>install them
>literally everything breaks
>not a single python program is running correctly

Why the fuck do I run this meme OS?

Other urls found in this thread:

docs.python.org/3.6/whatsnew/3.6.html
aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrade/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because you don't use your computer to do real work.

I had the exact same updates. Everything is working fine.

All packages breaking is way better than 10% breaking. It means there's a simple issue.

This
also lts

Works on my machine

>my machine tm

>All packages breaking is way better than 10% breaking. It means there's a simple issue.
spoken like a true arch autist

I run arch since 1 year and never had problems with updates. If something breaks just downgrade.

> wake up
> didn't update for a month
> -Syyu
Werks memechinetm

Correct.

Cool story. If Arch were a competently maintained distro you wouldn't have spontaneous breaks on anyone's machine.

This kind of shit happens to my machine every couple of weeks.

inb4

>muh bleeding edge

Updated last yesterday.

>>not a single python program is running correctly

Did you file any bug reports?

>Because you don't use your computer to do real work.
Define real work

>Updated last yesterday.
Do it again.There was another python update this morning.

> I expected the newest packages to be 100% stable after 1 day
Please pay oxygen tax

>Why the fuck do I run this meme OS?- 13 posts shown.
It happeend to me.

Not even my DE would start.

yt-dl wouldn't work

my custom scripts wouldn't work

nothing fucking worked until I rolled it all back

python3.6 was the worst fucking "update" I've ever experienced.

fuck off
arch is too good for you
install the botnet and play muh gamez all day

>I accept every update wrecking my system
please start prepping the bull.

no, you don't understand, you have to read 3-4 hours of mailing lists. that's the "proper" way to get the "package manager" to "work" but it's a positive thing if it suits you because it soaked up all your worthless time so you don't think too much and pull the trigger

stupid memes nothing more
arch works fine if u know what u are doing
kys

No I mean I updated this morning and yesterday. I'm up to date.

I should pay oxygen tax for once believing that having the "newest packages" is a good thing. I fell for the Arch meme hard.

Just because Arch is a pain in the ass doesn't make it l33t.

Any knee-sock-wearing tranny can follow Archwiki's install instructions to get their """""""minimalist""""""" distro. It's not special.

Pic related. Even Jewbuntu is more bearable than Arch.

Sucks to be you. I use arch for more than 6 months now, and so far had no breakages. It is most pleasant linux experience I had in my whole linux career, and that's 8+ years. Literally just running sudo pacman -Syu (aliased to upgrade) every few days and enjoying stable and up to date system.
Have you considered, that maybe you are the problem here?

I updated python and nothing broke. Stop being bad.

Same here
never had any problem with arch

Name one actual, non-meme advantage of Arch.

It's not convenient. It's not stable. The actual repositoties keep redundant and markedly *non*-minimalist code.

It's just a status symbol on Sup Forums, or at least it used to be before people started realizing how shitty it was.

jesus christ just use a 3rd party installer and stop being so butthurt

>hurr durr arch user have no life
>makes countless stupid memes about arch

>arch works fine if u know what u are doing
you're a moron. python3.6 literally broke 100s of packages in AUR and community. None of them have fixes that you can easily install. The only solution ofr most of them is to patch each one of them by hand.

there's nothing easy about that and wasting your time on that shit is not a meme.

and there's no way around it no matter how 1337 you fucking think you are, shit for brains.

Sounds like I should switch to Arch.

It's the best Linux for gaming.

When you actually have to get real work done on a machine running a fragile meme distro, your soul would burn with passionate hatred for Arch too.

Sounds like you should hate yourself for lying on the internet about getting work done.

>real work
>real work
>real work
what real work faggot
u can do anything that you could do with other distros or windows and even more

I wanted a custom system riced to my workflow on my work desktop. I installed Arch because it didn't come with any frills.

