Thoughts on IBM?

Thoughts on IBM?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

big company

watson is a phony PR stunt

What does IBM even do these days? I know they've basically left the consumer market entirely, but what do they make?
The reports of them promising thousands of jobs for Americans after trump got elected is the first time ive seen them in the news in years.

For you

also known as NSA

Too bad that place is some shitty hotel now.

Too slow on the curve, missed every major computing trend possible and has been gradually forced to cut down to what is essentially business consulting.

IBM = FAGS

A few months ago, I would have said that IBM is synonymous with mediocrity. But they do seem to be making contributions to deep learning, so I may have to revise my opinion.

I wanted to join IBM during my studies. I was in talks with them.

But they failed to modernise, and they sacked a whole lot of people right before I graduated. So I got a job at web development company.

> IBM
> I-1 B-1 M-1
> HAL

Botnet

that picture is kino as fuckkk

Best tech company. Not a botnet, not run by the NSA. More innovative than any of the shitty silicon valley companies (has filed the most parents of any company each year for 26 years).

*patents

Best company song.
Shitty place to work.

Mainframes.

RIP

Constantly buys back its own shares
Eponymous blue chip company
Bad place to work on the long run, stagnant
One of the biggest employers (averaged 500k employees, now 400k)
Investment vehicle backed by Buffet
Mainframe competition by Dell and HP
Great marketing icing, not much cake
Missed out on tech consultancy
Relies on historical inventions yet their greatest invention is the "IBMer", once an IBMer, always one
Great place to acquire work ethic values, in house training programs
Missed out on many other opportunities (MSFT)
Too big and traditional to be flexible enough in tech
Heavy corporate hierarchy
Watson Research Center is the only place where the magic happens
Shadow employs many emeritus scientists for prestige and legacy purposes

It's just an excellent investment vehicle disguised as a company which doesn't produce or deliver as much as the branding suggests.

Early big data adopter, yet always a follower.

One more:

Sold the Thinkpad to Lenovo (!)

Sacrilege.

nuffin

IBM = bae

damn

Tech patents != Innovation. It's one thing to come up with an idea and patent it, but it's a whole other thing to actually implement it. Note that you don't even need a working prototype to patent something (at least in the US).

Research/development for chips/ai/etc

They've transitioned to serve the interests of the corporates rather than consumers.

Where were you when IBM is kill?

>IBM
PAJEET KINDLY DO THE NEEDFUL IN JAVA AND REVERT

The hotel is across the street. It's now a shitty tapeworm restaurant inside an office building

I miss old IBM. I miss the idea of Big Blue, so big it can't fail. Sure, other companies were more innovative, but no one's ever been fired for picking IBM. They're truly a symbol of a bygone day, when tech products were built to last, Americans would work hard and get paid well, and our society had respect for one-another. Nowadays it's all tablets and chink-devices running programs coded in third world countries by people with no understanding of the English language.. but IBM was something different. Something better. IBM represented the greater America. IBM's name itself reflects this: International Business Machine, despite the company and it's ideals being overwhelmingly American. They represented American Exceptionalism, the idea that things should just work better, the idea that things are different because we can. They represented logic, critical thought, and a world where the average consumer deserves something that will last their lifetime, not something that would last a few years. I'm typing this now on an IBM keyboard from the 80's.. no one 20 years from now will be using some gamer chink trash from today in 20 years, but I'll still be happily using my IBM.

This

IBM is pretty ahead of the cognitive computing curve. I'm pretty sure they're pumping a shit ton of money into lower-level education so they can craft these kids to work for them. Bluemix and Red-node are pretty cool.
Wish they would pump out some personal products though

consulting

the small one is cute

IBM has remade itself as a software services company. Its workforce uses Macs and tries to look hip, but it's still extremely conservative and inflexible. Their main source of revenue is mainframe. They basically have a monopoly on that market and the demand for mainframes is constant, growing slowly. In fact, all the old mainframe developers are retiring now so there are lots of jobs working with z/OS.

It has always been like this. IBM guys were the closet homosexuals while other IT guys were real guys.

But they have really good docs for their products.

I've heard a lot about their horrendous hiring process where they bring people on to overstaff projects and then cut people randomly still leaving some over staffed and some understaffed. Constantly shifting between hiring and firing sprees with no idea what to do.

>IBM
Thomas J. Watson enabled the holocaust.

This, a massive amount of their revenue and profit comes from mainframes

Wtf I love IBM now

They always mainly served the interests of the corporates. Their very name says so.

a vast meme shilled to management types

I researched this for my presentation back in the day

10/10 IBM counting dead jews since 1941

But can that shit run MUH GAMZ???

They also provide outsourcing services. They have lots of Global Services Delivery Centres for that in Poland, Czech Republic and other countries where they can pay sys admin ~600$ per month.

Was a wonderful place to work during the '60s and '70s but went downhill with Unbundling.
During the '60s if a parent died you got a letter from the CEO of IBM.
By the late '80s even your manager didn't want to know.

They research pooing in the loo

>But can that shit run MUH GAMZ???
On Linux, yes.

