codingrainbow

>Frontend development
github.com/dypsilon/frontend-dev-bookmarks

>Backend development
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_application_frameworks
gist.github.com/dypsilon/5819528

>Useful tools
pastebin.com/q5nB1Npt/
libraries.io/ - Discover new open source libraries, modules and frameworks and keep track of ones you depend upon.
developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web - Guides for HTML, CSS, JS, Web APIs & more.
programmableweb.com/ - List of public APIs

>NEET guide to web dev employment
pastebin.com/4YeJAUbT/

>How to get started
pastebin.com/pDT82mQS
pastebin.com/AL6j7GEE

>cheap vps hosting in most western locations
lowendbox.com
digitalocean.com/
linode.com/
heroku.com/
leaseweb.com

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/index/GrV3uYh5
falter.madebywild.com/#en
threejs.org/
api.jquery.com/hide/
collinoswalt.com/bbs/
shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920000556.do
bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/mongodb-apocalypse-is-here-as-ransom-attacks-hit-10-000-servers/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

First for Go

js is powerful

Been tasked with making a website for a driving school. I can't think of what kind of design to go for, looking at what's already out there, they're quite cheap cheerful and image/colour heavy.

Anyone have any suggested designs?

do a good logo and just make some simple, clean and slick design

with big picture that i like
nice font too

IDK what to tell you, its not like a driving school needs some special design. Make a generic good looking webpage (considering youre getting paid you are able to do that) and slap a logo on it that doesnt look like its made from clipart, bam you have a website which is better than 99% of other driving schools

im not the dude being paid im just meeming desu

Alright thanks

I'm making a responsive website.

Using any browsers on my phone doesn't show backgrounds as fixed. Should I worry about maintaining an appropriate background size ratio for vertical scrolling on phones then?

>58357186

I'm an Ng-Fag myself but if its anything like Angular or any other MVC just use REST endpoints with sprinkles of xss and session Id to prevent yourself from getting rekt lad

FUCK, I meant

Making a poker game, just started on my deck/card "class", whaddya think? Is this even how I should code JS?
function CardDeck(){
this.cards = [];
return this;
}

CardDeck.prototype.addCard = function(card){
this.cards.push(card);
}

function Card(color, value){
return {
color: color,
value: value
};
}

var cardDeck = new CardDeck();

//Generate cards
for(var i = 0; i < 4; i++){
for(var j = 1; j

i just bought a meme-y domain name (i wanna do some messing around with react) but I'm not sure about email hosting, $5 a user a month seems like a fucking ripoff when i just want to have basic mail host and i think my i already have SPF records, can I host this shit myself on EC2 or something?

best language for deep web dev?

WordPress. Just do some shitty pre-canned theme. Driving schools are too uninformed to notice.

PHP. No JS

If you mean Tor then language is the least of your worries you want to read The Web Application Hacker's Handbook in order to not have your application get zerg'd by agencies or the vast amount of 'deep' web criminals which will try and get in to steal.

Also this advice by nacash pastebin.com/index/GrV3uYh5

>not using the new class syntactic sugar

Look into something like sendgrid or mailchimp. Usually they have some sort of free tier. You really don't want the massive asspain that is running your own email server (just ask Hilary).

You can run your own mailserver only problem is blacklist domains from spamhaus and shit. They routinely blacklist all kinds of hosts like Digitalocean or AWS so you're kind of forced to use existing services.

Fastmail is good as a gmail alternative though you can use countless other free email w/your domain too like Yahoo or just install openbsd default system and use OpenSMTPD as a mail server.

cheers guys

I got vroomjs to compile on Linux, if anyone seriously needs the binary (64 bit) I'll upload it somewhere sooner than later rather than sitting on it. In case you don't know, it's probably the only v8 binding that works as well on Linux as on Windows.

The next issue is I think it's possible react.net isn't actually loading the library. Considering react.net is probably what you want to use it with.

More or less my style.

Literally any backend framework that returns strings easy and can manipulate the headers is enough up to until you start wondering if your site needs seo.

Everything JS, make it difficult to tell what's backend and frontend code. Your co workers will love it.

