/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, and your country if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

General Tips:
>Consider an i5 instead of an i7 if you are not a content creator
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Always consider an SSD for your build

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with
Remember: Be nice and courteous, but don't tolerate people who don't accept help.

Last thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
pcpartpicker.com/list/txrKNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/FWYFYr
overclockers.co.uk/msi-x99a-gaming-pro-carbon-intel-socket-2011-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-31a-ms.html
youtube.com/watch?v=n2dJvqU2_x4&t=371s
overclockers.co.uk/msi-z170a-xpower-gaming-titanium-edition-intel-z170-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-310-ms.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/vHHcyf
overclockers.co.uk/msi-z170a-gaming-m7-intel-z170-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-304-ms.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/KLtZqk
pcpartpicker.com/list/MgPZqk
ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/f67xVY
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

first for LinusTechTips

>Gaming builds based on purpose or display resolution / Hz
>To activate the Description, select build from sidebar then click on the title over the parts list
>Description contains notes, other options, and build skeleton for easy customization / cost savings
>WARNING: Motherboards with Intel's 100 series chipset (B150, Z170, etc) will likely require a BIOS flash to support the new Kaby Lake CPUs!
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

I think hes actually not half bad

Any input in general is appreciated.

Get the i5 7500
The CPU comes with paste

Should I bite the bullet and buy it (price is in CAD)? Or is Kaby Lake worth the extra $60? I was thinking of just getting a locked one for my first build or waiting for Ryzen, but this is tempting.

I mostly play games like Civilization, Total War, Stellaris. Would these kinds games benefit from overclocking? More so than FPS?

Zen is still an unknown, but that looks like a good deal compared to the i5 7600K

Wow, I hope those capacitors are still energized when he cuts the wires and the cutters short wires together as it cuts.

benchmarks generally state that overclocked skylake is about as good as kaby lake

If you have a Z170 Skylake motherboard remember you can overclock locked SKUs

Hope you backup your shit because WD Blues/greens fucking suck

Thank you friendos

I'm on an AMD board right now, it would be for a fresh build. Although I hear that the overclock on the locked ones is negligible? Would it even be worth it to buy a z170 to overclock something like a 6600 or 7600? I'd assume even if it was you'd need to buy an aftermarket cooler, which would drive the cost up.

Dunno about i5s, but locked i3s happily buzz along with 1GHz overclocks

Pretty fun build and cable management was actually pretty okay. I couldn't be artistically autistic about it like in the R5 but it works.

>Budget frankenPC started video card driver and crashing recently after 2 years of perfect running
>run HD test, check temps
>HD is good, temps are alright but slightly higher under load
>check PC in and out
>inside is covered in unknown liquid
>panic that residue from vape juice is ruining PC
>turns out its oil from front case fan shitting out its seal and letting dusty oil grime cover everything leading to occasional overheats

Might need a new CPU cooler though since that fan is tiny and old so its probably close to shot

Damn shame there's no good heavy duty PGA988 cooler options though, might have to frankenstein one or spend $20 on the same mobo supplied one thats noisy as shit

okay so I have a seagate 2 TB that is dying. I'm looking on newegg right now and I see that a 2TB seagate SSHD is cheaper than a 2TB WD HDD. Save me from myself

I found a good deal for a gigabyte GA-3CESL-RH board. That is a dual socket F with 16 dram slots.

It would cost me 25 freedoms. I dug around and it seems that two 6 core oppies and 16 gigs of memory will put me back another 40 freedoms.

Now - this board does not officially support Istanbul oppies, only Barcelona nad Stanta Rosa ones. Do you think those 6-core Instanbuls are going to work properely? I've seen some killer deals on those...

The budget is sub $1500. I already have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, and such. This is meant to be a DX12 ready gaming platform for 60fps max settings no stutter.

pcpartpicker.com/list/txrKNN

I'm looking for a decent cheap-ish ATX compatible case recommendation, preferably with dust filters, decent air flow, and room for lots of fans. This will be my first Intel build, any thoughts would be appreciated.

He's bloody hot.

Which noctua CPU fan should I get if I don't plan on trying to light it on fire with OC, maybe not even OC'ing at all?

