/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.
Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread. ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources[*].

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or Mac.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

* Resources:
$ man
$ info
$ help

Your friendly neighborhood search engine:
Try to use a search engine that respects your privacy such as qwant, searx, ixquick or startpage.

Check the Wikis (Most troubleshoots work for all distros.)
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

What distro should you choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

Break out of the botnet:
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux/

Learn more about Free Software:
gnu.org

Try GNU GuixSD:
gnu.org/software/guix/

/fglt/'s website:
fglt.nl/

/fglt/'s copypasta collection:
p.teknik.io/oJR7K

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games:
Part II: Part I: archive.loveisover.me/t/post/707928/

/t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos:
/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:
Part III: Part II: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6767536/
Part I: archive.nyafuu.org/wg/thread/6743571/

Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

itsfoss.com/edit-pdf-files-ubuntu-linux/
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#Microphone_distorted_due_to_automatic_adjustment
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Love you linux-kun!

What do FOSS developers usually do for a living?
The ones not employed by any company to do FOSS development.

Do they work as proprietary software engineers?
Do they contribute to free software only in their spare time as some kind of hobby?

Are there non programmers who contribute to free software?

Eat toe nails.

this is true, sadly..

Just came here to tell you guys that I'm using Arch Linux, if it matters.

There's a special sticker for you in the AUR.

help me anons

i fucking hate these yellow boxes

Tried LibreOffice yet? itsfoss.com/edit-pdf-files-ubuntu-linux/

On Windows I have TeXstudio and MiKTeX. What can I use on a Debian machine to make sure my documents are the same?

I have, it destroys the formatting of most of the PDFs I use unfortunately.

Thank you though user

Would I have time to contribute to free software as a researcher physicist?

as someone else going into research, I think you know the answer to that already

>started with Ubuntu about 2 years ago
>then the great distro hopping began
>finally decided that Antergos is perfect
>many times I can't install stuff from the AUR
>some normal repo apps are fucked up (full of bugs and missing components)
>while it's fast and comfortable, I had to migrate back to Ubuntu
>... which now has even more bugs and video-related problems
>maybe Linux Mint would be a better choice...
>no stamina and patience to continue the distro hopping

Fuck.

Help me get this one. During a class I attended to we used some program on Ubuntu to create and manage virtual networks with virtual machines. The whole thing was about 250 MB and used Java for the interface that set how every VM connected to the network.

No amount of searching the web brought me this program. Do you know of anything that resembles it?

LfS

you have to know what you want, and the best way to do that is by playing with arch or lfs. it can be tedious but once you have the process down in scripts, on paper or whatever then it justwerks.

They do FOSS in their spare time, which is why distributions with paid professionals (Fedora) are much higher quality.

Xen KVM

I'm trying to shrink an md array to 5100GB but the value is overflowing. I'm using debian 8. Using size=max works but I want to shrink it a little so I can add another device that is slightly smaller. I've already shrunk the filesystem.
Anybody know how I can do this?

mdadm --grow /dev/md0 --size=5100G
mdadm: component size of /dev/md0 has been set to 1052770304K
unfreeze

>changing distributions for 2 years
>not figuring out the differences after a week and settling for the one whose core features speak to you the most

What an idiot.

what an asshole

I'm not seeing the part with the GUI for creating bridges

how to upgrade to Debian testing after a fresh install

--size is specified per drive, are you using >5100G disks?

Don't quote me on that, but I think if you set your apt to the testing suite and do a sudo apt-get dist-upgrade it may work

Better yet: why don't you just get the testing ISO and install over?

Because I am to intelligent to do that

Well don't get mad at Debian if go the repo change route and wind up with issues.
The Debian forums have enough people who did that and wound up crying about it.

The disks are 6tb. I have 2 mirrored and I want to make the volume smaller to add a third slightly smaller 6tb drive and convert to raid5.
I think it's hitting some 2tb/32bit limit twice and overflowing, ending up with a size of able 1tb

So it does work? Interesting. I'd suggested without being sure.

I can only imagine what one might go true with it. It was already a pain trying to get a program that required newer dependencies.

Why my laptop doesn't come back from hibernating? I just have to press the power button, right? I'm using fedora 25.

