/pcbg/ - PC Building General

Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions in general.

Always state the purpose of your PC, your budget, and your country if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or to improve specs or build quality.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Have a budget, but don't know where to start? This will recommend you a parts list based on price.
logicalincrements.com/

General Tips:
>Consider an i5 instead of an i7 if you are not a content creator
>Consider stock fan+heatsink for any i3 or locked i5 build
>Consider a H110 or B150 mobo for any i3 build
>Always consider an SSD (240GB ist recommended) for your build

>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice, Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/9Pbm4nHL

>Information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with
Remember: Be nice and courteous, but don't tolerate people who don't accept help.

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/WGKTjc
pcpartpicker.com/list/pHbqwV
pcpartpicker.com/user/theprimer/saved/#view=trkhP6
fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series
pcpartpicker.com/list/k89f2R
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQj6KZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/hqh49W
pcpartpicker.com/list/f7G76X
wccftech.com/intel-pentium-g4560-ultimate-budget-cpu-65-usd/
ssd.userbenchmark.com/
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hate me nerds but it's equal to a 6600k/gtx 1060 build for dirt cheap.
FUCK DRUG ADDICT BURGLARS
R I P NEW SKYLAKE PC

Unfortunately, you can't overclock the 6400.

So your best bet is to go with a used 6600K(The -K denotes that the processor is unlocked for overclocking with Z170 chipset motherboards.)

You literally can. That motherboard has a bios that lets you change BLCK on any skylake chip.

Is it worthwhile building a home server on an opteron 4365 EE CPU? I can get a Mobo+CPU for $120. 8 cores, cheap ecc ram under 40W for that money seems nice.

I want to experiment with containers, especially Docker, and VM networking.

nice video game consoles

>XFX R9 290
enjoy your 5min card, get sapphire or at least gigabyte

Dumb question coming through, choo choo

When I turn on my PC, my fans spin up for like a second before the whole thing shuts down again. Now, it only does this when I plug it into a new socket each time, otherwise it just straight up refuses to power on.

Is my PSU dead? All I did was move my rig from one place to another. I've tried swapping RAM, and it didn't do anything.

pcpartpicker.com/list/WGKTjc
Pls rate and suggest improvements

anyone in san diego wanna buy my pc? Ill sell it for very cheap, or you can just take parts you want

fury x
G1 z97
three sets of 16gb (2x8) ddr3
silverstone 700w
benq xl2730z monitor (144hz 1440p)
ducky shine 4 keyboard

email me if interested

Any recommendations on a text reading and writing monitor(s)? I read a lot of articles and write a lot of papers. I can go up to 1000 USD, but a little over is fine. I'd prefer to have two.

Im all for overclocking but the 6600k is designed to be overclocked, meaning an blck-overclocked 6400 won't match a multiplier-overclocked 6600k. But that's still a good option and a good deal to Z170 a 6400.
The 290x... I mean that's 470-tier performance, it'll be perfect for 1080p but not for too long

Looks bretty good. Can probably get cheaper ram with same specs.

Yeah when I added that set it was cheaper. Didn't notice till now

DDR4.

When does DDR4 become wortg it at what.bandwidtg and at what CAS latencies?

3200mhz with 15CL seems to be the sweet spot. But I already have 3600mhz with 16CL DDR3.

What's the math and where's the math comparing the two?

Get 3000MHz RAM
Get 240GB SSD
Get RX 470 rather than 290. Same perf, but the 470 has a LOT of advantages

Yup, seems like PSU. Could be that another component has shorted. Strip the PC down to the basics

Shitty monitor

Consider an ultrawide instead of two monitors

Frequency divided by the CAS latency gives a rough approximation of relative performance
The main advantage of ddr4 is that it can be clocked insanely high at normal voltages; ddr3 at 2400mhz is actually better than ddr4 at 2400mhz, the difference is that 4266mhz ddr4 actually exists and ddr3 tops out, even with extra voltage, long before that point
The "sweet spot" refers to the fastest ram you can find at a good price, not necessarily performance between ddr3 and ddr4
Basically is just get the fastest ram that you're comfortable with paying for, lower CAS is better but latency should be an afterthought once you've chosen your frequency, since increasing frequency quickly accumulates way more performance than lowering latency

So no, I doubt new ram performance gains would even be testable, let alone noticable, let alone worth it

How is it shitty
It's only 254
It's 1444p
It's an IPs panel
1 ms response time.
The only thing that could be improved is the frequency response but a 144hz panel with the same specs would be around 500 dollar.
Not looking to argue, just genuinely curious about better options in the same price range.

