Is now a bad time to buy an SSD?

I noticed prices seem to have gone up from the last time I looked. Is there a new excuse such as a flood in making the prices artificially high, or are they normally this price?

If they're expected to come down I'll wait on the purchase, if they are going to be like this for the next year then I'll just buy now. Anyone know?

Other urls found in this thread:

koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2016/03/133_200570.html
tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-hdd-shortage-nand-market,news-54328.html
amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-275GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484720220&sr=8-1&keywords=275gb ssd
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Demand and offer. Everyone wants a SSD now, so the price will continue to go up

120gb is enough for everybody

I don't think that's quite right though, the ssd market is currently saturated with low-speed low storage drives, and the quantity is no where near scarce enough to imply a supply and demand hike. especially since the weaker drives are marked up to be almost as much as the high-end drives.

like the 850 pro being $5 dollars more than the evo of the same size

for the OS and a couple vidya it's fine but not much more

Samshit and a few other NAND makers have cut down on supply to artificially hike up prices because they don't want SSD prices to keep dropping.

Samshit basically cut their memory investment in half last year and the market is feeling it.
koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/tech/2016/03/133_200570.html

Why are the prices up so high then? If there isn't a scarcity what's driving them up?

>120gb is enough for everybody
1TB is enough for me.
>Still puts bigger things on HDDs

FUCKING THIS

So then it's a bad time to buy an SSD and I should wait until samgook stops being cunts?

If you ask Sup Forums it will never be a good time to buy an SSD, just fucking get one SK hynx SL 308 and shut up about it.

>SK hynx SL 308

Are those any good? They're so cheap it makes me feel they're lower quality. Are they just a non-Jew company?

Everybody sucked their dick in another thread. Usually new companies like this one make little profit on products to make their name famous, some even at loss, like reportedly Lexus, who might have sold their LS (Again the same model name) model at a loss, just to step into the NA market. I think this is the case here.
I just bought an 850 evo as I live in a shithole and the the cheapest viable option was like $10 less and I decided to just go out and buy whatever is the best.

120 gb is a horrible, awful thing to recommend to someone. Worst read/write speeds and endurance levels. 120 gb is never enough.

Performance is very similar to the 850 EVO. I'm gonna give the hynx a shot since it's 60 dollars cheaper.

Ddr3 ram costs twice as much as last year in my country. And i was about to buy some, but now idk. Is it gonna go down soon-ish, or dd3 is getting outdated and its just gonna go even higher?

Old news

> tomshardware.co.uk/ssd-hdd-shortage-nand-market,news-54328.html

Now is the time to buy. 3D NAND SSDs from Crucial and ADATA is rapidly rising due to demand and lack of competition other than Samsung. Planar stuff is also steadily rising due to general demand for SSDs and the industry's shortage game.

SSD is a meme, just stick with HDD. less pricy, more spacy. You literally never gonna see the difference, unless you're doing something specific that require r/w speed to be optimal. And don't say to me "uuuh but my vidya is not gonna be 120fps" its a meme too, the ssd is critical only for loading times, when you don't play and you wait for the game to load. So unless you're a speedrunner you don't need a ssd.
/thread

Works a little different with electronics. Economy of scales will bring the cost down.

If you want an SSD buy an Intel 600p. They cost less $/GB then most SATA SSD's. They're laggy, and slower under database-like loads.The sequential write is way faster then SATA (if you get the 256GB). The warranty is 2 years longer then samsung.

>doesn't own an SSD
ftfy,

op, it makes everything better. Apps will load better, games will have shorter load times and you will have quicker boot times. Most of the time your computer is waiting for input or for the memory to load before the cpu can do anything. Why anyone talks shit about them here are resentful poorfags that can't reach the grapes.

>Everybody sucked their dick in another thread.

Sup Forums has a habit of sucking the dicks of the lowest quality garbage available because it fits their retarded "budget PC" obsession. Remember you only need a single core and 4GB of RAM up until 2016 according to thsi retarded board.

>Most of the time your computer is waiting for input or for the memory to load before the cpu can do anything.
>quicker boot time
>shorter load times

as i said, you won't see the difference. Unless maybe you're retarded and restart your apps every two minutes, even then it doesn't justify the price and poor storage capacity.

is there any gain in having an smaller ssd for os and a larger for storage these days? or is it pretty much moot now

or partitioning one larger ssd in the same way, smaller os, larger storage

you really don't get how processes work on modern operating systems
browsers cache to disk constantly

It just depends on your use case. For example, if you compile very large C++ projects having quicker access to files can cut down on large compile times. Some people genuinely do not need modern computer performance.

>What is the page cache?
For that case you'd want more RAM. SSD help cold boot performance when stuff hasn't been slurped into RAM yet and also helps when you have very large files that don't fit into RAM.

buy enough ram to have all your programs open in it then your argument would make sense

>see people complaining about SSD prices
>check on newegg
>literally the first thing I see on their front page

seems quite decent
1TB is 349$

>he keeps large amounts of data on flash storage
>anything meant for archival on flash storage
Enjoy having to transfer that data to magnetic storage eventually, or have electrons leak and corrupt data in a months/years when left unpowered.

those some of the lowest end SSDs you can buy, they also used to be $150 2 months ago.

The bigger and better versions are coming out. That's probably what you're looking at.

Buy a used SSD

x400 series isn't low end, it has a 5 year warranty and it supports OPAL and uses like 70mW of power, far lower than most shit on the market, they are extremely reliable.

Also SanDisk invented flash.

Looks nice user. I think 1TB is overkill though. 512GB I'd go for.