Then every other week a printer driver would break, or LaTeX code couldn't compile, or gtk tools crashed and now this.

in order to properly attack arch linux you need to have seen stoners try to argue that a movie or show is funny but you just have to get really high first. completely wrong of course, but when you get enough of them together, they all think it happens, and the meme is started and none of them ever watch it sober, but they will still "recommend" it to people and perpetually be unable to figure out why nobody else likes it.

arch really is better, if you are an autistic piece of shit. ubuntu will indeed break if you try to do everything yourself since you're fighting all the automation which other parts of the system rely on. this is how this information is posted, that they've never had arch break, and ubuntu always does... FOR THEM. an arch shit will call chrooting in (through ubuntu lol) "maintenance" and very much does not see a problem disabling all of the stuff ubuntu needs and then genuinely doesn't understand why it breaks all the time.

if you shoot yourself in the head just right, it's possible that for a short time you might experience pleasure because you hit the correct area of your brain in a perfect way. what an arch user tries to do every second of his existence is to insist that you wouldn't die afterwards doing this.

Imagine being intelligent and knowing all of this, knowing that you are fucked in society, you can never hold any kind of job or start your own business because deep inside you know you are a failure. Upon realizing this, half will just instantly kill themselves, but the other half will seek out some circlejerk system where they can pretend for 20-30 years. However after that time they will become tired of even this and join the first half in the same way.

arch linux is prolonging suicide by creating fake work for yourself, it is a suicide note that takes 30 years to write.

Then stop using it and stop complaining.

>spent 25 minutes making it
>posted over 2000 times in 6 years
>each posted instance causes 2 - 3 arch users butthurt, and the board at large to know it's a timesink
I'd say this was time well spent

If that's how you want to fantasize about it

I will. I'm switching to a minimal Debian install. But I have to relentlessly shitpost about it because:

1) Archcucks deserve mockery
and
2) Newfags need to see my shitposting and know that Arch is just a meme distro

Wise words.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Arch is a gamer OS. You're supposed to play video games on it with the latest libraries and api's like Vulkan. If you want to do "real work," install Scientific Linux before your research grant is taken away.

Odd, because there is literally no recent mention of python breaking anything in the forums.

I seriously hope you didn't actually type this.
>ubuntu will indeed break if you try to do everything yourself since you're fighting all the automation which other parts of the system rely on.
No, Ubuntu is broken without doing anything on every release for good few years now. Every release they push out unpolished turd just to meet their shitty deadlines. If you are fine with error windows that don't even fucking state what went wrong popping right and left then I guess Ubuntu is for you. I'm actually suprised there are people who defend this garbage after everything Canonical did to ruin this distro. I guess that's what happens when you are new and need to defend the only thing you know.

Why should anyone use a distro that requires participation in a web community and public bug tests just to maintain basic functionality?

>>posted over 2000 times in 6 years
>>time well spent
Something,something,BMI something, kys lard-ass.

It doesn't require anything more than at least two brain cells to rub together. I swear the forum exists solely for Manjaro users trying to pretend they're using Arch.

>Then stop using it and stop complaining.
what, I'm not allowed to complain and point out deficiencies and ways to improve?

and I don't want to switch distros because I'm too lazy and know Arch the best. but it's an undeniable fact that Arch breaks too much shit too often.

ps: I'm not this guy. why he's impersonating me I don't know.

the "oh you don't HAVE to use it" psuedo argument essentially means "I've lost" since in the previous thread, they were raving about it and wouldn't shut up.

Nobody cares what you use, we care when you:
-make threads saying how superior you are to everyone when you're not
-try to "convert" windows/mac users willing to give linux a try, you do this ironically for attention knowing full well they will hate it, so you can get attention from them because you mistakenly think they are saying you're smart. This is why in 2017 and still past 2008 for that matter you see people saying "I tried linux and it sucked bad, I will never try linux again"

asking what distro they tried, answer literally every time is
>arch
>slack
>gentoo

they are the unemployed, they have too much time and always get to them first, and they're lost for at least 10 years now because they think all linux is like this

Not my fault you have a shit time with a good distro.

>asking what distro they tried, answer literally every time is
>>arch
>>slack
>>gentoo
What is it you want to see? Those distros are what many of us use. Who named you the distro police?

Arch tried to show me a good time, it took me to a nice restaurant in a good neighborhood but then it thought it should let me order my own food, I was highly offended.

I'm still waiting for someone to give ONE reason that makes Arch worth using.

I'm an arch user. I love these images. Thank you for making me laugh.

Rolling release is the only reason to use it, if you don't care about that I don't know why you would bother

in all the time you guys spend complaining about arch users, you could easily learn how to use arch.

No matter how hard you try to pretend that you're doing the right thing by making them "learn linux", it is a catastrophic mistake for anyone's first distro to be one of these. Especially if you don't have a CS background.

