How long until computer monitors are phased out by TVs?

How long until computer monitors are phased out by TVs?
TVs already look better, they just dont have good response times or refresh rates (sometimes). If they made TVs with good response times and refresh rates then you would have no reason to buy a $600 computer monitor when you could buy a tv and use it as both a tv and monitor.

>Assuming I don't use my computer monitor as a TV

what the fuck are you talking about

are you asking why we don't use TV's at desktop computers?
or why we don't hook up desktops to living room TV's

ycbcr 4:4:4 vs rgb? which is one is better?

I have been using a Sony 32EX655 since 2013 as my computer PC. It has a "gaming" mode that reduced lag significantly. No complaints, would get another TV.

how long until we only use tvs as computer monitors and the whole computer monitor industry disappears.

Using TV as a monitor is the most retarded thing ever. Text looks like shit, colors don't look as good (even with Chroma 4:4:4) and refresh rate is garbage. Not even power saving modes work well.

Only poor people use TVs as monitors.

/thread

>Text looks like shit, colors don't look as good (even with Chroma 4:4:4)
I beg to differ. Perhaps your TV didn't actually support chroma 4:4:4.

never
computer monitors have a much higher pixel pitch and are designed to be viewed from less than 2ft away
TV's look like shit in general

yeah, im not telling people to use them now. but after a while tvs should be able to replicate what a computer monitor does. its not like their two totally different technologies.

I believe op is suggesting putting 3 50"tvs on your desk as opposed to using monitors

>computer monitors have a much higher pixel pitch
what a stupid statement, obviously you would not use a 60" tv as a monitor. at same size and resolution pixel pitch is, by definition, the same

Wouldn't it be easier if they just put a TV Tuner inside a monitor?
Maybe TVs don't really need that type of performance and that would probably double the price.

As someone who has been tinkering with the idea. Let's get to the real issue.

How do we use a recliner with a large enough PC monitor?

wireless keyboards and mice

Maybe it just had tons of stupid image filters to make shitty broadcast content look "better".

>Bigger pixels look better
no.

I've yet to see a setup where getting up and in are not a huge pain.

I primarily use my HTPC for everything these days.

Laptop and smartphone are probably runner ups.

Poor desktop...

set up a pole with a hinge on it so that you can rotate the keyboard and mouse in and away.

pic related. not perfect, but youde just have to adjust it to your specific needs.

I think anything larger than 27'' is too big for a monitor. TV's are huge and meant to be viewed from a distance.

you can just buy a 27" tv. jeez are people really stupid enough to think that im suggesting that people use 55" tvs as monitors.

Why would I want my monitor to come with it's own operating system? You're smoking crack OP.

Honestly OP there will always be a need for lower form factor desktop monitors since the as others have mentioned pixel pitch must be high enough at close viewing distances to avoid screen door effect.

The real question is when will LG deliver OLED at desktop sizes? Dell promised that OLED prosumer monitor last year and still hasn't delivered.

The computer monitor industry will never go away, considering computers exist in more places than just your home and are used for more than just entertainment.

Why use a monitor or tv when you have a phone? Don't you know the PC and TV are a dying market?

TV as monitor only good for media and games.

for general purpose, PC monitor is superior. even 1366x768 laptop screen is better than 4K TV

that's the fucking point of a tv you dipshit - the bigger screen

a tv is just a computer monitor that's generally bigger and has more inputs

what the fuck is this thread

I disagree. A modern TV generally has some kind of OS installed.

it would just have two modes, tv mode, and pc monitor mode.

OP, you are a retard.

TVs are not meant to be looked at from 3 feet away.
They use a completely different pixel layout.

There is a good reason that a real 40" monitor cost over $1,000 while a 48" TV can be had for $300.

there are 32" monitors that go for $1600

So why don't they do it the other way around and put a Digital television (DTV) receiver in monitors, i've never seen one with it.
Would be a better solution than pic related.

Ah yes, Hauppauge. I had one. It was great.

Licensing issues? Look at your cable bill, there are a lot of franchisee, and local broadcast license that need to be compatible with cable companies, and now that everyone has digital cable, you need a PCMCIA card from your cable company.