I'm having a massive problem with hiding a form after it does an initial POST to submit data to MailChimp, and then subsequent GET to confirm the data that has been sent and check's if the person was already signed up or not.

I've tried doing at least a handful of things with jQuery and I'm not getting anywhere. Anyone have some resources I could look at to help me out? Google is rendering me anything useful.

You have been complaining about forms for like 3 days straight.

Why does nobody post their websites here?

We do. All the fucking time.
www.tfwnogf.com is one of mine.

mine is pretty sparse
just a minimal blog about tech stuff and my info, also a gogs server and pomf clone

>i just bought a meme-y domain name
I'm in the same position, but I need content ideas. What should I put on my extremely meme-y site?

So I'm making a simple site that uses ffmpeg to google image search frames of uploaded or linked videos.

It's written in django and will really only need bandwidth, but a fair bit of it.

What's a recommended hoster for this sort of thing?
I'm probably currently deciding between AWS, Heroku and pythonanywhere..

Additional question before I go to sleep:

Is it possible to send url parameters like '&time=100&redirect' in a POST html form?

>AWS
Enjoy $5000 bills

>Heroku and pythonanywhere
Memes

Try online.net dedicated servers, or scaleway if you want to cheap out.

action="?time=100&redirect"

How did they do this? The madmans. falter.madebywild.com/#en

>tfw my first web app to control a piece of hardware
granted it only turns LEDs on and off...

threejs.org/

RTFM

api.jquery.com/hide/

What's it called?
Actually it doesn't matter, everyone here is going to tell you to put weeb shit on it

>uses ffmpeg to google image search frames of uploaded or linked videos
That's going to put some load on everything, not just bandwidth. You need to actually download the video, but also ffmpeg is also going to take some cpu and mem to do its thing, especially with multiple concurrent videos.

Might be out of bounds for what you can do with the heroku free tier. And is right, AWS can get expensive quick. You might want to look into a VPS. DO is $5/month and you can find some cheaper ones if you want to hunt around a bit.

Also, iirc the google search api is pretty heavily rate limited in the free tier. You may end up needing to pay for that as well.

Cool idea though, good luck

Wanting to learn to web dev, just started using free code camp is that any good ?

The claims of getting you from neet to a job at a non-profit are mostly bullshit. It's a good place to start, but the only way to learn once you get the basics down is to actually make stuff, not just little code exercises. So be prepared for that.

Can anyone recommend some kind of JS client and server side web app framework that specifically comes with bindings to (or is built around) Amazon DynamoDB and other Amazon services such as S3?

something that abstracts away the database and API stuff as much as possible

>What's it called?

meme.army
Best fucken url ever. Now I need to know what to put on it.

Literal meme army. A community of meme creators (image + text tool). Attack specific targets on Twitter etc with memes. Voting on targets. Memester with the most likes (or replies) on Twitter wins the round, gets to influence next target.

Tell me /wdg/, Jquery or AngularJS ?

That's cringy as fuck. What a waste of money.

Really depends on what you need.

If it's for way simple ajax request and a few flashy things, jQuery. If it's for data-binding and actually taking advantage of having a back-end or close API work, AngularJS.

AngularJS is built on top of jQuery, personally I try to avoid using frameworks like React, Ember, etc. until I really have to. I prefer using jQuery as much as possible until the job in question is no longer feasible or is substantially harder for what I would have to build on top of it.

Thanks for the reply user! You just give me everything that I want to know!

>mfw no one in here knows competent html/css and yet is talking about jquery and angularjs

Lel, just make a few fucking boiler templates you dolts. Make some cash.

Wow user, great contribution! I'm glad you came into this thread with your fountain of knowledge and contributed to increasing the quality of the board with just a single post. What would we do without your sacred wisdom?

Make money with my wisdom, idiot.

Guys, what's the optimal amount of content in a layout?

On the one end of the spectrum, you have NY Times home page, on the other end, you have Medium.

How much does it affect users and clicks?

Depends

Take a UI/UX course, then make that decision.

collinoswalt.com/bbs/

html based console

I did take a course. I read lots of books and read blogs. I'm asking you, because I got some analytics results of the most popular news portal in my country and it seems that people don't scroll that much and it's better if you cram a shitton of content above the fold.