Old RTS I used to play, had a race that was really hard to play competitively unless you knew all the tricks. 90% of the community would always talk to noobs saying "do not pick this one as your first race". the other 10% were the biggest players of that race and would say "You SHOULD learn this race first BECAUSE it IS so hard. It will really kick you into gear quick."

The difference is in this game even these radical race users would always end saying "But if it turns out it's too hard for you, try the other races and come back to this one later."

linux community does not do this. which is why we still cannot drop this "hard to use" stigma. they insist that slack, arch, gentoo are not only just alternatives but the best. after failing miserably at these, most people have it in their heads that ubuntu, debian, et al are even worse than the others, projecting that they are super-timesinks, because arch was supposed to be "the easiest". due to the way that people are, they will spend years thinking this and even if you prove to them that they got this information from some total retard, they will not forget those "years". This is what we are trying to prevent.

>>asking what distro they tried, answer literally every time is...
>tried
>TRIED
Again,what is it you want to see? Those distros are what many of us use. Who named you the distro police?

That's true of any distro that has a minimal install which can be...

wait for it...

...literally any distro.

The people who hate Arch most are those of us who have used it for years.

I like arch and I'm using it for a while but at one time shit will break. The update of libreadline just fucked the system on my laptop. There is no wiki page for recompiling a kernel on an encrypted lvm volume sadly.

chroot with a live disk?

i've used arch for 5 years and I don't have many complaints.

>Retorts to "I don't have problems" with "well I do!"

That isn't a case against Arch. That's a case against you.

>using Debian
>ever

I post here assuming that every Archcuck on Sup Forums is a power-user who watches anime, wears knee socks and doesn't actually do anything on their Arch systems other than rice and shitpost.

So I don't expect people who just use vim, htop, screenfetch and occationally tmux on their machine to have any problems with Arch updates.

>I accomplish nothing debian and gentoo haven't already done. There is nothing special about me except for a horrible document detailing how hipster and elitist my userbase is and a ricey looking logo, and the fact that I'm a true rolling release binary based distribution and a major bugfest with poorly maintained repositories. Which distro am I?

pasta-distro, pasta-gentoo, pasta-debian

DEBIAN IS SHIT

You are all completely stupid. Debian is outdated and insecure. More over, it's just a noobuntu spin that was made to attract power users. All it's maintainers are SJW and the distro is sponsored by jews and the liberal media.
The Debian project shows through it's public statements and manifests that it's clearly no aligned with the moral Christian values that made the US the great nation it came to be.
It's degenerate.

Arch Linux is superior to it in every way. It has bleeding edge packages, what means more stability and security, since you get all the last bug fixes.
It's rolling release, it doesn't randomly breaks during version updates.
It's also more configurable and extensible. On overall you just have more control over your computer.
Anyone that is serious about their OS uses Arch.

Python is a meme. The way the handled the backwards incompatibility is so retarded. Almost everything could be done by deprecating the old shit and a version flag that hides deprecations for the luddites with their legacy software.

>print is now a function, not a statement, and using it as statement will result in an error,
Show a deprecation warning if it's used as a statement.
>various functions & methods now return an iterator or view instead of list, which makes iterating through their results more memory-efficient (you do not need to store the whole list of results in the memory),
create a new module for this shit and show a deprecation if somebody uses the old crap
>cmp argument for sorting functions like sorted() and list.sort() is no longer supported, and should be replaced by key argument,
Again show a deprecation warning when somebody doesn't use it correctly.
>int is now the same as Python 2.x's long, which makes number processing less complex,
Fucking deprecate int.
>/ operator is now an operator for true division by default (you can still use // for floor division),
I don't get it. math.floor(x/y) is easy enough.
>text in Python 3.x is now Unicode by default,
This could be handled with a pragma that you manually place at the top of the file which determines whether unicode is the default. If there is no pragma show a deprecation warning.
>True, False and None are now reserved words (so you are not able to do True, False = False, True,
Again show a deprecation warning for those retards.
>exceptions are required to be derived from BaseException, must be raised & caught differently than in Python 2.x,
Introduce new keywords and deprecate the old ones. If the exception doesn't derive from BaseException show a deprecation warning.

All of this could have been handled easily and they could have gradually remove the deprecated features in the backwards incompatible version.

