What ancient outdated standard just needs to fucking die? My vote is VGA connectors

what ancient outdated standard just needs to fucking die? My vote is VGA connectors.

Other urls found in this thread:

gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html
amazon.ca/Neewer-HDMI-VGA-Adapter-Converter/dp/B007KFVQXI
twitter.com/AnonBabble

PS2 ports
COM ports
Serial ports
Firewire ports

who the fuck is still using firewire lmao

Microsoft Windows

Bluetooth

USB-A

well, Type C has only been around what, a year?

>taking issue with the most modern technology on the list

ISO90001

firewire was basically replaced by USB2 ages ago

VGA is still more reliable than anything else.

3.5mm jack

Apple pls go

Escape Keys

Who even uses those.

Eliminate all ports and plugs. Everything should be wireless.

DVI / PS2 / VGA

COM and Serial are the same thing, and used for micro-controller development, at least for the moment.

Android

all of em

wait,

none of em, keep em all

Local HDs and SSDs.

>never used firewire 800
spotted the poor

Ext SATA

This never works right and hot swap my ass!

>see me
what did she say im dying for a greentext

HOW THE FUCK WILL I CONNECT A PROJECTOR

with HDMI or DP like a normal person.

A friendly reminder that Richard Stallman, wouldn't recommend anyone to install Gentoo.

>I have a low opinion of Gentoo GNU/Linux.
>Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.
>More importantly, Gentoo steers the user towards nonfree programs, which is why it is not one of our recognized free distros.
>See the GNU distros list for the distros that I do recommend. gnu.org/distros/free-distros.html

WiFi.

Runcom

enjoy your dongle

[triggered]

USB2 was a paper tiger which couldn't even beat the original Firewire in practice.

Full nkey r/o, no polling, no delay, ps2 is just far superior compared to usb in every way for keyboards. Mouse on the other hand not at all. If I'm shopping for a mobo and it doesn't have PS2 I'm not buying that mobo.

Was close enough that it made FW400 basically irrelevant. Nobody except us Sup Forumsentoomen would care about a 5MB/s difference.

Yeah, I still prefer it to HDMI

USB2 was fast enough for most things and didn't have any issues with hot plugging

Audio and video people mostly. Lot of highend equipment ( talking $1000 and up - used... ) uses FireWire, hardware is still good.

It's getting phased out for USB now but there were quite a few advantages to FireWire for low latency applications.

I don't see the big deal with having a rs232 port on a ATX Mobo. Space isn't exactly a big deal. I can survive with a header on the Mobo though. Serial is pretty handy when you need it.

Adoption of the (Cisco?) Rj45 standard serial would be cool though. Rs232 ports and cables are kinda bulky.

Ps2 ports are sorta eh. I don't really care. Only advantage is one can still get ps2 keyboards for systems that don't boot USB drivers fast enough to get into BIOS.

Most of these ports could really be delegates to headers on mobos let people who need them connect em up.

Linux.

It's responsible for more security flaws than Windows or Java.

shit my Z97 board has a fucking LPT header on it for some reason

Alot of older HDTVs can only look decent with the proper colors and actual panel resolution over VGA. So yeah fuck HDMI

This guy knows what's up.

>PS2 ports
yes. replaced by USB
>COM ports
yes. only used for industrial shit nowadays
>Serial ports
no. muh networking/laboratory equipment config
>Firewire ports
yes. DMA a shit

Except Firewire 400 came out before USB2 and every camcorder company had already adopted it. They literally promised 200Mbit over what USB2 actually produced. Had Intel and Microsoft not backed it, it would have been DOA.

>COM ports
>yes
>Serial ports
>no

That's the thing, FW was alright for devices like camcorders and audio interfaces, but it was too expensive for shit like mice, which doomed it.

>he thinks COM and Serial ports are different

> require repeaters every 10 feet
> expecting professional adoption
Go fuck yourself fw

>he thinks USB signal doesn't degrade with cable length
Okay pleb

audio interfaces

VGA = VESA = TI industry
HDMI = Hollywood = Jews

Nothing because it's fake you idiot

PCI slots.

There hasn't been a reason to buy a PCI card in the last 10 years at least.

You are profoundly retarded. Please kill yourself.

VGA is more relevant in 2017 than HDMI, which is literally just Displayport but worse

Sound Cards, Raid Cards, NICs, USB expansion cards all use PCIe now.

There is no reason to get a PCI card for the regular consumer.

Yes there is:
If your motherboard only has a PCI slot available, you buy a PCI card to go in. They also tend to be cheaper.

There's no difference between PCIE 1x and PCI. While I'd get over the complete removal from all motherboards, I still own many PCI cards. I have a PCI ATSC tuner in my computer right now.

