/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.
If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

>Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

(isn't part of this missing?)

Other urls found in this thread:

costco.com/1More-Triple-Driver-In-Ear-Headphones.product.100296621.html
amazon.com/dp/B01KZ238SS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2E9AS65UJ82IB&coliid=IYIVLZEU162Y1
amazon.com/Spadger-Monitor-Headphones-Leather-CD-990/dp/B01N085T4L/
amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/
amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFOEY4I/ref=psdcmw_172487_t3_B01GOB77F4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Just tried on 6xx's, why do they sound the same as my cloud 2s?
is it because I'm plugging the senns into the hyperx sound card usb thing or what

I need a good phone recommendation for gayming. I was thinking about the artic 5 from steelseries but I think I might be getting meme'd into buying a product only because it has RGB lightning and no real good audio. Originally , I was aiming for the sennheiser 598 , but it's just too expensive (at 148 cucks on amazon). So guys , any good phones for less/same than the artic 5 and better quality? Or is it okay ?

they really really really shouldn't sound even remotely close

6xx is neutral to bassy open headphones, while hyperx cloud is V shaped

>Budget
40 bucks flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
a CD player (its for my grandma)
>Type of headphone
iem
>Comfort level
as comfy as possible. I bought her some cheap monoprices but they keep falling out of her ear
>Sound signature
I guess neutral or mid forward. Just nothing bass boosted or fatiguing

dt770 80 ohm

if you're looking at 598, look into 558 with the foam mod "hack"

I wonder if brighter headphones are better for old people, since they hear higher frequencies worse

Both have a slightly warm sound signature which is decently flat. I guess with more listening and switching back and forth you'll notice more of a difference but they share some similarities. Pro 80 has a little bit more sub bass and a notch somewhere in upper midrange. Treble coloration is different too, mainly Pro 80 having more of it and peakier.

Yeah, that's what I thought too. I'll spend more time with the 6xx and compare later on I guess
Would you happen to know if the hyperx's usb sound card affects anything

Thanks I'll have to listen more for now

I recently ordered the 600 and I'm waiting on them, should I get the O2 for $80 or just stick with my e10k or get something better?

The reason why I'm hesitant is because I was looking at tube amps because they supposedly sound nice with the 600/650. It'd be something different than another albeit more powerful solid state amp.

Serious question, come come no one makes a bigger deal over the Panasonic Ergoshit RP-HJE125? I just got these a few hours ago and I can't believe they are so good for the price, I paid £7 for them and they honest to God sound better than the HD700's I paid £350 for (and swiftly returned).

>inb4 panasonic shill

I got the Logitech G933 mere hours ago, they look and sound fine, opinions?

To the user from the previous thred, about the tubeamped X2:
>How do they sound vs un-amped? The X2 is a very efficient headphone, not sure why you'd need one, especially a cheaper tube amp. Unless you want them even warmer.
For certain songs (very good source quality) the difference is something I like a lot, it really opens up the music, if that means anything. Like, from regular output it sounds kind of flat, as if you're listening to a radio playing the song in a small room, and on the amp it's as if you're actually listening to the musicians playing in a large venue.
It's not that obvious for a lot of songs, but those where it is, it's worth it for me (since it's just a $40 amp).

>tfw my FUCKING HEADPHONES still didn't come in today

I assume it's just a dac, in which case it really shouldn't alter the sound

they're a big deal here

also, they're good for the price, but they're nowhere close to being actually good, there's a significant improvement at just 20-25$ with the piston 3

Ordering some headphones tonight. Currently have a pair of K702

Can't decide between HD650 or K712

>they're a big deal here
I come here pretty often and have seen them recommended once, maybe it's because people don't ask for super cheap earbuds here.

Even if something 2-3x the price is significantly better they are really great in my opinion for something at a 'disposable' price. Only things I can pick wrong with it without being stupid are that they go a little further into my ear that I'd like, are maybe a little strong in the bass for my liking, and they don't have really any soundstage, but I guess no earbud will do soundstage like headphones can.

1More Triple Driver In-Ear Headphones are $59.99 at costco. Are they any good?
costco.com/1More-Triple-Driver-In-Ear-Headphones.product.100296621.html

> You don't have permission to access "costco.com/1More-Triple-Driver-In-Ear-Headphones.product.100296621.html" on this server.
is it because I'm black?
what the fuck costco

Might be. The link works in the USA.

>Budget
300-500usd
>Location
Sweden
>Source
Phone/tablet via a dac
>Type of headphone
IEM
>Sound signature
Mid and high focus, wont be listening to bass heavy things.

They must have detachable cables, tired as fuck from cables breaking from simply existing in this universe.

AKG K3003i

how about you stop being a consumerist retard and instead learn to use an equalizer

Why did I get memed?

And why doesnt those 1000usd iems not have detachable cable?

Shure SE535.

>500USD on IEM's

TAKSTAR HI2050
amazon.com/dp/B01KZ238SS/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=2E9AS65UJ82IB&coliid=IYIVLZEU162Y1

Do you use your headphones or your IEMs more?