Global Services have a very bad reputation for bungled projects and long overruns.
The Australian Census was taken on-line and suffered a series of DDOSs that had not been forseen by IBM-GS. Various state police forces will no longer use IBM-GS for infrastructure projects.

>MIT gets you nowhere

I knew that school was a meme

Manly tears were shed. (And I say that as a yuro) It came as no surprise to me they offered the government to develop the technology needed for obamacare for free. Because that's what they are.

My mother worked part time for IBM in central Florida back in the late 60s-early 70s. The company was doing a lot with the space program at the time. Whenever there was a major launch at the Cape, they would shutdown the office, and take everyone over to the Cape for parties and stuff on the beach to watch the launch, even hired nannies to take the everyone's kids to Disney for the day. Even the part timers.

IBM are basically running the world and have done so for decades. IBM have always shifted what they do.

Also, for some reason, they bought Ustream.

>, so big it can't fail.
IBM is still that.

Also we cannot forget their involvement in the Holocaust which they still deny.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IBM_and_the_Holocaust

wtf

How do I get a job at IBM?

Be Indian/Hindu.
Be willing to work for $16/hr

Heh

overrated, all pajeet'd out these days

Which tech company isn't full of pajeets nowadays?

... Siemens?

Our research department is all Germans anyway

thats my background image

i've been thinking of learning z/OS but I have no idea how, because I have no access to a mainframe. Is there a virtual machine for it?

>implying the holocaust happened and it wasn't just internment camps

Does IBM even still exist? The haven't been relevant since the 80s.

not relevant to plebs like you maybe, but I can guarantee you that every bank has at least one System Z mainframe, not to mention the hundreds of other industries such as air travel and retail

no it isn't

Openpower. Graphene chips.

Isn't as relevant as Apple.

>Thoughts on IBM?

They're one of the good guys. They're a big advocate of Linux, and have embraced it as fully as they feasibly can. They have zero fear of Linux, unlike a certain Redmond-based company.

Also, looking back at history, they did a very good thing by not fighting the rise of the IBM PC clones. They could have tried to sue companies like Compaq out of existence, but they were wise enough not to. That's why the PC won, and Apple didn't -- because Apple worked hard to try to prevent any competition, but IBM knew that it was ultimately more important to grow the whole ecosystem than to worry about their own short-term market share.

I worked at IBM for about a year and a half. It's just a massive company which these days mostly does business consulting.

If you ever get a chance to work there, don't. I got kind of unlucky because my direct manager was a MASSIVE cunt to me, always promising to hire on more people to ease my workload and never did shit. Made me do everything on the project and threw me under the bus when I couldn't deliver on his insane promises to our clients.

If you get a good manager it might be an okay experience, but there's a huge and unnecessary management hierarchy in place that complicates absolutely anything you want to get done. It's a goddamn mess.

IBM is Sup Forums's /theirguy/

i really want to work for them but i still dont really understand what they do anymore?

If anything, all it shows is that Google gives out easy jobs for the money you get from it.

they are plotting something user

Miccy Dees

So ill tell a little story that i just posted over here but this will be more detailed
IBM was the reason that i grew up in a wealthy household and the reason im into computers

>father was an mechanical/electrical engineer straight out of college
>year was 1981
>father was looking for a job with Ford, GM, ect
>couldn't find a job in the market
>his mother (my grandmother) died and left him with 4 siblings to raise
>one day got some mail from ibm looking for people to fill their engineer groups at their new plant in boca ratom fl
>so he applied for a job
>almost immediately got a phone call
>they wanted him to come it for an interview
>he gets the job
>He starts designing off cooling systems for computers and mainframes that use tape's
>fast forward 2 years
>one day he gets a message from his boss that has a new project for him
>its the iconic model m
the model m is literally in my blood (i mean he was apart of many teams across the globe but its still p cool)
>he gets put with a new team of people that their only job is to work on the model m
>every day he has to go through security clearance to get into and out of the design rooms
>at this point he is already making $175k+ p/year
>gets moved onto other projects
>gets landed in the R&D PC department
>works on thinkpads till he leaves when IBM Boca Raton gets closed down and moved to N Carolina in 97
>unfortunately ibm took all the patents (not that he had many personal)

Still proud of him till this day
it honestly makes me sad that i had no clue what was going on back then, what he did for the PC world was insane

unfortunately he passed away from mesothelioma last year, but he did have some great stories of all the IBM plants that he traveled and was at throughout his years, he even traveled with tim cook once

Holy fuck dude

they were never a consumer company

I don't get why this is such a big deal
It's not like this type of behavior is atypical of a megacorp

it's amazing just how many management horror stories come out of IBM
Someone could compile a book

I guess that's the price for being a huge old multinational in the middle of retransitioning into other sectors

I mean, besides sitting on IP and contributing to research that seems more of an investment advertisement with no actual substance IBM isn't doing much. Mainframes, consulting, small monopolized niches. I don't understand their vision of the future at this point. Are they really pumping genuine effort and money into research?

Thank you so much for including such an insightful and interesting story.

ill prove it