/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Other urls found in this thread:

ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So, now that the new i7 7700K is coming out, will we still be able to buy the older 6700K?
If so, will it cost less? By how much?

Also, I wanted an i7 6700K to run W7 on. is there anything I should be wary about?

Thanks in advance.

Caved in and ordered a 4K monitor.
I don't do a lot of gaming, but I still do some.
I know my 760 isn't powerful enough for pushing twice the pixels as my prior 2*1080p setup; should I go for a 1070 or stick with upgrading to a 1060?

cpu prices will not drop like they do with GPU's.

maybe cpu prices will drop a little.. but intel really own the market. they can set their own prices.

Ah damn, so a 6700K will cost about the same as a 7700K?
Will they be available, or Intel will stop producing them and we'll only be able to buy only those currently in stock?

Reposting, because the other thread was essentially dead.

Alright Sup Forums, I've got 2 stupid questions that are completely unrelated:

1. What is THE best small screwdriver set that has every kind of tiny screwdriver you could need in a compact, self-contained package? I was about to pull the trigger on this: ifixit.com/Store/Tools/64-Bit-Driver-Kit/IF145-299 but then I realized Sup Forums probably has a better alternative.

2. My LAN at home should theoretically all be 1gbps, but there's a bottleneck in one of the ethernet cables I'm using to 100mbps. I'm fairly certain that all my cables are 5e because they've all been purchased within the last 5 years, but is there some way to run some kind of test on your LAN and figure out where bottlenecks are?

I have a gigabit switch, my router is an ASUS rt66nu, and all recent motherboard ethernet ports should be gigabit capable, no? I guess I just don't understand why transfers between computers over LAN seem to be going at 100mbps.

GPU prices don't even drop nowadays. They drop a little, then shoot up when they stop production so you can buy the expensive next model

how do I follow along with what is happening at CES? I think last year there were threads and livestreams and stuff

can a shitty power strip cause coil whine in psu?

No, and the coil whine is most likely coming from your GPU.

Is Debian better than Ubuntu?

ALRIGHT I GOTTA STUPID QUESTION FOR YOUR ASSES.

I want to buy this GPU. I don't overclock cards, or mess with any of that shit. I don't understand what the difference is between this one and the double-wide one with two fans. Is the performance the same? Is it just so it stays cooler? Or just that the mini card can fit in smaller cases?

4790k is still available and it's from Q2'14

availability has not historically been a problem

I've had my Nexus 5 CM11 for over 2 years working without issues, I don't have play store or any of that botnet nor bloated apps. Today it started acting weird, FCing apps and soft reseting (so I know its not the famous shitty power button) and resetting app data and configurations. Could it be that the internal emmc is shitting itself?

Ah, good. Thank you.

micro sd card or sd card for storing images, music, documents, and videos that would be used in desktop, laptop, TV, and phone (just micro sd card)?

When an SSD fails because it has performed too many writes, are you unable to read it also? Does it become bricked or just read-only?

One is long and thin, the other is fat and short. Depends on your case.

my printer is just about out of black ink, but i don't have the time to get a new cartridge right now
supposedly, single cartridge mode is suppsoed to be a fix for this, where all the colors make black or something. but that didn't work at all, it just says "low on ink" even though the black cartridge isn't in the printer and the color cartridge is almost full, and nothing prints.
what do i do?
it's an hp envy 4501

But why do they even make the big ones in the first place if it doesn't need 2 fans?!!?!

are any AMD APUs good?

anyone?

Every few days, 2 weeks at most, it's not regular, my windows 7 machine will lose the ability to open new connections over the internet. Loading web pages or connecting to other services just times out. The only exception is already established services like SSH sessions using putty or if I'm streaming audio or video.

In addition to that, I can't open folders or some other applications. I can't open the control panel or command line to check my IP. I can't even get into the task manager to see if anything is hogging the system. I also can't issue a shut down or restart and have to forcefully power cycle the computer. A couple of times this has happened over remote desktop and when I disconnect and try to reconnect again, it just hangs there trying to connect. When I try to log in at the computer itself, it just hangs at logging me in...

When it comes back up, it's like nothing happened. Everything works great. I'm getting no errors or other indication that anything is wrong before and during. Leaving the machine to "process" for a few days didn't fix the issue. The only solution is to force a power off.

