What's the oldest usable version of operating systems for standard use?

What's the oldest usable version of operating systems for standard use?

>Windows: XP or Vista
>macOS: Snow Leopard/Tiger (10.6/10.7), pic related is 10 years old, but still fairly usable
>Linux-Distros: I don't know

Debian Stable

Windows 10
Anything older shouldn't be used anymore

>usable
Anything lt Windows 7 shouldn't ever be used online so it depends on your definition of usable.
OSX Tiger was 10.4 and it's pretty sketchy now. But yeah, Snow Leopard is probably the oldest Mac OS you'd want to run online.

Windows 8...
I broke most of the older things.

My first self-built had XP.

Depends on what you mean, you can replace anything with pretending to be better than everyone else because you use the old piece of shit so it doesn't really matter. Look up what a VM is, so you can pretend to hate that too, for future threads.

>>Linux-Distros: I don't know
RHEL/CentOS 5.11 is the oldest still supported (albeit support ends in 3 months) around.

rhel/centos 5 was released in 2007

>Windows: Vista/7
>Mac OS: Snow Leopard
>Linux: Don't know, don't care

/thread

t. pajeets working for microsoft trying to shill their year-old scraped-from-the-street shit

>Windows 10

Windows Vista and 7 are good. Mac OS was shit for a while but Sierra actually fixed a lot of stuff like Disk Utility and Boot Camp that were fucked up in previous versions. Before that, Mavericks was good. With Linux, you have OpenSUSE, Fedora, and most Debian based distros.

That Japanese modified Windows 2000

>Snow Leopard/Tiger (10.6/10.7)

Tiger was 10.4
Leopard was 10.5
Snow Leopard was 10.6
Lion was 10.7

>Indian trying to peddle his malware

poo in loo

>Vista and 7 are good
Sadly Vista got dropped as the last pajeet-free Windows OS and they're on the way to completely break Windows 7
>macOS was shit for a while
Not True, at least not for the last iterations
10.0 to 10.3 was admittedly not very good, especially 10.0, which was kind of rushed considering OS X 9 was fine for most computer back then
10.4 was good
10.5 (Leopard) was when they got the memo and made OS X great again
10.6 (Snow Leopard): Literally the best one they ever made
10.7 was shit: bugfest
10.8 was the Windows 7 of OS X: it practically fucked 10.7 over and killed it off
10.9 was shit: WiFi and Bluetooth bugs
10.10 was fine but just a little bit too slo
10.11 is comfy and for example the 2009 iMacs that run it are basically 2015-16 laptop tier fast with an SSD. You can pick up an early 2009 iMac with 8 GB RAM for less than $400 in the US
I'm failing to see deal breakers on 10.12

I'm gonna pick up either an early 2009 iMac or a mid 2010 Mac Mini this month, since my old PC is crawling.

Sorry, I mixed something up right there. Didn't notice it

>gonna pick up either an early 2009 iMac
You should go for a 27" model if all possible. 27" iMacs use full-blown desktop chips – I used to have a first-gen 27" iMac and it was equipped with a socketed Core i5 750 just like you might've bought off the shelf. Its graphics were a bit on the weak side, but after replacing its spinning rust with an SSD it was a powerful little workhorse with an awesome display.

The 20"/21.5" models on the other hand use soldered mobile chips.

>Linux distros
For what purpose?

You don't gain anything from using an older distro as you can stave off the featuritis pretty well.

If it's still not enough, you can build something around musl libc.

VMS. Reliability is unbelievable and uptime is measured in decades.

i bought an imac the same running 10.6 with 1.8ghz cpu and 2gb of ram,its asking me to update browser amongst other things,i bought a 2.4ghz cpu and 4gb of ram from chinksville..will this keep it running for a couple of years longer..its for my sons school stuff.

10.4-10.6 was amazing. 10.7-10.9 were pretty good. 10.10 and 10.11 were utter garbage, and slowed down my Mac to drunken snail speed. 10.12 had massive speed improvements and fixed a lot of stuff that was broken (the major thing being Disk Utility).