Intel Core i7-7700K Kaby Lake

Every review out is called this thing a meme and the result of AMD's embarrassment and Intel genuinely not giving a shit anymore.

Even reports that OCing the 6700K will produce the exact same results.

So who is going to buy it? Can Intel actually afford to release a CPU they know damn well nobody with a brain is going to bother buying? Why not just release nothing?

arstechnica.co.uk/gadgets/2017/01/intel-core-i7-7700k-kaby-lake-review/

>Intel brings desktop performance to a standstill.

they priced it cheaper though
Intel is fully aware of what they're doing

It's a meme for desktops. Wait for Skylake-E for that.

For laptops it will have battery life and onboard video benefits.

Also it's more believable that silicon is hitting a plateau and going smaller is impractical, and that Intel may be focusing on non-silicon, like CPU manufacturers should've seen coming a decade away

Normies will think 7700k is newer and a bigger number than 6600k and therefore must be better, so it will still sell.

This. I don't understand why they're stretching silicon to it's absolute limit. Wouldn't they have better yields and easier development with fewer setbacks switching to Germanium now?

Also, may as well have taken the time to get the infrastructure to produce Germanium chips in place while AMD was stagnating. AMD would be over if Intel were shooting through 10, 7, 5, etc. nm on schedule instead of wringing out Silicon.

>assuming the typical consumer is smart

a chunk of the market will buy it because its new with no care as to its actual performance.

As someone in the industry I can tell you that they're doing just that but finding a replacement for silicone is much more difficult than you might think.

The industry's actually pretty fucked

im sure newegg reviews full of people claiming huge performance gains already

I'm also in the industry
Intel as a company are being pretty arrogant about PCIe 4.0 collaboration
Sandisk is still finding and choosing suppliers
Hyundai is keeping the same course, they're good customers
But of course people think PCIe 3.0 and 4.0 are completely different technologies and should be dubugged and optimized by whole new companies for some reason

In my eyes the biggest selling point for Kaby Lake is that it natively supports everything required for 4K HDR content all by itself. This doesn't really mean anything for people using discrete graphics, but it does mean that the laptops and things that most people will be buying will now have devices that can playback 4K HDR content, so we'll likely see 4K HDR adoption rates rapidly increase this year.

Kaby Lake is just Devil's Canyon 2.0.
They managed to tweak their buggy 14nm process a bit, they fixed some hardware bugs, and introduced a new media decoder to the benefit of their mobile SKUs. The only thing they did wrong was present it as a whole new generation of arch instead of the refresh that it is.

>when people who read popsci articles try to articulate ideas they can't fully grasp
Hoo boy.
Foundries are sticking with bulk silicon because each node is increasingly more expensive to bring online, sub 28nm was $3 billion+. and this is with guaranteed customers. Every new node shares a majority tooling with existing lines to reduce cost and time to market. Switching to a radically new material an entirely new substrate, would be an investment of tens of billions of dollars, and it would have uncertain results. They're not magicians and there is no rabbit to pull out of a hat.
SiGe is already widely used, and is introduced as a channel material in IBM/GloFo's 7nm SOI FinFET process. New high perf SOI is major progress, not that anyone on this board understands the difference or history of the two substrates.

It is logical to continue down this path, trending towards GAAs before considering gutting the entire basis of photolithography.

>Silicone
Ah yes. That must be why there are so many boobs on the internet.

>4k Netflix streaming
>Pentiums with Hyper Threading
>Unlocked i3
>DDR4-2400 support on the B250 and H270 mainstream chipsets
>Bigger OC headroom

Kaby Lake is a massive improvement over Skymeme.

>bragging about drm

I'm mulling this or the 6800k

Thing is I'm not sure in investing with a CPU with diminishing returns or an expensive platform that is almost obsolete

>X99
>Almost obselete
It's more capable than skylake and Kaby lake, both quad core maximum platforms with dual channel ram and limited PCIe lanes
Also the point of getting X99 is to get a balling CPU, most of which happen to destroy the 1151 CPUs in multithread and match them in single thread. A 6800k is just a 6700k/7700k with extra cores, but that *can* be a big deal

LGA 1151 is the only thing that's almost obselete here, you can expect the X99 market to stick around much longer than Z170/Z270, it's much more capable
At least until X299 or whatever the next upgrade is for that platform
X99 and Z170 are made for different CPUs and different demands, X99 is objectively better

Skylake has zero performance gain over Boardwell. Just buy a Boardwell-E and don't wait until August. If you are gonna wait at least wait until Zen comes out in March and (hopefully) AMD won't fall flat on their ass.