>check related headphones below
>see this
amazon.com/Spadger-Monitor-Headphones-Leather-CD-990/dp/B01N085T4L/

yo is this a fucking open back hm5?

Thanks, I see Shure everywhere, seems like they are dominating the market.

I was willing to go higher until I got a new pair of headphones too.

Welp, I got my A5 Pros in.

Sound quality is good, and the look and build quality is great. They have this neat twist and lock pad change feature.

Unfortunately, the comfort's missing - the clamp is tight, and the pads are tiny, and no one seems to sell the A5 Pro specific pads anymore, so I'd have to rip the current ones apart to change them.

So back they go.

>Budget
$40 Flexible
>Location
USA
>Source
phones, mp3 players, computers
>Type of headphone
Full-sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
As long as it's overhead and it doesn't suffocate the sides of my head it should be pretty comfortable
>Sound signature
Neutral, or anything as long as it's not in the extremes.
>Past headphones
Just a bunch of kinda cheap On-ear headphones. They were ok I guess but the quality was weak and they wore out pretty badly.

I meant to say as long as it's over-ear, not overhead. Also I'm just gonna use these for listening to music.

How the fuck does that come with detachable cable/pads and even a carrying case for that price?

I have it narrowed things down to the Sony 7506 and the Sony MDR-V6.

I know they're pretty similar, but which one is slightly better?

>Budget
$100-300
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone / laptop / motherboard
>Type of headphone
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy, which I interpret as light, large earpads, and moderate clamping force - think SHP9500
>Sound signature
Whatever the HD 598 Cs is - warm?
>Past headphones
SHP 9500, HD 598 Cs

Looking for something like the HD 598 Cs but better, with a nicer build quality and ideally more portable - any suggestions?

Looking at ATH-MSR7 or Sony MDR1A, or maybe just another part of HD 598 Cs.

What is wrong with headsets

99% of the time they're poor quality headphones combined with a mike and marked up 200%.

>Budget
$160 max
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Full Sized
>Open or closed
Open
>Comfort level
Relatively comfy (not bothersome after a couple of hours)
>Sound signature
Neutral

>buy super expensive open back headphones
>live in noisy house
>also be conscious of people hearing my music
>currently enjoying my $10 earphones + 3M ear defenders more because of isolation

Anyone else know these feels?

Can any SHP9500 owners comment on these EQ settings recommended by the top review here? (pic related): amazon.com/Philips-SHP9500-Precision-Over-ear-Headphones/dp/B00ENMK1DW/

Is this bretty gud for getting a neutral FR from them or could it be better?
How do you EQ yours?

Buy used, people take care of audio shit

I think I'm going deaf, when I EQd my SHP9500 I couldn't tell a real difference...

Doesn't look like an EQ I'd use.
I have these headphones and all I did is boosted the bass up a bit, barely tweaked a few other frequencies, such as boosting very high trebles.

That EQ looks far too "intense". You barely have to EQ SHP9500s.

HM5
Koss portapro or save a bit and get Philips SHP9500
Sony MDR1A if you don't want to look like an autist in public. I'm not really sure about how comfortable they are.

Yes.

K712 is brighter.

>Budget
$200
>Location
USA
>Source
smsl m3 or bravo v2
>Type of headphone
Full-sized Over-ear
>Open or closed
open or closed
>Comfort level
Good enough to wear for a few hours at minimum
>Sound signature
Neutral or bassy or v-shaped okay
>other
Want them to be Planar Magnetic or electrostatic if possible for this budget.

>sidesteping
wew lad, just keep the 702s

I can definitely tell a difference switching between this and no EQ. The highs sound way too strong without EQ (I got that sense even before I listened with that EQ applied).
But I'm kind of concerned about that -3.5 scoop out of the upper bass and low mids. I've never tried EQing headphones before so I guess I'll just mess around from here until I get something I like.

a better question is who is that qt

>electrostatic
>$200

Uhh - better cruise Craigslist for a long time for that kind of money. Cheapest new I've heard of is $500, not including electrostatic amp.

I would but I've had them for over a year and the pads are very worn and the band doesn't have as much tension anymore. They're not as secure on my head as a like.

>Budget
>$200
>Want them to be Planar Magnetic or electrostatic

> Planars or electrostats
Your best bet with that money is to look for a second hand chinkfiman headphones.
Just prepare to get second hand chinked, because the build quality on those is fucking atrocious and they stopped selling replacement parts and charge you a 200$ flat rate to fix ANY issue. Learning from Apple I guess.

Planars are just about doable - there's Fostex T20RP for $80, Fostex T50RP for $100, and Monoprice just came out with $200 Monolith M560, which is both open and closed.

Thinking you can get $200 electrostatics is fucking retarded, though.

I hope I gave you some laughs. I figured for the price it was out of the question but I saw an user post about $25 dual driver iems that turned out to be great I would try.

Any opinions about the STAX SR-L300 for starter electrostatics?

ATH-M50x Headphones and FiiO A3 Amplifier Bundle | $248
ATH-M50x | $196
DT1770 (32 or 250 Ohms) | $210

which one should I get Sup Forums. I finally saved the mulla but can't make my mind up, the DT1770 look so sexy but the 80 Ohm variant is not available by the supplier and the ATH has good reviews.