I'm going to be upgrading RAM soon. Should I keep the pre existing 4gb and add 8gb, or remove the 4gb entirely and replace it with the 8gb?

It's actually 4ms pixel response time, don't ever say an IPS monitor has that fast of pixel response, at the moment that's impossible
Also I think that's a good monitor for the price

Yeah sorry I was looking at the wrong spec sheet

if your 4GB of ram is single channel and you want to add an 8gb stick, don't. If it's 2x4GB that you want to add, it should be fine as long as they're the same frequency. But if it's a single stick of 4GB and you want to add a single stick of 8GB, just replace it with the 8 entirely.

>[email protected]
>anyone in san diego wanna buy my pc?
No, but you obviously wanted to be signed up for a gay black dating website.
No problem m8, i got you covered, enjoy your enrichment.

What do you guys think? Already started purchasing parts

He's in San Diego he's already signed up to gay black dating sites

why the i5 instead of an i7? and the fan controller is gonna mess with your led fans

Are m.2 drives a meme?

You need adaptive sync (freesync/gsync depending on gfx card) and a high refresh rate. You're probably the same guy from the last thread, but if you're too poor for a nice 1440p monitor, you're too poor for 1440p.

Just buy another 4GB stick. 4 + 4 = 8, retard

Seems to me like it's about cable management. You basically have "flash" memory on the board

NVME drives we're very well popularized in a small group and then repeatedly spread throughout the Internet, parroted by people who first read about then

Yes

What am I reading here

The meme himself

No seriously, what do the letters on the left mean, and how do they prove that the m.2 is inferior to a traditional ssd.

So the m.2 does have a slight advantage.

You don't NEED any of this
And I agree there are better panels out there. But for the time being this could be considered the best value for the price. I would rather get something like this now that I am building a whole new system and invest in something truly nice in the future, such as an ultra wide.

pcpartpicker.com/list/pHbqwV

pcpartpicker.com/user/theprimer/saved/#view=trkhP6

Google crystaldiskmark for literally any SSD except the M2 I posted

My Intel 750 boots in 3 seconds once the bios loads

>boot times
>SATA vs NVME vs AHCI
>nothing about whether this is power-on time or after BIOS
Yeah that seems like a Sup Forums benchmark

Needs more leds

You're gonna want more memory. And a cheaper case.

Oh it's gonna be seen from space

Is 12/18/24GB RAM fine? Is there any problem with non powers of 2?

Has anyone ever broken their front panel clips? I've got a Define S, and the front panel pulls off when you tug the bottom. Haven't broken anything yet, but I could see it happening in the future. Would I repair with epoxy or something?

Get 3000MHz memory

It's fine

About to buy, any last minute changes?

It's fine but excessive. You better have a really nice monitor to go with it or you'll be wasting mommy's money

Might want the EVGA version so you can step up to the 1080Ti when it comes out

Why do I need 60 Hz instead of 59 Hz?

Mobo and GPU are probably trash, if you don't plan on using the ODD cage get the define S or C and get additional fans.

Will it launch within 90 days?

What are the main differences between s and c?

the s stands for shit and the c stands for cuck

fractal-design.com/home/product/cases/define-series

Thanks. Would you recommend after market fans in either of these?

The ram is 3000mhz
I have storage devices
The 290 is about 10% faster than a 470 and I can push it with that cooler.

its so bad i dont even know where to start. do you hate having money

getting all that, and no i7?

Go with the Asus Strix 1070 boosted version (there's two versions of this, get the boosted version), it was benchmarked to be right behind the zotac AMP

Fractal fans aren't the best but they are ok, most cases come with 2x120 or 2x140 preinstalled. Basically your call, i'd get at least one extra for the front.

This will be my first build after I joined the dark side of console gaming a long time ago, now that I'll quit on consoles what do you think?

pcpartpicker.com/list/k89f2R

>The 290 is about 10% faster than a 470 and I can push it with that cooler.
Doubt it, pic related.

The ref 470s are underclocked and overvolted at stock, so you can get a fairly large overclock to 1340MHz on the binned chips. 290 is a bad purchase

Drop cooler, drop one stick of RAM
Get 240GB SSD

Pic is here

My build is a lot like yours, but with less HD space. Take a look.
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZQj6KZ

is there any gain to partitioning my ssd for os and storage?

pcpartpicker.com/list/hqh49W
4TB is overkill imho, so smaller disk, rest of the build is improved, cooler is optional although recommended.

