BSD And Other Things

/bsd/ - *BSD General Thread
Discuss FreeBSD, OpenBSD, NetBSD, DragonFlyBSD

Join the IRC: #baot @ irc.rizon.net

News sites: dragonflydigest.com | undeadly.org
Docs: freebsd.org/handbook | openbsd.org/faq | netbsd.org/docs

Potential Linux switchers welcome. Ask questions, get answers.

Other urls found in this thread:

debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/
wiki.freebsd.org/AddressSpaceLayoutRandomization
freshports.org/x11/gnome3
twitter.com/johalun/status/819039940914778112
lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-June/002629.html
netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?intro 4.sparc
wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook
wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Can I install systemd on BSD distros?

happy ubuntu user here. what are the benefits of *bsd over ubuntu (vanilla) for a simple desktop user?

..Why would you want to?

>OpenBSD
Enjoy your FBI backdoors. FreeBSD is completely secure out of the box. Need more? Use a jail and other quality software.

How is FreeBSD on the desktop?

Anyone knows a good guide for setting up a server with jails and stuff? I'm thinking about spinning up a vps to learn about bsd in general, have some experience with linux servers.

What is the gentoo of BSD?

Why would you do that

can I run GNU/Linux with bsd kernel instead of linux?

systemd gives you fine-tooth control over system services and runlevels.
It's really quite awesome when you get into it.

debian.org/ports/kfreebsd-gnu/

A complete lack of systemd, a base system, stability as the main design criteria.

What does that even mean? You want to compile everything from source? Use ports on FreeBSD.

It's fine.

It also gives you system instability, a non-UNIX design philosophy, binary logs, and a software suite that was meant to be an init system but is now a bloated piece of shit designed by a Redhat employee, who doesn't believe Linux should be a whole bunch of distributions and instead wants it to be one OS and similarily wants to get rid of POSIX compatability, for his laptop and forced down the throat of every user.

there was a discussion a bit ago about how freeBSD has no ASLR, i'm not really too smart in this field or anything but is this actually a big deal and if so why have they not sorted it yet? the other BSD's have it right?

Anything similar to appimages for FreeBSD?

And how is GNOME3 and wayland support?

more prone to overflow exploits

>non-UNIX design philosophy
systemd is split into about uh, 60 binaries as of a few years ago, it's more now
Each binary does a specific task
It's more UNIX than most inits, the only thing is that all the tools are in one repo- like BSD for instance

wiki.freebsd.org/AddressSpaceLayoutRandomization
Most of ASLR is implimented in FreeBSD, there are some minor features that are disabled.

I don't know what AppImages are - and can't see the appeal of it, even on Linux. If I'm a super-user I'll install the software, and if I'm not I ask someone who is, or root, to install it for me.
Gnome3 is in ports and pkg: freshports.org/x11/gnome3
Based on twitter.com/johalun/status/819039940914778112 - Wayland & Weston is coming soon.

It's not more UNIX than most inits, just because it has multiple binaries, and that still doesn't address the numerous other issues. Nor does it address the facts that it userps existing and well-documented features like mount, cron, locale, udev or syslog for no other reason than Lennart refusing to learn how to do software interoperability.
All of which ties neatly into Lennarts idea that there should be only one Linux and it should not be POSIX compatible, because that's effectively what's happening where everything not Redhat GNU/Linux (or whatever the flavour of the month is called) is having to impliment more and more compatability layers just because 1 developer has some quite frankly anti-OSS ideas about how the world should work.

>disabled
missing.

always wanted one of those laptops just to fuck around on

though judging by how many ports OpenBSD has been killing lately I think it'll be useless soon

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not following the UNIX philosophy. Again, think BSD, think of it as everything in BSD's repo except the kernel. It's systemd+Linux. It's meant to be a whole system, in multiple small binaries that do small simple tasks, in one repo. Plus udev is one of those binaries that, as an example, works just fine without the rest of systemd around.

And just because you like it doesn't mean you have to ignore every other issue that it has - that's literally Stockholms syndrome.