I was going to get the Nh-15, but it seems like it may be overkill.

Are mousemats just a meme from the days of grandpa using trackballs in their mice? Do they make that much of a difference?

It creates friction for your mouse to grip onto instead of just sliding all across your desk

Which GTX 1070 is the quietest?

Looking to buy new monitors.

Can't decide between Dell UltraSharp U2515Hx or 27.

zotac 1070 amp extreme

Is it possible for a PSU to stop working while it's sitting around not being used? I shipped out one of my old Diablotek PSUs and apparently it's not working according to the customer. Yeah, I know it's a cheap PSU but it worked for me for a solid 7 months before I replaced it with something better. Now the customer's claiming that the PSU doesn't work at all, neither in the computer or alone when testing with voltmeter.

>he fell for the ebay meme

You should test stuff before you send it out, desu. rip

Building a Pc for gaming and a bit of software development:

pcpartpicker.com/list/FWYFYr

I am from EU, so prices are all over the place.
Is the mobo okay? and what thermal paste is recommended?

any general feedback would be nice

Which 1080 should I go? ASUS, EVGA, ZOTAC or MSI?
First time building a PC and honestly have no experience with these companies.

Always EVGA or MSI.

Looks fine.

Saw the pic and was about to scream at that price, then I saw it's in CAD.

>Is Kaby Lake worth the extra $60?
No

Just pull the trigger on a 6600K and OC to 4.5 and you'll be set.

Thanks, user!

Will look into both versions of the 1080 when I get the time.

>read reviews
>choose the best one
It's not hard, user

Start at Techpowerup

Not really building a PC, I've already got the parts but here's the problem.
A friend built it for me and everything was going fine untill it started blue screening, sent it to the repair shop cause paranoid the guy was a fucking idiot and it turns out the motherboard which was Asus Maximus VIII was fucked. So I sent it back, got a refund and now I'm looking for a new motherboard. Here's one I found from MSI.

>overclockers.co.uk/msi-x99a-gaming-pro-carbon-intel-socket-2011-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-31a-ms.html

Reviews look promising and I can afford this fine, I just wanted some more advice like if you guys know this is actually a piece of garbage that I should stay away from. Here's a list of my other parts as well, though from what I can tell this motherboard would work fine with them...I think.

Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz (Skylake) Socket LGA1151 Processor - Retail

EVGA SuperNova G2 850W '80 Plus Gold' Modular Power Supply

Samsung 500GB 850 EVO SSD 2.5" SATA 6Gbps 32 Layer 3D V-NAND Solid State Drive (MZ-75E500B/EU)
Quantity: 1

Seagate SSHD 7200RPM 3.5" 2TB SATA 6Gb/s 64MB Cache - OEM (ST2000DX001) SSHD Hybrid Drive

Asus PCE-N15 300Mbps 802.11B/G/N Wireless PCI-E Network Adapter

Asus Maximus VIII Formula Intel Z170 (Socket 1151) DDR4 ATX Motherboard

In-Win 909 Design Aluminium Full Tower Case - Black

Noctua NF-A14 IndustrialPPC 3000RPM PWM 140mm High Performance Fan
Quantity: 2

Team Group Delta 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-24000C16 3000MHz Dual Channel Kit - Red Light (TDTRD416G3000H

MSI GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X RGB 8192MB GDDR5X PCI-Express Graphics Card

Noctua NH-D15 Dual Radiator Quiet CPU Cooler with two NH-A15 Fans

>Why the fuck didnt you buy a prebuilt PC if you were gonna get someone to build it for you and the fact that you know nothing about computers

Because I'm a fucking idiot. Please help.

wtf is that chick DOIN???

>buying pc parts with your hard earned money
>not building it yourself
jesus christ

Well I was afraid I would fuck something up since I've never built something that complicated before. I saw my friends built computer which worked fine so it was unlikely his fault. Anyway at this point I don't wanna try anything and let a professional do it.

youtube.com/watch?v=n2dJvqU2_x4&t=371s
Even a beginner can easily follow this. You should look into doing this yourself if you're serious about upkeeping your rig, otherwise such a waste.