It's the exact opposite of what each UI book and blog thought me about. Why did I even learn anything, then??

>take dev test
>think I do really good.
>hear nothing back

"""""UI/UX""""" is mostly horse shit. The "optimal" amount of content in a layout depends on the overall design of the page, but ultimately it comes down to personal taste and really just doesn't matter all that much. Don't cram in so much that it's annoying to read or leave so much whitespace that you have to scroll a lot. Use your browser dev tools to tweak the css until you get something that looks readable.

not sure what it's supposed to do but it's not working for me.

any resume critique?
I know it's really underwhelming, but can it be enough for some positions? Aiming for full-stack or some back-end work.
money is getting low and have to start working soon.

all the white space at the top and bottom is some erased personal info.

It kinda hurts to hear that when you spent so much time on learning it, but I agree with it, at least partly.

I can't explain to you that there IS a lot more to it that isn't just "tweaking CSS until it looks good" in a single post, but it really DOES require a good amount of knowledge and practice.

But on the other hand, there probably are a lot of stuff which are pure pseudoscience, or which just doesn't work anymore.

Anyway, I feel betrayed. I had 3 courses on web design and UI/UX and spent a few full months on learning it (I'm not in the business, though). I feel like I just lost my time now and nothing actually works in a real world.

>do nothing but read about and occaisonlly fiddle wiht a couple different thigsn Im suposed to learn but never acutally make anything

gee i will be ready to get that job soon
tried making a portfolio but apparently it looked really bad

Any tips ona cutally consistently doing things and making stuff and getting practice?

I'm at the level of knowing js/html/css all pretty well and have read a good amount and tried doing a bit with php, and started reading into react (lots of job offers here)

I just never know what to actually try and make
(have made 2 decent js app things though)

>jquery still valid for a lot of routine UX work
>Angular organizing data binds
>mfw people don't know the difference.

>not putting suit in your Card Constructor

youre gonna have a bad time senpai

>es5

Ok I am using bootstrap if this changes anything, I want to have a carousel that has thumbnails at the bottom, the difference is, the carousel is not of images, but tables, and the user can highlight certain cells. I want the thumbnail to show (even if its small) the highlighted cells.

This hard to do?

Carousels suck, man. Don't use them.

Not everyone will be able to see clickable links (i.e if HR prints them out to hand them to someone) Have the actual, complete URL available.

It doesn't do anything rn, I'm just getting rendering to work

I'm not using it in a conventional way (3-5 banner images at the top of a website), but am open to a better solution, the app is using javascript and jquery. and is made up of anywhere from 1-10 grids of 10x10.

I need a way to be able to change between the tables, while retaining which cells the user chose to highlight.

Should I just add a link part at the bottom or have them right next to the hyper link?
i know it's a silly question

>Lel, just make a few fucking boiler templates you dolts. Make some cash.
Templates for what, how much will I make? can you give an example and the amount you made?

Honestly there are a few good nuggets, but it really is almost entirely common sense stuff and meaningless bullshit. It's hipster artfags, non-stem people, and marketers trying to inject themselves into the IT industry for them juicy tech bux without learning how to write code or run cable or admin sys'.

>I feel like I just lost my time now and nothing actually works in a real world.
Your feelings are accurate, then.

Really the main worthwhile thing from those kinds of courses is that you should consider how people are going to use your product. Figure out the 1 to ~4 most likely actions users are likely to take, and focus on making it really easy to do those things.

>Any tips ona cutally consistently doing things and making stuff and getting practice?
Yes: constantly do things and make stuff and get practice. Set aside time every day and just work on it. There's no shortcut.

>I just never know what to actually try and make
$popularWebsite clone
Game
Data Visualization
CRUD app related to viewing/purchasing/creating content related to some media e.g. games, movies, books, hentai, pokemon, recipes, whatever.

The only thing I can't understand is why are UI/UX positions so well paid and why are people with those skills needed right now.

