What is the best lossy audio codec and why is it Opus?

What is the best lossy audio codec and why is it Opus?

Other urls found in this thread:

chiru.no:8080/stream.opus
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Satan trips confirm.

chiru.no:8080/stream.opus

If it's so good how come it's not accepted on any music private tracker?

>666
>opus
>not flac

because they are all flac placebo autists

It's opus because opus has lower latency than any other lossy codec and is audibly transparent at 96-128kbps, making it both the smallest AND the lowest latency codec at the same time, making it perfect for voice chat and music streaming/local storage (on smaller drives). If you want lossy audio, use FLAC/PCM source -> Opus.

FLAC isn't lossy, dumb weeb

flac is better than opus though

That's why you use FLAC.

Are you American? You must be, considering how poor your reading comprehension is.

You can chalk that up to the staff not being tech savvy enough to know enough about newer technologies, hence preferring to stick with the traditional mp3 which has proven to work for so many years. Consider also that Opus is relatively new so there may be some legacy players that don't support it and that can piss off a lot of autists in there, whence sticking to mp3 avoids potential shitstorms.

Opus IS objectively better than mp3 though with no downsides at all. It's only a matter of time before it becomes the standard.

Opus will never be more widespread than FLAC or MP3. It's the worst of both worlds

opusfags BTFO

It's not as good as HE-AACv2 at sub 32kb. 64kb Opus sounds fucking great though.

>Opus will never be more widespread than FLAC
Opus is lossy and doesn't strive to replace FLAC which is a lossless format. The fact that you're comparing the two shows you barely know what you're talking about.

>Opus will never be more widespread than MP3.
False.

FLAC is more likely to replace Mp3 than opus is

I use both Opus and FLAC. It's objectively the best lossy/lossless codec wombo combo. There is no fight against FLAC from Opus lovers. They serve 2 different purposes; Opus for audio calls and restricted storage spaces (eg small hard drives on laptops or phones), and FLAC for lossless archival.

Storage is cheap. Just buy a new hard drive, faggots.

It's more so that the formats are used widely enough. It was the same thing for AAC.

HE_AACv2 only supports mono audio. It's not designed for music, it's designed for audio calls, which it's good for; maybe even slightly better than Opus, but *only* in that exclusive place.

Firefox already supports Opus tho

>unnecessarily high bit rates (1000kbps+) when 265kbps is transparent for all intents and purposes
>about 10 times larger than mp3 320kbps
Yeah no, we will continue using lossy formats for the foreseeable future.

Firefox supports FLAC in all branches next week.

You're more likely to find FLAC than Opus in any online store. People are starting to care more about quality, and storage is getting cheaper. The size difference is negligible.

The lossy era will be a distant memory and remembered as the dark era between CDs and lossless formats.

>more widespread than MP3
What would be the point? Ogg Vorbis has been handing MP3 its own ass for years but nobody cares because efficient lossy codecs aren't called for in a world where we now have 1TB SD cards. It's the same reason efficiency is a thing of the past in game design, technology is moving on so fast that it's pointless.
Lossless has always been the goal, lossy was a mere placeholder whilst we got our shit together sorting out storage solutions.

This, flac on my desktop, opus on my phone.

FLAC is obviously superior. How is this even an argument? Why would you want generation loss in 2017?

Vorbis > Opus

Opus doesn't even do VBR correctly. The only use case I see it for is if you're playing it on 10 year old portable players where 128kbit quality doesn't make a difference.

And who would be using a 10 year old portable player that keeps up with technology enough to know what Opus is? It's a solution no one asked for to a problem that doesn't exist.

>Lossless has always been the goal, lossy was a mere placeholder whilst we got our shit together sorting out storage solutions.

THIS.

The main reason lossless is gaining traction is for the niche of normies who are tired of thrice-encoded YouTube rips on various ddl sites. .flac is like a visual indicator that it's what you should download over anything else.

Most people think .opus is a virus anyway

haha its actually ogg vorbis :^)

>opus defense force is in full force

>wanting files to degrade before you download them instead of after you convert them to a lossy format
that's how I know you're retarded

>weeb
>retarded
All in order.

>generation loss
Stop using words you don't understand.

The main thing is this, you're a fucking idiot if you aren't obtaining your music in FLAC or another widespread lossless format for archiving/sharing purposes, the days of lossy codecs are numbered with the rapid progression of solid state storage solutions and in the years to come your 320 CBR discographies will be looked upon with the scorn that films ripped from DVD get now. Future proof your shit and go lossless.

Not to mention that it's also more practical at this very moment in time to have a lossless source available for transcoding into whatever format or bitrate you like for your phone or PAP.

With regards to Opus, it's completely irrelevant which lossy format is the best, because MP3 is the standard and should be stuck to for the convenience of all. Storage is cheap you autistic fucks.