I'm a Plan 9 fag, I HATE compatibility and legacy support. I think it's the main thing that holds us back and makes technology terrible. So those aren't issues for me, I like those.

i fucking hate freedesktop software so much holy shit

it's the reason i'm stuck using WM's, just to avoid it all

this is my favorite

Oh and what I hate more than compatibility and legacy support alone? POSIX, fuck that hot garbage fire trash. It is the epitome of how compatibility and legacy support ruin things. Burn it to the ground.

welcome to

hell even then i can't avoid it, fucking web browsers pull in d-bus and all that other shit and won't stop creating Desktop and Downloads folders in my home directory

just fucking stop, redhat

five years ago, still not fixed - last update is here: lists.freedesktop.org/archives/systemd-devel/2011-June/002629.html

Solid feature, if you ask me.

this is your init system

why are all these things in an init system?!

see
Not an init. A system. Imagine the BSD repo with everything but the kernel, that's what you're dealing with with systemd.

1) why can users shut down the system?
2) documentation, smockumentation
3) why can users s hut d own the system

So what you're saying is effectively: GNu/Linux Systemd, rm -rf .
RIP OSS.

I've had a pretty loaded SPARCstation 2 (48 MB RAM and dual 500MB disks) laying around forever and I think I'm finally going to order an NVRAM chip for it and run it headless maybe for text games or web surfing from older systems.

Anyone here ever tried sparc32 NetBSD on shit this old? Would it be any good over going with SunOS 4.x and tracking down a compiler from there? Security isn't really an issue, more application availability.

Yes, again, fuck backwards compatibility and standards in their ass.
Technology should move forward and do new things, not stick with the same fucking POSIX bullcrap forever.

Something seems wrong with this image..

NetBSD does support SPARCstation 2: netbsd.gw.com/cgi-bin/man-cgi?intro 4.sparc

Those who refuse to learn from history are doomed to repeat it. It's fairly evident for anyone who's been involved with OSS that systemd is becoming the new xorg in all its glory.

There is a thing called UbuntuBSD, if you feel like trying things out.

system500. kek.

>NetBSD does support SPARCstation 2
Yeah, I was kind of shooting in the dark seeing if anyone here had ever tried it on something that far back.

The SunOS software base is pretty much obliterated and impossible to find examples of but I've heard mixed accounts of NetBSD's practical performance I guess

I think that's enough fun with systemd for today.

NetBSD exists for one reason: To provide the same base system across as broad a spectrum of hardware as possible, irrespective of actual preformance of that hardware (or the lack of preformance, in some cases; like newer hardware where it can't necessarily take advantage of all the new-fangled features). That said, the base system is stable, maintained and more modern than the OS' most of those systems were born with. Why not give it a try?

you get to choose between a dead OS and an active OS that doesn't perform as well

>doesn't preform well
It preforms as well as one can expect on hardware like that. I have NetBSD running on a SHARP X68000 and it runs a lot better than the OS that came with it.

>go to thread
>openbsd/freebsd shitflinging and systemd bragging
meanwhile NetBSD 7.1 RC just got a working port of nouveau that actually can render OpenGL

yeah, i'm done shitposting about systemd. it just grinds my gears.

got a source on this? that's actually quite interesting

In this thread: butthurt old sysadmins unable or unwilling to move on to systemd…

itt: linux shitposters who think there should be only be one supreme os, and don't appreciate the ability to choose, because they don't remember what computing was like when there was no choice in os.

Yeah, fuck it, I'll just set up TME when I get back home and see how it runs in an emulated system first.

THe more I think about it networking would probably be less of a pain on a newer *BSD anyway... if the controller is properly supported. That enough makes it decently compelling I guess.

It's pretty obvious being on the bleeding edge is the least of my concerns, especially if the end result isn't that practical or unusably broken in some way. Hell I'd still pick SunOS in a heartbeat if I was going for a desktop configuration and the software was better archived to the point that I could at least find a good compiler.

I have successfully resisted posting ITT up until now.

Carry on

Is it bad then?

