Wouldn't we be getting better thermals by not using a heatspreader like the good old days?

Wouldn't we be getting better thermals by not using a heatspreader like the good old days?

Isn't it just an additional and unnecessary cost?

And by heatspreader I meant the metal cap.

Just in case that's not actually the name...

The IHS is more for protecting the die from breaking.

It wouldn't be a big deal if instead of normal thermal goop, there was liquidy metal, and maybe if the heatspreader was made out of CuSil or if it had crude tiny diamonds in it.

technically yes. anytime you can reduce resistance you gain more efficient transfer. the heat spreader is yet another middle man that the heat must transfer through before it can be displaced. by how much is the debate. if the heat spreader is designed and mounted correctly, the amount of resistance could be low as 1c difference with it on and off. if its done poorly you can have a 10-30c difference. as seen with haswell, skylake, and kaby.

it would imply tiny heatsink connections and high thermal density
The middle man is necessary to SPREAD the HEAT and make it reasonable for real heatsinks to cool it
It's easier to cool a 80° 2x2" square than it is to cool a 130° .5x.5" square
CPUs are getting too small for heatsinks, that's what it comes down to and that's why we have heatspreaders(and to protect the fie

But it's not as efficient as direct contact because that's what the cap does anyways.

youre wrong and fucking retarded

if you fuck up mounting the heatisnk you can crack the die.
t. my dead Athlon XP 1800+

>The middle man is necessary to SPREAD the HEAT and make it reasonable for real heatsinks to cool it

That's something called a -egads!- HEATSINK BASE! Which is why it often is made of copper even if the heatsink fins are aluminum. Also why a heatsink base is thick.

Laptop chips expose the bare ass of the die to their heatsinks, I think.

Back in those days installing a heat sink could cause a panic attack if you didn't have nerves of steel.

Because it's better for cooling and laptops need as much of that as they can get.

But why not desktops?

Presumably the vendor is scared that dudebro rig builders and IT pajeets are going to crack their dies installing heatsinks.

But isn't that the reason why they use lga mobos? So if you fuck it up you'll have to buy a new one?

To be honest, rather have a heat spreader that is soldered on, or made out of more conductive materials even if it costs slightly more to me just because it protects the die, and god knows that is the last thing I want to risk fucking up.

"(integrated) heat spreader" is a euphemism for retard insurance.

Honestly a soldered metal cap barely fucking matters unless you're an LN2 maniac, but jewtel and their thermal compound are cancer.

>it's better for cooling and laptops
>But why not desktops?

because despite what they probably wish, Intel has not yet convinced the workstation market to do away with sockets and have everything soldered directly to pre-built motherboards with pre-installed headsinks.

>Pre-built
Whoa son, lets not go too far here or else you''ll be paying Jewtel 1k for a system you'll void your warranty to improve 40%

>better thermals
to a very small degree, yes.

>unnecessary cost
if you consider losing processors during shipping due to damaged dies a problem, then it's not unnecessary. It's not particularly expensive either.

I would assume laptops don't use an IHS because it adds unnecessary thickness to the laptop.

ivy bridge and kaby lake are both 25c cooler same settings if you delid

haswell is 10c and skylake is between 10 and 15c

Because aproximately 0% laptops use 0.5kg hunk of metal to cool them and require a spastic neckbeard with parkinsons to install them.