Opus also sucks battery power like crazy, phones already have mp3 decoders

Seriously? It eats battery life? What the fuck is the point of saving a few megabytes on a 32GB drive when it means losing battery life? Which is infinitely more precious on today's smartphones?

Yep. Opus will eat up about 25-50% of one CPU core using software decoding, while mp3 takes nothing because it has an ASIC for it.

Wow, talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face! And this is an actual fucking debate? Comical.

>Opus is lossy and doesn't strive to replace FLAC which is a lossless format. The fact that you're comparing the two shows you barely know what you're talking about.

The problem is that there's no reason to use lossy formats because storage is cheap and huge these days.

FLAC is just plain better. If you're not using FLAC, you can just stream it from a service like Spotify and not have to worry about file formats at all.

What if you aren't a pleb and have your music ripped to WAV, but keep lossy format encodes as well?

put your waves in zip files bro, foobar2000 has an archive reader

tags are for pussies

Any good opus player on android?
jetAudio doesn't show album arts.

VLC, though if you're using Opus in the first place then you're sure to go double snowflake on me and act like a 5 year old at the mere mention of it.

>autistic shit tier DJ

It's essential weebcore, bro.

It's downhill since admin gave rights to some autist to mess with the playlist.

Just an interjection, I'm not saying that you should use lossless when streaming but ~1000 is not 10 times 320.

a FLAC stream is still 1/4th as big as your average youtube video or twitch stream

Still much more than what's needed.

Audio doesn't need to be squeezed into as small a space as possible.

>best lossy codec
>fastest Ford pinto

>complains about generation loss
>posts a 4MB lossy gif made from a lossy mp4 made from a lossy mpeg2 TV stream

GIF is a lossless format.

Opus is VBR by default.

MP3, because it can be played on just about everything.

and only varies ~10kbit

use a proper vbr audio codec like vorbis

>softpedia
>FLAC replace MP3
>comparing different kind of encoders
fuck you cia nigger

Not when your source is more than 256 colors.

Still outperforms Vorbis on VBR listening tests, though.

That said, Vorbis is still pretty good and my second choice for lossy.

Opus is a waste of space for anything but low bitrate files, which FLAC is replacing as we speak

No, it has a limited colour space, so you lose information when you reencode to GIF.

BERATING-CIRNO-SAYING-YOU-SHOULD-KNOW-THIS.png

Yes, this is exactly what streaming us about. Bandwith is critical.

>normies are sick of downloading 3rd gen youtube rips
>go for a format that just as likely might be a 4th gen youtube rip transcoded from the very rip you're replacing it with

Nobody watches shit quality streams.

>an ASIC
there's probably a dozen, and half of them can be used for OPUS probably.

Technically GIF *is* lossless. The format itself doesn't lose any data, it's not GIF's fault you're outside the colour space. Converting to GIF can lose data, but not through compression.

shrinking your colourspace is compression you nincompoop

Normal people do and that's what all these new video and audio codecs are developed for: Netflix and all that jazz.

But if your base image is within the color space there's no other compression so it's totally lossless. Just within its own little box. You can save GIFs as PNG and then as GIF to infinity and not lose any data

It depends on how you define lossy I guess.

opustool with libopus 1.1.3 when

>if
>You can save GIFs as PNG and then as GIF to infinity and not lose any data
the same can be said of any format assuming the codec isn't retarded.

>It's not as good as HE-AACv2 at sub 32kb.
Source?

>postulating an initial open ended question then changing the question to one that seeks validation for your own opinionated answer to the initial question disregarding that the initial question is open ended and has no definitive correct answer

>using the smiley with a carat nose

Not him but one problem with Opus is that at 32kbps it can start switching into voice mode, which is great for audiobooks but not for music. It can help to force the content type to music, though keep in mind that even YouTube doesn't go lower than 50kbps.

At 32k I'd use it for audiobooks anyway.

What do you use to play .opus on your phone?
I bet there are better players than VLC.

Foobar, always Foobar.

>The problem is that there's no reason to use lossy formats because storage is cheap and huge these days.
If you are pleb that only listens to the top ten pop list, maybe. Until I can get 1 TB storage in my phone at the lowest tier it ain't cheap or huge enough to store all my music in FLAC.

I can store much more FLAC on my phone than mp3s on my portable player 10 years ago

I can store more Opus files on my phone than FLAC files.

Yeah, 13 times more.
Average song in opus is 3MB and average song in FLAC is 40MB.

--bitrate 96 gives 160kbps on critical samples. (harpsichord, etc.)

>lossy
>2017

>jpg

>What is the best lossy audio codec
opus
>and why is it Opus?
it's the most efficient and supports everything an end-user needs

>Lossy
>2017
Encode primarily in FLAC, export as mp3 vbr v0 if needed on your portable shit etc.

This is a thread about lossy codecs, genius

if i lose information, how come i can put an opus stream into a gif?
mpv

tell me about opus.

hello ;^)

>mpv

Beliving Flac is actual lossless.

this is what I do as well