X99 only has PCIe 2.0. That's outdated shit.

>Intel chipset obsolete
But Intel releases a new chipset every generation

>Just buy a Boardwell-E and don't wait until August
Why?

>>Skylake has zero performance gain over Boardwell

My Skylake i3 easily reaches 4.8GHz, for $99. Why would I buy a Kaby Lake i3 with the same performance per clock, at 4.9GHz overclocked, for $177?

so if you need to o/c a 6700k to the same results, what happens if you o/c a 7700k?

Any guesstimates when the X99 successor will come out?

Hexacores should be the norm now

It will be X299
They've already said it will be only 4 cores for Kaby Lake X
6-10 cores for Skylake X, though

Late 2017

>they priced it cheaper though
Not seeing this on Newegg. Skylake is cheaper for now.

Looks like a 10% improvement across the board.

And given that I'm still packing my i7-920 it's going to be a huge upgrade.

Red pill me on the new intel jewery I am on 2500k. Should I Zen

Since intel don't discount thier old chips it will just replace the 6700k. Also where is the hate for AMD putting out slightly faster APUs for the past 5 years?

elitist fuck

I'll be getting one since I'm putting together my first build this year, one that is more than ready for 4K content. I feel like I'm getting meme'd but I also want that 5GHz OC for emulators and some older games.

Found a boob.

DDR4 though, that's gotta count for something.

c'mon guys. what are the results?

i'd never o/c a chip, too lazy

but i'd sure as fuck install the best that 4 cores could offer

I think there would be more hate if said APUs were the performance leaders for all of amd's processors.

HDR looks like trash

they hit 5ghz. that's a landmark and bodes well for 6 cores with soldered IHS's

>Unlocked i3
top kek. you might as well buy an ayymd FX

>i'd never o/c a chip, too lazy

presets are literally built into the bios. takes like 3 clicks of the mouse and hit save.

Not a whole lot when you have dual socket 2011 and have dual quad channels that can push 100GB/s.

Why the hell did intel drop quad memory: Who the fuck knows.

>mfw kaby lake is shit

Who the fuck cares about consumer low-end shit? There is no life under 8 (intel) cores.

I'm buying one. but I got a z270 mobo for 130 bucks cdn so that kinda balances out the cost. and I'm upgrading from the ole 2500k so pretty significant for me

broadwell e already has ddr4

I just want it to come out so I can maybe get a cheaper 6th gen already.

It came out today..... 8% gain I don't think any discounts are likely but maybe.

Oh it did? Nice. Either way I need it to hit a store near me or the prices will have 0% chance of shifting.

it's already on newegg

Some of us don't live in the US.

I've read compelling arguments that Intel planned to ditch 10nm/silcon acknowledging that Moore's Law is no longer sustainable and were switching to OQC but due to ongoing ECD bankruptcy proceedings they haven't been able to make the jump. This caused them to have to play catch-up on the 10nm process.

If this is true, INTC and MU will dominate all and both NVDA and AMD will get crushed (though many are speculating some form of buyout/merger of AMD and MU, though I don't particularly like it).

So, should I upgrade my haswell to skylake?

But it's still better than the 6700K right?

it is an upgrade, yes.

Unless there's a downside I'm not really seeing a problem then. It's not like it's super expensive.

How are they using SiGe? I can't imagine it's in patterned wafers so is it some deposition thing? To what end?

No alternative optoelectronic setup is made these days without patterning of some form.

Why the fuck is it the same price as the 6700K

just like every other advancement in cpu history

except now it's a bunch of guys who look forward to this stuff like it's the olympics.

small steps, not huge leaps, keep the tech industry moving forward

This reminds me of the move from Northwood to Prescott.

The box isn't even different.

Pentium 4 Damage Control edition was so hilarious.

Anyone else think it's odd that intel is treading water right before AMD drops their biggest CPU upgrade since the Athlon 64?

