and LINQ with DOM objects which will parse the text and present it as an XML tree for you to navigate.

I had display: inline-block; so the animation was moving within the parent div.

I set to float right to fix, but then had overflow. Turned off overflow and everything seems to be better.

reading an angular2 book right now

does it get good at any point?

angular1 syntax was pretty bad, but this is some new level of retardation

Thanks a million! Will use this in a lot of places!

still pretty new to JS to and web dev
any books to help me understand programming concepts in general? reading YDKJS currently

thats slow as fuck you clown stick to js

You can also change the min-width to a higher number (256 worked for me) and should get your ideal results that way as well.

Ok, take a look now.

The div that says "something" is ontop of the twitter icon div.

no

Regex is the fastest Generic solution to the problem that can be expressed in the fewest expressions. It's clean and not too confusing, leading to its widespread adoption. It may not be as fast as a forloop, but I would wager money that the poster would rather sacrifice a couple microseconds of performance ( in a compiled fast language! ) for a clean solution they can learn a new ability from than write for loops.
It's also eons faster than their previous solution of splitting a thousand arrays.
In either case, no, JavaScript would not be faster.

No problem. As mentioned it's a pretty popular thing present in most standard libraries. It's also something I've found that everyone 'knows of', but doesn't know how to use. You can get easy brownie points with a basic knowledge.

Bump for help plz

I don't know if anyone here will remember me from the previous thread a day or so ago. I had a stack that was from 2009/2010 written by C++ devs using JQuery to manipulate the dom. All HTML was span tags with ids, and used an internal library (the team who wrote it was fired) to create shit like buttons, textboxes etc.

4 files of 40,000 lines of jquery mixed with html strings.

First day back to work yesterday it was announced the web client would be put into legacy status and i would be leading the new direction and client.

Could not of gone any better and I didn't do a damn thing.

can anyone tell me why this doesn't work?

$queryPrevName = $dbh->prepare("SELECT * FROM ReplacementOrders WHERE [Replacement-#] < ? AND [Name] LIKE ? ORDER BY [Replacement-#] DESC LIMIT 1;");
$nameParam = array("$repNum", "%$searchText%");
$queryPrevName->execute($nameParam);
$prevName = $queryPrevName->fetch();

normally i would just bindValue() but i can't since i'm using a LIKE statement in SQL.

Picture is the most pure truth.

Don't use that sites, they are just a way to take money out of you.
My suggestion, learn the basics of:
A web framework and a language to use in the backend(python django/flask are good options);
Client side JavaScript framework(Angular, React);
HTML/CSS.

Think of something you like and implement it. It's the best way to learn anything.

Just enabled caching on my site(used a config from Stackoverflow). And now whenever you load the site for the first time(or after clearing cache/new incognito window), the banners div text and background image disappears?

Any idea what I fucked up?

you cant just expect to grab code from stackoverflow and make it

nevermind.

i discovered one of my variables was getting wiped out. I solved my issue by creating a

SESSION
E
S
S
I
O
N

i love php.

What am I supposed to do then? Can't see anything wrong with the config:
stackoverflow.com/a/38002853
Am I autistic and missed something, or does it look ok?

Only thing I did was removing the Flash Player attributes

i have no idea what language youre using or anything about your project. If stuff on your site isn't loading then you fun fucked something up big league

Just plain old HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Worked perfectly before.. It has to something with that config to do, works when I remove it. I just don't know what's wrong..

fek, im not sure when i want to end the SESSION. If i disconnect from the db does that end the SESSION automatically?

idk man i still need more info. Check this out

help.ubuntu.com/community/EnablingUseOfApacheHtaccessFiles

What more info do you need? There's personal info on the site, don't wanna dox myself. But I can try to provide as much as I can.

web assembly when

make sure the background image is in the same directory as your index.html and it wasn't renamed or anything like that. Try making a fresh whatever.htm page and try to get the image to show up there. Put it in same directory as index.html

...why would you want to web dev in assembly?

Ugh, I updated jQuery from 1.12.4 to 3.1.1 and apparently THAT broke the site's banner(and menu animation). Really weird, menu animations worked randomly and the banner only rendered after refresh.

Sorry to keep bothering, but do I download jQuery Migrate to check what's wrong then?

jQuery is so 2015

Thanks for the advice user. I was really wanting to get into Ruby/Rails but I've heard that it's been dying in demand for a while (at least that's what I hear), I've never seen a job listing that asked for Ruby yet.

