Lets talk about RISC-V boys

Lets talk about RISC-V boys
This is going to be one hell of a ride, a fully open source ISA, not the first time of course, but most the most significant with market ready prototypes

Other urls found in this thread:

planetanalog.com/author.asp?section_id=385&doc_id=561004
youtube.com/watch?v=gg1lISJfJI0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

because openarm was a successful thing too.

Looks really cool but it probably won't get any traction outside of free software foundation

It could make the basis for a fully open RPi competitor.

yea no one will invest a dime on that.

With no licensing costs and someone else to do the drivers, a Chinese company might pick it up.

This is much bigger than OpenARM though, it even has a dev board out right now. OpenARM was limited in a variety of ways

I wish it does though

How much would it cost to fab them on 28nm?

We need to make a 64bit RISC-V cpu that has no concern for power use and is 100% focused on the highest IPC possible. Pretty much all new CPU designs trade performance for being able to run in laptops and servers. There will be nothing left for desktop use from major vendors if the trend continues.

>How much would it cost to fab them on 28nm?

>Scott gave me some ballpark numbers on the non-recurring engineering (NRE) costs associated with a new device. At 28 nm, the design cost is $50 million to $90 million. Each mask set is $2 million to $3 million. If you're lucky, you'll get away with going through the mask creation process twice to get the design done. Not lucky? Then more iteration.

planetanalog.com/author.asp?section_id=385&doc_id=561004

What would you be running on riscv that would need higher than x86 IPC I'm pretty sure riskv is supposed to low power by design

They're already making "Arduinos" with it, rPi's arent that big of a stretch. What matters more is for all the software to get ported to RISC-V.

>design cost
I though this was open, whats up with that?

Its open source right and Linux already has riskv support so wouldn't you just have to recompile software

youtube.com/watch?v=gg1lISJfJI0

THANK YOU BASED NVIDIA

Linux has RISC-V support already?

what is risc-v? Something like vt-x set of instructions for x86?

It IS open, so ignore the design cost

Not in mainline yet but it does run on risc-v.

Virtualization for ARM - when?

RISC-V is merely a specification. Some of the implementations of the design are and will be open, some will be closed and proprietary. Which one you choose to use depends on your application and the costs of implementations vary wildly depending on your objectives.

i meant "some implementations of the specification"

True
It will be like ARM but without royalties that you will have to pay

>x86_64 - 3 compatible competitors
>PowerPC - 1 competitor
>general-purpose MIPS 6400 - 3 incompatible competitors
>ARM - over 9000 incompatible competitors
>RISC-V - over 9000 incompatible competitors
We are coming to an age of micro-architecture hell, /lad/ies and Sup Forumsentoolmen.

Typically you'd use OpenPOWER for that.

I don't know why IBM don't produce a desktop motherbord to promote their cpu arch

You wouldn't have to pay royalties to RISC-V but you could still choose to pay royalties to someone like ARM for one of their RISC-V cores.

Probably due to a lack of demand.

Wasn't that basically what PowerPC was?

and the high costs associated with producing hardware.

>but without royalties that you will have to pay
That and the fact that you are, in fact, free to make modifications without seeking approval.