/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
>Consider substituting an i5 6500 for an i3 in any RX470/480 or GTX 1060 tier build
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Add a 240GB SSD to the "Great" tier build
logicalincrements.com/

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL (embed)

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/product/xdmxFT/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xud3
ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=121781
hothardware.com/reviews/custom-geforce-gtx-1080-round-up-with-asus-evga-and-gigagyte
pcpartpicker.com/product/sYgPxr/deepcool-case-tesseractswred
pcpartpicker.com/list/j26Yf8
uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/GbNp99/benq-monitor-xl2411z
geizhals.eu/intel-core-i3-7350k-bx80677i37350k-a1557508.html
geizhals.eu/intel-core-i5-6500-bx80662i56500-a1290386.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/XbT8Ps
pcpartpicker.com/list/MNxXM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/LC4y8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/ML4y8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/k6HwD8
pcpartpicker.com/list/HBKYf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/9PrTFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/RRdsM8
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fjz2jc
pcpartpicker.com/list/GT2Hpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/GR2Hpb
pcpartpicker.com/list/mqc2jc
pcpartpicker.com/list/pzBwD8
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200420&cm_re=pcie_cable-_-12-200-420-_-Product
amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFF7Y72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1151-Intel-Motherboards-GA-Z170X-UD3/dp/B012N6ESTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483649285&sr=8-1&keywords=UD3
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

There's already a thread up

And there's already a board to shitpost on for autists like you.

Whats a good Skylake/DDR4 motherboard around $100-$125 right now thats good for OCing a G4400 to 4.4Ghz and a i3 6100 to 4.8Ghz later on down the line? Looking to buy one in the next few hours. Help me out /pcbg/

Gigabyte GA-Z170 HD3P (or what it's called) there are like three versions of this mobo.

Oh boy, what's the best version for OCing?

r8 don't h8

Shouldn't really matter, i think they have the same VRM.

I'm not finding a lot of good reviews for this mobo. Oh boy. At most I'm seeing 3 1/2 stars.

See if you can get cheaper RAM, cheaper case and a AC Wifi adapter.

It's a good mobo though, if you can spend a little more get this: pcpartpicker.com/product/xdmxFT/gigabyte-motherboard-gaz170xud3
It's basically a smaller and cheaper UD5 which has excellent reviews and great OC potential.

But can I OC a non K card like the G4400 and i3 6100 on it?

The reason I chose that ram was to keep the red theme.

About the case, I've been grieving over the current or this one:

ncixus.com/products/?usaffiliateid=1000031504&sku=121781

$45 with a 480w PSU
I like that one for the price and looks but I'm really afraid about the PSU being very cheap. All the reviews say they replaced it and a moderator on the site said the actual power was like 280w. My build only needs 230w but I'm not very sure.

Then again, it would save me like $40

s-should I?

Without thinking about a budget, which is the best company to by a 1080 from?

Isn't there a gaming 1080 that reaches almost like 2000mhz

Officially no, if you have to ask this stupid question i suggest you don't OC or get a prebuilt that already is OCd.

Well I know that, I'd need to get a custom firmware or something like that to do that but I just wanna know if it's possible. I can always look up a tutorial later.

You decide.

hothardware.com/reviews/custom-geforce-gtx-1080-round-up-with-asus-evga-and-gigagyte

Might be a good idea to also compare in other sites like game-debate and cpu.userbenchmark to see which version has a higher score

>I'm really afraid about the PSU being very cheap
PSU will be cheapest chink shit available.
Also no idea how good the case is, if you want a good and cheap case for a red meme theme: pcpartpicker.com/product/sYgPxr/deepcool-case-tesseractswred

that one's unavailable. The case itself is good, the PSU is in fact confirmed cheap chink TM according to reviews of other logysis cases. In the end, its dirt cheap and this is my first build. fuck it, I'll go full chink, hope I don't regret it.

Are there any cables I need to buy separately or will they all come with their respective parts?

Thanks for the help user, all these different brands and names sometimes gets overwhelming. Hopefully I can pick one that isn't an angry red and black eyesore.

I posted a few days ago with an old lga1155 I had in my attic I wanted to set up as a guest pc. Well I ebay'd, craigs'd, and local'd up some components and I have this so far

Biostar Z68 recv 1.3 mobo flashed to UEFI*
4x 2gb Corsair XMS3 1600 (*2x2)
i5 3550
R9 290 tri-x
500gb hitachi deskstar*
cooler master HAF 912 case*
Corsair CX 500 PSU*

*existing components

290: $120 off craigs, needed cleaned and new tim

3550: $65 from the bay. Works fine

ram : $13 from the bay

couple fans, cables and a surge protector: took friend to carls jr for lunch. ~$6

total $ 204

how'd I do Sup Forums, I know the 290 and 500w psu is iffy but I am going to try and undervolt/underclock

>that one's unavailable
Europe? Other cheap cases Fractal Core 1100 and Tt Versa series, but none of those as a red meme theme.