And all those big YT channels, blogs, websites like A List Apart and Smashing Magazine, psychology doctors etc. - what are they? Why are they so big and popular, why does so many content exist out there? Is it all bullshit or is it just what people outside of the industry think?

I've seen Google also talking a lot about their UI/UX processes, it seems important, but a lot of people also say it's a pure horseshit and common sense.

I don't know who to believe in anymore, but I certainly don't believe my professors.

Put the table in each slide instead of an image, give the table the class 'slide-table' (can be anything).

The code you then want is along this lines (can't be bothered to test this so it may not be 100%)
$('.slide-table td').on('click', function()
{
$('#thumbnai-div').html($(this).html());
}
);

May be trickier if the slideshow element you're doing has it's own click event but you can still use that code and just have the slideshow's event handler do nothing.

Any of those udemy courses worth a shit wdg? Or any good must have web dev books?

Shit like ng-book, react, eloquent JS, are good. Udemy courses vary in quality. I often find they're useful after you know what you're doing with the framework and trying to learn nook and cranny shit, otherwise most of the time they microscope in on a lot of useless shit that doesn't really benefit you're overall learning.

Any opinions on this book?

shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920000556.do

"Designing Interfaces, 2nd Edition
Patterns for Effective Interaction Design"

"UI/UX" is a meme, and I mean that in the Richard Dawkins sense of the word, not the Sup Forums one. (but also the Sup Forums one.)
There used to be a job called "designer" (web designer, print designer, etc) but at some point someone started to try upselling the "designer" role by being a "designer that uses psychology to influence user behavior and increase sales or conversions or something, probably" (aka the /UX part) and therefore justify a higher salary. The programmers say "Whatever, sounds like bull, but I don't know enough about this stuff to dispute it, and if it means I don't have to deal with CSS, I"m in". The money people say "This will make me more money? And/or I can convince other people that it will make them more money? I'm in. Then everyone started drinking the kool-aid and memeing it into job descriptions and the rest is history.

>And all those big YT channels, blogs, websites like A List Apart and Smashing Magazine, psychology doctors etc. - what are they? Why are they so big and popular, why does so many content exist out there?
It exists because people watch/read it. Same as everything else. Just because something is popular on youtube and magazines doesn't mean it's not buzzwords and bullshit. If anything, the more popular something is, the more saturated with bullshit it gets.

>Is it all bullshit or is it just what people outside of the industry think?
It's not *all* bullshit, it's a few good insights mixed with common sense mixed with bullshit mixed with stuff that's not bullshit exactly, but so ineffectual in the real world as to effectively be bullshit.

>I've seen Google also talking a lot about their UI/UX processes
Because google never peddles bullshit, right?

>udemy courses
Some of them are good. Protip: if you see one you like (and it isn't free) put it on your wishlist and after a couple weeks you'll usually get a substantial discount on the course. Like with steam, you should almost never pay full price.

>web dev books
You can learn everything online for free and usually it's more up to date and better quality if you want to hunt a bit for it. There are some good books around though. I'd recommend Eloquent JS, Clean Code, The Pragmatic Programmer, The Design of Everyday Things, Code Complete, SICP. Most of those are general programming books, not web dev specific, but there's certainly a lot of overlap.

Glad I'm learning about this early. Oh well, 2-3 months spent reading many UI books was probably useless, but I hope I got some experience from it anyway.

Honestly, this thought hit me recently when I realized that despite my great will to help people with their design decisions, not everyone seemed to give a fuck, some even thought I was trying to get them mad (???) with my explanations (which I read from books).

I like design and enjoy designing things, but now I think I'll completely stop going down this path and focus on something else. Maybe continue developing my frontend or backend skills or something else.

I have a table, I want to overlay it with a transparent wrapper, and over the transparent wrapper have a textbox with a solid background.

How do I do this

Cool thanks for the suggestions user.

Awesome, thanks to you too.

I got some gift cards to get rid of so I was wanting some good books. I was asking about udemy because apparently they got some shit on sale right now and I didn't want to get fucked over by some garbage instructionals. I use to have access to a Lynda account and some of their instructioals are just garbage. I was wanting to know if any of these were any good.

