Why didn't bluray discs make their way into general computing as data discs like dvds are...

Why didn't bluray discs make their way into general computing as data discs like dvds are, despite being near the end of their lifetime?

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/g/dp/B009KXE4VO
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Hype over cloud technologies.

doesnt sony gets a dollar of each recordable bluray disk sold, so each one is at least a dollar in price?
doesnt sony get a large cut (dont recall exact number/percentage) of each recording unit?
so yeah, price

But recordable disks are under $1 each
amazon.com/g/dp/B009KXE4VO

< $1 now
>i should have used "didnt" instead of "doesnt"

now that regular consumers dont care/want optical media its a moot thing. every one and their dog has the internets and they procure content on it. look at current consoles and netflix, who would buy a disc on a store now (even if its a shinny one)?

Discs are slow, and no need for such big storage when installation discs are like less than 4GB. However, Blu-ray discs are used for video games so that sorta answers your question.

>despite being near the end of their lifetime
answered your own question

I don't know, for some games like Doom and GTA5 one the PC I would appreciate the game being on a blu-ray, +50GB can take a while to download plus all the patches.

They rolled out at around the same time that high-speed internet connections were becoming ubiquitous. So there was very little demand for them; who wants to juggle burning 50GiB disks when they can just drag anything into the dropbox folder and let it sync?

Personally I've been waiting on the prices to come down. They're at the point where buying a bluray burner is cheap and the disc are cheap so I'm getting one soon. Fuck backing up anything to a "cloud".

If you want anything on a disk it would most likely be some install ISO which could at best be 2GB why would you need a disk that can hold a shitton more and be wasted?

nobody cares about that because the 'people that matter' all have fast internet anyway.

i'd rather spend a day downloading doom than have to get a blu ray drive. i did buy doom on dvd but still had to d/l 70 GB of shit anyway.

Nobody has bluray readers in their computer

because fuck waiting for 25-50GBs to burn to a disk that would take forever

>spend a day downloading doom
Jesus I'd shoot myself.

100GB takes 90-120 minutes.

*disc

Flash memory is more portable and useable. New computers hardly have an optical drive anymore and because transfer speeds are low people just don't want a flimsy disc that breaks easily.

Flash drives have gained popularity because you can have a key ring trinket sized 32-64GB fast versatile memory instead of a disc that's awkwardly big and doesn't fit anywhere anymore. Good for archives, but now that mass storage is so cheap by not just buy an external hard drive which as 1TB of memory? You can just dump everything there instead of save everything as small bits and hope the cheap record doesn't shit itself over time.

Also distributed storage works as well, you can have the same shit twice on two hard drives or one in a cloud, one in physical form. Why would you use a BD?

Flash storage - more reliable, more capacity, faster...

just did some searching and blu-ray burning speeds are a lot faster than I thought or not a lot better then when they first came out. I might actually buy a burner as well.

They are more expensive than DVDs and bluray readers are even more expensive

I thought about getting the new ones that will be used for 4K to be a backup.

Because Bluray won instead of the much cheaper alternative HD DVD.
And the Japanese being short sighted jews decided that since they had a monopoly they might as well charge absurd amounts from anybody that wanted to produce their shitty tech.
Sony single–handedly killed optical media

>a day
>less than 100GB
>fast

>that reading comprehension

>more reliable
You have to be 18+ to post here

Discs get scratched and broken. Get the fuck out of here.

>being such a clumsy fuck you break or scratch disks to the point they are no longer readable
refer to

Sony has a ridiculous stranglehold over the format. Usually, this kills a Sony format, but it didn't happen to Blu Ray.
I wouldn't call it anywhere near the end of its lifetime either.

Not if you're archiving them mate

I've never manage to unintentionally break a disc. What the fuck do you do with your optical media? Shove up your butt, sit on it?

You're retarded. I have over 50 Dvds over 8 years old. All work fine. Optical media is THE most reliable storage option for backups (look at M discs)

flash memory killed the optical star.

>what are scratches
>what are cracks
>what is disc rot
>what is bit degradation
Face it you disc gobbler, your format is obsolete.

how is your jewglee (tm) cloud drive?

Fuck (((the cloud))) as well. I use tape drives for backing everything up.

>what are scratches
something that doesn't happen unless you are complete idiot
>what are cracks
something that doesn't happen unless you are complete idiot
>what is disc rot
something that doesn't happen unless you buy extremely low quality media and even then you still have to store it in a place with high humidity
>what is bit degradation
kill urself

because it's the same size and shape. Why would I move from cheap dvd's to blurays just so I can get charged more when im getting the same thing.
I buy a dvd of a movie I have a movie on it. I buy a bluray of a movie, I have the same exact movie on it.
There isn't going to be a increase in quality if I'm watching on an older tv. Most movies are using camera tricks to hide visual flaws or are edited so you don't notice a discrepancy none of these things contribute to me wanting a better quality looking picture like the bluray is suppose to offer.

DVD was a novel innovation for home-media. Blu-Ray was just an upgrade.
DVDs were materially cheaper, smaller, higher quality, and virtually immune to degradation.
Blu-Rays are just better looking. Only a minority cares about that.

t. someone with no knowledge of even high school level physics.

too expensive when they had their time to shine

Scratches and cracks don't happen unless you drop your disc or manually damage it yourself, which is something anyone who isn't a toddler wouldn't do. Discs and flash drives are equally fragile in hands of an idiot.
Disc rot doesn't happen unless you leave your discs out in the open. Also archival grade discs last up to 100 years, M discs last up to 1000. Much longer than a flash drive even in a worst case scenario.
All storage suffers from degradation. Flash memory degrades much faster if unused, only lasting up to 15 years as a best case scenario. You can easely duplicate all your discs every 30-100 years.

Discs are objectively better for mass storage of archival grade data, as in something you want to keep permanently. Flash drives are only useful for transfering files manually to computers and storing files temporarely, just like memory cards.