Anybody?

You'd need to flash a custom BIOS and OC it manually trough BCLK, all this is only possible with Z170 mobos.

pcpartpicker.com/list/j26Yf8
spend a little extra and go full gaymer aesthetic.

am3+ mobo so you can upgrade to a dirt cheap octa later, you can xfire another 460 when they are sub $50 used and have a decent poorfag machine. I would get a used 1155/1150 setup before I'd buy existing AMD though.

Rate my monitor choice pls. uk.pcpartpicker.com/product/GbNp99/benq-monitor-xl2411z
gonna be for pro gaymen

Budget is #1 priority for me. I don't really plan on upgrading CPU desu. If I ever upgrade I guess I'll just shell out for another mobo all together.

About the 460, it used to be on my list but for $3 more, I would rather 1050 which scores significantly better. And getting anything higher than 1050 is useless since the CPU would be a bottleneck anyway.

This is the final build, I'll be using 2 old 1TB + 750GB HDD's. I regret not ordering some $20 SSD last night ;_;

get a cheap ass case and go dual channel memory. single channel will just make that old cpu even worse

>he forgot the text
You retarded autist get worse at shitposting with every day that passes.

Are the other m.2 ssds worth it besides the 960 pro the plextor one is 80 bucks and seems to be a decent enough jump over SATA ssds anyways

I read dual was pretty useless desu. Is it really better?

also
>old cpu
It came out like 2-3 months ago

960 EVO is the same price as the Plextor and BTFO of it in every single metric.

Show me where fampaisano

What size you looking at fampai? The 1TB are only $10 away from each other.

user get a decent CPU pls, it's 2017 already.
Invest in future upgrades boyo.

>It came out like 2-3 months ago
It's architecture could be registered as a historic building in some cities.

It's so old Betty White fucked it in high school

It prob tells dad jokes, do not want.

>t's architecture could be registered as a historic building in some cities.
Dumb nigga, Excavator came out LAST year.

I've been using cheap refurbished laptops since 2007. This is a real overhaul for me.
Look at my current shit.
;_; rude desu

I feel sorry for that guy now, I just wanna go over and build his pc for him

What's the max safe voltage for Skylake overclocks?

Varies, but go no higher than 1.35V on VCore if possible

I'd rather go with corsair or sharkoon cases

Is the unlocked i3 worth the money or would it be better to buy an ancient i5-6500 instead?

geizhals.eu/intel-core-i3-7350k-bx80677i37350k-a1557508.html
geizhals.eu/intel-core-i5-6500-bx80662i56500-a1290386.html

and it's a minor improvement of the 22nm process

not bad

FUCK

I JUST GOT AT 6700K

Yeah it's called any 1070

I mean stock.

>$300
pcpartpicker.com/list/XbT8Ps
>$400
pcpartpicker.com/list/MNxXM8
>$500
pcpartpicker.com/list/LC4y8K
>$600
pcpartpicker.com/list/ML4y8K
>$700
pcpartpicker.com/list/k6HwD8
>$800
pcpartpicker.com/list/HBKYf8
>$900
pcpartpicker.com/list/9PrTFd
>$1000
pcpartpicker.com/list/RRdsM8
>$1100
pcpartpicker.com/list/Fjz2jc

>and it's a minor improvement of the 22nm process
Nigga u so dum
It's a 28nm process and it's an overhaul of the Steamroller architecture that came before it, not a simple improvement.

Where? I'm not quite autistic enough to identify a website from a mobile promo page.

Microcenter

corsair is nice but again
>muh budget
hurts to be poor

>>$300
Looks good.
>>$400
Looks good, maybe X4 845K, cheaper RAM and 1050?
>>$500
Good.
>>$600
Why change RAM? No need for different PSU, too, SSD is meh but budget, so it's ok.
GPU is bad, PNY1060 is better
pcpartpicker.com/list/GT2Hpb
>>$700
Better GPU and SSD, cheaper RAM.
pcpartpicker.com/list/GR2Hpb
>>$800
Difficult price spot imho.
pcpartpicker.com/list/mqc2jc
>>$900
Good but slightly improved. Also no idea why you keep on changing that RAM.
pcpartpicker.com/list/pzBwD8
>>$1000
Bad CPU heavy games will be bottlenecked, 1080 also has shit price/performance and should only be considered if budget is no issue.
>>$1100
Same as above, this is in general a bad idea.

I'll make 1000/1100 USD builds.
Should also be noted that those are only valid fod US since PNY and Deepcool are often unavailable in EU.