>Everything should be prone to interference and signal loss

>DVI/VGA
Only if they replace it with DP and not cucked HDMI trash

>PS2
Only mouse ports, keyboard/combo ports are fine until they make something else interrupt-based and NKRO capable without resorting to dirty hacks.

I still use a PS/2 keyboard in 2017

this desu. i want a new video card but they all have dvi D only. and a hdmi to vga brings me lag.
also ps/2 ports for the masterrace keyboard and mouse.!!!

I use it simply because I like my old keyboard. And my 2014 mobo still has two ps/2 ports, so why not? I'm not interested in leet gaymur mice and keyboards.

I'd replace power cables with some bigger version of USB-c.
>>Gentoo is a GNU/Linux distribution, but its developers don't recognize this; they call it "Gentoo Linux". That means they are treating me and the GNU Project disresepectfully.
Told you the gnu/linux crap is just Stallman being butthurt over people not mentioning GNU and his contributions enough.

VGA is still a great connector

There are still new mainstream boards with PCI and VGA coming out with CES 2017

>and a hdmi to vga brings me lag
then use DVI -> VGA

oh wait. i missed that D

>I don't use that port with my gay men PC or applel hardware so it needs to be removed

PS/2 is still extremely useful for recovering from errors. It lets you jump into BIOS/UEFI settings before most of the system devices are bootstrapped, so it can get around a bunch of errors that happen before USB initialization.

usb 2 and usb 3
apple did the right thing, they were courageous

hdmi
DP is royalty free and does a better job than hdmi

No I want it to be molex. I want it replaced with a smaller version of the standard power supply connectors (more than a few variants that fit this description exist already).

Issue I have with molex is it can be made to too cheap a standard (Chinese made no fucks given standard) and cause the typical hardware gore and it is normal to have to reseat the connector a few times for the thing to connect properly.

if HDMI was replaced by Displayport everywhere it would be an objective improvement for everyone

The world is still littered with projectors that only have VGA cables available.

Sure, but almost all displays still only ship VGA and HDMI. Since my laptop only has DP and VGA, I had to use VGA to connect it. And to tell you the truth, the fullHD image looks completely fine.

Everyone except production companies, becuase HDCP.
HDCP is literally the only reason HDMI is still a thing.
>muh monies
>muh corporate overlords

btw, while we're talking about VGA:
best graphics card with DVI-I port?
i was looking at that meme GTX Titan X but maybe there's something better (cheaper)

>having to use more ports for audio

what?

S/PDIF is two channel trash and needs to die.

HDCP 2.0 has been in Displayport since 1.2

HDMI 2.0 is the most useless display interface of all time

Maxwell was the last GPU to use DVI-I

I'll be keeping my 980ti forever because of this

I liked the AT way of dealing with this type of stuff. Instead of PCI cards, they should put all of this shit on headers and let the end user decide what they want exposed. Make standard ATX I/O plates to be sold separately with punchout tins for what the user wants to use. The I/O could be cabled to the back then screwed into the backplate. You could get rid of everything you don't use.

i'd like to get something worth of my CRT and i've been wondering what. Titan X looks the best but that price...

yeah but there's HDMI to VGA converters, what makes DVI-I so much better that you're willing to meme yourself?

some mobos don't like USB keyboards/mouses so if you need to reinstall system, you're fucked

That would be more expensive and non-standard, which is why it never took off, but I can see the benefits. Just, most people wouldn't pay for it.

? DVI has been superceded by displayport, and can be adapted down from DP. Why would you need it on the card?

those motherboards need to go into the /trash/ where they belong

>HDMI to VGA

He's talking about DVI-I specifically, which outputs an analog signal for VGA

Tell that to my OS, which locks up the USB ports.
PS/2 is based on system interrupts, so cannot be affected by other devices and will never become unresponsive.

amazon.ca/Neewer-HDMI-VGA-Adapter-Converter/dp/B007KFVQXI
8 moose bucks senpai, what's stopping you?

Most HDMI to VGA converters have shit DACs can't do 2048x1536 or anything over 1920x1200 really

Your OS is shit.

So is your taste in I/O.

you obviously have never seen the quality of this shit otherwise you wouldn't try to shill it

there's quality loss when going from HDMI/DP to VGA

VGA can normally support up to 2048x1536@60hz

with adapters it can only do 1920x1440@60hz

VGA actually technically supports up to 85Hz at QXGA. If there are any video cards or monitors that ever supported that is a different matter.

>VGA can normally support up to 2048x1536@60hz
>60hz
more actually

Most high end CRTs can do QXGA. Almost all modern graphics cards have RAMDACS that can support QXGA at 85hz

>VGA can normally support up to 2048x1536
It's analog why could it not go higher than that?