Old thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235406.aspx
strawpoll.me/12023125
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for Rust & C++

Rust is SJW cancer. Avoid at all cost.

suq my Coq

Annoying af error that has no underlying cause. Can someone help?

msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms235406.aspx

RTFM.

Text editor poll continues
strawpoll.me/12023125

macOS menubar application for MPD.

Worthless used goods.

noto sans ui any better? doesn't look that modern

She's not completely worthless.

Working on TCP socket management for my decentralized TV (mostly SOCKS), as well as creating a general purpose stats library for picking optimal peers for certain types of data.

I also made an IRC channel for my project (#basictv on Freenode).

>11 posts in
>nobody has thanked OP for using an anime image

so i guess this is reddit now

I'm building 3 computers that can take decisions by themselves over the military facility where I work. Each holds a different treat of my personality. One is me as a manchildren, me as a faggot and me as an open source zealot. They are called Larry, Curly and Moe.

What could go wrong?

what color makes you fastest?

>thanking for something that always should be done

I'm also working on a live chat system for TV channels, but that's pushing the limit for most residential connections and I'm more concerned with getting a general UI up (although I love the idea).

I need a better font

When there were non-anime /dpt/, no one said fuck you to OP and created /dpt/ with anime OP.

>What could go wrong?
Joining a military facility for one.

Color depends on the programming language in question.

Something that matches your editor's color scheme.

Is webdevelopment the way to go for finding jobs?

I've hit a wall in my python studies and am considering learning django

homo sexual

Know how I can tell that Rust is going to succeed?

Because the retards here can't shut up about it and /dpt/ is always wrong.

For the non-NEETs, how many of you work from home part or full time?

I'm strongly considering it this year.

Yes, that's where the industry is. Learn Django because most people already use it, then learn flask because sometime you don't need Django.

Know how I can tell that Rust is going to fail?

Because the retards here can't shut up about it and /dpt/ is always wrong.

>2017
>Not being homosexual

Go the fuck back to your containment board weaboo faggots

It's the way to learn code monkey jobs that anyone can do tbqh.
You'll end up working with hipster kids and hating your job.

Know how I can tell that the retards here are going to fail?

Because they can't shup and and act like adults for a second.

Anime website, cry some more.

14 out of ~100 of boards are about anime, try again faggot

^ blue and white for haskell

Know how I can tell it's not going anywhere? Because it's already being used in production so they are stuck with it.

Anime boards were here before normalfag shit was added.

Just started to watch SICP video lectures. Why do they record audience's faces? About 20% of the video lecture is people faces rather than blackboard, wtf?

>anime boards
>reddit actually believes this myth

>implying a majority of the people on Sup Forums actualy watch anime
Anime is degenerate filth m8

@58501010
(You)
Btw, I've just found that SQL Server increments a primary key even when the insert fails. This is disgusting tbhqh.

Nobody cares what immigrants think

Hello,

I’m planning to develop a web-based platform vaguely like Twitter. Using the site as an example, I’d like to know:

>Which languages would I have to learn to develop the front-end of Twitter?
>Which languages would I have to learn to develop the back-end of Twitter?
>How much would it cost for me to deploy a site like Twitter once it was made?
>What would be a reasonable estimate of the time it'd take me to learn the languages required, and actually code something like Twitter from scratch?

Thanks!

Back to your designated anime boards fags

>58501057
Low quality bait.

>58501073
No, kid.

>be employee at mozilla
>no background in cs
>have to fix memory leak
>valgrind won't start
>wtf i hate c++ now

how do i read a file line by line and store it in a char array in c?

>Front end
HTML
CSS
Javascript
>Back-end
PHP
MySQL (not really a language)
Some language that can work with MySQL might be helpful (Reddit runs off of Python)

The cost of the internet and a Raspberry Pi. Web servers are pretty lightweight, so you can get away with a Pi for a while. However, you should seriously invest in a pfSense router when things start taking off (dropped TCP connections are terrible on consumer hardware). If you can't do that, at least opt for DD-WRT.

you open it read until a '\n' and store each character in a char array of some size

use the file functions or read() syscall

JavaScript
JavaScript
Look at the pricing of Amazon AWS, Google AppEngine and Microsoft Azure
>What would be a reasonable estimate of the time it'd take me to learn the languages required, and actually code something like Twitter from scratch?
Assuming you've never written code, a year.

fopen in binary mode and read individual bytes.

The things Rust needs are backwards-compatible and aren't just syntax sugar.

I'm messing around with mapping files with the win32 api in c and have a LPVOID pointer from MapViewOfFile which I want to add an offset to that, which is in the form of a DWORD. How can I safely add a DWORD to a LPVOID type?

