Why is RAM so expensive now? A year ago 2x4GB sticks cost me $30. Now the same set is over $60...

Why is RAM so expensive now? A year ago 2x4GB sticks cost me $30. Now the same set is over $60. DDR3 and DDR4 have both gone up.

What happened? Will it go down?

Other urls found in this thread:

blog.neweggbusiness.com/components/whats-deal-computer-ram-prices/
dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/4563.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Probably flooding in Thailand again.

>so expensive

It wasn't that long ago that 128MB was $250.

Get off my lawn.
REEEEEEEE

phones that are starting to use ddr4

buy your ram used, new price ram is holy shit expensive now.

>probably flooding in some 3rd world shithole

i got 2GB sticks of ddr3 from webuy/cex for 75 cents a stick for some old machines, just search around on ebay as well.

blog.neweggbusiness.com/components/whats-deal-computer-ram-prices/

That's a really long time ago grandpa

This, mainly.

Also artificial "shortages" which are just companies like samsung and micron producing less but charging more because they can.

they charge however much they want to. that's how the market works buddy.
>made in china for 0.01 Cents
>Sold for 69.99

>He hasnt maxed out his RAM from day one.

It's the southern region that's flooded at the moment.

nand shortage

oh no wait, that's the excuse they're using for ssds

the floods messed up hdd's prices.
ram prices were due to some samsung and hynix shenanigans, can't remember what it was, but probably a good old cartel price fixing scheme.

I thought that those prices had already peaked...

Can anyone venture an educated guess on what the price trend is right now - upward or downward?

How much does it actually cost to make DDR4 RAM?

manufacturers colluding to raise prices, duh

Not even close to peak yet.
dramexchange.com/WeeklyResearch/Post/2/4563.html

>Undersupply of DRAM products may last through the entire 2017 due to strong demand growth in mobile and server application markets
>through the entire 2017
So yeah, if you want to buy something, then get it right now, because the prices aren't going to even begin coming down or stabilizing, before the end of this year.

Very little. Most of the cost involved with manufacturing is in development. After that you can produce hundreds if not thousands of chips in a single lot. If we weren't constantly advancing and updating you'd probably be able to get 16 gigs for all of about 5 bucks and they'd still be turning a hell of a profit on it.

>used RAM
Good luck with paying for a broken memory stick

There's a RAM shortage, same with SSD's. SSD's gonna drop in price when production ramps up, RAM will remain a problem from what I've read

Apparently Samsung uses the same fab for both NAND and DRAM

>$2 Pajeet used RAM doesn't work
>buy ten more
>Still cheaper than buying one stick new

Where do you buy used RAM?

I've bought dozens of used memory modules; never received a faulty one.

thx, user. That's actually helps me making a couple of purchasing decisions.

Where do you buy used anything?

Because smartphones and tablets are using LPDDR instead while PC sales have been in steady decline.

Fuck. I thought it will gone down before summer

this
>not having 16 exabytes of RAM

I was at Fry's with my dad recently, buying some RAM, and he pointed out that when he bought his first PC around the time I was born, the 16GB we were buying for around $100 would've cost over 10 million dollars.

Pretty nuts when you think about it.