Not reading the releases notes as usual. u_u

I don't know anything about software development. The post.

Yes, I can tell you don't know anything about software development.

last time I unironically read release notes was the late 90s for a video game

there are no such things as release notes, or mailing lists anymore, except for distro luddites who want to jerk off and pretend it's decades past

we have these things called "forums"

>oh but they're not shit like mailing lists I just want to be a faggot but won't admit it and have to shit it up for everyone else

>woke up this morning
>pacman -Syu like I do every day
>everything still works

Maybe you're just gay, I heard that could happen with python if you're gay

Arch is great but you have autism and need to stop

t.debian-fanboy

lol @ debian, its only slightly less noobier than ubuntu, fucking hipsters ruining linux, wow what a baby, apt is 4 losers who dont have 2+ weeks to set up everything by hand and then get a superior system also the packages are ANCIENT, 4 days old almost, and they actually are stable and work. fuk that shit, it brings linux to the masses and makes it easy when we all know its supposed to be about pretending to be neo. debian is 4 hipsters who think ubuntu is 2 mainstream, they just use linux because they think it makes them look cool to their retarded friends, not like us at all, we are REAL hackers, fuck debian hipsters, fuck n00buntu newbs, arch 4 life!

Typical Arch users

>that feel when some asshole finally gets around to fixing that 3 year old bug everyone else had gotten used to exploiting and the update literally breaks everything
working with software is fun

>no such thing as release notes

docs.python.org/3.6/whatsnew/3.6.html

You are a dumb nigger.

>you wouldn't have spontaneous breaks on anyone's machine
Unfortunately, no OS can fix your stupidity

>my custom scripts wouldn't work
Obviously you are a shitty coder

>yt-dl wouldn't work
AUR is unsupported

>The people who hate Arch most are those of us who have used it for years.

No, the people who hate Arch the most are those who tried to install it to be in the cool kid's club on Sup Forums but couldn't since they removed the Beginner's Guide on the wiki.

>Show a deprecation warning if it's used as a statement.
That's not how parsers work you dipshit.

>create a new module for this shit and show a deprecation if somebody uses the old crap
That's what they did for Python 2 for backward compatibility

>This could be handled with a pragma that you manually place at the top of the file which determines whether unicode is the default. If there is no pragma show a deprecation warning.
from __future__ import unicode_literals

>Again show a deprecation warning for those retards.
That's not how parsers work you dipshit

>Introduce new keywords and deprecate the old ones.
That's retarded as fuck

>there are no such things as release notes, or mailing lists anymore
This isn't even true in the web "dev" industry, let alone real software dev. It's like you're lying out of your parent's basement.

The Beginner's Guide was useless, it was just the Installation Guide with all of the important details stripped out and replaced with baby talk.

>use windows
>-socialize

>sudo zypper dup
>127 packages updated
>everything just works

idk python is a beatiful language imho

for i in suites:
if len(dictionary[i]) >= 5:
check = straight(dictionary[i])
if check == True:
if sorted(dictionary[i], reverse=True) == royal:
print('royal flush')
else:
print('straight flush')
else:
print('flush')

>check = straight(dictionary[i])
>if check == True:

new programmer but you just taught me something new!

if straight(dictionary[i]) == True:

>using bloated os

Still not quite there buddy

if straight(dictionary[i]):

does that make it less readable though because then they need to see that function to know it's returning a boolean where if i keep true it's more obvious it's checking for a boolean value?

Anyone having trouble with python scripts not running on arch after the huge python 3.6 switch
downgrade harfbuzz from 1.4.1-1 to 1.3.4-1

easiest way is using downgrade utility
aur.archlinux.org/packages/downgrade/

and then just in terminal

downgrade harfbuzz

Not sure who is affected, maybe its because of infinality fonts

oh, it should be mention that its python scripts that use Qt gui

It's extremely readable that way... Try reading it:
>if straight(..):
>>do this

It makes a whole lot more sense than
>if straight(...) equals True:
>>do that

It's pretty obvious the function will return a boolean and it doesn't actually matter if it returns a boolean since Python considers None, 0, '', [], etc all to be false, and conversely it considers object(), 1234, 'it is a flush', ['omg you win'], etc all to be true.

If anything the problem is the python/qt devs who can't make their software upgrade smoothly