/dpt/ - Daily Programming Thread

What are you working on, Sup Forums?
Old thread:

Why would Cirno ever feel the need to program when she can fly around and freeze stuff

Cirno's programs fly around memory and freeze the system.

starting to hate anime more and more, or to be precise the people who post muh anime outside of their boards

i know, i know anime website bla bla, i'd be ok with that if the anime posters weren't such annoying people, or the majority of them

Fuck off, Rajesh. You sperged out for literal months wrapping your poo-in-loo "buu huuu animoooooooooo" statements in code blocks for every thread.

Nobody cares.

This is my first time using a streaming API, and in essence I am taking the items being streamed, analyzing them, and essentially making a score based on the string's contents.

However, if I just run the method it'll run forever and I won't have any way to see my results. I think using time.wait would be kind of crappy and not helpful, so would anyone have any input on how you might solve this?

Maybe counting number of strings counted, and stop after I get N strings? Then, if I want to run it for an extended period of time, I can make a for loop in my main method to repeat it for however many trials I want

cool
now fuck off

Programming is one of the most creative careers you can possibly have, assuming you're actually designing the solution and working with the business users to meet nebulous goals.

A proper software developer solves actual problems; they don't just write code.

If you're writing code all day without actually creating and designing things, and coming up with unique solutions to problems, you're a pajeet.

grapefruits taste gross

The whole thing is logic, there's some amount of a kind of creativity involved but there's not an infinite set of solutions to any given problem in programming.

If you go into programming expecting an abundance of creativity and freedom, feeling like a special snowflake and all that other art bollocks then you'll be sorely disappointed.

There is creative leeway in designing algorithms, structures, etc, but I personally would not classify it as classically creative. It's creative in much the same way being a cook is creative.

Many business problems have an insane amount of permutations of potential solutions to a given problem. There really is a massive amount of creativity if you're in charge of designing and creating the solution.

>designing algorithms, structures, etc
You're thinking incredibly small. A business problem may be something as simple as "I want to see if there's any unusual activity on my network."

From there, you can tackle this in many different ways. On on occasion, we identified that they were using LogicMonitor on their firewalls. I designed a solution that used their APIs and a mobile application that would show the CIO up-to-minute reports based on real-time streaming API data containing VPN activity logs. It would create push notifications if there was anything particularly troubling, and he could also annotate and email shots of the reports to other people in his organization.

Obviously, the original issue could have been tackled in other ways, with other tools, with other languages, with other frameworks, etc. and the project would have looked completely different when all was said and done.

Really, at the end of the day, we were just providing peace of mind to an overpaid C-level exec.

hello world in C++. I already failed.

kill ursel

>tfw no motivation to program anything because you're doing it alone and nobody cares about anything you make.

but I know python:

print "Hello World"

>ursel

that could be a cute trap's (programming) name

Being in that kind of position is hardly the norm, especially given the amount of time and experience you need to get to that point.

You have to look at programming alone and not the job surrounding it, if you can't cut it as a code monkey then you'll never make it that far.

Why does android's mediaplayer class randomly die while streaming .ogg from a webserver? I have literally found no way to fix this.

bytecode interpreter

any tipps on how to design the bytecode itself?

kys

stop
easy to interpret

t. fox after trying to learn a real language

Stop being emotional over stupid shit and go make something!

But that's the whole essence of programming.

>stop
Rajesh from the third post detected.

Turn syntax highlighting off

Global constants are ok, right?

>Not programming for the love of programming itself
>Caring too much for the praises of others

>Being in that kind of position is hardly the norm, especially given the amount of time and experience you need to get to that point.
You're right, it's not the norm.

However, I designed this project and got it done with a small team, and only had two years of experience at the time.

Hell, it probably could have been done better in other ways. There's certainly issues with my design. That being said, the client was happy, and the project was satisfying to architect and complete.

It just seems like many anons in these threads have their mind set on a particular algorithm or tedious little optimizations when they could be creating some really neat things by actually exploring all the frameworks and tools out their that work with their language.

That algorithm could be part of one of many methods comprising a a single class of many classes in a single library of many libraries tied into a program that's using a particular framework that's hosted on a particular platform backed by a particular security system. Not saying you in particular, I just think /dpt/ as a whole should take a few steps back and look at the big picture sometimes.

>easy to interpret
Such in a way as.. ?

Yes

No.

Not typically. Depends on the scenario.

four = 4 :: Int

In small programs sure. In large programs consider making them local then if something wants to change it, just make it take the old one as an argument and return the new value and make the program with access to the variable set it

well if you are writing an interpreter it's generally easiest (for me anyway) to interpret a scheme type language

use prefix notation for example in your bytecode, that's easy to parse recursively

you are obsessed

>learning some high-level language after plain C
I am pretty amused by various convenient features

Same. Why don't you start an OSS project and I'll help contribute to it?