Yeah 4TB Is way too much, prolly will only get a 2TB HDD

I'll get the 240GB one for sure

pcpartpicker.com/list/f7G76X
Don't feel like getting more than four cores
I only want the best

Can anyone recommend a total newbie a cheap good-enough build for 300$ CAD? Already have the case and there is no need for a GPU. It'll be used for browsing the web and the occasional emulation gaming and not much else. Must be mini-ITX

>I only want the best
>no LED PSU
>no LED strips
>no LED fans

>No LE LED NVME ECC SSD

>No RGB cupholder

There's no need. I've got enough fast storage with 960 PROs in RAID0, Intel 750 in RAID0, and WD Blacks in RAID10.

I want the best PSU, so LEDs are not good enough. LED strips, fans, custom cables, and other accessories will come in time once I get all the parts together and built.

>no fluorescend liquid metal TIM

i think you should quit on video games totally

But for realsies how's that 750 setup? I have one 750 and considered raid, I don't necessarily need it though

>When you've quit gaming besides idolshit mobage and you've built yourself a smoll computer with tons of storage for chinese cartoons

It's the new pentium G4560 the new king of budget pc gaming, or just a meme?

wccftech.com/intel-pentium-g4560-ultimate-budget-cpu-65-usd/

That's not a 750, that's a cheap-ass 730. I don't have them yet, I'm ordering the parts now and I'm wondering if I should add 10 Gig Ethernet cards for them fast gaming speeds.

Performance is comparable to the i3-6100. A small drop but it's probably worth saving the money if you're building something so low-end in the first place.

Where can I find legit replacement wireless antennas? I don't like the antenna that came with my motherboard (cable's real flimsy) and I want the kind that are like the ones on a router.

>spend tons of money on a ballin SSD
>didn't go ballin enough
>still poorfag hardware
kms

How would that even work? There isn't even a CPU installed...

Just look up "router antenna" on ebay, amazon, or whatever you use, since most wireless cards use the same type of antennae (from personal experience). The plug on your mobo looks compatible with router antennas. If you have a router with multiple antennas, you could even try removing one from it and installing it on your computer to test compatibility.

>Not wirelessly receiving your CPU

Get a cheap SSD. The performance jump from a HDD to an SSD is huge, the performance jump from a cheap SSD to an expensive SSD is minor in comparison.
ssd.userbenchmark.com/
Either the Trion 240 or the PNY 240 is good, get whichever's cheaper

hey /pcbg/
i want to create a sleeper out of this any recommendations?

out of what? your post?

Sorry

Not a meme, I've already updated the pcbg pcpartpicker with them
pcpartpicker.com/user/pcbg/saved/

I need to continue to refine/update the builds, but those builds are still great. One thing I might change is the Z170 boards to Z270 in some of the non-OC builds (better boost tech, "Enhanced Turbo", or some shit, which allows all cores to boost to the maximum single core boost). I need to figure out if Enhance Boost/Turbo works on both mobo chipsets as long as the Z170 has been flashed with a new BIOS update.

it all depends on what kind of mobo you can fit in there...

Make it a sweet DOS video game rig.

>So, in the case of the Core i5 7600K we're reviewing here, base and turbo clocks receive a significant uplift - run the chip on a Z170 or Z270 board, hit the XMP button in the BIOS and you'll have a processor running at 4.2GHz on all four cores with zero effort required. 'Enhanced Turbo' is part and parcel of XMP memory overclocking on all enthusiast boards these days.
eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2017-intel-core-i5-7600k-review

A pretty good review, with some interesting information about overclocking vs DDR4 speed performance benefits

How did I do boys? Total before tax was 1425 CAD = 1100 USD

You already fucked up on that memory though. Read the review posted here for information on RAM speed (2133/2400/3000/etc)

According to the article,
>anything higher than 2133MHz frequencies are not possible on existing Skylake-based motherboards. Kaby Lake introduces support for 2400MHz DDR4, which should extent to lower-end boards. So not only will we see a frequency boost to the processor itself, but the chip should produce better gaming performance if paired with faster memory.

I don't see how I fucked up, since I didn't get a Kaby Lake chip. Correct me if I'm wrong

no need really, especially with a solid overclock on the i5, it should be able to run all the games i ask of it at 1440

This is from a previous i5 review

literally only going to be used for light web browsing

>not using cloud computing
I bet he doesnt even use geforce now