/mpv/

mpv keeps crashing on me, using the PPA version for Ubuntu
Is my config fucked? I have an Nvidia 310M, this laptop is about 4 years old so I'm thinking the GPU is dying, but I have no way to tell for certain.
profile=opengl-hq
hwdec=vdpau
script-opts=osc-layout=bottombar,osc-seekbarstyle=slider,osc-scalewindowed=0.6,osc-scalefullscreen=0.6

Other urls found in this thread:

launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests
gist.github.com/igv/8a77e4eb8276753b54bb94c1c50c317e
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Option-replacement-list#mpv-0210
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/2678
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Distro packages are not our problems, and we even removed links to them from mpv.io.

Using mpv-build is recommended.

neat, thanks.

I use mpv in ubuntu version 16.10 and no problme at all

Use mpv-build like any proper Linux users or use Windows like normies.

Why doesn't mpv use GPU like madVR?

It seems madVR uses my GPU entirely unlike mpv, with GPU-Z mpv uses 60% and dropped frames as hell but madVR uses 95% without dropping frames. I noticed this with all my machines, is there something in the mpv code that limits the GPU usage to keep the it at a normal temperature or a similar thing?

Four year old laptop with a 7 year old GPU?

>using the PPA version for Ubuntu
>mpv keeps crashing

You just answered it yourself.
/thread

mpv is light on resources so your GPU is underclocking to save power which can cause dramedrops. Put your GPU to performance mode.

>starts new thread
>a program is crashing
>no backtrace

>and we even removed links to them from mpv.io
But that's not true, this is still listed: launchpad.net/~mc3man/ archive/ubuntu/mpv-tests

And works fine on my machine.

It's garbage made by incompetents for idiots, what did you expect? Use a better player.

Why are you so salty? I always see you shit talk mpv.
mpv is genuinely a great media player.

is there someone successfully use hwdec=cuda on windows?

Yeah, works fine here. Might require a newer build.

i have v0.23 but it just gives me:

>[vo/opengl/cuda] cuGLGetDevices(&device_count, &device, 1, CU_GL_DEVICE_LIST_ALL) failed -> >CUDA_ERROR_OPERATING_SYSTEM: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS
>[vo/opengl/cuda] cuCtxPopCurrent(&dummy) failed -> CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_CONTEXT: invalid device context
>[vo/opengl/cuda] cuGLGetDevices(&device_count, &device, 1, CU_GL_DEVICE_LIST_ALL) failed -> >CUDA_ERROR_OPERATING_SYSTEM: OS call failed or operation not supported on this OS
>[vo/opengl/cuda] cuCtxPopCurrent(&dummy) failed -> CUDA_ERROR_INVALID_CONTEXT: invalid device context

did it need cuda sdk or something like that??

I have an Nvidia GTX 770 in my desktop. What should I add to my mpv config file.

tfw Debian's mpv package isn't compiled with libcaca support but mplayer is

and mplayer's libcaca support is shit by the way, doesn't work with high resolutions? But mpv's did before I purged deb-multimedia from my systems

It's shit and idiots shill it like it's cake.

But it isn't shit. It's ok if you don't know how to use it, it's not for everyone.

The best doesn't mean it's suitable for dummies.

The new revision of adaptive-sharpen is much more GPU intensive, my laptop iGPU doesn't handle it anymore and the quality is almost the same :(
gist.github.com/igv/8a77e4eb8276753b54bb94c1c50c317e

It's barely a player, and in the latest build they actually managed to break d3d hwa. It takes a certain amount of incompetence to do that, and yet the mpv developers pulled it. I don't know how, hell FFplay is a better product than this shit.

>The best
Far from it..

The d3d11va hwdec works perfectly at least.
They are trying some experimental shits in the latest commits so it's probably that, building software from git sometimes fails you know.

kek, you're the retard that said mpv, vlc and mpc-hc all looked the same except mpv used twice the resources.

# Rendering
vo=opengl
hwdec=auto
scale=oversample
video-sync=display-resample
interpolation
deband

rate

From ffmpeg website about ffplay:
It is mostly used as a testbed for the various FFmpeg APIs.

So you are using a testing tool as media player?
It seems to be very strange, but if you are happy...

Hopefully they look the same!

44,5/60

No, but the fact that something used for test is better than this thing which calls itself a "media player" is laughable.

The kind of shit that you'd expect from an alpha version of software..

They look the same and mpv uses more than twice the respurces.

>They look the same and mpv uses more than twice the respurces.

lel

It's more than alpha, it's experimental.
Please keep it in mind before shitposting like a retard.
Wm4 didn't say his player was a stable product for dummies.

Yes mpc-hc is terribly ram/cpu hungry with some directshow filters like assfiltermod, lavfilters or madvr. VLC is heavy on resources because its GUI is terribly coded.

Right, which is why femanon is either a troll or actually retarded.

There's zero CPU usage while I use MPC-HC while using CUVID, VLC has about 2-3% and MPV reaches even 30%. It's complete shit.

And as an "experiment" will always remain if the developers don't learn how to fucking program and keep breaking shit from one month to another..