I liked the previous one more

With the + operator. If you know that the offset is not bigger than the file size, obviously

HTML, CSS, JavaScript + some framework (React and Vue.js are pretty popular)
Literally anything. But I myself would suggest ASP.NET, PHP or node.js so you could use the same tooling for both back-end and front-end.
Mostly depends on bandwidth on storage, I'd say somewhere around $20/month for some few hundred users? BTW I totally pulled that out of my ass. Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud have some cost estimators. There are some application hosts that offer free tiers (see Heroku, OpenShift etc)
Of course that depends on you. Learning a language is easy, but the Web has so many quirks it could take you well over 6 months to have a working version if you're starting from absolute scratch.

what is /dpt/'s opinion on the agile manifesto?

Cast to a char * or an integer capable of holding a pointer (uintptr_t from stdint.h or UINT_PTR from windows.h)

trying to learn python
syntax is weird
will get used to it

'scuse me mate not an argument

once more for the children

Thanks, especially for the advice about servers. I've heard of the Pi, but I had no idea it could be used as a web server - that might be my go-to considering capital is lacking.

A year's what I was anticipating. It'll certainly be worth it, if I can confirm demand with a few intermediate MVPs. Thank (You)!

Thanks. Cloud storage is definitely an option I've considered! I'll have to get more data before I can get a reliable estimate of how much it'll cost, unfortunately.

To keep people entertained.
You aren't watching at the blackboard on lectures all the time, are you?

C# is the only language on that image that isn't absolutely 100% trash

And that's because C# is only 50% trash

Where is the src?

Should I watch them before or after reading the book?

made by a python programmer

You watch them together with reading the book.

first day on /dpt/, is python a meme?

No, memes usually have at least some kind of value to them.
Python is completely without merit.

>that usage of "meme"
yeah, it's your first day on this website too. Fuck off, plebbitor.

we raytracer now

It's just straight up shit, not a "meme"

Did this ever get past version 4.0?
Also, post more like this.

nice image hehe
your from the programming sub too?!

Has anyone heard of the "Acestream" application?

It appears to be a bittorrent-based livestreaming thing, and Sup Forums uses it a lot to stream sports.

I'm trying to figure out how it works, and how its protocol differs from the actual bittorrent spec.

Has anyone played around with it before? Do any of you guys have whitepapers or guides on the topic?

No, don't watch lectures, don't read book, sicp don't have any use in 2017, you simply won't be able to use concepts in modern languages, + your co-workers would see this in way that you are showing off with all those abstractions and lambdas.

Nice trips, what is that?

>Mentioning Python in /dpt/

Here's your first lesson on your very first day, don't bring up that shit language here, it's for talentless sysadmins and babbys who just import CompletedProject

The what?

I have this one, there's a bit of overlap tho

is python a gimmick?

i don't care about your pleb-tier """"""""languages"""""""" though

You seem to be talking about Node.js.

no, it's just trash

It really isn't that awful when it's used as intended for smaller versatile projects. The problem lies with it being so easy to learn that there's a lot of shit made with it, and people trying to make bigger things end up with 300 lines of importations because they're too lazy to write their own things.

How so? You won't find a job without knowing modern languages like c++ or python

The programming subreddit

And why do you think I care about that?

Looks like it's bittorrent with some very minor enhancements suitable for livestreaming. Not very much info on their website though.

>i have evolved beyond the need for employment
>i have become infiNEET

>infiNEET
neet

Why would someone start to learn to programming if he doesn't have in mind a goal of finding the job in the future? You can't programm then you're dead due to lack of food.

Why would someone start to learn to play guitar if he doesn't have in mind a goal of finding the job in the future? You can't play guitar then you're dead due to lack of food.

Their website looks very sketchy to me, and I'm hesitant to download from there.

It seems that "acestream URLs" are just regular torrent content hashes.

I tried making a magnet link from one of these content hashes and adding it to my torrent client, and I can SEE other clients in the swarm, but none of them connect to me.

I guess they changed the protocol enough to not be compatible with regular torrent clients

it shoots a ray out of every pixel on the screen and sees what spheres it intersects.

then it calculates the normals of the ones that intersect and recursively does the same thing

when the line no longer hits a sphere, it returns the average of all the colors of the spheres it hit

What's the best Lisp?

Why do you assume I'm interested in getting a programming job?

>"I'd rather have a vague semblance of how to use python, than have an actual understanding of how to write programs in Scheme"
>"I only have a month to learn a language before my attention span wears off, so if that language isn't hip and cool then I'm going to be screwed"
Anyways, HtDP (How to Design Programs) was literally written as a response to SICP (and every other even more sub-par intro courses) that failed a lot of students by
1) being too complex
2) only introducing language concepts without actually showing students how to go able >>>designing