RX 480

Best RX 480 variant? Looking to build a PC and I am conflicted with a $164 4 GB deal of pic.related and this plebbit (yes I am that desperate) crap : reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/5ofz6s/gpu_asus_strix_rx_480_8gb_08g_1835324019/

Other urls found in this thread:

techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/RX_480_Gaming_X/
reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/5ofz6s/gpu_asus_strix_rx_480_8gb_08g_1835324019/
techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

When I was gonna buy an RX 480 I was undecided between a Gigabyte G1 Gaming 4GB for £190 and Sapphire Nitro for £225.

In the end I got a used R9 380 for £75...

I don't look forward to buying a used GPU but thanks anyway.

PS get that 8GB card, if its not a scam that's a ridiculous steal.

But I heard the overheats/driver issues from the reviews of it, while XFX has barely none and many people here said it is the better of the RX 480s. That 8GB though.

Overheats: Watch the temperatures when you get the card. See what happens. You can always make a custom fan profile if the temperatures are a problem.

Driver issues: There should not be any difference between manufacturers as far as drivers are concerned. All the chips are the same AMD silicon.

RX 480 is aimed for 1080p, there is 0 reason to get the 8 gb version.

Devil 13. With the overclock bios.

Beyond that there are few differences between the AIBs.

The Best is MSI Gaming
hands down, check reviews and pay attention to loudness, temps, fan rpm, passive parts of the cooling

asus was a complete cluster fuck, they reused heatsinks from nvidia aimed gpus with heatpipes not fitting well enough, it shown in temps

sapphire was very awaited, their triX cooling on 290/390 cards were absolutely amazing, but they kinda mehed it on rx480, not as quiet as expected, not as cool as expected

I remember I read about some surprisingly good card, maybe powercolor, maybe some other less used brand, but dont remember

anyway, long story short - MSI

techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/RX_480_Gaming_X/

8GB lets you have a 4k ready machine.

Buy a 4k monitor with freesync and be able to run 4k games while you wait for an upgrade.

Much better resale value. OP will easily get the difference between the 4GB and 8GB models back, and if the 8GB gives him better performance (which it might) then that can be considered a bonus.

For example, look at R9 270X cards - the 4GB versions sell for WAY more than 2GB version, even though the usefulness of the 4GB is questionable.

Mirror's Edge 2016 freezes with 4GB VRAM on max.

I was gonna argue who plays that shit, but then I noticed your trips

What about when games say shit like this?

No point having the ability to run the very high textures, if you will just get 20 FPS with them anyway...

The only thing you need for high textures is VRAM to store them in there.

rx480 4gb is fine if you dont want to go above 1080p, minor difference in fps, but i'd get the 8gb if the price difference is under $30

When I was going to buy whole new PC around October, I couldnt get MSi version of 8gb at shops, so I bought Sapphire "Nitro+ OC".

Runs pretty fine so far, with one exception - on my Windows 7 installation (not fresh one, I transfered it from previous PC via sysprep) whenever my screen switch off due to inactivity, switching it on produce "plug-in" sound and it takes second or two to turn on.

Its not as loud as everyone was warning me about, but maybe Im just used to loud PCs. During heavy usage (like playing games) I mostly listen to everything else than GPU fans, when under load, card can switch off fans completely (it stays around 50C then). During use it reach 70-75C rather quickly, then adjust fan speed to keep that temperature (the highest fan speed I got so far was around 2200 rpm, which according to GPU-Z was only 60% of max fan speed).

I like what I have.

I am seeing 480 8gb between $266 and $290. Is that too much? The Nitro is $290.

>reddit.com/r/buildapcsales/comments/5ofz6s/gpu_asus_strix_rx_480_8gb_08g_1835324019/

Considering that 8GB is $183 in the OP, damn right it's too much.

dunno, depends on country, i dont even know what 4gb cards usually cost for you. here in germany i think it's only worth to go 4gb when you can find a card on sale

Same experience here, but I got the 4 GB version, but I never get above 72 C without overclocking, and that is without using msi afterburner.

You mean you get that screensaver bug too?

Ah no, not that.

Oh, I feared that this is model fault, maybe it is related with sysprep and how my Win7 copy is not fresh install.

No, its not like I dont have key, I do, I just dont have time to set up everything again and install all those updates from last 6 years.

wrong, you need it for some games like Doom and its ultra shadows. Extra GB is never useless.

what game?

Rise of the Tomb Raider

you posted the best variant
also msi gaymen

xfx gtr is the best, gigabyte g1 has coil whine. powercolor devil is the cheapest 8gb when not on sale but isn't built that well. mine does fine undervolted with no oc

>R9 380 for £75

I bought an R9 285 for £68 just yesterday after selling my 1070 (since I was barely using it). Pretty pleased with the performance of it actually. Overclocked to 1075/1500 on stock voltage so far.