X99 motherboards don't work with your cpu, search for a z170 motherboard

I want to get a 144hz monitor but I currently already have a 60hz. If dual use them will it cause any problems? I plan on playing exclusively for 144hz

It's fine

Alright cheers, I found this motherboard, looks pretty good.
overclockers.co.uk/msi-z170a-xpower-gaming-titanium-edition-intel-z170-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-310-ms.html

>everything but the case came today via FedEx
>check the case online, shipping with usps
>usps doesn't do mail today

Fuck black people

What else should I get?

Hey Sup Forums,
So I've never asked in here before, but I'm looking for thoughts. I just transferred my build into a Raijintek styx case (really good looking btw, pic related).

Heres the part list (SSD didn't cost that much though because i have an older model, and one of the hdds is a seagate 1tb but they cost about the same):
pcpartpicker.com/list/vHHcyf

Temps are fine for the most part, low-mid 30s. Helps that the xeon is only an 80w part, but when I work this little thing it'll get really hot like high 80s - low 90s. It's not throttling though so maybe the cooler can handle it? It wasn't an issue in my old case (NZXT Source 210) but I think the airflow must just be that much worse in this new case which sucks, it used to only get up to high 70s-low 80s.

I've been looking at the cryorig C7 to cool it, would that be a good choice? It seems like it'll fit in with the tiny aesthetic without completely taking over the case.

Thanks for any input.

> $85 case

glad thats all one sees out of this post. wow Sup Forums.

Actually researching a bit further I found this one. Looks a lot better.
>overclockers.co.uk/msi-z170a-gaming-m7-intel-z170-socket-1151-ddr4-atx-motherboard-mb-304-ms.html

General question.
I was given a computer case that has more fans than my current build.

There are 2 CPU fan headers and 3 case fan headers on my mobo.

There are 7 fans in the case. Would it be safe to run a splitter for the non CPU fans?

Guys really need help here, I have a Z170 that I'm preparing to update with the Kaby Lake Bios Update. My only concern is if I do the update, and let's say the power goes out or if the CMOS battery gets removed, will the BIOS Update revert or will it stay there unless overwritten? Thanks in advance desu.

The entire reason I came here today is to see if I could surpass the hardware power of the PS4 with a build that is either cheaper or the same price as the PS4 ($400).

pcpartpicker.com/list/KLtZqk

Could I have gone cheaper?

To upgrade my RAM, can I mix different models?
I guess it have to be the same DDR version, but is it a problem if the two memory doens't have the same bus frequency? I heard the mobo will adapt on the slower.

yeah the stock cooler is weak.
If i were you i'd just flip the rear fan first, to see if this helps.
chek pic related

It is strongly recommended that you do not mix models.

hmm ok yeah thats an idea, that back fan probably moves more air in than the bottom fan. Will try.

I want to build a new PC but I don't really enjoy games except for CS anymore. Fuck.

he wears socks with fuckin sandals ffs! i do however respect hes reviews.

what anime is this from? moar?

>I can't reverse image search

Is upgrading E5430 which i cant oc to g4400 or x4 845 worth it?

used £40 intel g3258 oc to 4.4ghz or the new intel g4560 for £65?

Yes

Don't let that happen. You're fucked unless there's some un bricking method like dual BIOS. Why do you want to update the BIOS anyway? Probably no advantage for you if you've got Skylake

No but look into the G4560

G4560. Four threads, modern platform

How can I do it?

Yo bois, will ~750-800$ be enough for a "decent" PC setup?
Mostly used for meme gaming (Overwatch, CSGO)
Like, PC, monitor, keyboard+mouse all included in that price?

First build so I'll be shit at cable management and all that fancy shit.

Depends on how you define decent. With $800 you will have to cut some edges somewhere at some point.
Do you need ALL peripherals, inlcuding speaker+mic or headset? Because if so that's a very tight budget.

1060 3GB or 470 ? Both cost here about the same.

Search "Skylake non-K OC BIOS" for your specific model of motherboard. Then you can overclock as normal, except using the base clock instead of the multiplier. You may have to reduce your RAM multiplier though, because it uses the same base clock.

You lose low power states and core temperature (but package temperature is still fine)

just built a new pc, turn it on and the screen is just blank. all of the fans and lights are working. i've tried everything. do i return the parts?