I'm here to shill this Crucial SSD. It's like 4x faster than my old HDD. Highly recommend.

amazon.com/Crucial-MX300-275GB-Internal-Solid/dp/B01IAGSD5O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484720220&sr=8-1&keywords=275gb ssd

you are retarded so why would anyone listen to what you say?

>normies
CS Major
L33T

>TLC
Retard. Enjoy lower endurance or worse, complete loss of data after not having used your SSD for a couple of weeks.

greedy sacks of shit and stupid sacks of shit who buy into the brainwashing that greedy sacks of shit tell them they neeeed an ssd.

512 is enough for anyone.

By NVME SSDs. SATA is cucktier now.

Go for the Intel SSD.

What's wrong with SATA, why is NVME superior?

It's never a bad time to buy an SSD.

Just make sure you buy a decent one.

nvme literally uses a pcie slot. its the best on the market right now. sata is fine im just joking but it will (probably) be phased out for nvme in the future.

Damn that sounds awesome. No cable, no annoying drive slot. Just plug into the pcie. Thanks for that tip gonna go with that.

>Intel 600p
Good goyim.
I might look them up for an eventual upgrade with Zen this year. I paid $400 for TLC flash 1TB SSD 3 years ago, why are the SSDs still this expensive?

insane read and write speeds too. the intel 750 is the best on the market right now for consumers i believe.it'll cost u a pretty penny though.

>No big break-throughs
>Whoever wanted to buy one, has already bought one
>Market is not expanding
>Not enough competition
>They have already profited enough, so there is no need to bring prices down.

>a couple of weeks

more like a couple of years, you idiot

>profited enough
That's a very bad phrase for Businessland. You'd be thrown out of the window.

Some are a little cheaper now, but Crucial hasn't been doing so hot for a few years. Maybe optane and Samsung's implementation might bring prices down. I want my high capacity SSDs here already.

As I said, whoever wanted one, bought one. Look up BGC matrix. Simple as that, they made a new market from a question mark to a star in just 5 years and now they are collecting money with no real investment into marketing, broader audience and normies.

There's still space for whoever wanted two or more. They're still not done. Maybe 3-5 more years.

I don't have one and I want one, but I refuse to buy at these Jew prices. They will net a sale from me and people like me when they reasonably price them. If not, we'll just never buy. Sucks to be us since they'll probably never stop jewing but oh well.

Reminder that no one has enough data to make profound statements about SSD longevity.

Anyone who says SSDs are a meme clearly haven't tried one over a hard drive.

Maybe I'm just autistic but I love the consistently fast boot and load times in comparison to my old hard drive which degraded an awful amount over a year or so and I certainly would never go back to a standard hard drive for my main OS and software.

Obviously for storage and archival purposes then you'll definitely be wanting to go for a hard drive to store that on for reliability, but for just OS, some software and games a SSD is definitely worth it.

I fully expect SSDs to keep climbing in price for a good while, with all the new CPU releases coming and people going for upgrades, it'll only get worse.

That's why they went under and got bought by WD right?

i use a old 64gb ssd for windows 7 and it still has 10 gb free so i wont upgrade for now

I got a 850 evo 250gb for like $78 a year ago exactly. How should I feel?

No, the SSD doesn't throttle to slower than hdds speeds when under full load like 95% of other budget brands. Its just short of being a 850 evo. Maybe fuck off with your assumptions, ok?

The 600p is dogshit. It will get WORSE than sata speed on many work loads. Talk about cucked, why do you think its so cheap?

You can expect the prices on SSDs and RAM to keep on rising through the entire year.
Better get it now if you're going to buy one.

How are the read/write speeds and endurance levels affected by the size of the storage?

Less cells to shove the data into, basically. The endurance rating doubles when you go over 120gb, as usually does the speed. Im surprised this is a new concept to people.

Yes it is.
Wait until Q3, when 64-layers 3D-Vnand ssds will be released.

I'm still enjoying my 32GB ssd
I don't know why you need more tbqh
Unless you jerk to benchmarks

sure, good idea to buy 120gb when 256gb is only 20% more expensive (or even less)

>there are people in this thread who don't own a SAMSUNG 960 PRO

Any news on when they'll come out?

Intel said they were releasing last year, I think they're having some problems. I have no idea about Samsung's implementation. Hopefully it's this year, since Intel is probably usable only in Intel chipsets.

Doesn't it throttle like a bitch? Also, the 1TB is very expensive while the 2TB model is the price of a very good computer. I'd rather wait for optane and ZNAND.

I'm planning on getting a new PC after almost a decade, I really hope they will by the end of summer atleast.

>Buying a Pro when the Evo is nearly as good for much less money

its fine for now, but at one point 250 will basically be the new standard.

They are pretty good actually and are a large manufacturer of GDDR5/HBM.

Given their past experience and always having great memory that overclocks well I don't see why their ssds would be shit.

I have a 64GB Crucial C300, aka the first Sata3 SSDs.
Should I change and get something better ?
Will I see the difference ?

>>No big break-throughs
>>Whoever wanted to buy one, has already bought one
>>Market is not expanding
>these

Lmao you think you consumer cucks matter? Flash is being advanced by enterprise sales.

SSD could sweep HDD by drastically dropping prices but the margins are way too profitable and the HDD industry might be lobbying an agreement to transition in a longer time frame to offer both solutions, in the meantime the actual reliability and proof of concept testing through time is underway

>Usually new companies like this one
>SK Hynix
>New company
Look at him, look at him and laugh.

Should I buy a 240 GB SanDisk SSD Plus? Its 73 yuroshekels here (78 bucks)

120gb is the kind of thing i shit out when i run one experiment

850 PRO instead around 130 bucks, 10yr warranty Sandisks don't have VNAND which matters

It'll be alright if it's the G25 version. The G25 version is MLC which was replaced by the newer G26 TLC