Any ideas?
inb4 switch to linux or mac, I have 3 Macs and 2 Linux workstations in the same office, and no, they don't have the same problem.

shorter ones are for small form factor PCs mainly
they have a smaller cooler so they don't overclock as much as the full size versions

all cards today overclock automatically (it's called gpu boost or turbo or whatever) based on thermals, power usage, firmware and clock settings which you can adjust

if you have a normal sized case there is no reason to buy a small form factor card. maybe the price might be an argument but those aren't significantly cheaper imo

I am changing the harddisk in my Macbook Pro to an SSD, what should I remember before doing this, and how do I do it? Thanks.

Could you get in trouble for mass downloading images from a site? Like could it trigger a DDOS detector?

Thanks, time for a new question:

If I have 8 GB of RAM in two of my board's four slots and I don't remember the model, is it bad to mix different models if I want to get two more for 16?

no

Really?

Is it worth getting a used Macbook to learn OSX, or is a virtual machine viable?

My internet takes a shit with every new router I buy, but it works perfectly fine on the one I bought 8 years ago. Only wanted to upgrade to get better speeds but if I'm playing something online I am constantly getting disconnected. What do?

Can be great and play fine might shit the bed, sometimes even the same brand with the same model and timings can not go together, albeit rarely, buy 16 gigs if your board supports it you migth end up with 24 like me

call your isp and complain, but do it in a polite manner

It's time warner and they do these stupid "test packets" that they send to my network and they get a response they say NOPE NOT BROKE. Yeah of course it's not going to do it when you're on the phone with me lmfao.

Unplug your cable a few moments of "sending test packets"

I like the way you think user

Is it better to use a toolkit to root a phone or Android SDK? Trying to root the 5x

So I'm trying to reverse engineer a custom compression format so I can extract the compressed file

If I have a .jpg I'm almost certain came from a specific compressed custom file, are there any things I should be looking for that might help reverse engineer the custom compression format?

I had the same issue with Cox a few years back. Connection would drop like a lead weight about a couple times an hour. After several calls in to figure out what was up, they finally sent a tech out to check the signal and equipment, and everything seemed to check out. Finally, one thing they had me try was moving the cable modem's power plug from the power strip it was plugged into to having it directly plugged into the wall.

Surprisingly enough, it worked, and I never had the problem again except when the modem itself finally started to fail.

Strike that - dead certain this image came from the compressed custom file. Dat ELA

Yeah they're in the same strip, I'll try that. Thanks user.

How bad is this?

But they are cheaper, that's why I've been looking at them...

Anybody?

Is filling with ones, and then filling with zeroes enough to wipe a HDD?

Unplug
Stick in freezer
Image to new drive

SMART values aren't standardized, so drives from different manufacturers will store the information in a different way that may trigger false positives in third party utilities. Add to that the fact that this means they typically aren't human-readable either. Get a diagnostic utility directly from Fujitsu and see what it says.

Just one write with zeroes is enough.

i heard that writing a 0 to a 1 bit value still leaves the bit magnetized on the platter enough to be read from again.
I don't want military grade wiping, i just want it quick and efficient.

Hey guys, I need help.
>Have an external 320GB HDD
>Sister unscrews it and tries to use it as an internal HDD
>I screw it back and now it doesn't show up on the PC
What do?
Can it still be fixed?

My monitor finally died today, no longer turns on.

Can anyone talk me out of getting an Asus MG279Q? 1440p, 144 Hz, IPS, FreeSync...seems amazing in theory.

Electrical question:
I need to connect
gnd to on
and
gnd to off
With this arduino. Can anyone tell me how to do it without external transistors or relays, have none here. Thanks bud.

fuck forgot pic.
and also have all 3 disconnected.
I figure the arduino has some internal transistors but have no idea how to use them.

i7-6700K was ~£350 yesterday.
i7-7700K launched at ~£350.
i7-6700K is now ~£300.

Perfect time to buy Skylake really. Bargain used CPUs aren't common any more due to the lack of improvements over the last 7-8 years (especially compared to GPUs).

You're gonna have to give a little bit more detail. What did she 'unscrew'? How is the drive normally connected? Did she do anything to the connector in her attempt?

Okay, it passed the short test. Long test is running now.

The drive is empty. I was planning to install Windows 7 on it for a dual boot. The drive will not ever contain any important data.

I tried asking this in /wdg/ and didnt get a reply so maybe it belongs better here.

