>For anything ever

Why the fuck would anyone do this?

Please explain

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2h6seJ3xjWA
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

What are the alternatives?

because it just works
I don't have the time to mess around with shitty python libraries written by basement dwelling losers in their spare time

>be egineering student
>think of buyng matlab
>copy is only like 30£
>"fuck yeah, software that people can afford!"
>buy it, happy that they're not charging cancerous prices
>every single useful feature is part of a 15£ addon pack

I fucking hate Matlab. It's literally inexcusable that a program/language written for scientific computing can have the possibility of integer overflow without notification.

But, I have to use it for school, so...

Octave, free.

Students should get MATLAB for free through their academic institute or using academic credentials.

What do you think people do in Matlab? Writing applications, doing high performance computing?

No, it's just a very convenient tool to do abstract models of whatever and has a lot of engineering toolboxes which make modelling physical systems easier.

In short:
>2017
>Still thinking people use for loops in Matlab
>For anything ever

Matlab makes creating IIR/FIR filters a breeze! If you format your output correctly you can even have MATLAB print your coefficients in a way that can be copy pasta'ed right into C code!

wtf I love matlab now

every engineering student I know has had to use it including me.

The. Only. Reason.

when you're a math major you don't have much of a choice

>being an engineer in the current American economy

Octave, shit, and incompatible. aka free.

You're sure going to love FORTRAN.

Anyway, why would you need to use anything other than doubles in MATLAB or Octave?

It's mostly compatible one way. Running MATLAB code in Octave almost always works fine, in fact incompatibility is treated as a bug in Octave. The other way doesn't necessarily work though as Octave adds some features like # for comments, += -= ++ -- operators, and more temporary objects like [1 2 3](2).

This

Python can be a complete shitshow sometimes

>Using matlab for pure math

WHY

Matlab is based on fortran (it runs calculations in compiled fortran)

Mathlab is far more stable than Octave in my experience. Although between the two I'd rather use neither.

Personally I prefer Mathematica.

I want reviewbrah to review my wife's pussy.

>1. In the real world you often need to pass your MATLAB code back and forth to customers etc. Octave still has huge problems with compatibility which makes it invalid here

>2. MATLAB has a buttload of toolboxes that Octave has no equivalent of

python, r

not OP, and i mostly use python and r, but matlab has a different use case overlap than r and python (although if you know matlab you should almost certainly pick up python and maybe r as well).

python is a really great jack of all trades with some additional domain expertise in data analysis, visualization, and a bit of straight up number crunching. r is the de facto stats language for everyone not using SAS or excel or something, but i wouldn't really use it for other stuff.

matlab does more general complex numerical computing. it has a lot of favor in the straight up math community, but it's too much for people that are just using mathematics as a means to an end.

i mean this is all splitting hairs, but we have a rich enough community of languages that we can be picky and even nit-picky about the best language for a given job.

>be engineer
>have to make some code to solve a problem or do some modelling
>open Matlab, finish your work in half an hour, call it a day

I know you guys like to waste several hours making 'proper code' in some meme language, but some people just want things done and fast.

name one IDE/text editor as good as matlab's

Matlab gas loss of useful toolboxes.

>has lots

What the fuck, phone.

MS paint

You just can't make it through modern engineering without MATLAB.
But only after you've finished C.
Your professor should provide you with a reasonable amount of help to get you through MATLAB.
There are online courses from Dr. Billy v Koen which I'd recommend.

youtube.com/watch?v=2h6seJ3xjWA

It's perfekt if you have a dataset and want to visualize it or do some easy calculations.

R tho

Cryptography

Mech Engineer here. My particular job never calls for Matlab, but it was used in school, mostly because they made us use it. Any student not getting it for free through school who DOESN'T just pirate it deserves to lose their money.

Also, Matlab is really useful for shit like Simulink. It's also an easy scripting language in general.

I use MATLAB for work to do some modelling, but recently I'm trying to switch to Spyder, it's free and can do exactly the same shit faster (no idea why).

I use scilab...

Electrical engineering student here. Our mandatory "Intro to CS" class I took freshman year introduced us to functional languages using Matlab. It was an absurdly easy and useless class, and though I use Matlab to create pretty charts for research data and SPICE results, I learned little that could be applied to real programming.

Now they're switching all of the CS intro courses to Python [spoiler]and Scheme[/spoiler] which will probably be much better.

>Mathlab
>more stable than Octave
Can you explain how a language can be more stable than another language without being autistic? Mathematica is a symbolic math program like MAPLE and maxima, not comparable to MATLAB even with symbolic addons. is right, main reason to use MATLAB as of right now is because there's a lot more tools. Octave is making big strides to compatibility though, check version 4.2.0 out. I just use Julia for most scientific computing due to interoperability with a wide range of solvers, if MATLAB/FORTRAN isn't the defacto standard that is.

I know python and R, but they aren't the same as MATLAB. MATLAB has some stupid behaviors (eg. For script files, the first function's name must be the same as the filename), but it has commands and behaviors that are really easy for dataparsing (eg. xlsread, being able to read in strings, numbers, and raw all at the same time, etc.). That being said, I only use it because of work.

I believe MATLAB is reminiscent of older languages such as FORTRAN.

>matlab does more general complex numerical computing

Could you elaborate on this?

>matlab has a lot of favor in the straight up math community

Why is this the case?

>Being a nigger

>Spyder
Is that an IDE or a language?

Can you compile it?

I've tried to install and use some advanced packages in Octave that pre-installed in MATLAB but haven't succeeded, because pf too many bugs.

Julia
Scheme
Lisp
MatLab
Mathematica
Maple
Python
R

Do all these languages do basically the same?

It's an IDE for python.

Better than PyCharm(?)

i use scilab

Doubt it. But it's good for me.

Boi you messed up.
is right. I got it all for free, you just need a .ac.uk email.

The amount of free shit you get as a student is incredible, particularly STEM students because you actually use software and lol other courses don't even get dreamspark half the time they're so poor.

I honestly believe mathematica is better for all use cases except matrix math. I have seen way too many engineers here at my uni only learn matlab and then get truly memed into thinking it is a real programming language, and start trying to develop applications and write really complex "code" in it. Sickening.

muh matrix calculus
muh DE algorithms

Its toolboxes are quite sophisticated (especially Simulink) and saves you a ton of time in generating "proof of concept" for algorithm or ideas

It "just werks", and it's fast if you understand how to write vectorized code

Most complaints come from fresh undergrads who either have an autistic fascination with "real" languages or from people who write MATLAB code as if it was C