Any idea when VEGA cards are coming out? I'm new to all this so I don't know how the release schedule works.

Is it one month from now or 2 months? If it's more than that I'll just buy a card now

I enhanced that for you OP. Looks like he's got his lightbulb in the wrong power supply socket. 20pin atx fits nicely in parallel port tho.

For real tho, who the fuck shoots these stock photos?

damn i can't internet today

Assuming that's all you need, it's totally possible.

The Define C/R5 would be a good choice.
If you don't plan on OCing, just get whatever. Just realize that you won't be doing anything with just a fan.
Keeps your desk scratch-free and it's necessary on glass.

May

left or right?

70+ fps gaming @ 1440p

one is more powerful, would not need an overclock

the other is weaker, but can be o/c'd

i'm one of those people who wait for reviews and evidence, so no kaby lake yet.

>Not putting a bulb inside your PSU to test AC lines

left for sure. 1080 is obviously better than the 1070, and the 6700 will do just as good as an OC'd 6600k, better in some games due to more threads.

Right, that's not even a question.

wtf is that bish doin

I should start taking stock photography

you could put all of that into a smaller case, unless you plan on going SLI blunderbuss

Get the 6700k, you won't notice a difference and you're not using 4k so you don't need the decoder

You don't need an m.2 drive, you won't notice any difference from an ssd

why are you getting a 1080 but then getting two 25" 1440p 65hz monitors?

wtf?

get a single 1440p 144hz ya dingus

Posted wrong one. Fixed.

I have a 500 GB Evo from Samsung. No need for HDD.

can I build a complete 1440 medium machine for the price of a 1070?

overridden parts marked not purchased are existing from my i3-2100/4gb/6850 I pulled out of the closet.

overridden parts marked purchased are things I've recently picked up

others are things I need.

Any sugestions welcome. I know it's a little lopsided. was originally going to be a 470/4 but I found the 390x and monitor in a facebook group and picked them up instead.

pcpartpicker.com/list/MgPZqk

ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/f67xVY

I'm unsure about what storage options I should go with. I know m.2 drives are overkill but since my mobo has a slot why not. The samsung 950 and 960 are all sold out/back order/overpriced everywhere here in Canada, should I just settle for an intel 600p?

Also is it fine to use a nas drive in a desktop? I want a lot of storage space and reliability. Thanks.

Samsung 950/960/951 are the only NVME drives worth buying right now
An Intel 600p is almost indistinguishable from a normal SATA SSD except for sequential reads
SATA SSDs are good enough imo, don't waste your m2 slot by getting 5% better than SATA, get a Samsung M2 and get 400% better than SATA if you're getting m2 at all

Is it possible to actually have a decent discussion about building PCs for reasons other than generic gaming?

I want to mess around with designing cases for and building interesting PCs. At the moment the idea is to grab a bunch of old scrap parts and try and make a portable and disposable PC. The other idea is to use a SBC and make a very small portable PC that's battery powered, possibly with a LED light display on the side from the GPIO pins.

And here's a 960 pro

Lemme guess, for emulation gaymen PC?

I want to make a sleeper pc

just gotta find the right case

I want something super deceptive, not hipster ibm trash, something my wife wouldn't even think twice about

Beige casefags are literally worse than edgy gaymen casefags
No, we're not going to search out a case that matches your aesthetic preference, covered with r̶e̶d̶beige paint and having exactly the number of LEDs you want
Do it yourself

I'm in the process of building a home cloud server, but I don't know if I should get a Xeon E3-1260L v5 with a C232 motherboard or take a gamble on the SoC Xeon Ds.

nigger wtf, that is exactly what I don't want

and I never even asked anyone to find me anything, I was trying to have a discussion like the guy asked

calm your autistic ass down

Any ideas on an office / research machine.

I need to push two 1440p monitors. Would a 470 suffice? Paired with an i5 7500

fagg/o/t here

what is the point of a sleeper pc? Are you going to pull up at the dns server, trick a guy with the v8gts under the panel into a bench race for pinks and blow him away with your 486 when you hit the turbo button?

To help learn low level languages

So why an SBC and not a laptop? Laptop would be more versatile, convenient and powerful