I assume that just making various applications is the way to go?

Developed it in 2015, used a template(Yeah I know) and that heavily relied on jQuery. Had a look on their page and migrating shouldn't be too bad

>Thanks for the advice user. I was really wanting to get into Ruby/Rails but I've heard that it's been dying in demand for a while (at least that's what I hear), I've never seen a job listing that asked for Ruby yet.
I don't know anything about RoR.

>I assume that just making various applications is the way to go?
Yes.

>used a template(Yeah I know)

Nothing wrong with using templates imo, as long as it doesn't look too generic and you manage to customize it enough. Templates are great for people with no design skills.

whats the fastest database

So I made a webapp with buttons in it. Some of the buttons are pressed rapidly. So I need to disable zooming so that double taps don't zoom in on the button. So I do user-scalable=no and this works on android. I test on my gf's iPhone and it doesn't work. So I look it up and:

stackoverflow.com/questions/37808180/disable-viewport-zooming-ios-10-safari

>To improve accessibility on websites in Safari, users can now pinch-to-zoom even when a website sets user-scalable=no in the viewport.

Holy flying fuck apple why are you so terrible

lel I remember
you dodged a real bullet right there m8, good for you

Why is meteor js so popular on github? I've never seen it used anywhere.

Do I need to know CSS before learning JavaScript? I already know HTML. I mean I can always outsource web design or freelance it. I want to learn JavaScript, PHP, PYTHON, .NET, SQL, and JAVA. I want to start an SEO/Online Digital business later on.

no but you may end up using alot of css in your js depending on what you do. like if you are modifying the style of a div element you will be changing the css via js:
document.getElementById(some_id).style.cssProperty = abc;

if you are into web dev then you should probably be familiar with basic css

You really can't do HTML without CSS these days.
Just learn enough CSS to use a framework like Bootstrap and you won't have to worry about it again

I'm still amazed at how bad Webpack's documentation is given how popular the tool is

how much have you contributed to improving it?

RIOT.js has potential but the documentation is very short. Back to vue.js for now

>how bad Webpack's documentation is given how popular the tool is

it's a pajeet filter. we just need to maximize our wits learning it then everything will be easy. best to leave the documentation at that than getting the pajeets spoonfed

In order to obtain native speed by taking advantage of common hardware capabilities available on a wide range of platforms so that the App meme can die. Long live the Web App meme.

Javascript is a programming language. You can learn it without touching the DOM API.

no

I really enjoyed "Fuck Off: We're Full" and "Let's change the subject to Python and PHP"

My favorite is "Vanilla Javascript - jQuery Edition" by Stack O. Verflow

browserless internet integrated into the os when

u haven't heard of ActiveX before, Mr. Underage Millenial?

Imagine if you could just write a standalone application with internet connectivity that wasn't restricted to running in the browser as a web app. The possibilities would be amazing.

That's impossible, everyone knows that HTTP is the only Internet protocol and that only browsers can understand HTTP

Imagine if you could make a shirt where the fabric thickened or thinned depending on the temperature.

What if we gave the internet to Google and let them rebuild it better?

>2017 and HTTP still has only get and post

> Writing Device Drivers with Javascript
That's literally nothing.
James Webb Space Telescope is programmed with Javascript.
I wish I was kidding.
stsci.edu/~idash/pub/dashevsky0607rcsgso.pdf
> The JWST science operations will be driven by ASCII (instead of binary command blocks) on-board scripts, written in a customized version of JavaScript. The script interpreter is run by the flight software, which is written in C++. The flight software operates the spacecraft and the science instruments.
> The on-board scripts will autonomously construct and issue commands, as well as telemetry requests, in real-time to the flight software, to direct the Observatory Subsystems (e.g., Science Instruments, Attitude Control, etc.). The flight software will execute the command sent by the calling on-board script and return telemetry, which will be evaluated in real-time by that on-board script. The calling script will then send status information to a higher-level on-board script, which contains the logic to skip forward in the observing plan in response to certain events (see Section 4.1).

i do alot of hobby-level hardware work in js but that's kind of scary

how can I put loop into array data?

I have this
for (i = 0; i < 5; i++) {
var test = {
data: [i]
};
}

but I only get one value

var test = [];
// for loop
test[i] = {
data: i
};
// end for loop

it doesn't seem to be working, could it be because I have other arrays inside test except data?