Why?

>tfw your language isn't used by anyone else but no fucks are given

I'm actually not parsing anything right now. I'll write a compiler for a language another time but test feed it with raw numbers.

that's okay
theres plenty of haskelites on here

c is convenient

Convenience is the name of the game when programming. Manipulating memory buffers directly is something you do either when proper memory management is crucial to performance, or when the task in question is low level in nature.

*puts in a while true do without putting a wait()*

>bytecode
>syntax
ok

anything can be bytecode

I finally got some spare time.
Time to read Realm of Racket.

What git client do you use?

inb4 command line - it's good for basic tasks, but i hardly imagine tracking more complex git flows and switching between multiple repositories

no

GitKraken

t. oop noob

Sourcetree. Usually command line though.

>but i hardly imagine tracking more complex git flows and switching between multiple repositories
That's where you're wrong.

You wouldn't use C for prototyping.

Well, yes, it's not like people wanted to program in plain machine code.

>prototyping
This is a meme. There's no such thing as "prototyping" code.

What would you call a sandboxed, dry-run that's an attempt to solve a particular problem then?

I know what I'd call it.

Code that's in development? You either know how to solve the problem or you don't. If you know how to solve it, you go straight to implementing the solution. If you don't, you figure out how to solve it, then go to implementing the solution. There's no reason to mix in another language.

SmartGit

comfy and powerful

command line

>If you don't, you figure out how to solve it

And one of the best way of figuring out how to solve a problem is to prototype.

Checkmate.

is turning the IDE background color dark a meme?

y

n

nope, it makes you even more productive than programming socks

no it's aesthetic

Can you repeat the question?

Well alright then user. Let's do this!

>EC9FF9880A1F774806AE3C3E6851743A6C4D150ED679EC6FDE8B9FDDF5697D5B45B08F0E0E34

Maybe if you're a millennial. Usually I just think things through, maybe sketch something out on paper or something. I've never through to myself "wow I wonder if this quicksort actually sorts a list... better check it in python first!". Most of the time when I don't know if something will do the trick, it's a question of language, library or API features. And those all need to be tested in the language I'm actually going to develop the final solution in.

>Let's do this!
>>EC9FF9880A1F774806AE3C3E6851743A6C4D150ED679EC6FDE8B9FDDF5697D5B45B08F0E0E34
is that a hash of ur mom

ive done this

>tox

AHAHAHAHAHA

Is it a meme to turn IDE background color dark?

light during the day
dark at night

>not setting every app you use to dark
wow, maybe you even lurk Sup Forums on Yotsuba?

I lurk in Futaba

Reply hazy, try again

>light background
>serif font
disgusting

There is a project idea I had last night but i found it already exists on github

Should I do it?

contribute to already existing project

>Not using toxme.io

>he doesn't use futaba

Everything has already been done.

Adderall vs Vyvanse?

isopropylophenidate

>Maybe if you're a millennial
are you pretarded or just retending?

Is chapel literally the best language ever?
>contains first-class concepts for concurrent and parallel computation
>lambdas
>no gc
>backed by DARPA

I have no idea how to Javascript
How do you handle getting values out of elements that have different structures?
In the example I want to get the image adress of any Sup Forums post.
You can see that the list element 0 works just fine (I want to loop through later). However, it does not work for element 1, because it is not an OP-post, so the structure is different.
Please show me a good method of solving this, so I can learn from it.

>some literally who marketing guy is asking if anyone uses prototyping for market research
What's your point exactly? Ignoring the fact that he's not even advocating the use of prototypes, you're not exactly A/B testing your personal projects either...

I forgot, the structure is also different if someone uses the Sup Forums X extension or the bare website, what method would I use to make it work on both?

Hey guys, anyone know how to get MATLAB for free? I need it for school. I will be using it on Linux (Debian)

Your school should give it to you if you need it

students can get it for free for one month or something like that.
Use gnu octave, maxima or literally any free alternative that does the fucking same,

>using a non-free language
Join us now and share the software;
You'll be free, hackers, you'll be free.
Hoarders can get piles of money,
That is true, hackers, that is true.
But they cannot help their neighbors;
That's not good, hackers, that's not good.
When we have enough free software
At our call, hackers, at our call,
We'll kick out those dirty licenses
Ever more, hackers, ever more.

I get everything from rutracker

How is everybody doing? I am working on a simple Ruby script to send raw IP packets at a network adapter to test a driver I modified.

I have to use MATLAB dude.