Is high PPI a meme?

Is high PPI a meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

isthisretina.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Looks the same to me.

Are "memes" a meme?

PPI well beyond what the human eye can possibly distinguish without a powerful microscope is a meme for a regular display.

For an application like VR, where the display is being magnified to fit your whole field of vision, you're going to want a PPI that's completely fucking insane.

i prefer the top
the bottom looks too blurry to me, while the top's lines look sharp

It's not a meme but in my opinion it is more of a cosmetic improvement than one that solves a particular problem. That said high PPI displays are nice to use.

> not liking crisp fonts
The fuck is wrong with you?

1080p@60fps is the limit of human vision.

>use bitmap font
>6 pixels height
>low ppi
>perfect resolution
>tfw 5K iMac visualphiles use anti aliasing, inherent imperfection
>tfw they will never get on my level

My kd ration doubled since i use a 144hz monitor. Maybe you have only human vision.

Pretty much everything under 200PPI is noticeable cancer for everyone not semi blind on smaller screens. Also high resolution generally offers benefits due being able to display more information.

720p is a sweet spot for phones, 1200p for laptops and if you're a massive poorfag 1600p for desktop.

My phone is 1440p because fuck it why not

Pretty pointless waste of battery but I guess there is some benefit if you want VR meme.

as long as the panel consumes less than 30 degrees of your field of view

4K just reaches the human eye precision (to not put it in macfag buzzwords).

>gaymen kiddies thinking they know everything about science
b2picrelated

I own an LG G3 and VR is still pretty pixelated. You'd need a 5.5 inch 4K display to get quality VR comparable to a normal 23" 1080p monitor

Nope, high PPI is fucking great.

More and more developers are getting their shit together these days as well, so issues with scaling are becoming rare.

It depends on how close you are to the screen. 90 ppi from 2m is as good as 200 ppi from 20 cm.
isthisretina.com/

unfortunately except for the single most popular operating system in the world. my favorite part is that they've acknowledged it and don't give a shit.

use macos and ganoolinucks when at all possible. extinguish the software jew.

Now try CJK

Let me reformulate this point for you:

1. PPI is a meaningless metric because it tells you nothing unless you also know the viewing distance

2. The proper reference for comparing visual fidelity is pixels per arcminute (px/am), not PPI

3. Assuming a constant amount of px/am (which e.g. the ITU-R does for television), the resolution only affects the field of view i.e. size of the image on your retina, not how sharp everything looks.

Also, I strongly recommend using this site as a reference: That site pretty much outputs the optimal distance for ~1 px/am, which is about the limits of what the average human eye is capable of perceiving for general purpose usage (e.g. moving pictures, images)

Of course, people with good vision (e.g. above 20/20) can see even sharper details than that, but at some point you run into diminishing returns where it only helps for test patterns and tiny text, and brings you no more benefit for normal content.

This, high DPI text is much easier on the eyes.

If only GUI toolkits wouldn't suck so hard at abstracting pixels.

Goddamn, i knew g was full of contrarian wankers, but this really takes the cake

Muh fonts

Is having both high ppi and good scaling possible?

>4K just reaches the human eye precision
Do you even know what PPI means, retard?

Full HD fags absolutely BTFO

>tfw I use my phone at 50cm distance
feels good not being retarded

>tfw I need glasses for more than 30cm

Human eye can see 900 PPI at 12 inches, blindfag.

[citation needed]

>tfw I need glasses for more than 22cm