>DT1770
>210$
Dude what? They're like 500-600$, did you mean DT770?

yes, my bad

>Budget
$50
>Location
USA
>Source
PC
>Type of headphone
Fullsized Headset
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
comfy
>Sound signature
midcentric or neutral
>Past headphones
Jeecoo Stereo Headset Over-ear Headphones with Microphone

Grounding type is the difference, they sound around the same, only one a little louder, if you like metal go for the v6, if you like classical and voices better go for the 7506

Look at these ones, Logitech is always good.

amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BFOEY4I/ref=psdcmw_172487_t3_B01GOB77F4

Also,
>headset
>microphone connected to headphones
>muh muh video games!!!!!!11!!1

Grow up.

How do I stop coil whine coming through my front panel audio? Can't run it straight from my motherboard sadly.

I'm still not sure if they're good for their price, or actually GOOD

but I like

Buy a DAC/AMP

>which one good user?

E10K or Micca Origen+

>But user im poor and dont have hard to drive headphones

Ok my boy go for the Fiio K1

>Thanks user you are my hero

I know

Wouldn't buying an AMP/DAC give me only one usable audio output?

are you using several audio outputs at the same time? i assumed the motherboard one was fucked

I'm using the motherboard one to power my good headphones, it's used in this way permanently. I use the front panel connector for when I plug in other random shit like speakers or earphones. Getting behind my computer isn't easy is the reason I don't just use that, plus I change what I'm listening to frequently and the motherboard connector is flimsy, I don't want to break shit.

The micca Origen+ has 3 audio outputs, one for speakers and 2 for headphones, well any DAC would let you have the output at the reach of your hand, why dont you buy a 3.5mm male to a 3.5mm female cable if you dont want to spend money?. the noise from the front output would be from electrical distortion

>why dont you buy a 3.5mm male to a 3.5mm female cable if you dont want to spend money
Because I have autism and putting more cables and connectors between my headphones means it would degrade the audio quality in my mind.

but you already have extra cables and connectors inside the computer case from the sound card to the front ports. besides, extension cables don't alter the sound much at all

planning on buying the samson sr950, basically the same as the hd669 but uglier. Any better alternative closed headphones? And can anyone comment on how good they are compared to a 200 dollar headphone? Like X is 90% as good as Y headphone.

>Budget
0-100
>Location
USA
>Source
Phone/Computer, have amp
>Type of headphone
Overear Closed
>Comfort
more comfy the better
>Sound Sig
Don't mind as long as not too dark

How's my babby's first collection so far /hpg/

If your gonna get ath m series then get the m40x and get ur self some good pads cause ur not gona like the stock, but since u said that ur willing to spend the big bucks then id say go for the dt770

K340

Alright so I've got a question for anyone who's experienced with DAC's. I've tried searching for it on a google, but I didn't find any definite things.

Is there a ratio or sweet spot on money spent on a DAC/preamp to headphones? I bought a pair of ATH-MSR7 and I'm trying to decide on a DAC that isn't overkill, but isn't bottlenecking my audio quality.

I was thinking of the Micca Origen plus, but I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to spend money without being really informed about my purchase.

I know that feel but I bought super expensive closed back headphones because I fucking hate how much sound the people I live with are capable of making.

To me putting them on and hearing only music is respite from the hell of constant noise and commotion going on around me.

Everyone knows they're great.

Them and the SHP3590 are the two default recommendations for really cheap IEMs. Though /csg/ shit has kinda entered the mix tho.

Fulla 2 sounds better than the Origen +. Only get the Origen if you need SPDIF or multiple sources.

headphones for music and games. iem's for casual things like youtube videos.

Ok thanks dude! I really appreciate it. I don't use SPDIF and I really only have 1 source playing.

Much appreciated senpai

the bass on the x2's doesn't seem as boosted as people made it seem they are
inb4 "nigger"

Most of /hpg/ shills are used to the anemic mudsound of HD600, so what do they know about bass.

AKG 553 Pro for $105 or Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Limited Edition for $135

which one is the better deal for playing games,listening to music (all genres), and watching movies??

AKG K 553 pro is better

in what ways is it better than the DT 770??

It actually has mids, and doesn't have ear rape highs and doesn't look like autism therapy headphones

i have a pair of kingstons, which are nice but they have some pretty bad QA issues.

>$1099 small-batch artisanal IEMs gets you such a piece of shit

/r/headphones, SBAF and HF are all cancerous, ignorant shills.

had these for 2 years now

feels bad man

>snapheiser

Etymotic ER-4SR or XR.

>Shure SE535.
It barely has highs.

You get some quality stuff if you pick wisely.

>bravo v2
>buys headphones for the sake of technology

When any modern audio DAC works, it isn't bottlenecking anything. Thinking it as a bottleneck even in the case you hear something altered by the DAC is misleading as DAC's shortcomings do not manifest similarly to the headphone response. Whatever headphones you use is completely unrelated.

Are you surprised? It's more of a rule than an exception that those "high end" in-ears are all sorts of wonky shit with fancy looking cases.

RIP
kinda glad i sold mine already