Make the transparent div full height and width of the container, with position:absolute. Position the text box in the transparent div like you would any other.

Seem to remember this sort of thing being a pain though so you're just going to have to play with position, display, overflow, top,left, height, width properties until you get it right.

I've currently learning and working on my first PHP/Symfony3 project and i have an... interesting problem, the login view get's rendered twice while not logged in, see pic related.
Everything else functions as it should and i have no other problems, but idk how to solve this and it infuriates me because i'm an autistic OCD fag.
The problem can be solved by editing the security.yml and removing the access control, but that's no option for obvious reasons, here's a part of my security config:

firewalls:
default:
pattern: ^/
anonymous: ~
form_login:
require_previous_session: false
check_path: login
login_path: login
csrf_token_generator: security.csrf.token_manager
#failure_path: /road_to_nowhere
logout:
path: /logout
target: /

access_control:
- { path: ^/login, role: IS_AUTHENTICATED_ANONYMOUSLY }
- { path: ^/, role: ROLE_USER }

Is being just a frontend dev shtity?
What about frontend + design?
If I need to go fullstack, how much frontend knowledge is enough before I can focus on learning backend.

>Is being just a frontend dev shtity?
No
>What about frontend + design?
Pretty much mandatory
>how much frontend knowledge is enough before I can focus on learning backend
Basically none. You need to know about http and whatnot obviously.

Would it be a bad idea to host my wannabe designer portfolio on GitHub for free and make it visible under the hood?

Why would it be?

>Is being just a frontend dev shtity?
>No
Ah, welcome, mister. How may I help you today? What's that? A website? Sure thing, that'll be 5$. Namaste.

Wordpress monkeys aren't devs

I'm sorry sir but I'm a certified Wordpress Developer

Well, frontend guy wouldn't do a backend anyway, right? So what if he uses wordpress and makes a completely custom template on top of it?

They would be the equivalent of a copywriter. Check out what a copywriter is and they share a similar parralel.

bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/mongodb-apocalypse-is-here-as-ransom-attacks-hit-10-000-servers/

MEANfags btfo yet again

Let's say I wanted to make a BBS type site that you access entirely through a command line application. I don't even want the site to be accessible from a web browser. Would it still make sense to leverage http tooling and build a traditional backend on an http server? It should be possible to embed a key or something in the command line client that wouldn't be present on a web browser which could be included in the request to make sure there's no response unless you access it from the intended client, right?

>running a legitimate website
>not having multiple backups of your db

Guess I'm right, since no replies. I'll say it again. I don't see anything really bad about using a wordpress for some sites (where it is a good choice!) and coding a frontend by yourself.

Probably easiest to just use a REST framework as the backend.

so I have a variable in js set with a default value that later changes after clicking a button

the problem is every time a change is triggered with a slider the variable resets back to default value why is doing this?

Well if they had any sense at all they wouldn't be using fucking mango dee bee now would they?

>Well, frontend guy wouldn't do a backend anyway, right?
Depends on the job. Sometimes you're expected to do a little bit of everything, sometimes you're strictly one or the other. You should at least have a general knowledge of what's happening on the other side though. A frontend dev that gets intimidated by the thought of doing backend stuff is probably pretty shitty, and vice versa.

>So what if he uses wordpress and makes a completely custom template on top of it?
>I don't see anything really bad about using a wordpress for some sites (where it is a good choice!) and coding a frontend by yourself.

There's (arguably) nothing _wrong_ with using wordpress in some situations, it's good at what it does, which is let normies manage content-based websites without having to touch any of that scary code. And of course some people (most of them in south asian countries) only make wordpress themes as their entire job. It's just that making actual web applications and making wordpress themes aren't even in the same ballpark of complexity (and payscale), generally. In other words, yes it's fine, but if you go bragging about it to "real" devs, they're not going to respect you.

Post code, baka.

Wordpress lacks scalability.

It's the same reason why people don't use Meteor, Ionic, or React Native, because there's a diminishing point where wordpress runs out of viability in becoming a focus for a front-end product and can be easily scaled by companies who spent the proper time in resources in investing in their own applications using frameworks that have proven exponential results.