Erm nevermind. I am downloading a testing ISO it turns out

there is a workaround i can think of;
1. copy the contents of the mirror to the new disk
2. destroy the mirror and create a degraded, 2-disk raid5
3. copy the contents back
4. add the new disk to create a 3-disk raid5

this'd take a long time though, i'll have a quick look around to see what the actual issue is

oh, and protip: drives are based on "1K = 1000B", and that's all they guarantee, drives are usually a little bigger than that, but if you use a partition of say, 6,000,000,000B, this will work on any 6TB disk, as that's the guaranteed size

6,000,000,000,000B*

I hadn't thought of that, if I can't get it sorted out I'll probably just do that. I could only find a few posts about this issue and no real solution

I'll keep that in mind when expanding it again so I don't have this problem next time

while it isn't always the case, typically linux tools will recognize suffixes like this;
"K" = 1024B
"KB" = 1000B
"KiB" = 1024B

-- oh, and just in case you didn't know, make sure you resize the filesystem on the raid to something under the size you're shrinking the raid by!
mdadm will not account for what is on it when resizing, if you shrink it, the end of the md disk will just disappear!

is it a meme to start doing comp sci and switch to linux

what is the advantage?

from what i've seen, the --size argument seems to be specifically in KiB's, so to get 5100G, you'd need to specify "--size=5347737600"

That's what I tried first but I got the same result.
I only tried specifying in G because that's what I had to do when resizing the filesystem.
I got an error message saying the value exceeded 32 bits otherwise

>replying to a post
>being a gigantic faggot

What an idiot.

still looking

just though of a faster workaround
1. degrade the mirror so it's a single disk
2. create a degraded 2-disk raid5 with one of the old and the new disk
3. copy the contents over
4. destroy the "mirror" and add it to the raid5

did you create the raid in a 64bit system, and are now on a 32bit one?
it seems like something is different between when you made it and now

are you use a reasonably recent kernel/mdadm?

Learning shit in general is always good.
My life was actually shit before i started using nix.
1 year of researching, attending user groups, trashing vms, servers, etc, later and now i actually have job opprotunities. Paying money i thought you had to have a degree to have.
I really can't think of any disadvantages, even if you just try it once. Wether you love it, hate it, you're still better off for it.

I created in the same 64bit install I'm using now, I've already upgraded the system trying to fix this
I'm running 3.16.7, mdadm 3.3.2 - 21st August 2014. That's the latest available in debian stable

Been distro hopping so much I think my SSD is going to fail

Gentoo is taking FUCKING forever to install on my laptop. Xorg is fucking huge! KDE is a nightmare help!

install debian

>3.16.7, mdadm 3.3.2
pretty old, but it doesn't make sense that you'd be able to create it at that size but not shrink it
i've done a bunch of stuff with mdadm, but haven't had to shrink the component size before

distcc

No, it's shite

Not speaking from experience but doesn't gentoo have to compile stuff, so if you have older technology it'll take a while anyways right?

Would actually like to know this, as this is what i've been told.

yes, while there are some binary packages available on gentoo, typically packages are sources, and are compiled on install

>decide to give opensuse a shot
>4 gig download

what the fuck are they including in this monstrous iso? I can't afford that many megabites on a single distro I might not even like.

Reposting in this thread:

What's a pdf annotation program for linux that lets me add inline text annotations without a box around them?

I used okular but the box is un-resizable, and sometimes is smaller than the amount of text, so I have to click it to show the full annotation.

Pic related is the type of annotation I want, what PDF reader can do this in linux well? I used to use Foxit for this on windows.

Here is an example of Okular annotations, "acid" is cut off to "aci" and the textboxes have backgrounds, i want them to be transparent

net installs senpai

What did he mean by this?

GNU/Linux*

net installs senpai

is net install basically a minimal install? Either way my net is so slow it would take multiple days to do that.

A netinstall starts with the bare minimum amounts of packages needed to get your PC online. Once online, the remaining packages needed to get you a complete system is downloaded from the 'net.

Depending on the distribution of choice, a netinstall could technically be no different from a regular installation, aside from starting with up-to-date packages, but usually net installs do offer you the choice to only install the packages you want.

But well, it'd require a net connection either way, so you'd likely be better off downloading the 4GB iso using a public net somewhere.

TeXstudio and TeXlive
TeXstudio is cross-platform. Not sure if it's in apt, but you could just compile it if it isn't.

What do you mean with your documents staying the same, though? The document should look more or less the same regardless of your LaTeX distribution.

Also, I used TeXstudio but have recently switched to Emacs evil-mode with AUCTeX, and I can highly recommend it.

Replace "jessie" with "stretch" in /etc/apt/something something sources.list

Make sure you know how to log into root from the terminal, because when you do apt-get dist-upgrade, it'll tell you to apt autoremove, and this may remove kdm (if you're using KDE)

It's easy to just apt-get install kdm afterwards tho

Most secure and reliable VNC server for Linux?