Rise of the Tomb Raider's warning is BS though. The game doesn't actually need that much VRAM even at 4K. It just fills extra memory if it's available. TPU's testing showed it using 7.6GB on a Titan X at 4K, yet the Fury X was still faster.

techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/Rise_of_the_Tomb_Raider/4.html

the msi gaymen XXX or the xfx rx480s are said to be the quietest and coolest of all the cards. Sapphires card has a quality build to it and an overclock already in place.

fucking kek man.
Fury X holding at 4th just behind the 980ti, then the titan x, and a 970 SLI, and then at 4k it just booty blasts all 3 of them out of nowhere, fuck I wish I waited and got a fury x on sale for $310 instead of my r9 390, but it still does the job.

People shit talk it, but the red devil has been great for me. Just flash your BIOS and don't run furmark.

or just get a GTX 1060 instead because AMD is the worst fucking company. bought a Gigabyte 390 thing ran hot and crashed constantly with no drivers at all. refunded within a week for a GTX 970. no regrets

I'd really like to get a Nano at some point, but they're still so fucking expensive, to the point that I could get a Fury X for less (but I don't want a CLC).

It doesn't overheat, if you're referring to the "fans don't kick in until 60c" that is by default because of the semi-passive heatsink, even Nvidia does that. So fire up a custom fan curve if those temperatures are scary.

My R9 380 fans didn't kick in by 50C. Or 60C. Or 70C. Or 80C...

Then I turned the PC off, and plugged in the fan connector.

Now it runs at 30-40C...

8GB Nitro has Samsung VRAM.
4GB Nitro is Hynix.
Screensaver bug seems unique to you.

>Then I turned the PC off, and plugged in the fan connector.
How the fuck were they plugged in at all in the first place?

The fan connector was plugged into the PCB, but knocked off at a slight angle that prevented one or two pins from making contact.

Huh.. that's interesting. Are you sure it isn't just different production runs? Do the models run at different memory clocks?

The 4GB RX 480's memory is clocked at 7GHz, whilst the 8GB model's is 8GHz. This is true across all brands, reference or not. As such, they use cheaper, lesser-rated Hynix chips. You can still overclock them to 8GHz (or very close to it), but then you can overclock an 8GB model's VRAM to 9GHz.

This is undoubtedly the coolest looking RX 480 on the market. Accept no substitute.

Yeah, Interesting.
Do other brands, like Gigabyte and MSI use Hynix on some of their 8GB boards as well?
It might make sense from a manufacturing perspective to make lower performance RX480's and use Hynix memory to save on cost, then go through a validation process for the cards, then flash and resell the failed cards as 4GB versions.

>ricer
Eww, no.
The Sapphire Nitro coolers are much nicer, especially with the backplate and top panel.

no it doesn't. stop chatting bullshit.

There haven't been any cards with 8GHz memory using Hynix chips to date, AMD or Nvidia. No idea why, but they're all Samsung or Micron.

xfx gtr is best. But if you can get the rs for that cheap, go for it.

Gigabyte and powercolor are by far the worst. Top picks would be xfx, msi, sapphire.

To add to this, MSI gaming x has the best overall cooling, as it will run cool and quite even with bad airflow. Sapphire has the highest factory overclock by a whopping 4 mhz over the XFX gtr. The XFX card given good airflow will run just as cool and quiet as the MSI while clocking up as high or higher than the nitro.

Shitty case / case fans: MSI
Good case / fans : Xfx
Fuck me, I love that backplate: Sapphire

first result says otherwise, accept defeat

>ASUS

no thank you

I got a Nitro+ 8GB yesterday, haven't put it in yet. Should I return it for the MSI one?

waiting if there will be a poor man's vega variant, right above the RX 480, before pulling the trigger on one.

i'll get real salty if that poor man's vega ends up being like a nano for the fury, which in my shit 3rd world country is actually more expensive than the fury x... around ~1400 usd.

>trusting what jewgle says
mkay

If you super duper can't wait, I've heard good things about MSI and Sapphire, so I guess compare prices and go from there.

If you're patient or not under a deadline, perhaps wait for Vega. The positives are twofold - one, if it's as great as everyone hopes (ha!) then you get an excellent card at a decent price, and two, if it's sketchy as fuck, the price of the RX 480 should dip anyway, if only a little.

Just got a brand new XFX RX 480 for $120; how'd I do Sup Forumsentlmen?

where? Ive been waiting on a 470 to hit 120 before getting one

It was off craigslist. Dude listed the 8GB card for $150 but brought a 4GB version so I offered $120 for it since I already wasted an hour waiting for him and I didn't want to make the hour drive back empty-handed.