But I haven't resisted my urges to consume copious amounts of dicks

>itt: linux shitposters who think there should be only be one supreme os, and don't appreciate the ability to choose, because they don't remember what computing was like when there was no choice in os.
No, I believe that we should actually have choices instead of being trapped in an endless vortex of the same HORRIBLE standards implemented over and over. Do something fucking new.

what use is it when the new thing is so fucking bad?

plan 9 had potential, it didn't take off, end of story

Well as I said above, I like it. In fact a great deal of the 9front developers rather like it, compared to SysV and all the old even worse interfaces anyway

Can I have a jewbook machine and programming station on laptop with OpenBSD? Does it make just a slight sense?

well it has browsers and compilers

so i guess so

Could I rice it to shit? Does it support Wayland?

read the changelog, they fixed a bunch of things that prevented nouveau from rendering correctly or crashing the system

I think the port only supports pre-GTX9xx cards at this point, but people have said that 3D is working fine on 750ti cards...

>Could I rice it to shit?
yes
>Does it support Wayland?
no, maybe some day

Duvel.
Mijn vriend.

I wish OpenBSD had something like RBAC (grsecurity one) that would make it the perfect OS

If you want OpenBSD to have things, you misunderstand it

oh you mean every unix service possible, available, secure, and ready by deafult?

>Join the IRC: #baot @ irc.rizon.net

If it had Nvidia GPU better use FreeBSD at lest it had driver and more ports.
wiki.freebsd.org/AppleMacbook

Can I get KDE 5 packages for FreeBSD? I've heard about the area51 ports but I want to try it on my laptop with a shitty CPU.

Fine but not as good as OpenBSD.

>scsi
now that's something i haven't heard mentioned in a while.

bashing systemd is a meme. it's fine

patrician taste in hardware, software and beverages

SCSI is still used nowadays, just as iSCSI or SAS (Serial Attached SCSI). Good protocols don't disappear, they just evolve to fit the new needs.

I have an x201 for exactly that

Does it support suspend/resume on FreeBSD? I'm in the market for a new laptop, and since Apple has gone the way of the consumer, I'm going back to ThinkPad (which makes me question ever leaving, but I digress).

:^)

>wiki.freebsd.org/Laptops

can install proprietary drivers for my gtx 960
and can i install playonlinux
if so count me in

Have you heard of google? Literally the first result for each of queries related to those two questions will answer both of those, which are yes and yes respectively.

Found a used W530 with a new battery and the exact configuration I'm looking for, and it appears that everything (including the WWAN adapter) works.

Schol!

for what price?

nice answer bro

ur hardcore lol

w530 is such a nice computer like one of the best laptops I know of

>!beaStIe/2
that's "leet speak", right? pretty new to this stuff

934 USD. Predictably, ThinkPads hold their value rather well.

I wasn't trying, as you put it, to be "hardcore", but it shouldn't be necessary to ask questions like that and wait for an answer, instead of just googling for it.

We'll see - ThinkPads certainly have earned their reputation; used to have one back in the day, but I got distracted by the shiny that was OSX (back then) and Macbook Pros..

Well, no. It's just that the regex used to generate my tripcode allowed both upper- and lower-case characters, and I wanted a tripcode with the nickname for the FreeBSD mascot - so it turned out like that.

It's HEXSPEAK. Look it up. Common amoung hackers.

cool. what are they used for and can I have one too?

Hahahahahahaha

That computer looks like shit

Altho it's nice a nice duvel i'm sure you're a fat fuck

>being this ignorant posting in Sup Forums

lurk moar

>thinks i give a shit about their god

I'm a god damn mactoddler using macbook air for actual real normie work as photographer/videographer/graphical designer

eat shit nerdo

>to quickly

>Enjoy your FBI backdoors.

Care to point out where in the source code that you found them? No one else has been able to despite years of actively trying. Wait, you have independently audited the open and freely available code yourself haven't you? Your not full of shit are you?

Hi,

What are equivalents of showkey and setkeycodes in Openbsd?

>I'm a god damn mactoddler using macbook air for actual real normie work as photographer/videographer/graphical designer

They are hidden as security vulnerabilities like shellshock.

The proof that OpenBSD is complacent is the evidence that they knew their software was vulnerable before a release but didn't fix it, handing out OpenBSD cds that were vulnerable.

Never heard of this. Where is this evidence that they know about the vulnerability and didn't fix it?

They had it patched but not on their full release. You had to update after installing to get the fix.

That's they're typical modu oparandi though. They only do a new full release every 6 months. No deviation from that, thats the way its always been. For anything in between they have errata patches which everyone knows about anyway.

They had the files patched before the release.

They didn't fix the release because they didn't want to.