Cassette players are technology! Old technology that is

Cassette players are technology! Old technology that is.

Do you own a cassette player, if so which one and what functions does it have?

Bought any new cassettes or got any tips for beginners, then share them here.

Do you think cassettes are making a comeback as big as the LP?

I just bought myself a Sony Ex368, which is made from aluminum.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/IJ81-TMP4pI
youtu.be/erpZRWYASws
youtu.be/J8QoiYP-Of4
youtu.be/J8QoiYP-Of4?t=218
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I think cassettes are good for making your own analog media, for Hi-Fi setups where a vinyl LP isn't available or is too expensive on vinyl (pic related). You're losing audio fidelity from the source material but it is nice to get that warm analog feeling when listening to music. Also something is just awesome about slotting a cassette into your player.

Gonna be buying a full size cassette deck soon, then make myself some bootlegs of albums I can't afford physical releases of. Gonna probably buy some vaporwave too.

Anyone tried using one of these Walkmans as an AMP already? Get a cassette to aux cable and enjoy walkman fidelity.

Oh that sounds awesome, is it true that you lose quality when you switch from lp to cassette or is the effect very minimal?

>cassette deck
Is that like a full-on station for cassettes, sorry but I'm still a bit new to the cassette technology.

>Gonna probably buy some vaporwave too
Yeah I've seen that being a trend around on bandcamp, that's probably one of the reason I bought one.

I don't think that would actually work, but cassette players are pretty cheap nowadays. So why don't you buy one yourself and try it out?

Why? Literally fucking why?

Why are you so autistic that you want to PURPOSEFULLY use an INFERIOR medium? Magnetic mediums are fucking AWFUL and there's a good god damn reason we moved away from them.

Enjoy your shit quality and passive degradation.
Enjoy the motherfucker literally just not playing one day no matter how well you take care of it.

Fucking WHY?

Why not get a god damn Laserdisc player while you're being a faggot?

>I don't think that would actually work
What makes you think so?

non that user but
for starters, theres the cable that comes out from the cassette. If you close the lid on a Walkman you'll fuck up the cable and the walkman as well

Because a lot of bands only released their music on tape, so therefore much of that music will be lost in time.

Who cares about superiority, if it sounds good and the quality is lossless then it's alright.

Instead of always looking forward, you should try looking sometimes and embrace the tech that gave you the possibility to have something like the mp3.

There is no one autistic here, just people interested in another medium.

The more correct way to say it is that I still own cassette players. Theyre in my closet. Several models, walkmans, bigger desktop units, and a microcassette recorder.

My microcassette recorder was my red box for many many years. Still loaded with that tape - first 30 seconds are red box tones, the rest of the tape is other shit including some music, and a voice recording of the cops that time they searched my bedroom in high school. Good times

Yeah but there's gonna be a way, that's just plastic.

Then digitize the tapes and play them forever and ever.
Relying on an unstable medium when you don't have to doesn't make you smarter or more in touch with technology, it makes you a fucking Luddite.

You can appreciate the things that lead to our current state of technology while still acknowledging that they were shit and you're better off without them.

It's just a presumption that cassettes are shit. Most people back in the day would record the radio with their cassette player (mind you probably car radio), and do shit like play it back in a fucking moving car, and also play them in shitty boomboxes - (ie ghetto blasters).

A cassette made in a factory will sound superb, and it has a different sound to it that you can't get out of digital. This sound is worse in technicality, but comforting for some. Pitch problems in a cassette are usually the result of a shitty player stretching the tapes. Also, why not have an analog version of an album when you've already been able to download the digital copy for next to nothing or free (via bandcamp, subscriptions, or FLAC rips)

I have all my digital music files on my phone so I see no reason in buying CD's so I buy analog digital formats (LP, Cass), sometimes they can sound better due to different mastering (see pink floyd, Michael Jackson and rage against the machine)

I'm not arguing that tapes CAN be good, but even under ideal conditions they still degrade over time and they will NEVER have the fidelity that superior mediums have.

Correcting myself, I buy analog PHYSICAL formats

God damn that walkman is sexy
That's the same as asking audiophiles why they use such delicate medium as vinyl. Some people just like that lo-fi sound on certain types of music. Also everything is so solid state these days that something doing anything with motion feels comforting...

But were tapes really shit at the time? I'm not saying I've taken an interest into cassettes to act more intelligent than others, that is your perception of the ordeal.

But if you digitize everything, you will lose the charm of what once was.