Is there anywhere / way to practice web dev on mobile?

I work on an assembly line and I want to do something more productive than browse Sup Forums all day.

>Have 6600K
>Need new mono
>Z270 boards flooding the market
>Lots of Z170 boards no longer on sale
Wat do

Who would win in a mud wrestling match, Stallman or Gaben?

You mean like this Z170?

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566

Should I encode my FLACs to MP3 using VBR or CBR? I'm transfering music from my computer to my phone and I want to save as much space as possible.

VBR

Pic related.
Sorry if quality isn't good, I'm using my phone.

I know they're not literally all gone. What I'm asking is would it be good or better to go for a Z270 board at this point

34" 3440x1440 75Hz
or
27" 3840x2160 60Hz

Both LG

As stupid as it qets lads: I want to buy TV, to hook it up as a secondary display to my PC, mostly for movies, maybe some games. What specs or features should I look for, what should I avoid, any feedback welcome.
We're talking about Full HD, budget about 500£

I wouldnt trust it at all, definatly not for the fresh install
Return it

What is Sup Forums written in?

Better pic.

>TV
>Games
go with a massive IPS monitor instead.

Reconnect this.

ASM

Depends on how important the different specs are to you.

How important is physical screen size? Resolution? Refresh rate? Pixel density?

These days a 500£ tv will usually end up being 4k whether you like it or not, which is stressfull to your GPU, but you can turn the resolution down. I'd find one with HDR if you can, especially if you have a ps4. Bear in mind that 1080p can be pretty low res if you're fairly close and it's larger than 25 inches

It just passed the extended test so I guess it's good.

Stupid question I'm new to pc building how tight should I screw in the motherboard standoffs?

Not super tight. Just tight enough there's no looseness

I would call your stats pretty bad. Try running checkdisk, then format the drive, and see how much used space it reports. If it's a lot, then your drive is probably dying hardcore.

I tried to record csgo footage using OBS the game was running ok (250 fps) but the output video was super laggy, what should I do? The video was being recorded at 1080p 60fps. Pic related with my specs.

is there any such peripheral that acts as a wireless transmitter for usb stuff?
like, if i wanted to make a wired device wireless, like a mouse.

Hand tighten only, do not use tools.

bump for interest

Well if you've got Nvidia that's easy :) Also I'd take HDR over IPS. There's plenty of good looking shit that's not so unnecessarily expensive.

You waited 3 minutes
Fuck Off.

>for interest
that implies it's a different user user

Taking a mouse that already has a cable on it and adding the latency and unreliability of wireless sounds like the worst possible combo of features. Plus you'd have to worry about powering it, so you'd just end up tethered to your power outlet instead of your pc

don't be ridiculous. a screw driver is fine. tighten the screw gently until it snugs, then a single 1/8th turn. done!

I'm three years into getting a degree in computer science and I feel like I haven't actually progressed at all in my coding ability for the past few semesters. I'm still largely incapable of writing anything beyond trivial programs. What is the best way to improve my skills and prepare for the real world of software development besides getting interships and continuing to go to class (both of which I plan to do)?

Sup Forums my second 1440p u2515h monitor came in today.

I'm running one on display port and the other off of DVI->HDMI cable

On the second monitor I'm running on the DVI->HDMI cable I'm only getting 2048x1152 and can't access the 2560x1440p setting in windows.

My graphics card is an r9 270x.

is it the DVI cable or the graphics card thats the issue?

Probably a limitation of the HDMI. I'd go with dvi-dl end to end

fuck forgot picture

Why can't we use lots of RAM as storage ? I mean, why can't we make it persistent over reboots ?

Nothing much.
Just get used of the act of coding, of how a collaborative project works, and you'll be ok.
Not a code star or whattev shit but you'll get a decent job, and you'll end up managing and sending way more email than code.

There are temporary ram drives, and ways to make them back up automatically to disk before shutting down. You can't make the ram itself non-volatile because any form of persistent storage takes much longer to read and write

I don't think he really wants it for a mouse tho, but it was just for the example to better explain himself.

If that's the case ; it doesn't exist bc technical reasons.

Is that Robin Williams ...

swapped the DVI-HDMI cable for just an hdmi - hdmi cable and now I'm getting full resoultion on both monitors. thanks user.

I have, and I connected it to the PC.
The PC beeps to show a new hardware has been added, and it shows up on device manager but it doesn't show in file explorer.