>why change RAM?
because i wasn't paying attention.
>I'll make 1000/1100 USD builds
if you swap the 1080 out for the 1070, you could toss in a 250gb SSD and probably upgrade to 6600k + z170
>$600 gpu is bad
BUT IT HAS THE JEW STAR INSTEAD OF A PENTAGRAM!!! it's also the cheapest 8gb 480

Been wanting to upgrade RAM which means a new motherboard. should I get a new CPU at the same time or?

save your money

Just get a second stick of 8gb

I need to upgrade my ESXi server. I have an old 6-core Xeon L5640, but it's getting taxed pretty hard now trying to manage four clients at once.
Suggestions?

oh 28nm my bad, it's much more outdated and shitty than gave credit for. Single core is on par with a 4 year old celeron. For the anons gaming use a pentium g would be better. The gimped l2 cache amd gave the 845 so they could claim big improvements in their 7th gen Carrizo based APUs doesn't help either. Min frames will suffer.

I don't think the mobo could handle another stick.

[spoiler]then again, last time I checked what it could handle was a couple years ago[/spoiler]

I've seen WD Blue posted here a lot, is that a good hard disk?
Looking for something to install all my steam games on so I have access to them when offline. Was thinking about some HGST 2TB but they're expensive compared to the rest.

I just put a 1070 in my computer

It has an 8 slot thing to put it in and I have only a 6 slot
what should i do anons

Is this any good?

If your PSU is modular, try to find the 8 pin vga cable. If it isn't, get a molex to 8 pin vga converter.
DO NOT try to run it off 6 pin.

>no 1080 ti
>no vega
this is bullshit what the fuck am i supposed to do now

The only "good" WD Blue is the 1TB model, since it's the only 7200rpm version of the series (all of the other "Blues" are actually just rebranded Greens with 5900rpm platters). You'd need to pay 20% extra for similar 7200rpm Blacks, which is a rip off considering all of the other HDD manufacturers more or less have 7200rpm drives for their entire range.

What's the best non-overclocking mobo?

a cheap H110 from Gigabyte, ASUS, or ASRock

will they be at best buy?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200420&cm_re=pcie_cable-_-12-200-420-_-Product

this is it right?

i5-6600k - $199,99
Hyper 212 EVO - $29.99
ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 3GB - $199.99
8GB DDR4 (2x4GB) - $54.99
ASUS Z170-AR - $99.99

Already have my case, psu, ssd, hdd. Getting all of this at microcenter Tuesday. Just looking to play games at 1080p at hopefully 60fps.

Yes, it's good, you could save about 30 bucks if you'd get the EVGA 500B, such a PSU is fine since you won't OC.

>get a molex to 8 pin vga converter
>i want to burn down my house
Personally i'd take gasoline and matches, but that will work, too.

Yeah that's what you want.

I'm good for 1080p for a bit right? I think the gpu will become a bottleneck soon, thoughts?

>i5-6600k - $199,99
>costs 250€ in EU
This is theft.

>3TB SSD

really?

I can mail one to you senpai.

what do you intend to use this for

I have similar specs except i have an Asus gaming pro mb, and 16gb of 2133 ram.

No its a speccy bug I wish lol.

Jewish EU customs woon't allow this anti-semitic trickery, but thanks m8.

Your board says it supports dual channel, so two sticks will work fine.

am i retard for wanting a 750ti despite owning an a10

the dual graphics meme doesnt look great

Using a card disables the graphics of the APU. It'll work fine though, I have a 980 with my a10.

a better question would be should i get a 750ti or one of the cards capable of dual graphics

6400+z170 mobo

Overclock that shit to 4.5,4.6Ghz and it will rape the unlocked i3.

Not too sure but will this ram

amazon.com/gp/product/B00UFF7Y72/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work on this mobo?

amazon.com/Gigabyte-LGA1151-Intel-Motherboards-GA-Z170X-UD3/dp/B012N6ESTC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483649285&sr=8-1&keywords=UD3

Should do. Try pcpartpicker.com for compatibility stuff

Here's my current build for when I get back from college in a few months. Everything that's $0 is what I'm buying from Best Buy with a $450 gift card & I'm picking up the CPU and Motherboard from Microcenter. My only issue is whether there's anything worthwhile between an RX 480 and a 1070, like maybe a Fury or something. I'm reusing my current hard drive. So this build brings me to around $400, subtracting what I get for selling my 750ti after I rebuild my computer.

Which mobo socket types are the most future proof?
For both intel and amd CPU's

I am planning on an FM2+ build but I'm aware it's pretty much dead upgrade wise.

Too late for that

Bestbuy pricematches from microcenter.

So, if you find cheap stuff on microcenter vs bestbuy, price match it.

Have I fucked anything up so far?

what about AMD's I read something about AM4 coming out or some shit

AM4 mobo for AMD Ryzen

1151 for Intel Skylake/Kabylake

>need to replace my 2nd monitor
>every monitor I look at in the $100-200 range seems to have a myriad of problems

Anyone have a recommendation?