/AG/ - Audio General: Not the usual OP edition

Death to plebs edition

>Helpful links
How to pick your speakers - digitaltrends.com/home-theater/how-to-buy-speakers-a-beginners-guide-to-home-audio/
Where to place your speakers - arqen.com/acoustics-101/room-setup-speaker-placement/
Reviews - stereophile.com/

Have a question? Include
>budget
>room size
>intended purpose e.g. music, movies, gaming, as well as the type e.g. rock or jazz, action movies or games with a lot of explosions
>country
>new or used?
>do you have any equipment? e.g. amp, speakers

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483925030&sr=1-5&keywords=smsl
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I wish these threads got more traction.

Does anyone have any plans for speaker stands?

nah, Sup Forums loves headphones because they listen faggot weebs music

What should I get to drive my Miccas?
Something with a front facing headphone output as well

Don't want to spend more than $100 or so

I wanted some kind of not very expensive dac/amp with at least two digital inputs and at least two outputs one for headphones and other for speakers.
So far I only found DAC-X6 which is ching chog shit which I am forced to buy on aliexpress and audioengine d1 which is a bit expensive hard to find since I live in Europe.
Any ideas what else I could get?

>DAC-X6
Is it that bad?

I don't know, thing is if I buy it from aliexpress and it break in two months later will I get any refund?

>plans
I actually always wanted to build some for myself, but now that I really need some I just ended up ordering a pair of K&M 26795 because making something as sturdy, tall and adjustable would be at least just as expensive

Does anyone know what curve the Bose 901 EQ employs? I don't want to use their box, I will just use a system wide eq in my PC

I'm pretty sure you won't find any data, bose doesn't want you to know shit about it.
it's way better to measure it yourself in your actual room anyway because you want to correct for the specific speaker>room interaction mostly, free field measurements aren't interesting for that

What device do I need to hook up an old receiver to power speakers if I have an xbox/roku with only HDMI out?

google hdmi dac

amazon.com/SMSL-SD793-II-PCM1793-DIR9001-Amplifier/dp/B00A2QLPJM/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1483925030&sr=1-5&keywords=smsl

I can't tell if I'm gonna need something expensive or not so I don't have to worry about the quality being poor

>budget $25 to $40
>room bedroom
>intended purpose movies
>country USA
>new or used? New
>do you have any equipment? e.g. amp, speakers None

Just looking for some basic movie speakers that are better than my tv's speakers, I've heard logitech has good budget speakers but what do you guys think?

Speakers on amazon are a plus because I have gift cards

Just found a Aiwa Stereo System that a neighbor was throwing out.
The disc tray's censor is beyond fucked so I just had to completely unplug the CD player. The cassette players both eats tapes and one won't close after just devouring a tape. The speakers are muffled. The entire inside is somehow caked completely in dust.
No wounder why it was thrown out, but I still love having a speakers and the idea to play all my music in my room.

>budget
I'm a stupid college student, but I'm willing to save up a bit for a system for music that sounds great. I have no idea what my budget is.

>Room Size
A smaller bedroom

>Purpose
Music, Pretty much everything except for classical and non-american music.

>Country
USA

>New or Used
Preferably cheap, but I don't know

Any suggestions on where to look, or any big names to look for?
Or just any decent places to start learning about everything? I'm in love with my current shit fest of an audio system compared to just listening everything on some earbuds or headphones.

Cyber Acoustics CA-3602a for $43.
$10 more than the popular Logitech Z313, but sounds notably better.
For that price range you can't expect passive speakers with an amp.

How important is a sub? Could get a simple 2.1 system like the one I recommended to the other user, else you could buy a dedicated amp + passive bookshelf speakers + sub.
Bookshelf setups are good for over $100. Adding a sub would be another $100-200 to start with.

Looking at upgrading my speakers. $300-450 range. Have a sub and amp.
Looking at:
$300, KEF Q100
$330, Klipsch RB-61 II
$400, Audioengine A5+
$400, KEF Q300

alot of the reviews are complaining about muddy sound

You're on a super tight budget, though I should also ask if you'd prefer a 2, or 2.1 system?

Your budget is 50 dollars

>Klipsch RB-61 II
The amp you have will depend on how well these sound. I had some generic amp and couldn't listen to them for more than 30 minutes at a time. Picked up a vintage one and quality drastically improved. Had more low end and could listen to for hours

Would it possible to get an amp, bookshelf speakers to start then when I can buy a sub later?
Am I correct to assume I can slowly upgrade everything over time piece by piece?

Here's me showing off some freshly restored vintage gear. AR7s are weird speakers, but glorious Luxman preamp circuits makes them sing quite nicely.

Using it with a Schiit Modi 2 DAC and Topping TP22 amp.
Heard the Klipsch was harsh and treble-heavy, so I was leaning towards the KEF's instead.
A5+'s seems fine, but I don't need all the bass since I have a sub, so I'd prefer something that sounds good especially in the mid and high's.

Leaving me with the KEF Q100 and Q300. Have heard that the Q300 is a bit muddy in the mids, but picks up the slack in the bass that the Q100 misses out on.
But again because of the sub I'm leaning more towards the Q100. Just wanted a second opinion from Sup Forums.

Yep! That's what I did with my first bookshelf speaker setup.
Had garage sale Panasonic bookshelf speakers, bought an amp to replace the broken receiver, and added a sub a year or two later.

Oh hai

Do you recap things yourself?
And how expensive would it cost to bring to a shop?

I do full restorations, which would be insanely expensive to have a "professional" do. A full recap is usually 3-8 hours of work depending on device, and a full restoration is 10-30 hours.

At normal tech shop rates, that's hundreds to thousands of dollars, and I'd wager any shop that isn't a speciality restoration shop would (sadly) be likely to do a really shitty job at it, too.

And most importantly, I actually do performance tests afterward to make sure the stuff is actually working, which almost NOBODY has the equipment/will to do.

meh... fair

You make curious about what you consider good if the Japanese million board method with wire wrap terminals everywhere doesn't strike your fancy.

In another thread, you said that you were considering doing some upgrades. Did you actually do any, or was this just a standard restoration?

That was with regards to the C-120A preamplifier, which has received some changes to its power supply section, a bunch of resistor and transistor replacements, as well as a bunch of extra shielding inside. Which still hasn't solved all its problems, sadly.

The M-120A received some cable rerouting, new driver transistors and a full tune-up.