Are there any power usage benchmarks? I would like to see if they at least made it more power efficient, since at least that makes sense.

lmao

regale the millenialfags with stories bitte

At least wait for Zen.
Worst case is that it's awful and you buy kaby lake anyway.
Best case is that it's great and sends the prices of intel chips down.

Note that best case is not that Zen is better than kaby lake, just that it's good enough that it makes the intel prices look fucking stupid

I don't understand why these threads are necessary. It was known that kabylake was another 4790k in action. Intel has the luxury of selling better clocked versions of their current consumer line since their main competition is currently non existent. The moment you saw that they abandoned their tick tock bullshit is the moment when you knew it was just a shitty refresh. At least it has some HW decoding, what a piece of shit. Zen better deliver. I'll take their 8 cores option if it can hit 4GHz and it really has close if not better than Broadwell performance.

It may very well be better than babby lake.

Back in the old days intel was getting wrecked when AMDs Athlon was fucking the Pentium III, Intel was desperate so they had their R&D department work night and day.

AMD was nearing the 1 ghz barrier, and intel was scared that they were gonna get beaten to 1 ghz. So after working endless hours intels R&D team finally was able to develop the technology to to beat AMD to 1ghz, the paper launch.

(nothing was paperlaunched before the 1ghz pentium 3, which never really became available)

hooray

Why won't it be better than kaby lake?

Because AMD always managed to fuck up at least since Phenom days.

Times that AMD fucked intel out of nowhere:

Athlon
Athlon XP
Athlon 64
Athlon x2

And then they started fucking up. Repeatedly.

Phenom had a bug that didn't present itself until super late into the product cycle, phenom II was good but late, FX was a huge mistake

And they brought back the guy that fucked intel to design this processor, so...

He, praise Keller the certified shitwrecker. Also fuck Intel. Bunch of lazy cunts.

Once upon a time intel released a 1.4 ghz processor that was slower than their 933mhz processor and it cost significantly more and required ram that cost insane amounts of money, and required that you install ram in pairs.

They then switched sockets after about 6 months.

Tell me when they finally stop making mobile CPUs and create desktop CPUs that can fit in Laptops. If Nvidia can do it so can Intel.

Basic pattern recognition. Keller can only do so much with a broke-ass AMD.
Intel has more R&D funding than like 5 AMDs put together.

Intel R&D developed Optane. That is absolutely useless. Bravo Intel.

Intel also developed USB, which was also useless.
3d X-point has huge applications- as it's storage that's almost as fast as RAM itself.

The pattern you fail to recognize is Keller fucking up intel with a smaller team

Not if we inform people that at this point they can stick with a year old I7 and still achieve great results.

I'm not even going to waste time arguing with you.
When Zen comes out and it's exactly 10% worse than kaby lake you'll realise that I was right.

Note that it might not be exactly 10% worse, but it's going to be in that rough area.

And what if it's better?

>exactly 10% worse than kaby lake
>might not be exactly 10% worse

You mean you have to go to bed since you have have school in the morning. Goodnight kid, learn to not contradict yourself within 2 sentences next time

kek

If by better you mean 'more cost effective and overall a much better purchase', sure.

But if by better you mean 'better performance per core' then kek

Well it might be 9.9% worse and then you'd have grounds to say I was wrong.

Nigger you used the word exactly.

If you can't even understand the meaning of simple english words, why would you think that you can be an authority in the performance of CPUs?

They just demonstrated that with the 3.4ghz ryzen vs the 6900k

No, I am not talking about cost efficency. What if it's simply better? In every possible way?

And you're arguing with a complete lack of understanding of metaphor and hyperbole to avoid talking about Zen.

Pigs will be much harder to catch

Neither AMD, nvidia nor intel have ever exaggerated, cherry picked, or in any other way positively misrepresented their products in their marketing materials designed to promote their products before release.
Remember the 480? Better than the 980Ti!

>7700K

If you really wanted to go Kaby Lake you just get a 7600K and overclock it

Because AMD is there to disappoint.

They did fine last year. And yes, Keller usually delivers.

Ever since Haswell we only had shit

Igpwell
Skymeme
Baby Lake

>Sup Forums actually thinks diminishing returns = shit

Enjoy never being happy with a processor again.