First of all, GNU/Linux*
Second, I do something completely unrelated to computers (nanoscience) and thus shouldn't conceivably have need of GNU/Linux that much, but using it has made me so much more comfy in daily use.
If you enjoy using your keyboard over your mouse, I can't imagine ever wanting to stick to Windows.
Everything feels faster, more intuitive and more reliable now. I don't bang my head against a wall wondering why something doesn't work. I look it up and apply what I learn, because there is no obfuscation.

I don't miss any software from Windows. For photo editing I have Krita, Inkscape, GIMP. For video stuff I have ffmpeg. I still have most of my games (I play more indie games than AAA stuff), and I have way less issues with drivers (no seriously, just plug in my PS3 controller and be done, no fiddling with SCP).

Software updates are a breeze, I don't have to do any maintenance, cron is amazing, I can make everything look better and I have way less eye strain (I'm photophobic due to some medication I take (not autism), so dark themes are incredibly helpful for me)

I can't think of a single advantage Windows has, honestly. Saying that it's easy to use is like claiming Notepad is better than vim or emacs because it's simpler. Yeah you'll stumble in either of the two latter editors for a while, but once you learn (and it doesn't take long), you'll feel disgusted at your old self.

It's still a complete meme though, real talk.

How secure does it need to be? What's wrong with good ol' tigerVNC?

Just secure enough for Chong or Vlad not to hack my Ubungo desktop and steal my holiday photos.

vnc isn't secure, tunnel it over ssh

ssh user@server -L5990:localhost:5900
vncviewer localhost:5990

>youtube-dl being a dick
>check version
>2106.02.22

ubuntu LTS not even once.

How do I make a live USB from Windows on a USB stick with an EXT4 file system?
Cygwin's dd takes forever.

win32diskimager

With a block size of 4MB, it'll take way less.

>2106.02.22
shit man thats way newer than what i got!

Hehe

you know what i meant smart guy better watch that mouth of your before i fill it up with my butt.

youtube-dl has like no dependencies what so ever though. You can just grab the latest version and drop it in /usr/local/bin without fear of missing any deps, or even just do "sudo youtube-dl -U" to temporarily update the local version until the repos update.

>fedora
>higher quality
comparing it to what? solus?

Netctl and wifi-menu can suck a huge fat one.
>generates hyphenated profile by default
>system doesn't like hyphens. Renames your files
>all wifi profiles fails always.

Network manager and nmtui just werks. :^)

>What do FOSS developers usually do for a living?
Depends on their project success. It goes kind of in tiers
1. Several dozen companies need your software so your day job is just writing FOSS living off donations
2. You work at a company that maintains a FOSS project for it's internal usage/sale.
3. You do FOSS work in your spare time, but get donations/free vacations (conference speaking trips).
4. You do FOSS in your spare time, evenings and weekends.

Are there non programmers who contribute to free software?
The book keeping/documentation side. But most of these people are developers secondarily so not really. There are FOSS lawyers, but nobody likes laywer.

Sounds like slave work.

All work where your excess value is stolen from you is slave labor

"excess" value is nebulous at best

If you're doing work and getting paid for it, you're generating more value than you're getting paid for the work, or else you'd figuratively be a drain

should I install Funtoo or Gentoo?
I know funtoo is more up to date, but if I'm going to waste my time with a source based distro, I might as well go full autism

Email clients that don't suck?

I think funtoo is easier to start with

only some of funtoo's programs are more up to date. funtoo focuses on being more stable than gentoo
anything as long as you don't install it on a vacuum.

how so?
>more stable

>more stable
if you don't believe me, its on funtoo.org

I feel like using gmail is completely retarded because of the botnet, but what alternatives are there even if you wanna use an e-mail client

I can't really set up a mail server, I don't have the patience to deal with Russian skiddies

How can a rolling release be more or less stable than another?

You control the program when you are writing it. You are controlled by the program when you are using it.

it isn't bleeding edge

When I use my microphone the system always boost the sound of the mic and that create distortions that annoys everyone I talk to.
I found in the archwiki this wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting#Microphone_distorted_due_to_automatic_adjustment
but it didn't worked.

Any idea ?

Just go with Gentoo and ~amd64 (testing) for the whole system

Is gentoo bleeding edge? because that would be a pro to me
I'm running a laptop, not a server, so if shit breaks it's not the end of the world