Lmao they find anything? What was the suspicion for?

>willingly thinking the idea of fucking up a memorable product just for meme status with Sup Forums and Sup Forums

FUCKING END YOURSELF RIGHT NOW!

>a voice recording of the cops that time they searched my bedroom in high school
upload it

>doing things for "meme status"
>hating on people doing things for so called "meme status" in the first place
Nigger get over yourself

>God damn that walkman is sexy

Well it's up for grabs since I found it on ebay, if you'd like I could provide you with a link.

Sorry for taking a while to respond.

Whenever you convert from digital to analog, and from analog to digital there is quality loss. There will also be quality loss when you go from an LP to a cassette, but it's not to the point where it will effect your enjoyment of music. But if you convert anything to MP3 you will lose heaps of musical clarity - mp3's are made to quick serve people digital music, by compressing it to download fast and fit on your phone/not fill up your hard drive. Cassette and Vinyl are both analog mediums which don't compress, so it's safe to say that the only drop you'll see will depend on the type of tape you use (search type1 vs type2 tape on google, buy type 4 (metal tape) if you really want high quality. Metal tape was used for studio recordings (and original master tapes of albums) before high quality digital recording was a thing. Just make sure your player has a metal tape mode on it.

Cassette deck is like how you have a seperate CD player in a hi-fi setup. It's one component of the hifi setup that you buy on eBay (buy a 90's one from a reputable brand, see techmoan or vinyleyezzz videos on cassette for information), but basically all it does is read the cassette and feed the signal into your Hi-fi's receiver/stereoAmplifier. It will give you the best sound as it's not an all in one player, more like a dedicated machine for reading cassettes. Also, if you spend good money (~$300) it'll treat your cassettes really nice.

Also yeah vaporwave makes sense on cassette

I own a CD/cassette boombox from Lenox. The only cassettes I listen to are the occasional audiobook and C64 game.

Nice warm analog distortion, but the sound quality can be incredibly shitty with cassettes. While I have a cassette player, I only use it if I don't have a vinyl of the music.

i have cassette player in my car, it feels nostalgic when i use it.

I always wanted to write driver and make proper electronics so i could use my c64 cassette player with PC. Having bunch of files on audio cassettes would calm my tech autism down a little.

Senpai I just sold a cassette for $75 recently. A cassette I bought for $6 2 years ago that was an edition of 50.

i have both a walkman and the 'tape to aux', and can confirm this does work. as user said, you have to close the tape door real hard, but since its a chink tape to aux adapter the wire is really thin

Nice, how does it feel? How does it sound like? Lots of noise?

What was on the tape, though?

Tape players are so retro and cool, and so nostalgic. If we can just all fiercely ignore cassette decks that would eat tapes, then it will never have happened. Us 80's kids etc, back in the day, etc etc. Also if you try very hard you can ignore the degradation on the remaining world's stock of cassettes that you happen to have. just shove that tape in, and start screaming "A E S T H E T I C S" and yes I spell it out every time

You sure showed me, fagtron. With those hot opinions of yours.

I have an LG hifi system that came with a cassette player, but it stopped working. Shame, I had a bunch of neat stuff. I'll get around to getting it fixed eventually

youtu.be/IJ81-TMP4pI

youtu.be/erpZRWYASws

youtu.be/J8QoiYP-Of4

youtu.be/J8QoiYP-Of4?t=218

Im to young, My first music player was a CD player :(

Casette player in my Beocenter 9300 and also got a Sony Walkman Sport lying around. Jelly?

I'm jelly about the Beocenter, not that much for the sport since that piece is ugly as sin.

We all gotta start somewhere, bud.

My Sony TC-K630ES, dad gave it to me since he doesn't use it anymore.

This thing is just fun to use.

I want to get a tape player with a radio built in so that I can listen to tunes while traveling on the cheap rather than pulling my phone out and getting mugged. Are there any models that have a radio and loudspeaker?

That's in good nick for something that came out in 1989. Your dad must of looked after it. I've got an old akai reel to reel player that's fucked due to years of abuse

My stereo setup has a disk changer, a turntable, and a cassette deck and recorder.

Which means I can record from vinyl to cassette if I wanted, I guess.

Yeah as you can see it's got a few nicks on the front edge but other than that it sounds fantastic. He really only used it to record his band's music and any music he had on vinyl back in the 90s.

I recently became interested in cassettes and he straight up gave it to me, it was untouched for 20 years.

>Which means I can record from vinyl to cassette if I wanted, I guess.