I'm hopping off the Apple bandwagon, and am looking for another laptop to run Linux on. Are the Dell XPS 13" a good fit...

I'm hopping off the Apple bandwagon, and am looking for another laptop to run Linux on. Are the Dell XPS 13" a good fit, or are those overpriced as well? I want to see what sorta specs I've been missing out without the Apple tax. Mainly work with AWS, Python/Ruby. Everyone on YouTube keeps saying i5/i7 for the Core M isn't the same as regular i5/i7, which further confuses me. I thought i7 was the best? Currently running "2.7 GHz Intel Core i5", with "8 GB 1867 MHz DDR3".

Other urls found in this thread:

dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Yes.

Core M is the laptop versions of intel processors, but they are still good.

XPS 13 is a very good laptop. Go for it.

I've got a XPS 13 1080p developer edition with the new kaby lake meme
its honestly a good laptop

I'm planning on getting a XPS15. Just waiting to see if there's going to be a 2017 version to get it.
I still got my old piece of shit laptop that should still be good for the time being

dell.com/en-us/shop/productdetails/xps-15-9560-laptop

The site has gone up but you can't buy it yet.

with 2017 came an additional version of Dell XPS 13: XPS 13 2in1. It's foldable and features a core m7 which is weaker than i7, but Dell claims that the have an "updated model" that is "practically on the same level as an i7"

You can still buy the normal not-2in1 Dell XPS 13. It's the best laptop on the market.

Oh shit. Thanks user. I'll keep my eyes peeled

For the same money you can get an acer 21x with 2 gtx 1080 gpus and an i7 7700k with 128gb ram

You will miss your Mac.

My company made us switch to Dells after Mac wen full retard on dongles.

They feel so cheap and poorly put together compared to the MBP, and windows 10 is awful beyond words, i's downgrade to 7 if I was sure the drivers worked.

There's no going back after you have enjoyed the premium experience of a Mac/MacOS

Content adaptive brightness is really fucking annoying on the FHD version. Linux support is great though.

You're gonna want your Mac back the second you use that trackpad

Don't get this if shallowish-keyboard keys and a trackpad that clicks on the bottom part triggers your autism.
Older versions get coil whine either out of the box or a year or two down the line.
Don't fall for the touchscreen meme, it will be heavier and have less battery life
t. 9343 (XPS13 2015) owner of almost two years.

Not all laptop CPUs are the same. There is a U series, which is what most OEMs use and is inferior in every sense.

Then there's QM, which is what XPS and performance laptops (like Thinkpad P series) use and is about as good as it gets for laptops.

Coming from a MBP, you can't go wrong with an XPS.

This post reeks of shill.

Unless you buy the cheapest option available, you stop missing it completely, Macs have a nice finish and body, but they aren't any better because they use a different body and material from say a Dell or Thinkpad.

Personally, I wouldn't opt for an i7 unless you need it because you're not missing much. You are just wasting battery life AND money. I can't talk about the Dell at all, so my opinions don't matter.

I've played with some of the newer thinkpads though and thought they were pretty nice. (T450s, X1 carbon, or my personal favorite the X260) but they do sacrifice a little, but the keyboards still feel great. Since you are already used to chicshit, should be a nice transition.

HP's business line I hear has nice offerings as well, so if you can't pull the trigger on the dell, look at those

the XPS use U processors

I'm surprised at how expensive the xps 2 in 1 is.

I've been sick of apple's shit lately and have been thinking about replacing my mid 2010 MacBook pro with a linux machine but you don't save THAT much.

If you want anything with a QHD display and decent build quality you've gotta at least spend £1500. At that price you might as well bite the bullet an get a new MacBook pro.

What are my options for a linux laptop with QHD display, good battery life and enough CPU and RAM power to handle light front end dev work (Node, Docker) and general media consumption? Bonus points for light weight

>QHD laptop
>good battery life
Pick one

QHD laptop then

Sure get the Dell XPS 13" if you like coilwhine. That's the reason I returned mine.

XPS 15

>am looking for another laptop to run Linux on
>windows 10 is awful beyond words
>There's no going back after you have enjoyed the premium experience of a Mac/MacOS

So this post is basically "i have no interest in what you want but i'm so self absorbed that i came to the conclusion that you need to know that i like macs and only macs and i've tried windows and i didn't like it".

i understand shilling but you're doing apple a disservice by making it seem that it attracts users like you

Opensuse and canonical have lists of recommended Linux supported laptops
Theyre mostly lenovos hps and dells

sorry, should have mentioned it should be 13 inch

>QHD
>13"
RIP in piece your eyes

What's the bad thing about a hi res screen in 13 inch format?

>what is scaling