Try spline16 for scale and cscale, it's a bit softer than spline36, but since you use sharpening it doesn't matter and there is almost no ringing with spline16

>There's zero CPU usage while I use MPC-HC while using CUVID, VLC has about 2-3% and MPV reaches even 30%. It's complete shit.
It helps when you know what your doing and know the difference between hw and sw decoding.

For "her" sake I hope she's trolling.

I know, and mpv is broken.

for you

Is CUVID still maintained?

How to change default window size?

in mpv.conf

Example, 1080 width, proportional height, center of the screen:
geometry=1080+50%+50%

I also have a laptop with 310m and mpv dropped frames like crazy with opengl-hq. opengl works great though
vo=opengl:scale=spline16
hwdec=auto-copy
no-border

Please give me the best mpv configuration for watching animé, please.

profile=opengl-hq
deband-grain=4096

>deband-grain=4096

harhar

to intelligant to edit a config file

It's very colorful, but I don't really like it, sorry.

have you tried using the new syntax?
profile=opengl-hq
scale=spline16
hwdec=auto-copy
no-border

>mpv keeps crashing on me

mine works just fine :^)

What difference does it make?

VLC is working great here.

old one doesn't work
github.com/mpv-player/mpv/wiki/Option-replacement-list#mpv-0210

How can I use an xbox controller/xinput with mpv? is there a list of xinput button names somewhere can I can use in the input config?

profile=opengl-hq
scale=ewa_lanczossharp
opengl-shaders="~~/shaders/KrigBilateral.glsl,~~/shaders/nnedi3-nns128-win8x4-yuv.hook,~~~~/shaders/adaptive-sharpen-2pass.glsl,~~/shaders/SSimSuperRes.glsl"

Is this enough for insane conf?

Just my observation, I believe the mpchc and mpv cpu use are switched but can't be asked to edit it correctly.

the tldr is anything but vlc is good to a point where everything is within margin of error/doesn't matter territory, while vlc is the more compatible (as in I have some 10+ year old real media videos that only play thought it, and one or two avis from an even older time frame) player.

I actually ran into a file that vlc couldnt play but mpv could. it was a badly encoded avi file.

Files that mpc hc cant play are rare as hell for me,
However every now and then vlc needs to rebuild some shit, and that more or less means the program will not work again till I install a new version.

Pain in the ass, but the few times mpchc lets me down it has my back, next time im going to try mpv too.

I can never use mpv as an every day use just due to interface issues I take with it, and pot player downloads entire youtube videos so its my go to for online outside a browser, But honestly a good tool set needs many different tools for the in case scenarios. mpchc pot and vlc are my stand by with mpv just a curiosity for now.

Works on my current version

When will mpv be as good as MX Player on Android?

Yeah, when will it have adds?
Seriously though, how the fuck is MX Player better?

Only reason I'm still using it because I don't have to use the progress bar for quick seeking a scene.

I mean I can use gestures to fast forward or rewind.

I'm still surprised this is the only video app that can do this.

Wait a minute

I just tested VLC and it could do the same shit but it's just not as fast

How to fix
[FAILED] mpv-0.23.0-1.fc25.x86_64.rpm: No more mirrors to try - All mirrors were already tried without success

Why does mpv group hate antiringing algos?
Is it because they watch animes exclusively?
Their pathetic built-in antiringing algo is terrible.

NGU Low/Medium are faster than ewa_lanczos.
NGU Low/Medium look better than ewa_lanczos.
NGU Low/Medium are still stupid 2x scalers.

Are you really able to see any bad results with NGU medium?

Who exactly?
I think they only hate their built-in antiringing

is it possible to force mpv/youtube-dl to utilize http instead of https?

>310
>4 years old

Dude. 2010 was SEVEN YEARS ago.

I really want to try mpv but I'm afraid to leave my comfort zone that is VLC. What if mpv doesn't just works out of the box? That's my biggest fear t(b)h.

Then try to get it working, and go back to VLC if that fails

I don't think they hate antiringing algorithms. The current one is very simple, but I don't think that's on purpose. They'd probably accept a better one if someone contributed it. The only image processing algorithms I know they hate are the oil-painting neural network "super resolution" ones like NNEDI3. The user-shader system was written so the NNEDI3 implementation could be moved out of mpv and into an external shader (though that was partially for licencing reasons.)

Lucky you can have more than one video player installed on your computer at a time.

Not supported. See: github.com/mpv-player/mpv/issues/2678

You might be able to convince the devs to add support if you have a good argument for it. I know that XInput support would not be too difficult to implement (because unlike most Windows APIs, XInput is mostly sane.) Though, they'd most likely just link you to that issue and/or tell you to use a tool that maps XInput buttons to keyboard keys.

vo_tct is the new hotness anyway, and it doesn't need external dependencies.

ah, didn't notice, thanks

Why not vo_vulkan and/or vo_d3d12 instead of vo_opengl?
Is opengl cool now?

>vo_d3d12
mpv devs don't want to waste time developing a high quality video render that will only benefit one platform. If vo_d3d12 ever exists, it will be a simple VO, like vo_direct3d (D3D9) is now.

>vo_vulkan
Maybe some day.

>Is opengl cool now?
Only as cool as it's always been among non-Windows users. You don't get much of a choice if you want to target the three major operating systems.